Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Graduation  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Ten - Best Efforts

Eglantine quietly stepped into the parlour where her husband and Saradoc were having a smoke and a chat. She tenderly wrapped her arms round Paladin’s neck from behind, gently kissing his neck. “The lasses have all settled into bed, love, if you want to kiss them goodnight.”

“Hullo, dearest,” Paladin greeted his wife, returning her gesture with a peck on her lips. “Of course I do!” He then pulled out his pocket watch upon its silver chain. “Half past ten o’clock!” he said. “Tell them I’ll be there in a few minutes, if you please.”

Paladin gazed over to the game table in the far corner; Pippin and Merry were talking and snickering in low volumes while playing draughts, study books scattered upon the tea table near the couch. And upon the couch lay a slumbering form who went by the name of Degger--his own study book lay open in an awkward position in his arms. After supper, the three lads and Pervinca got together for a quick study session for tomorrow’s exam.

Rather than yell across the room and risk disturbing the sleeping teen, Paladin rose from his chair, crossing the expanse of the room in a few strides.

“Pippin!” he softly spoke to his son, “You were supposed to be in bed by ten o’clock--seems neither one of us was watching the time closely. Come now--you both can finish the game tomorrow.”

Reluctantly, but obediently, Pippin got up and then promptly yawned. “All right,” he said.

“What are we going to do about Degger?” asked Merry with a nod in the lad’s direction.

“Poor lad is exhausted. He’ll just have to sleep here on the couch tonight,” answered Paladin, “He’s no longer the little lad that I brought home six years ago, so lifting him is out of the question. Pippin, fetch me your extra quilt from in your wardrobe, if you please.”

While Pippin went to retrieve the requested item, Saradoc took his leave, bidding his brother-in-law a good night. Saradoc did feel that it was in his son’s best interest to sleep in a familiar environment in order to be fully rested for the exam, however, thereafter Merry was expected to join his family in the Master’s suite.

Pippin soon returned with the bundled quilt in his arms, putting it upon the tea table.

“Thank you, Pip,” said Paladin, “now off with you to get ready for bed--I’ll be there soon to kiss you good night.”

Once everybody had left the parlour, Paladin carefully extracted the book from between Degger’s arms, placing it on the tea table with the rest of his books. Paladin next unfolded the quilt, covering the youth and then tucked the ends in underneath the couch cushions--fortunately without disturbing the lad. He stole a glance at the sleeping young teen; this sweet-natured waif had been through so much in just seven short years, thus Paladin did not feel the least bit guilty for indulging the lad whenever possible. Except when it came to Pippin.

Paladin stoked the low fire in the hearth before taking another look at the sleeping teen. “Sleep well, Degger,” whispered Paladin. Turning down the only lit lantern, the Thain-in-training stood up, walking quietly out of the room.

After bidding each of his daughters a goodnight, Paladin made a brief stop in his own room before making his way to Pippin’s bedroom. As he entered his son’s room, Paladin noticed a white blur dart from bed to bureau then back to bed again. Paladin folded his arms across his chest, eyeing his young son, “Just what were you doing, Pippin?”

“Nothing, Papa,” answered Pippin ever so innocently.

“Nothing my eye,” said Paladin with a slight grin. He ambled over to where he saw Pippin scurry to and from. “Just as I thought.”

“I only ate one,” Pippin confessed.

And a half,” said Paladin, taking a bite out of the half-eaten apple Pippin hastily hid under his wash towel. Paladin opened the top drawer of his son’s desk, revealing a dozen more shiny red apples in addition to one dried core and one fresh core--both cleaned down to the cartilage. Paladin knew Pippin had always kept a few apples in his desk, both here and at Whitwell, but a dozen? He surmised that his little laddie was getting ready for his first growth spurt. “You may as well finish it,” Paladin said round his own mouthful of apple. He took out the cores before shutting the drawer, then climbed into bed beside Pippin, handing his son the sweet fruit to finish off. “And don’t forget to pitch those old cores I laid on top in the morning.”

Pippin was quite surprised with his father tucking himself under the bed covers with him; he hadn’t done this since moving from Whitwell six weeks ago. The slim lad munched on his apple while making room for the larger hobbit. “What’s the occasion?” he asked.

“None, really,” replied Paladin. “However, your uncle made me realise earlier that I had been missing out on something very, very important.”

“What is that?”

Getting himself comfortable in the bed, Paladin placed his free hand on the other side of Pippin’s face, gently bringing the near side of his bulging cheek closer for a loving kiss. “You!” he said with a smile. “And your sisters. I have been terribly lacking when it comes to spending time with my family of late. I hope you will forgive me.”

“I do,” said Pippin. He took another bite of the apple and smiled, snuggling up to his father.

Paladin nestled beside his son then draped an arm round him, drinking in the smell of apples in autumn. “I should also ask a question of you--and I pray that you answer truthfully.”

Pippin stopped chewing; this sounded serious. He laid aside his apple (pretty much a bare core by now) and turned to face his father. “What is it, Papa?”

Paladin took in a deep breath and then forged ahead. “Have you ever felt jealous over the time I have spent with Degger?”

“Jealous?” Pippin repeated almost absently. He mulled it over for a minute before answering. “Well…I guess I have felt a little jealous at times. You’re my papa, yet…I know Degger needs a papa, too.”

