Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Making of a Man  by TigerLily713

Arrgghh Matey’s!  This be the next chapter in my foolish little tale; and I’ll thank thee fer readin’ it!  Sorry, Pirates on the mind!  Thanks for the reviews, I love you guys!  Thanks to my Uber-Beta-Goddess, DaisyPrincess, and to Iluvien for giving me some wonderful ideas to use in my next chapter.  Check out both of their stories, they are amazing!

Chapter Seven- On The Road Again

“May we in Edoras prove to be such exceptional hosts if ever you honor us with a visit.”  Eomer was standing beside his steed, arrayed in his traveling clothes, with a saddle bag thrown over his broad shoulders.

“Arwen and I would love to join you at Meduseld, just as soon as our obligations allow it.”  Aragorn leaned forward, lowering his voice.  “And between you and I, it cannot be too soon.  Excitement seems to follow you, Eomer; even as King you remain unchained.”

Eomer grinned guiltily, “I suspect I may soon be a chained man as well.”  Pausing a moment, he continued in a contemplative voice.  “I never would have thought that you and I, warriors and outcasts, would someday be no more than a woman’s plaything.”

Aragorn chuckled.  “Those were not precisely the chains I was referring to...”

“I should hope not!” a female voice interrupted from behind. 

“Eowyn!” The King of Rohan cried, folding his sister into his arms.  “I was sadly sure that you and Faramir would not return before our departure.”

“A messenger came to Ithilien-- sent by His Majesty, no doubt.” Eowyn smiled at Aragorn before turning back and jabbing her brother in the shoulder with her knuckles.  “But why leave in such haste?”

“Many reasons--” Eomer turned his head towards the palace entry where Legolas, Gimli, and Olihre were gathered, “those three think they need to have an adventure, Gav and Xanthe are eager to return to Edoras, and I myself have a few matters to attend to at home.”

Eowyn winked conspiratorially at her brother.  “Have you?  Would a certain Princess have anything to do with those matters?”

“She may, but that is for her to know…and for you to pry out of her by force.  Am I wrong?”

Eowyn rolled her eyes, but did not refute the statement. 

Aragorn chuckled.  “I’ll leave you siblings to your goodbyes.  Safe journey home Eomer, and my blessing on your ‘matters.’”

With that Aragorn made his way swiftly towards the palace entry, where Faramir had just joined Legolas, Gimli and Olihre.  “My Lord Faramir,” he began in a regal tone, “I have a proposition for you-- have you a moment?” 

The others looked at each other briefly before folding up their maps and preparing to leave the two alone. 

“One moment,” Aragorn raised his arms as if a mother hen gathering her brood, “this concerns you three also.”  With curious looks, the three crowded in until they were within whispering distance of the Gondorian rulers.  Aragorn addressed his Steward.  “I’ve heard from several sources that these three are looking for an adventure, know you anything of this?”

“Actually,” Legolas interjected, raising an arm to the back of his head and scratching idly, “that assertion is not entirely true.  Gimli and I have already had several adventures whilst upon our travels; we are merely showing Olihre a bit of the world.  Of course, if adventure happens upon us…what can we do but greet it?”

Aragorn appeared humored as he turned to Faramir.  “Was it not recently that you voiced your need of scouts to me?”

Faramir nodded but didn’t get to answer before Legolas again interrupted, “Scouts?  In Ithilien?  Both my people and yours have erstwhile settled that area; I hardly see any need for...”

“Indeed,” Faramir broke through with a pronounced hesitation, “however, we are interested in surveying our options and resources in the lands WEST of Ithilien.”

“In Lebennin to be exact,” Aragorn explained.  “Prince Imrahil reports that some of his troops have found reliable stores of ore in the hills between the rivers Serni and Gilraen.  If you are agreeable, I would ask the three of you to travel in that region and document the locations and consistencies of these stores.”

Legolas wrinkled his nose slightly at the though of documenting ores, but simultaneously turned his gaze to his friend, whom he knew would be delighted with such a task.  “I myself have been pondering the advantage of surveying the land between our fledgling colonies and the lands of Dol Amroth; perhaps this is as good a time as any.”

Olihre, unsure of any of the advantages or disadvantages of the place, remained silent, merely nodding his head in support of everything Legolas said.  Gimli took the moment of silence to insert his piece.  “I think it is a very prudent suggestion, and I, as a representative of the Dwarf Realms, would be honored to lend my extensive knowledge of mining, though I must say, my memories of those lands are black.”

