Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Making of a Man  by TigerLily713

Okay dokey.  Here’s another!  Thanks to all of my reviewers-- I usually e-mail a reply every time I receive a review, but I’ve been so busy writing papers for school, I’ve lost track of who’ve I’ve replied to.  I’m sorry!  Thanks to DaisyPrincess as well for her awesome beta work!

Chapter Eleven- Blazing Black Gates

The farewell had been a short and sweet affair; with Imliné kissing each of her children in turn while Hyelir followed with a hug and a warning to behave well.  The two had then turned to their guests with slight apprehension in their eyes and given them one last chance to back out; finally admonishing them to return quickly if their children became too much of a burden. 

Legolas had assured them that the children would behave wonderfully, he was sure, and that he would have them back safely within a week’s time.  Gimli had thrown in his two cents, assuring Imliné that he was capable of disciplining a child without violence, instead using mere survival techniques to subdue the offender.

Imliné and Hyelir had glanced at each other nervously at this statement, but had turned an appreciative smile back at the dwarf, telling him that they were sure no such disciplining would be necessary, as her children would all behave like lambs, wouldn’t they?  They had all looked slightly nervous as well, and had nodded their heads readily.

And then they were off.  Hyelif had kept the company entertained for the first half of the day by reciting every known animal that had ever been trapped in the area, listing trapping techniques, methods of killing, skinning, curing and cooking the animal, ways of transporting animals back home with or without a steed, a wagon, a companion, a knife, etc. 

While the information was indeed interesting, many in the group began wondering whether the young man perhaps spent too much time in the pursuit of animals, and too little time around actual people.

“Do you ever climb trees, young sir?” Legolas had asked, keeping his visage calm when he heard a disapproving rumble coming from the dwarf behind him.

Hyelif shrugged stiffly.  “Sure.  When I set a trap in a tree I sometimes have to climb it.  Usually though I can just throw the rope over the branch and rig it to a bush on the ground.  Depends on what you’re trapping really; if you’re marking deer…”

Legolas furrowed his brows as the boy continued his ever incessant talk of hunting animals.  This was going to be more difficult than he had thought.  “I see,” he interrupted.  “Do you ever climb a tree just for the experience?”

Hyelif said nothing, merely arching one brow and looking slightly incredulous.

“You know-- climbing a tree just for sport, or to sit and enjoy its presence.”  Legolas was half-turned in his saddle, allowing his steed to lead him down the path.

Hyelif snorted.  “No!  Trees are boring.  Animals though, they…”  Hyelif didn’t get a chance to finish before Legolas leapt fluidly from his moving horse into a tree just above his head. 

The riders all stopped, including a rather nervous looking Gimli, who immediately lunged forward and grasped onto the horses long mane.  “What in the Blazing Black Gates are you doing, elf?”

“It is unacceptable to me that this child find trees to be boring!  We will stop here for luncheon, and he will not get any until he has spent some time in this tree, and learned to enjoy it!”

Hyelif looked horrified, though the strangers were unsure whether it was in response to the threat of having to spend time in a tree or the threat of missing lunch.  Either way, he promptly crossed his arms in front of his chest and shook his head obstinately. 

“Why me?  Why don’t you ask my sisters how often THEY spend time in those stupid trees?”

Legolas shot him a withering look while quickly turning to the girls.  Imlara shook her head nervously.  “I love trees…really I do.” 

Imlyana rolled her eyes.  “Actually, we are not allowed in the trees.  We are expected to behave like civilized persons; besides, our skirts make it rather difficult.”

“Didn’t seem to stop you yesterday…” Olihre mumbled, not making eye contact with anyone.

“Yes, well, if I happen upon another helpless man, I shall make another exception, until then, I will stay out of trees just to spite you all.”

Legolas laughed and turned to Imlara.  “What say you, dear?  I can have you sitting comfortably atop a branch with not so much as a wrinkle in your dress.”  Legolas extended a hand to her from atop his branch, which she stared at reluctantly for a moment before reaching up and taking it, all the while squeezing her eyes tightly shut. 

