Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Graduation  by PIppinfan1988

A/N: Oh, how I wanted to continue on with Paladin and Ferumbras butting heads, but, unfortunately, this tale is not about them.  I am working on a different story that will portray Paladin and his family adjusting to Great Smials under the current Thain.  Now on with today's update...

Chapter Seven - Merry Takes Counsel

Paladin quietly stepped into his private study; the children sat upon the couch near to the window. He took one of the chairs that were set on the other side of the tea table between them. He said not a word for a long minute, allowing his mind to calm down from the recent altercation between him and his cousin moments ago.

“Father? Are you all right?” To Pervinca, her father appeared haggard, as if the entire world sat upon his shoulders. She quickly got up from the couch; going over to the hearth, she proceeded to make him a cup of hot tea. Merry and Pippin, too, saw the fatigue in his eyes, though neither had to wonder much about this. Merry read the signs that his uncle and the Thain did not get along. Inwardly, he breathed a sigh of relief that his own dad and granddad Rory did not behave in this manner while in training as the Master. Pippin, for his part, had heard snippets--mostly in overheard conversations between his eldest sister, Pearl, and their mother--or sometimes via imparted observations from Merry himself.

“Thank you, Sweet Pea,” said Paladin, then took a careful sip of the tea. There was really nothing left for him to say to his daughter; he merely wanted the children to be out of earshot when he and Ferumbras exchanged words. “You may go now.”

Pervinca gave a surprised look to her brother and cousin, and then spoke hesitantly to her father. “You’re not going to punish me?”

“No, I am not,” Paladin said, taking another sip of his tea. “However…I should caution you about performing such tasks for in the future.” Paladin was never short on lectures. “I realise you did what you did for Degger’s sake, Vinca, but henceforth have a care. I will never reproach any of my children for aiding a servant in a time of urgent need, however, I would advise that you choose these urgencies with utmost care. The servants are indeed employed to carry out a list of tasks throughout the day and are compensated through money for their troubles. If you are frequently found doing a servant’s labours, then that gives the impression that that servant is being excessively idle elsewhere. If the reason for this is a good one, then I am prepared to defend both yours and the servant’s actions to the rest of the family.” Paladin saw the many questions in his daughter’s facial expression. He looked to his nephew, “Merry? What shall you say? I’d like to hear what you have learned so far as one of the heirs to Brandy Hall and Buckland.”

Merry turned to Pervinca in answer, “Uncle Paladin is saying that even though he is--or will be--the Thain, he is accountable to the rest of the Tooks for the family’s coffer, which is the means by which the servants are paid. If the Tooks observe that a certain servant is, as Uncle Paladin said, constantly idle, the family will, in due course, elect to give that servant the sack because there isn’t enough work to keep him or her busy.” Pippin looked at his older cousin with pleasant surprise.

Paladin smiled at what his tweenaged nephew had learned so far at the hands of Saradoc and Rory. Paladin felt envious of the amiable environment Merry had in which to learn his duties, unlike his own. “Very good, Merry,” Paladin said in compliment.

Pervinca now worried over her actions. “I’m sorry, Papa. I didn’t think about that.”

“But you will, starting now--if I know you as well as I believe I do,” said Paladin. “I suspect your mother needs a bit of help with last minute details for your auntie and uncle’s visit. Why don’t you go and see what you can do for her, eh?” He rose up, giving his youngest daughter a loving embrace. “Off you go, now.”

When the door shut, Paladin turned his attention back to the lads. “Now for our wee chat.”

Pippin knew then that he and Merry had their own lecture coming--and it was not a pleasant prospect. At least, not for an energetic thirteen year old hobbit-lad.

“I wish you children had come to me first before mixing yourselves in all this mischief. I do see that your intentions were good ones, and I want to commend you both for it, however, Pippin, you cannot assist Degger any further. These studies are mainly for you and are part of the process of grooming you for your eventual inheritance.” Pippin winced; he knew what that entailed in regard to his father. “This is just the beginning, son. You have a lot more coming your way that I never had in my own preparation.” Paladin got up from his chair to sit beside Pippin on the couch. He wrapped an arm round the child’s slim shoulders. “This is for you, Pip. Farming is a very respectable vocation--make no mistake, but I saw that you were destined for more than just farming since you were a faunt.”

Pippin sighed in momentary thought. “I like my studies, for the most part, Papa,” he said to his father. “But some days, I wish I was still Little Pippin swinging on the hay rope in the barn.”

Paladin smiled faintly, considering his young son. “Well,” he spoke gentler, “maybe I can help with that. I admit that all of this learning can be overwhelming a bit to a lad of your age. Perhaps plenty of holidays with cousin Frodo in Hobbiton or in Buckland with Merry might help you adjust easier. What do you think?”

Pippin smiled wide. “I’d like that.”

“One final matter to address,” Paladin said more seriously. “The matter of your poem. You will apologise to your tutor and study mates tomorrow during morning studies. I should think that Miss Hemlock and your sister found it very offensive in more ways than one.”

“Aye, Papa.”

“And as for you--” Paladin turned to his nephew, only to find him in the middle of another great yawn, “You will go directly to your room and take a long nap. I shall wake you when your parents arrive. I suspect you have been helping Degger in the evenings and then stayed up into the wee hours of the night in order to complete your own night lessons, did you not?”