Olihre raised his brows in question but was halted by the King’s hand on his shoulder.  “Indeed Master Gimli, our last journey in Lebennin was grim, but also was it celebrated.  I believe that with the Shadow Host departed, you will find the lands and their inhabitants to be much more accommodating.”

Gimli smiled solemnly and sighed.  “What was that verse that Legolas calmed us with so often on those dark days?”

Legolas smiled wistfully and began softly chanting a sapid tune.

Silver flow the streams from Celos to Erui

In the green fields of Lebennin!

Tall grows the grass there.  In the wind from the Sea

The white lilies sway,

And the golden bells are shaken of mallos and alfirin

In the green fields of Lebennin,

In the wind from the Sea!

(Tolkien, III, 156)

“Ai Lad, that’s the one.  I’d like to see the land as you’ve described it; I say we go!”  Gimli turned to Olihre and nudged him none-too-softly with his elbow.  “Don’t worry, Hoodwink, you’ll get your share of adventure.  It can’t be helped when you travel with the elf.”

Olihre rolled his eyes at the nickname Gimli had been calling him ever since his interesting display of marksmanship at the target competition earlier that week.  “I’m sure I will,” he replied, taking a step away from the sharp jointed dwarf and turning to Aragorn.  “I am aware that I have been nothing but a burden since my arrival here, and I hope that I may in some way serve Your Majesty.”

Legolas’s brows shot up at this, and he smiled in approval.  Aragorn only chuckled, “As I was telling Eomer earlier, it has long been stagnant here.  Having a bit of drama was a welcome aversion, though I would not wish that strife upon anyone, and am regretful that it was your lovely sister who had to bear it.”

Olihre nodded his head guiltily.  “She seems to have forgiven me, though I think it a good thing that I will be away for some months.  Perhaps when I return, she and Gaviwyr will be too busy with wedding preparations to remember any of my foul deeds.”

“Let us hope,” Aragorn agreed.  “And let us hope that they and Eomer make it back to Edoras without dismembering each other.”

Legolas groaned.  “I think they’ve had their share of discord, and I am confident that all will work out well for both couples.  But come, let us depart, there is ore to be documented!”

Aragorn looked quizzically at the slightly manic elf, but nodded his head in agreement.  “I believe the Edoras party is about to leave; may we see you off at the same time?”

Aragorn’s only answer was a quick dissipation of the group as they separated to their respective horses.  After a fond farewell, and a promise by both departing parties to return safely again, they were off.       

*          *          *

Hours later, the sun was well past its prime, fading away softly into the west.  The grasslands between the White Mountains and the River Erui were covered in snow, but hospitable enough to the diligent horses.  A steady pace had been set by the scouting party, who had decided to ride on through luncheon and stop only for a late dinner before retiring.

“So tell me, Olihre, it seems as though all those around you are falling into love’s snare; what of your own endeavors?”  Gimli was riding behind Legolas, his body twisted to address the human riding a short ways behind them.

Legolas chuckled superciliously and reigned in his horse to allow Olihre to come parallel to him.  “If I am not mistaken, you had your sights set on a certain Princess, did you not?”

Olihre rolled his eyes but simultaneously nodded in affirmation.  “Only my sights, nothing more.  She was beautiful to looks at, but I was not foolish enough to think that she could be anything more to me.”

“Why not, Lad?” Gimli was looking at him as if he were just a small child in need of guidance.

“Because she is a Princess…because she is fair and kind…and because it was quite obvious that Eomer was enamored with her as well.”  Olihre said the last bit with a tinge of jealousy in his voice.

“You give up easily my friend.” Legolas was smiling, but his eyes were nothing but serious.  “Eomer’s intentions are reason to take care, but none of your previous arguments seem valid to me.  If your sister was worthy of Eomer’s love, why then would you not be worthy of a fair Princess’s?”

Olihre laughed.  “Easy for you to say, Elf-prince, and you, Dwarf-lord, you’ve the necessary title as well.  My sister was worthy of Eomer’s love, and he hers, but would his advisor’s have agreed?  Or his sister?”

“Then you do not doubt your worth?” Legolas had completely stilled his horse.