“Ah, my sweet lad,” sighed Paladin, kissing his son’s honey-brown ringlets. “I am so sorry. *I can’t explain why, but…for some strange reason I feel as if that responsibility has been placed upon my shoulders.”

Merry would always be the brother that Pippin wished for while Degger would always remain the good and loyal friend. In his young mind, Pippin didn’t object to that. Pippin snuggled as close to his father as he could get when he uttered his next words. “I suppose…if I’m to share my papa with another lad--or lads, then my choices would be Merry and Degger--but I don’t think I want to share you with any more than that. Is that all right?”

“It’s very much all right,” Paladin said softly, still snuggling his son. “No more ‘other’ lads.” He kissed Pippin on his brow, “Always know that you are my flesh and blood, Pippin. You are my first-born and only son--my rightful heir. You know how much I love Merry and why. And as for Degger, he does desperately need a papa right now--and a good friend or two never goes amiss.” Paladin smiled when his son kissed him in return. He whispered, “I love you, Pippin, and I truly admire you.”

Pippin grinned; no one had ever admitted admiration of him before--especially a grown-up. “I love you, too, Papa.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pippin was shocked into the world of the living when he awoke to the sound of a tingling hand bell beside his ear.

“Wake up, Master Sluggard!” said Merry, a gleam of mischief in his blue eyes.

“Oy!” shouted Pippin in effort to be heard above the noise. He pushed Merry’s hand away, “Can’t a hobbit-teen get proper sleep round here?”

Merry laughed, sitting himself down upon his cousin’s bed. “Not today, you slug. Today is the exam,” he said. “It’s seven o’clock; Aunt Tina sent me in to fetch you from your beloved slumber. First breakfast is on the table, so hurry up.”

After breakfast, Pippin, Merry, Pervinca, and Degger all headed to the study room for the long awaited exam. When they entered, Ferumbras was already seated with the official documents set before him on Miss Hemlock’s desk. He did not greet any of the students, and he received none in return. Without a word, the Thain began passing round the exam papers and scraperboards. Suddenly his voice broke through the silence in the room.  “There will be no talking, no cheating. Anyone caught doing so will be expelled from the exam and immediately dismissed from the study group. Have I made myself clear?”

“Yes,” they all answered.

“You,” Ferumbras singled out one of the students, “Degger; you will take your things and sit at the desk over in the far corner.”

This corner was known as Pippin’s time-out spot whenever he acted out during studies. Ever the bold one, Pippin demanded, “Why? What has he done wrong?”

“Silence!” Ferumbras shouted at the lad. “I owe no one an explanation. The exam will begin in less than one minute, so I suggest to the slowcoach servant here to make due haste.”

Degger didn’t argue--he merely picked up his books and removed himself to the far corner as directed. Pippin was not happy; he made a mental note to tell his father about Cousin Ferumbras’ behaviour.

“Begin.” Ferumbras’ voice echoed throughout the room.

For the first hour, the only noise in the room was the steady ticking of the pendulum clock upon the wall. The sound of papers being ruffled could be heard every now and then, however, silence, for the most part, reigned inside the children’s study. Ten minutes into the second hour, Pippin was the first child to rise from his seat, handing the Thain his finished exam. Not a word was exchanged between them…initially. Pippin stole a glance in Degger’s direction as he made his way toward the door. He hesitated, seeing Degger hover close to his paper, nervously tapping his quill upon the blotter.

“You are to leave the room, Peregrin Took,” Ferumbras commanded in a low tone. Too bad he didn’t use this tone with his overbearing mother. “The rest of you have fifty minutes to complete your exam,” Ferumbras added, aiming a smug grin toward Degger. The Thain’s remark had the desired affect; when Degger looked up, Pippin recognised the expression of shear terror on the teen’s face. Pippin crossed his fingers for his friend.

Five minutes later, Merry was next to get up, handing in his exam. Ten more minutes passed when Pervinca finally got up, handed her finished exam to the Thain and then left. Degger was the only child remaining.

Ferumbras rose up from his chair to stretch his legs, but found the act to be a bit distracting--for Degger. The elder hobbit had an idea. He continually paced about the room, particularly where the boards creaked under his feet; noting that it broke the concentration of the teen. He sighed quite audibly in an attempt to express his impatience with waiting for the last exam. He took his pocket watch out of his waistcoat pocket, opened the lid, then shut it loudly. Ferumbras performed various methods of distraction for the next twenty five minutes. He finally walked over to the window and opened the sheers…and then the window. A swift warm breeze swept through the room--and Degger’s papers. Degger tried to catch the papers to no avail before they blew to the floor.

Ferumbras grinned, watching the lad scurry across the room to pick up his lost papers. “Hurry up, lad--I don’t have all day to waste.” More ticking from the clock.

“Five minutes,” Ferumbras announced coldly.

Degger looked at the clock; he knew how to tell time, and the time he saw gave him eight minutes. But what are three minutes when the answers continually elude the examinee?

“Time.”

Sadly, Degger gathered is unfinished exam and his books, handing them to the invigilator on his way toward the door.

Ferumbras smiled gleefully, “I know you won’t disappoint me lad. You will utterly fail and no one will be happier to see it than me. You are an obtuse servant and will always remain so.”

Trudging down the hallway, Degger didn’t know what ‘obtuse’ meant; he’d have to consult his dictionary when he got back to his room.

TBC

* This bit was inspired by Garnet Took; remember Paladin's remark. ;-)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List