Legolas gently but swiftly lifted her from her horse, swinging his shoulder around to gracefully bring her into his arms.  When her feet touched the branch, she immediately stiffened, and spread her arms out in front of her.  Legolas put a steadying arm around her waste and allowed her to take hold of a nearby tree branch. 

“All is well-- you can open your eyes now.”  Imlara opened her eyes slowly and smiled, turning her head to Legolas to offer her thanks.  Upon realizing his close proximity however, she quickly blanched and grasped a nearby tree branch, pulling herself into a sitting position upon it.

Imlyana watched the two with an expression of both jealousy and anticipation.  Moving her horse into position under the elf, she nonchalantly raised her hand.  “I’m ready,” she announced, not bothering to look up and ascertain whether or not Legolas was coming.  Her answer came anyway as she felt a cool hand grasp hers, applying a smooth pressure as she was effortlessly lifted out of her saddle and into the tree.  When her feet touched the limb she hesitated, not in any hurry to be released by her helper. 

Legolas chuckled and cast an indiscrete glance towards Olihre who seemed to have forgotten how to close his slightly agape mouth.  When he turned back to the fiendish girl, he found her to be looking questioningly at his human companion as well.  Her eyes quickly returned to him however as she offered her thanks and scrambled rather indelicately to a branch beside her sister. 

“Your turn lad,” Legolas offered with his hand extended towards the boy, who had moved his horse farther away from the tree. 

“I can climb it myself,” Hyelif insisted with as much indignance as an eleven year old boy can muster.  He dismounted his horse fluidly, apparently deciding against leaping from the horse into the tree as Legolas had done.  

Gimli chuckled heartily as the boy circled the tree looking for a low enough branch or handhold.  He quickly returned to his starting point, hands on his hips, a frustrated pout marring his dark skin. 

“Let me help, Lad.”  Gimli slid roughly from his horse and trundled up to the tall tree.  Getting down on one knee he motioned for the boy to put his boot into his interlaced fingers.  The boy looked skeptical, but seemingly decided that this was better than allowing the elf to swing him up like a girl.

With only a few grunts and groans, Hyelif was up in the tree, sitting as far from his sisters and Legolas as he could manage.  “Wow,” he said dryly after a few silent moments.  “This is really exciting.”

The boy’s sarcasm was hard to miss, but it did not seem to faze Legolas one bit.  He continued climbing in the tree, going higher and higher until he was no longer visible to any in the group. 

Olihre meanwhile had dismounted and begun unloading their food provisions onto a nearby log, only glancing into the tree every now and then to gauge his companions’ ascent.  When everything was unloaded, he took hold of a branch and swung himself into the tree. 

“Legolas!” he called up the tree, “The food is ready, but I’m not bringing it to you all the way up there!” 

When no reply was heard, Olihre climbed a few branches higher and cleared his throat.  “I’m going to let all of your prisoners go if you don’t come down right now.”

The slight rustling of leaves could be heard as Legolas dropped lightly behind Olihre and tapped him on the shoulder.

“You wouldn’t dare,” he said calmly, eyeing his prisoners with suspicion.  “They have not yet attempted to make friends with this tree, and they will not leave it until they do.  Luncheon will be served here.”

Olihre turned on his branch and looked skeptically at the elf.  “And how do you propose we get Gimli up here?”

“You don’t!” Gimli shouted from below.  “I’ll stay down here and eat with the horses-- the only sensible beings within a league!”

Legolas smiled demurely and swung to the ground, making his way to the log laden with vittles.  He unceremoniously stuffed most of the food back into the pack that Olihre had just procured it from and then threw it onto his back.  Before leaping back into the tree, he tossed Gimli a sugar cube.  “Since you’ll be eating with the horses…”

Gimli grumbled at this and made his way over to the log where some meat, fruit and cheese had been left for him.  “Bunch of crazy…”

*          *          *

A half an hour later found all but Gimli settled into the tree with most of their luncheon eaten.  Pleasant conversation had been tossed around, as had frequent jokes and jibes.  Olihre had settled next to Hyelif, who had not once ceased in looking longingly at the dwarf and his solid footing. 