Olihre laughed again, but this time it was a resigned sound.  “I am not my sister.  She is long-suffering and brave, I am headstrong and thoughtless.”

Legolas urged his horse back into an easy trot, calling behind him, “I think you judge yourself too harshly.  If you used the same rule for yourself as you do others, I think you would find yourself deserving of any royalty.”

Olihre blushed and ducked his head.  “Either way, Lothiriel is Eomer’s, and I am left with my horse….not that I am complaining, boy.” he stroked his horse’s mane fondly. 

Gimli could be heard grumbling while Legolas only laughed.  “We’ll be stopping for the night a ways up here.  This stream will lead us to the Erui, and from there we’ll make our way west and cross the two branches of the Sirith.  There we will begin our scouting.”

“Are there any settlements the way we are going?”  Olihre wasn’t at all familiar with the land they were traveling.

“More now than the last time I journeyed here.  Now that the Shadow Hosts have departed and the True King has returned, people feel comfortable inhabiting the area; they know that they will be protected.”

“I know the importance of such protection.”  Olihre furrowed his brows and stared fixedly at his horse’s mane.  “We were in Osgiliath at the inception of the fighting.  It wasn’t until the Black Riders began appearing that my Mother finally relented and sought refuge in Minas Tirith.”

“Like so many…” Gimli muttered solemnly. 

Olihre nodded.  “We were afraid that my father would come back and find us missing.”

Legolas asked the question that they all knew was coming.  “What happened to your father?”

“He died in a barren wasteland between the Mountains of Shadow and The Harad Road.  He was a potter by trade, but when his captain discovered that he was also a good scout, his fate was sealed.  I guess I never really expected him to come home, but I hoped…”

“I’m sorry lad.”  Gimli was hunched over on his steed, his body rocking to and fro with each step the horse took.  Legolas rode more easily, his back straight, but his head hung reverently.

Olihre was glad to be able to speak of his father, but he also regretted the somber atmosphere that he had brought upon his comrades.  In an effort to lighten the air, he snorted, “And now I’m a scout, though you’ll probably curse my name by the end of this mission.  I’m afraid I’ve never been taught anything about scouting.”

Legolas nodded with a sardonic smile.  “Though minerals tend to be far less daunting to scout than Orcs and Dark Men.”

*          *          *

The sky was nearly black by the time the troupe stopped for the night.  A light meal of dried venison and fruit was consumed in silence as a warm fire crackled contentedly nearby.  Olihre rolled out his bed roll and lowered himself with a groan, his hand pressed against the small of his back.

“Sore?” Gimli queried as he unrolled his own bed.

“Only a bit, you?”  Olihre was flat on his back now, one leg crossed over his bent knee.  Gimli merely grunted, leaving Olihre unsure whether it was in the affirmative or not.  Smiling wryly, he glanced towards Legolas, who was stowing his bow and arrows in an overhanging tree branch.  “You?” he queried with a slight inclination of his head.

“Elves do not become sore so easily, though I am glad to be on my feet after such a long ride.”  Legolas pulled his own bedroll out of his pack and laid it beside Gimli’s, noting that the dwarf was already blinking heavily in an effort to keep his eyes open.  “Let us rest now-- we’ve another long ride ahead of us tomorrow.”

“Why the rush?” Olihre asked through a semi-stifled yawn.  “It’s not like we have any specific time limit, do we?”

Legolas, who was lying on his side, shrugged his shoulders.  “The King did not give us any limitations, no, but I would like to complete the survey as soon as possible so that we might travel more freely, without any specific destination.”

“That makes sense,” Olihre said as if he hadn’t even thought of it before.  “I guess I’ve had so few adventures, that even this survey seems like one to me.”

Legolas chuckled.  “Worry not, friend, you will see your share of adventure on this assignment.  I believe Gimli has planned a hunting trip for us tomorrow, and trust me when I tell you that hunting with Gimli can be quite the adventure.”

Olihre groaned.  “Please don’t tell me that he is going to be throwing his ax at some helpless woodland creature…and from the back of your horse no less.”       

“I heard that,” Gimli muttered from underneath his arm, which was folded across his face.

Olihre grinned at Legolas.  “Goodnight.”

A/N:  Hunting trip?  Oh dear, this could mean trouble.  Or it could mean…oh, wait, I can’t tell you!  Stay tuned…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List