Merry nodded, wiping his burning, sleep-weary eyes. “The last few mornings I’d get up early in order to study for the exam.”

Paladin affectionately patted Merry’s knee, “Speaking of which is going to happen in the morning, so I recommend that you get a proper sleep before then.

* * *

No sooner had Merry’s head hit the pillow that he felt a small jolt upon his mattress. He opened his eyes to slits, finding a familiar silhouetted figure sitting on his bed.

“Mum?” he asked with much fatigue. “I didn’t know you and dad had arrived so soon.”

“So soon?” she whispered, turning up his bedside lantern to a dull glow. “We were actually ten minutes late--Cousin Ferumbras made sure we knew about it when he greeted us at the door, saying his tea was getting cold.  I am sorry to wake you, love, but I so wanted to see your face.”

Slightly baffled, Merry turned fully in his bed to sit up and receive a hug from his mother. “What is the time, mum? And where is dad?”

“It’s nigh unto four o’clock, dear,” she answered. “Your dad is trying his best to peel himself away from my ostentatious cousin.”

“You don’t like him, either, do you mum?”

“I shouldn’t have said that,” said Esmeralda, taking herself to task…a little. “At least not aloud.” Mother and son shared a quiet snicker.

“I don’t think he and Uncle Paladin get along at all,” said Merry, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

“I don’t doubt that,” Esmeralda replied thoughtfully. “Ferumbras has never approved of my father’s family, considering us lowly farmers far too simple, intellectually.”

“Why is he like that, mum?” Merry asked. “Everybody has to make a living somehow--whether it’s farming, gardening, raising ponies as dad does, or apprenticing to become a healer--such as Merimas or Donnabelle.”

“Most folks, or I should say, most Tooks share your view,” said his mother, “but there are still a few who were raised a certain fashion and expect everyone else to treat them in deference. You may not have met those peculiar Tooks on this holiday at Great Smials, but the more you visit Pippin here, the more you will see them come out of the woodwork.”

Young Merry mulled over his mother’s words for a moment, then heard his tummy grumbling. Esmeralda smiled, “Seems you’ve slept away the afternoon and now you’re hungry.” They both turned toward the knock on the door.

“Hullo, Merry!” Saradoc exclaimed as he entered his son’s bedroom, taking Merry into a great big hug. “Oh, I’ve missed you--” then he spied his wife’s arched eyebrows, “we’ve missed you so much!”

Merry smiled at hearing his father’s words. “It feels nice to be missed, but...”

Saradoc wasn’t so sure he liked the ending to his son’s remark. “But what?” he asked, sitting down on the other side of his son's bed.

Merry gave a great sigh before speaking his thoughts. “You remember Degger, right?” He waited for his parents to nod. Merry went into the story of how the lad was added to the study group along with Pervinca.

Listening to her son, Esmeralda gasped, covering her mouth. “Good for Paladin!” she laughed, “To take one of the servants and educate him! My cheeky brother--no wonder the Thain isn’t happy these days.”

“But,” Merry added, “Degger isn’t doing so well in the studies. He never had lessons like Pippin or me when he was small. I offered to help him, but this morning Uncle Paladin said that Miss Hemlock would do it.” Merry looked to his dad, “Did he tell you what I did this morning?” Saradoc nodded grimly. “It seems I’ve made a big mess of things. I don’t think Miss Hemlock will understand Degger as I do--or even Pippin. I think it should be one of us who helps him catch up.”

“Paladin forbids Pippin to aid your friend,” Saradoc pointed out to his son. “Though I believe he isn’t against anyone else doing so. These lessons are for Pippin’s benefit, just as your lessons at home are for yours.”

“There must be something we can do to help, Sara,” Esmeralda put in.

“Merry, exactly what is it that you want in this matter?” Saradoc asked his son.

“I don’t know, Dad,” Merry answered, sinking further into his thoughts. “If I wasn’t in the trouble I am in, I should think I might be of help to Degger. It’s an incredible feeling to see Degger’s face light up when he suddenly understands something I’ve taught him.”

Now Saradoc gazed deep into his lad’s blue eyes and sighed. Perhaps there was more to Merry’s claim than even the lad was aware of himself. “I was really looking forward to having you round the Hall again, lad.”

Merry looked curiously at his father. “What do you mean?”

“Well,” Saradoc explained, “I still have the matter of punishing you for your behaviour toward Miss Hemlock. If Paladin agrees, perhaps another fortnight of studies will help teach you some manners.” Saradoc gave his son a wink. “And then maybe you can help your friend with his studies.”

Merry brightened at the prospect of his dad’s suggestion; it was the same reasoning that he and Pippin devised a couple of days ago. However, this time he had an adult on his side. Then his face fell. “Uncle Paladin has been under a lot of strain lately. He probably won’t agree to it.”

Saradoc patted his son’s leg that still lay beneath the covers. “Leave that to me, my lad.”

Merry smiled, then slipped his hand under his pillows. “Here, Dad.”

“What’s this?” asked Saradoc, unfolding a leaf of crinkled paper.

“It’s the arithmetic problem Miss Hemlock had on her scraperboard before I…before I erased it. I wrote it down first.”

Sara shook his head with a chuckle, “What am I going to do with you, child?”  With that, he leaned over to kiss his son's bed-head curls.

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List