“Are you afraid of heights?” Olihre asked him curiously.

The boy stiffened and shook his head.  “No!  I just don’t like trees.  They’re too big and...and …wiggly.”

Olihre very nearly giggled at this, looking around to the others to see if they had heard the incredulous defense.  Imlara was looking at Olihre with the usual scorn in her dark eyes, while Imlyana was shaking her head with seeming pity.

“He took a bad fall out of a tree when he was younger; hasn’t been in one since.”

Hyelif whipped his head around to glare at his sister.  “Quiet Lyana!”  The young boys’ eyebrows furrowed and his lip began to tremble slightly.  One arm was wrapped around the thick trunk of the tree while the other was held rigidly about his middle, his fist balled tightly.

“I’m sorry love,” Imlyana hurried over to her brother and sat beside him, wrapping her arms around his wounded frame.  “I shouldn’t have said anything, I’m sorry.”  These last words were whispered into his ear, but all in the group heard them, and averted their eyes when Hyelif buried his face in his sister’s blouse. 

Imlyana look up after a moment and said quietly, “We all have things that we are afraid of; Hyelif is brave and strong.”

Olihre stared at the resigned figure burrowed into Imlyana’s side.  He shifted his position on the branch so that he could lean over and take the boy’s hand.  Hyelif looked up at him guardedly, but did not release his hold of his sister.  Olihre smiled weakly and muttered, “I was terrified of horses when I was younger; I wouldn’t even go near one.  I was never thrown from one or anything-- I was just afraid.”

Hyelif nodded his head slightly and tightened his grip on Olihre’s hand.  From below they heard a throat being cleared loudly.  “Er…ah…I think I’ve got you both beat.”  Gimli looked up at them sheepishly as he continued.  “I always have been, and reckon I always will be afraid of horses AND trees.”   

All in the group chuckled, except Hyelif, who only smiled accommodatingly.  Legolas leaned in front of Imlyana and placed a hand on Hyelif’s shoulder.  “I’m sorry I made you come up here.  There is nothing wrong with not liking trees.”  The latter came out sounding rather strangled, and even Hyelif looked at Legolas with disbelief.  Legolas only smiled apologetically and offered his hand to Hyelif.  “Come, let’s get the horses fed and be on our way.”

Hyelif accepted his hand and was lowered to the ground quickly with Legolas jumping down beside him.  The two set about to feeding the horses while Olihre and the two girls sat in pondering silence in the tree.

Finally Olihre spoke.  “I think it says a lot that your brother turned to you for comfort.” Olihre paused awkwardly.  “It makes me miss my little sister…though I suppose she’s really not so little anymore.” 

Imlyana smiled and turned to her little sister.  “Lara still thinks he’s nothing but a pest, but I think it must be difficult growing up with only sisters, especially when my father was away for so long.”

Olihre nodded but didn’t have a chance to respond before Imlyana continued.  “That was very good of you…telling him about your fear of horses.  I could tell he was comforted by it.”

Olihre blushed and shook his head.  “It was all true; I’m just glad that Gimli came to my rescue so I didn’t look so foolish.”

“I heard that, lad!” 

Olihre laughed and grinned at the two girls.  “He’s really just a big softie, though he’d hate for you to know it.”

“I heard that too!”

Gimli continued muttering below as Imlyana suddenly stood upon her perch and reached up, grabbing hold of a slim branch and hoisting herself up by it.  She continued making her way up the tree, leaving Imlara and Olihre agreeing upon something at last.

“Your sister is a bit compulsive, isn’t she?”

Imlara nodded and called up to her sister, “Lyana, you’re wearing a skirt!”

“So?” The reply came in the form of a muffled grunt from above.

“So, you just got done saying how inappropriate it is to climb in a skirt; if we looked up right now we could see your underpants!”

“I said it was difficult, not inappropriate-- and nobody should be looking up, right?”

Imlara just rolled her eyes while Olihre continued staring devoutly at the tree trunk in front of him.   

“Right,” he muttered under his breath, looking at Imlara briefly before moving to jump down from the tree.  He was halted though by a cry of alarm from high above him.

