Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Your Heart Will Be True  by Write Sisters

Chapter 35

Reunion

June 5

Near Rohan's Southeastern Border

The chamber was silent for a long time. No one could speak and only the halting breaths of its occupants broke the almost nauseating quiet.

At last Legolas heard Aragorn let out a relieved breath and he turned his eyes on his friend. The king was leaning heavily against the wall, but his expression was steady.

No words were needed between them and Legolas wasn't entirely sure they could have managed words in the wake of Vardnauth's death. The evil creature — for there was little enough elf left in him — lay unmoving at Legolas’ feet, and it was impossible to comprehend how he had finally fallen. The echoes of Vardnauth's death throes still sounded unpleasantly in Legolas' ears and he shook his head slightly to clear it…he almost immediately wished he hadn't; the assault on his mind had left his head throbbing.

The prince looked around the room, at last taking in the state of all the beings around him. He knew they were all worse for wear and not a one looked ready to fight the enemy which lay just outside.

Elladan was leaning against the wall, blood flowing from both his wounds, his eyes now locked with Aragorn's in another silent exchange. It seemed both were checking the other for injuries, and neither were happy with their findings.

Elrohir was crouched on the floor, probably the one in the best condition. Except for some wounds that seemed to be from a previous encounter, the elf was perfectly fine on the outside. Still, his face was creased in a pained frown as he continued to maintain his fragile connection with the human lying on the floor.

Eression's eyes were shut and he was as pale as death, but the occasional, almost inaudible moans confirmed that he was still alive, if only barely.

"We must leave this place," Aragorn's voice broke the silence, voicing the thoughts of all the survivors.

"I'm open to a suggestion, gwador-nin," Elladan's voice was hoarse, carried to their ears by the acoustics of the cave. His tone was jesting, but the comment made Legolas realized just how much trouble they were in.

Elladan was completely unable to assist — it was frankly surprising that he was still conscious at all. Legolas himself and Aragorn were no use chained to the wall, and Elrohir could not afford to leave Eression for one moment. Besides that they had no way of knowing where the keys to their bonds were; Vardnauth might have them, but no one was in a position to find out.

Legolas leaned his head back and bounced it against the wall in frustration before remembering what a foolish action that was. He shut his eyes to make the world stop spinning and tried to think of a way of escape.

The hazards of their predicament were dawning on Aragorn and Elladan as well, but both looked about in silence, and Elrohir who did not even acknowledge their presence.

Legolas glanced at Elladan who was watching his twin brother closely, the elf's eyes shifted to look at the nearly dead human sprawled on ground. Eression let out a soft moan and a tear fell down a well moistened track down his face. He looked as though he were not long for the world; his face was sheathed in cold sweat and his lips were grey. The prince realized to his own chagrin that both he and Aragorn were very afraid of what Elladan might suggest as a solution, but Elladan said nothing and finally he turned his gaze back to Aragorn.

"I'll try to— "

"No Elladan," Aragorn broke in smoothly, "you'll only injure yourself."

"Who said you were the only one allowed to push your limits?" Elladan asked with a quiet laugh, but he paled another shade and let out a rasping cough as a result.

Aragorn was already shaking his head. "No El, it's no good. We'll just have to think of another way."

"Perhaps I— " Legolas was unable to finish his sentence as it was then that they all heard the noise outside the door.

Rushing feet, many of them, a commotion, perhaps at discovering the unconscious guards outside the door. Cries. Shouts.

Legolas heard his heart pounding in his ears.

Not now. Valar, not now!

He imagined the Corsairs finding this disaster, coming in upon them and seeing their leader dead and all the prisoners in the room, completely incapable of fighting back.

The elf felt Aragorn's eyes on him and he turned to see the man was shaking. His friend would not long withstand whatever the Corsairs would have in mind for him, he didn't think he could bear to see the man killed in that way, not after they had defeated one enemy.

The feet drew nearer and seemed to have multiplied, likely reinforcements had been called.

Legolas did not take his gaze from Aragorn's eyes, so he saw when the silver orbs filled with a strange glint of determination…to escape alive or die bravely, Legolas could not say. But he knew the man must be thinking of his family at this moment…a family that might never know what had happened to him.

All eyes turned suddenly to the passageway, just in time to see the dark figures flood the chamber.

/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/

Aragorn could not believe his eyes. Surely this was an illusion, brought on by the trauma he'd sustained, but when he turned and saw Legolas looking just as surprised he had to wonder.

The men who poured into the room like some sort of floodgate had been lifted were men of Rohan, clad in the armor of war and heavily armed. Many of them seemed to have sustained wounds and not one's armor was pristine, yet here they were nonetheless.

And at their head was—

"Take them, help the elf there…is he dead? Search the tunnels!"

"Valihondo!" The name burst from Aragorn like he had waited all his life to say it.

The man's eyes fell on the human chained to the wall and relief filled them.

