Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Graduation  by PIppinfan1988

A/N: Sorry for the late update; I realized that the tale needed more background.

Chapter Four - Help is on the Way

After leaving the study, Pervinca was on her way to her father’s office with a message from her mother. She carried in her hand a few white envelopes with a post mark on them. As she drew near to the open door, she could make out low voices just beyond the threshold.

“I have her report here in my hand, Paladin,” said the voice that Pervinca recognised as her cousin Ferumbras. “It’s right there in black ink. He can't do the work.” Pervinca readily perceived that Ferumbras was speaking of Degger’s studies.

“Degger just needs a bit more time, cousin,” the lass heard her father reply. Pervinca thought she could detect a bit of disappointment in her father’s voice. She slowed down, then stopped just shy of the entryway.

“I still don’t understand why we are using the family coffer to put this…this servant through schooling that only children of privilege are offered.”

I am paying for Degger’s studies,” Paladin replied, “his schooling is coming out of my own pocket.”

Ferumbras pursed his lips in frustration; he didn’t seem to be making any headway with this dirt farmer. His peripheral vision caught sight of movement outside of the doorway; he stepped closer to the hall. “Come inside, lass,” he said to Pervinca, “’Tis no good to stand out there eavesdropping.”

Paladin saw the worried expression on Pervinca’s face and instantly knew that she had heard just about everything, though he wasn’t going to let that snobby cousin of his get away with accusing his daughter of prying on purpose. “Perhaps she didn’t want to intrude,” Paladin stated firmly. He shot his elder cousin a look that warded off any further remarks about his daughter. Paladin wanted to add, We lowly crop farmers from the country do teach our children manners, however, he kept that to himself.

Pervinca held out the envelopes she carried. Feeling quite self-conscious under the hard gaze of the Thain, she spoke timidly, “Mother wanted me to give these to you…and to remind you that we would be at Aunt Pearl’s this afternoon.”

Paladin took the envelopes from Pervinca then answered, “Ah, yes--thank you, love. Please tell your mother that I said to enjoy her tea with the other ladies. And that includes yourself.” He smiled when Pervinca blushed; the teen loved to be addressed as a lady.

Ferumbras had about as much patience around children as his mother, so he took his leave. “I am urging you to think about what we have discussed, Paladin. I shall await your answer tomorrow.”

When Ferumbras had left, Pervinca went to her father and hugged him. “He means to take Degger out of the study group, doesn’t he Father?”

Paladin took in a long breath then let it out slowly to release the tension in his shoulders. “He’s trying his best,” Paladin answered her. “Ferumbras has ordered Miss Hemlock to resume advanced studies no later than three days hence, and I have to agree. If Degger does not pass his next exam, then he is to be taken out. On the other side of the coin, Sweet Pea, we can’t have Degger’s nerves frayed over failing his lessons, either.”

Pervinca looked up determinedly at her father. “He won’t fail, Papa.”

* * *

Degger became worried when he saw Pervinca come into the Smial’s kitchen. Had he forgotten something? He certainly would remember if he had been scheduled to help clear up during the ladies’ tea party…but no, he clearly recalled being scheduled to wash dishes this afternoon.

“Hullo, Miss Pervinca,” the kitchen mistress greeted the lass. “What can I do for ye?”

Pervinca shook her head, “Nothing, Mistress May, but thank you. I’m here to take Degger; my brother requires his presence.”

“I can’t do that, Miss,” said May with a sigh, “Not without permission from the Overseer. I’ve not another t’ take his place today--an’ with the ladies’ tea an’ all…”

Pervinca took note of the pile of dishes, silverware, and teacups. She grabbed one of the kitchen aprons hanging upon a peg. “I shall take his place then.”

“No, Miss--ye can’t do that!”

“Why not?” asked the lass, tying the sash round her waist, “Do you think I have never washed dishes before in my life?” Pervinca laughed, “I wasn’t born here, you know!” That remark was not lost on the kitchen mistress. “And must I remind you that I am the youngest lass in my family? Who do you think got designated to wash dishes all those years at Whitwell?”

“Oy…” was May’s reply. “Degger, go see t' Mr. Pippin and be quick about it!”

Walking over to Degger--who was completely dumbfounded, Pervinca kindly pushed the lad out of the way. “Go to Pippin’s room--he’s waiting for you there.”

* * *

“Hullo, Degger,” said Pippin, answering the knock at his door. The family’s personal attendant, Mistress Lilly accompanied the lad to Pippin’s room in Paladin’s family tunnel. “Thank you, Mistress Lilly,” Pippin said, and then asked, “Would you be so kind as to bring me and--I mean,only me a tray of biscuits and milk? Enough for two hobbits, though, if you please. I’m very hungry after giving my cousin a sound beating at chess.”

Pippin shut the door after the server left. “Actually, I only beat him once,” laughed Pippin, “but you won’t say anything to the other lads, will you, Degger?”

“No, sir.” Degger remained where he stood, not following Pippin further into his room.

“Degger!” Pippin finally turned round. “Come along--you’ve been here before--I don’t bite.”

Degger trailed the thirteen-year-old over to a desk that sat in the corner of the sitting area. Books were piled high, papers in disarray; the top of the desk appeared as if a wind storm had literally blown through Pippin’s room. Degger automatically reached for a grey jumper hanging over the back of a chair and began folding it.

“Put that down, Degger,” Pippin took the article of clothing out of his friend’s hand then tossed it into the dark void of his bedroom--wherever it landed is where it sat until he was forced to clean up his room. To keep her children in order, Eglantine insisted that they keep up their own rooms.

Pippin pulled the lad over to the set of chairs near his desk where they sat down. “I need a bit of help,” said Pippin, praying this would go over smoothly. “I do better with speaking aloud my history lessons as I work them out. Usually, Merry is here to help me, but he’s off doing something else for later this evening, or, at least, that is what he said. Will you sit here with me a while? I need for you to listen as I read out loud and tell me when I’ve gone off the deep end--or if something doesn’t make sense to you. If it doesn’t make sense to you, then chances are it isn’t making sense to me--but I don't know it.” Pippin almost made a face at that last statement. Degger wasn’t stupid--he’d see right through everything if Pippin messed this up.

Degger, indeed, was a bright lad. He sensed something was going on between his three study-mates. First, Mr. Merry volunteers to help him in the evenings after supper…now Mr. Pippin is asking for help with Shire history? Something definitely wasn’t right; Mr. Pippin excelled at history--he should need no help. And Miss Pervinca taking his duty in the kitchen so that he could be here with Mr. Pippin? Hmmm…but does a servant tell his betters ‘no’, when they mean to help him? Degger loved this family dearly--at whatever cost to himself, even if he should be caught by the Thain, Degger resolved to pass these studies--with honours--and with their help. He stifled a yawn as he answered Pippin. “I will sit here with ye.”

* * *

“So, how did the dish-scrubbing duty go?” Pippin asked his sister while on their way to the dining room for supper.

Pervinca held out her hands for inspection, still showing signs of having been shrivelled not too long ago. “Remind me to never volunteer like that again!”

Pippin laughed, “It was your idea!”

“That’s what makes this whole thing so incredible. I must have washed every single plate, cup, spoon, and saucer in the Smials--twice!”

“Are you going to do it again tomorrow?” Pippin asked her.

“I don’t know if doing this every day is wise, Pip,” said Pervinca more seriously. “Mother and father will become suspicious.”

“But you said yourself that Degger has to pass tomorrow’s exam--or else.”

“We’ll see, but I am not making any promises.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List