“Are you all right?” he called in obvious concern.

Silence reigned for a few moments before a subdued voice called back down hesitantly, “Lara, can you come up here please?”

“I don’t think so!” Imlara returned, grasping her branch tighter.

“LARA, I NEED YOU!”

Olihre peered upwards, trying to spot the young woman.  “Are you hurt?” he called.

“No…but my dress is.  I stepped on it while I was pulling myself up.  It’s ripped.”

“Well what good am I going to do up there?” Imlara asked, looking to Olihre for help.

“I ripped it in the back, right along the mid-hem, but I can’t see it clearly.  I need you to come up and tell me how bad it is.”

“And then what?” Imlara asked in frustration.  “Give you my own dress?”

“I don’t know!  This has never happened to me before!”

Olihre tried not to chuckle but was finding it difficult.  Turning to Imlara he said, “I believe this is one of those times where you can successfully tell your sister that you told her so.”

“Ha…ha…” came the reply from above.  “If you’re so smart, why don’t you figure something out?”

“As a matter of fact, I already have.”  Olihre looked down towards Legolas, who was watching them with humor in his eyes.  “Legolas, why don’t you grab my cloak from my saddle pack and do what you elves love so much-- climb up the tree.”

Legolas nodded and went to take Olihre’s brown cloak out of his pack.  He then walked casually towards the tree, stopping a few feet from its base and tossing the cloak at Olihre.  “I’m busy, you give it to her.”  Without waiting for a reply, he turned around and went back to helping Hyelif groom the horses.

Olihre growled and looked up nervously.  Imlara turned a devilish smile towards him that he hadn’t thought her capable of.  “Don’t tell me you’re afraid of trees too?”  When Olihre only scowled at her, she continued.  “Or is it the scary monsters up in the trees that worry you?”

“Hello?  Is anyone coming or am I to spend the night up here too?”

Olihre rolled his eyes and peered upward again with obvious trepidation.  “Fine, I’m coming.  Just…I don’t know…TRY to be a lady for a few moments.”

A husky laugh was heard from above as Olihre began his ascent.  He clutched the cloak in his hands as he climbed, taking care not to drop or step on it.  The higher he climbed, the more heat he could feel burning in his cheeks, and the more tense his muscles became.  “How in the world did you get all the way up here anyway?” he muttered loudly to nobody in particular.

“I climbed,” the familiar sarcastic voice answered from above.

“All right then, maybe I should ask WHY?” he said more loudly.

“I wanted to know whether I could still see our settlement over the mountains.”

“Oh.”  Olihre paused for a moment.  He was very nearly to the top of the tree, and he had decided that the conversation was helping him relax.  “Do you miss it already?”

“Miss home?” Imlyana repeated as Olihre came into view below her.  “I’ve been aching to get away and see something different, and meet people different, but yes, I do miss it.”

Olihre looked up and saw that Imlyana was perched upon a thin branch with her ankles crossed and her back turned away from him.  “Well, you’ve certainly met people different,” he remarked as he hoisted himself up the last branch to stand before her.

“I have,” she said quietly, and Olihre was amazed to see the slightest hint of a blush upon her cheeks.

“Right,” Olihre cleared his throat nervously.  “Umm…did you need me to…or…well…HERE,” he shoved the cloak in her direction, which she took with an embarrassed smile.  Olihre turned around while she put the cloak on, which was wholly unnecessary but made both of them feel less intrusive.

“I’m ready,” Imlyana announced for the second time that day.  Olihre turned, half-expecting her to have her hand out in anticipation of being lowered down, but she was already turned and climbing.

“Wait!” Olihre said suddenly, “The cloak is too long, you’ll trip on it.”  He climbed down to where she had halted and hesitated, not sure what exactly he could do to alter the burdensome cloak.  “Where exactly is your dress torn?”

Imlyana let a small frown form on her lips for a moment before letting her hand wander back and indicate a general area on her back.  “The entire empire waistline in the back has come undone.”

“But it doesn’t proceed to your skirts?” Olihre had a faint idea, but he wasn’t very confident in his tailoring abilities.