"Thank Ilúvatar," he breathed, barely audible above the din of the soldiers behind him. The mayor of Kopairin, for it was he indeed, moved to the Aragorn before looking around frantically. "Where are the keys to these manacles?" he demanded.

"Search the dead elf," Legolas spoke up gesturing with his head to Vardnauth. Hamadan was closest and he quickly found the key ring Vardnauth had in his possession and threw them to Vardnauth before going to help with Elladan.

Aragorn could only look on in complete confusion as Valihondo unlocked the rusted manacles and helped ease him to the floor.

"Help Legolas," were the first words out of Aragorn's mouth as he clenched his teeth against the pain of blood rushing to his fingers.

Vardnauth did release Legolas but had to step back quickly as the elf practically shoved past him in order to reach Aragorn.

The man felt Legolas' hands against the sides of his face and carefully opened his eyes. The elf's concerned face loomed into view and Aragorn chuckled softly.

"Somehow it just wouldn't be right if I didn't wake to see you looking like death just once."

"I look like death?" Legolas questioned incredulously, but he was smiling as well, satisfied that his friend would recover.

Valihondo crouched beside them and smiled at Aragorn. "Are you alright?"

The pointless question caused both friends to laugh before Aragorn nodded. "I am forever in your debt, Mayor. Please tell me, however did you find us here?"

"That is a very odd story," Vardnauth replied with a shake of his head, “and one better told by another. But come, we vanquished many of the Corsairs' in our first attack, but the Rohirrim are searching the tunnels for the ones who escaped; I'm afraid some we may never find."

Aragorn shook his head gingerly in response, suddenly exhausted and concerned. "Is Elladan well? And Elrohir and Eression?"

"I'm afraid those names mean little to me." Vardnauth shrugged apologetically. "All your friends seem to be alive, but we must get you all out of here."

They did eventually get out of the cave, but it was difficult with Elladan, Aragorn, and especially Eression needing to be moved. Aragorn was supported by Legolas and though neither of them was doing very well, they managed. Elladan needed to take it very slow and a few times he lost consciousness only to gain it back a moment later wanting to know if Estel was alright.

"I am well, you bothersome elf." Aragorn smiled gently at his brother, calming Elladan's fears. "But we will never be out of here if you keep forgetting everything the moment you lose consciousness."

Elladan only managed a relieved smile, turning his head slightly to see Eression being carried out by Hamadan and a few others. Elrohir was still holding his hands on Eression's head concentrating on keeping him in the world of the living.

When they finally reached the cave entrance and broke into the sunlight, Aragorn realized that their escape was indeed reality. He took in a deep breath and felt the pendent at his throat move with the motion.

A search of Vardnauth’s body had produced only two things: a Lorien brooch, which Aragorn could only presume was Pippin’s (though heaven only knew how it had come into Vardnauth’s possession), and the Evenstar which had remained clutched in the elf’s stiff fingers. It was a strange comfort to have it back, for it reminded him that all was not lost. Arwen yet lived and that now at last he would be able to return to her.

Aragorn was startled from his reverie by a cry of joy from Legolas. He turned to see the elf rush to a place across the road where sat a very jovial looking being leaning against the trunk of a tree.

"So you still live, Gimli?" Aragorn chuckled at his own words, relieved beyond measure to see his friend alive.

Legolas was kneeling by the dwarf checking his friend’s many wounds feverishly.

"Get off you horrible brute! I didn't ask for a mother!" Gimli was batting furiously at Legolas attempts to inspect his head-wound. "And you two won't believe what I go through to get an army for you! Crawling through gardens, being scolded by little girls, watching Valihondo run around like a madman while my beard was used as a baby's plaything!"

"We are more grateful than we can say," Aragorn broke in with a smile. "We would not have survived without the aid of Valihondo and his men." The man's eyes were earnest and Gimli could only nod embarrassedly.

"I just want to know how you two survived so many years without me," he grumped good-naturedly.

"It was difficult, but somehow we managed," Legolas replied, smiling.

Gimli looked from one to the other. "Yet you still come out looking terrible. Had a visit from your good old friend Trouble, I see."

Legolas rolled his eyes. "All too true."

Aragorn eventually pulled away from the reunion to see to his brothers. Elladan was settled comfortably on the ground and a Rohirrim was taking care of his wounds. Aragorn smoothly intervened to take over the task, much to the relief of the soldier who was having more trouble from the elf than should have been possible considering how damaged he was.

"Thank you, Elladan," Aragorn said after a moment. "If you had not come we would all be dead now."

"We would not have known to come at all if we had not come upon Gimli," Elladan replied in a quiet voice, trying not to aggravate his head too much.

"That's three times he saved us then," Aragorn chuckled, and thanked Aulë again for creating dwarves in general and Gimli in particular.

"Yes, well, I would be very interested to know what reason you and Legolas have for being this far from Gondor. Gimli was vague on the details, but I'm sure you have an interesting story to tell."

