Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Graduation  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Two - Lending a Hand

Ten minutes later, Merry found himself in the tunnel of the servants’ quarters. He continued rapping upon the wooden door until its occupant answered it. He knew Degger was in his room, though failed to understand why his friend hadn’t opened the door to a guest yet.

After his morning lessons, Degger was still required to perform his duties in the kitchen from after lunch until tea, at which time he was released in order to complete his night assignments on time and study before bed. Ferumbras wasn’t happy about one of his servants taking studies with the future Thain, let alone seeming to dodge his duties, however, Paladin insisted on a light schedule for Degger. Ferumbras gave in--or gave up, knowing as well as any Took how stubborn they themselves could be.

Presently--and just as Merry was about to walk away from Degger’s door, it creaked open, revealing the slight figure of a young lad in his late teens…with flushed cheeks and red nose.

Merry puzzled at this. “What’s wrong, Degger?”

The lad sniffled, “I’m just not up t’ company right now, Mr. Merry.”

“Are you ill?” Merry asked him, concern in his voice. “Perhaps my uncle Paladin can help.”

“No!” Degger blurted out. “I mean--no, sir, I’m not ill.”

“I can tell something is wrong, Degger,” said Merry. “I’m not daft, you know.” A tense wall of silence lay between the two for a long minute before Merry turned to walk away. “Fine.”

“Wait--” Degger called out to his closest friend, continuing when the tweenager turned to face him. “I--I…please come inside, Mr. Merry.”

Merry took the invitation, entering into the simple quarters meant for working servants. Unlike most servants who shared a flat that included a bedchamber, a separate parlour and eating area, Degger had his own quarters. Inside, the first room that a guest met with was the parlour, which consisted of one couch, a tea table, and settle near the hearth. The adjacent eating area had a table, two chairs, and a small sideboard. In the bedroom of a servant’s room were two small beds, night tables, and two adequate wardrobes. Paladin had half of all that removed, then put in a larger wardrobe, a bureau, and desk for the lad. It all was plain in appearance, as the teenaged occupant had few possessions of his own. His wages mostly went toward his annual visits to the Bunce Estate in Michel Delving where his sister lived.

Degger offered Merry a seat at his eating table and then set to pouring them both a cup of hot tea. He took the other chair at the same table with his guest, staring at the rising vapours of the tea while gathering his thoughts. “I’m sorry, Mr. Merry,” Degger began telling of his troubles, “but…I can’t do this. I thought I could--I wanted t’--for Heather and Taddie, but…I can’t. I’m not clever enough for higher learnin’.”

“Why do you say that?” asked Merry, sipping his tea, though he already guessed Degger’s reasons--between his own musings and the sweat on the lad’s brow that morning.

“Ev’ry time Miss Hemlock gives me back my writin’, it’s marked over in red ink, my sums are all wrong…” The teen paused a moment to regain his composure. “…nothin’ I do is right.”

“That can’t be correct,” Merry replied kindly. “I’ve noticed your lilac bush is coming up beautifully in the garden.”

Degger got up from his chair, disappearing into his bedroom. A few seconds later, he reappeared with a report in his hand. Sure enough, Miss Hemlock had drawn red circles round all Degger’s misspelled words, where commas should have been, or capital letters. “And look at this,” Degger added, giving Merry yet another paper, but with sums on it this time. Merry perused the calculations, instantly seeing where the young lad had taken the wrong path to arrive at his answers.

Merry sighed at what his friend must be thinking of himself. He wished that Miss Hemlock had been more perceptive, tutoring individually a bit more with Degger. “The only thing I see is that you did not have the proper prerequisites prior to being placed in these studies, Degger. You’re not dumb, only in need of further instruction.”

Degger frowned, “What’s a pre…prere…?”

“Prerequisite--say it with me,” Merry told his friend, waiting with patience until Degger got it right. “It means that you should have had certain courses of study previously that would have helped you understand Miss Hemlock’s lessons a bit more.” He explained a bit further, “Pervinca and Pippin both were taught their letters, sums, and history by my uncle Paladin when they were little. I was taught the same by my dad, my uncle Mac, and uncle Marmadas--either one on any given year--along with my cousins. Its more a custom in Buckland to instruct a group of children than I believe in the Shire. I always thought it was a little more fun that way, but most Shire parents teach their own children straight through. Yet my dad nor any of my uncles stopped at simple words like, ‘salt, sugar, pepper, and flour’ nor with numbers 1 through 10. Servants just aren’t given that great of an education, whether I agree with that or no.”

“Now I understand why I can’t keep up with the rest of you during our lessons,” Degger stated. “And I don’t like it. Before long, everyone will pass me up and I’ll lose my chance forever.”

Merry gave a sad smile to the lad. “We had passed you up on the first day, Degger. You never had a chance from the beginning. We all had basic lessons years ago--you didn’t. These lessons we’re doing now are primarily something for Pippin to brush up on, to groom him for the title he shall bear when…well, when the time comes.”

“Is that what yer dad did for you?”

This time Merry genuinely smiled, “Yes, but I’ve been on a self-imposed break for a couple of years, though its about to come to an end soon. That’s why my dad and mum made me take the punishment my uncle dealt a few weeks ago; the price of these lessons are coming out of my uncle’s purse, and free for the Brandybucks.”

“That means he’s payin’ for my lessons, too,” said Degger, growing worried again. “I suppose he expects me t’ pass with honour.”

“Of course uncle Paladin expects you to pass,” Merry smiled again, “He wants you to do well in life, or else he wouldn’t have bothered with placing you in the study group.” Merry worried when he saw the anxiety returning to the lad’s face. “However,” he continued, “there’s no reason why you can’t have a little help. You haven’t lost your chance forever; we’re both going to pass with honours, Degger.”

* * * * *

Having watered and tended to their little plants--and Degger’s, Pippin, and Pervinca met with Merry at the stables to go riding on the bridleway that skirted the area of Great Smials.

“This is my favourite part of the day,” said Pippin, closing his eyes to breathe in the scent of spring. He felt the warmth of the sun upon his face as the soft breeze rushed past his cheeks.

“Why is this your favourite part of the day?” asked Merry, “Because you’re not having lessons?”

“Good gracious me, Merry!” Pippin grinned. “You guessed it!”

“It isn’t for forever, you know,” Pervinca put in. “Its only to brush up your toes in a few areas--such as knowing the land of the Shire,” she said, “and how to till a garden!”

“My toes are brushed and I know how to plough an entire field, for heavens sake!” Pippin remarked then grew serious. “I am weary of the same lessons day in and day out. Why haven’t we gone on to other things?”

Merry reflected on his cousin’s remark, bringing to mind what he himself had guessed earlier about the lessons not seemingly balanced. Pippin had brought the point to light as to why they hadn’t gone on to further studies. For the past few weeks, they had kept to a syllabus that Mr. Breddo had developed during his tenure. Merry thought back until his mind could pinpoint the day it occurred. It was five days ago--a week after the ‘worm incident’--when Miss Hemlock more or less stalled the lessons. But why?

The only reason that came to Merry was Degger. Miss Hemlock has to know that Degger is struggling; why has she not done anything to help him? Merry resolved to ask this of the tutor tomorrow after morning lessons. In the meantime, Merry had a mind to pay another visit to his friend.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List