“No.”

“All right,” Olihre made a tentative gesture towards Imlyana with his hands, but then hesitated.  “Is it alright if I try something?”

“Yes.” The answer came out meeker than Imlyana had planned, but it was affirmative nonetheless.

Olihre indicated for her to turn at an angle so that her back was to him.  Somehow it was easier for him to roll the cloak up the length of her body without her watching him.  When the clock reached her hips, he told her to turn back towards him.  She did and he momentarily released one end of his roll until she was back into position, then he reached behind her and took it again.

Imlyana held her breath as Olihre pinned her against the tree with his chest while he reached behind to find the errant end of the rolled cloak.  When he righted again she saw his blush and looked away quickly, wondering why such a simple operation was becoming more difficult by the moment.  In a compulsive effort to lighten the mood, she joked, “At least one of us isn’t HANGING from the tree.”

As soon as she said the words she gasped softly, sure she had offended his seemingly fragile ego yet again.  She waited silently while he kept his head bowed.  When his dark green eyes finally rose to meet hers, she saw a flicker of annoyance, but more alarmingly, she saw an intensely challenging gaze, emphasized by a disconcerting grin.

“You had to bring that up didn’t you?”  Olihre took a step closer to Imlyana and put his hands on either side of the trunk behind her.  In a deceptively calm voice he continued.  “Here I am, trying to secure your safe passage down the tree, perfectly willing to cooperate, and you had to bring THAT up?” 

Imlyana felt slightly unsettled.  His countenance was calm and friendly, but the edge to his voice spoke of painful lessons to be taught.  “I…I…was just trying to…I was joking!  Really, I was only joking.”

Olihre felt his heart pounding.  He was unsure why he was reacting the way he was, but something inside of him felt the need to gain the upper hand against this girl for ONCE in his association with her.  Trying to calm himself down, he took a deep breath, looking up into her eyes again.  That is when he saw it.  The usual cocky challenge that was so obviously apparent in her eyes had been replaced with…no, it couldn’t be, Olihre thought to himself.  She’s afraid?         

Taking a quick step back, Olihre lost his balance.  Reaching out to the branch she was leaning on, he grasped desperately, instead catching her arm and pulling her forward.  She squealed loudly and yanked her arm away, pulling Olihre with it.  As he slammed into her body she tensed, but for some reason, threw an arm around his back and held him there so that he wouldn’t rebound right out of the tree.

“What are you trying to do, kill me?” She breathed in alarmingly, while releasing her hold on him. 

Olihre groaned and back away from her.  He was too ashamed to look her in the eye, and instead stared fixedly at his feet.  “I didn’t mean to, I promise, it’s just that I saw…you were afraid…it shocked me.  I didn’t mean to grab you, I promise!”

Imlyana took a breath and set her shoulders, straightening her back.  “Well,” she began timidly, “I’m glad I’m not the only one who can’t control herself while in a tree.”

Olihre looked up slowly, afraid to see the expression on her face.  When he saw her smiling, he broke into a grin as well.  “Yes, I think perhaps it may be time to exit the tree-- the TRADITIONAL way.”

Imlyana snorted at this.  “Well that depends on whose traditions you are citing, doesn’t it?”  As they began climbing down, Imlyana chattered away like her usual self, giving great relief and a familiar tinge of annoyance to Olihre’s heart. 

“I mean, if you were a squirrel, then the traditional way down the tree would be head first at a full run.  If you were a bird, you’d leap out of the tree and catch the wind.  If you were an elf, you’d jump from tree to tree until you got to your destination.”

Olihre rolled his eyes but couldn’t help but grin as she continued her pointless jabber.  Looking down at her from up above, he chuckled at her odd appearance.  Climbing a tree in a billowing skirt with a cloak rolled up and tied about her waist. 

When they at last came out of the tree, the entire company was looking at them with odd expressions.  Imlyana smiled and untied the cloak, letting it fall in enormous folds about her shorter frame.  Wrapping it about herself, she turned to Legolas.  “That was a great idea-- let’s climb trees more often.”

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List