Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Glimpses  by sheraiah

Disclaimer: It isn’t stealing, it’s borrowing without permission.

 

 

 

Title: Glimpses

Rating: a cautious R

Spoilers: my stories and FOTR

Beta: none, but I’m taking applications. I do have a beta for one of my stories, but don’t want to overwork her, wonderful soul that she is.

Dedication: My movie buddy and co-worker Marianne. Are we up for our 3rd and 4th viewing of Pirates this weekend?

Warnings: Just Legolas and Aragorn ripping on each other and some abuse of food products

 

 

*********************************************************************************************

 

 

 

“Pippin, drop that bread! You know we have to wait for Legolas.” Frodo fixed his young cousin with a stern look. Pippin scowled and placed the bread back in the bowl.

 

“ But Frodo, he is late already and it is way past supper time. How much longer do we have to wait?” Pippin’s ill-humor increased as his hunger did. Merry pulled Pippin back from the food to sit next to him, slipping a pilfered bit of fruit to the younger hobbit, unseen by Frodo but not by Aragorn who smiled and held his peace. The stay in Lorien had served to restore their strength and their souls, at least in part. A moment later, Aragorn spoke up.

 

“ Your torment is over, Pippin, the late one has arrived.” He grinned at the elf who merely cocked an eyebrow at him in response. Aragorn’s grin turned mischievous. “ Legolas, you really should time your trysts better. Pippin nearly perished from hunger.” As much as Aragorn’s comment shocked the rest of the Fellowship, the flush that suffused Legolas’ face and ears at said comment came as more of a surprise. The elf’s eyes narrowed and he uttered a quick retort in Sindarin. Frodo’s mouth fell open in shock, but Aragorn’s grin only widened.

 

“ Legolas, I am surprised at you! Do you kiss the ladies with that mouth?” If anything the elf’s blush deepened, and Aragorn could not resist needling him further. “ Who was it this time?” Legolas pulled his dignity around him and lifted his chin to glare down his nose at the human.

 

“ Unlike Elladan and Elrohir, I do not discuss certain aspects of my life; which is why I get far more repeat invitations than they do. Ladies do not appreciate being discussed like archery targets.” A sudden thought crossed his mind at that and he cocked his head inquisitively at Frodo. “ Is it the same with Hobbit maidens, Frodo?” The hobbit flushed a bit but answered.

 

“ Yes, actually it is. I would imagine it to be the same for ladies of any race.” He studiously avoided eye contact with Pippin. Legolas nodded and seated himself picking up a piece of meat pastry and nibbling on it thoughtfully. Pippin needed no other encouragement and proceeded to feed himself. The other members of the Fellowship followed suit. Silence reigned for several minutes, then Boromir spoke up.

 

“ Legolas, forgive me if I am prying, but I am curious. Is this the normal custom for elves? I was under the impression that such activity was reserved for one’s bonded partner.” Boromir’s gaze was serious, if curious and although he flushed a bit at the question, Legolas took it as it was meant and answered honestly.

 

“ It is not uncommon for unbonded elves to seek pleasure with other unbonded elves. Is it not so among humans?”

 

“ It is almost expected for men, but frowned upon for ladies.” Boromir’s answer clearly confused the elf and the man of Gondor attempted to explain, “ There are certain women that exist for that purpose among humans, but they are not considered ladies.”

 

“ Well, I grant you that most parents among my kind frown on their children pursuing such activities, but rarely is it considered dishonorable. Mostly it is attributed to high spirits.”

 

“ Or youth,” Aragorn threw in, grinning wickedly at the elf. Legolas threw a bit of bread at him.

 

“ So say you from the great height of eighty years. You are but a babe next to me and do not forget it, Estel!” Legolas punctuated his retort by throwing yet another piece of bread which Aragorn ducked.

 

“ Be that as it may, tithen ernil [ princeling ], you are still the youngest elf I have ever met.” Aragorn lobbed a bit of bread back at Legolas, hitting him in the chest. Legolas rolled his eyes dramatically.

 

“ Aragorn, your jealousy is showing! It is not my fault that your lady is far from here and you must suffer without her.” Legolas grinned, perceiving that his barb had hit its mark by the faint flush on Aragorn’s face. Aragorn lobbed yet another hunk of bread in Legolas’ direction, missing him by a wide margin. Legolas shook his head sadly. “ It is even beginning to affect your aim.” That prompted Aragorn to lob a rather soft piece of fruit at the elf. This one did not miss its target, impacting squarely between the prince’s eyes.

 

“You were saying, Desk Boy?” Aragorn’s grin was decidedly evil. Legolas scraped the fruit off his face, the look in his eyes boding ill for Aragorn, who immediately leapt up and headed for the trees at a full run. The elf was after him a heartbeat later and the two disappeared from sight. Samwise heaved a longsuffering sigh.

 

“ I supposed we will have to go cut Strider down from another tree.” The hobbit returned calmly to his meal.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List