"And a long one," Aragorn returned, tying off a bandage and rocking back on his heels to look his brother in the eyes. But Elladan was looking past him at Elrohir and Eression.

Aragorn followed his gaze and let out a sigh.

"He nearly died to save us you know," the man spoke after a long pause.

Elladan nodded dully. He looked as though he would be ill, an expression Aragorn had never seen on his brother's elven face.

Elrohir was still struggling to keep hold of the man’s life and, though it seemed to grow easier as the Black Numanorean's wounds were seen to, Eression still looked like death itself.

"I hated him." The words were so soft Aragorn almost missed them, and when he turned back to Elladan the elf wouldn't meet his gaze. "I hated him and I wanted him dead." The elf drew in a quick breath as though he had spared all he had on that admission.

Aragorn sank to a more comfortable position on the ground next to his brother, but did not speak. Elladan was struggling, that was evident, but Aragorn knew well which side of his brother would eventually take the field.

/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/

Aragorn wanted to leave for Gondor as soon as possible and, even with the many warnings he received, he and Legolas were given horses and provisions for the last leg of their journey.

Elladan and Elrohir stayed back with Eression, promising to bring him to the Houses of Healing as soon as it was safe to move him. He was doing much better since Aragorn had had a chance to see to him, but he was still lost in himself and the king did not know how much time it would take for him to return. Until then, he was in good hands.

Aragorn mounted up, hiding the wince accompanied by so much movement before he turned to look at Valihondo.

"I can never repay you for your help, Valihondo, but I thank you."

Valihondo only smiled. "Return to your family, Strider, they will be anxiously awaiting your return."

Aragorn nodded, and as Legolas rode up next to him, he turned to leave.

"Valar speed your journey, my king."

Aragorn turned back suddenly at the words, but Valihondo had moved on, returning to the camp to care for his men.

Legolas was laughing and Aragorn turned to look him in the eye. "Do you suppose Gimli— ?"

"We may never know, Strider." Legolas replied shaking his head. "We may never know."

/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/

June 10

Minas Tirith

Linen curtains swirled when the wind blew through the window. Arien rose to pull them together in order to block out the chilled breeze.

She turned back to the bed of her queen and resumed her seat beside the sleeping elf. Arwen had been slowly declining and Arien felt that all that kept the mortal elf from giving up entirely was the fragile hope that her husband would return…that somehow, no matter how impossible, he would come back.

Arien rested her face in her hands, propping her elbows on her knees and letting out a soft sigh. There didn't seem to be much hope of that now.

A noise grabbed her attention immediately, a soft tapping of feet…running feet. It sounded as though someone were hastily ascending the flight of stairs leading to the royal family's chambers. Arien stood and moved to the door so as to meet whoever it was when they reached her. She turned her eyes to the stairway and waited as the sound drew closer.

Arien saw the hand first, dirty and rough, gripping the edge of the opening to the stairwell. Then, from out of the shadows, a face. Aragorn.

Arien felt suddenly weak and all she could do was move from the doorway as the king rushed past her into the room, the elven prince hard upon his heels.

The handmaid did not enter the room after them, she could only press her back against the wall beside the door and whisper a silent prayer of thanks.

/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/

Aragorn was trembling as he reached his wife's side. Kneeling beside her he stretched out a hand to caress her pale face. Legolas stood at the man's elbow, holding the vial of antidote in his hand.

Aragorn turned and took the small glass bottle and without hesitating he pressed it against Arwen's lips and carefully drained it of its golden liquid.

The elven queen swallowed automatically and Aragorn was almost instantly plunged into cold fear as a million questions came into his mind. Was he too late? Would the antidote poison her as it had Tantur? Would she ever wake? He restlessly counted the seconds as he crouched frozen beside her bed, unable to move, unwilling to consider the idea that every second she lay there still as death was another step away from any hope left in his heart.

It was then that he felt a strange warmth as Legolas moved up closer and laid his hands on his friend's shoulders. The comfort of another's presence cleared Aragorn's mind and the man slowly released his tense hold on the sheets covering the bed and felt the despair melt away to be replaced by determination.

Quickly he rose and sat beside Arwen on the bed, checking her pulse and looking into her face for signs of change.

Aragorn refused to let his hope die away. Even as the seconds turned to minutes, he kept holding onto Arwen, calling her back softly whispering gently that he had returned. Praying and hoping that he had not been too late, that she would live, that all they had suffered had not been in vain…

Then, at last, after what felt like an eternity, Arwen moved her head to the side. A sigh escaped her lips, first distressed and then relaxed, as she slowly turned her head towards the sound of Aragorn's voice, and opened her eyes.

"Estel…?"

A sob broke from Aragorn's chest at the words and he leaned down to embrace his wife, careful of her fragile body even as he did so. However, realizing that it was indeed her husband returned to her, Arwen weakly reached her arms up and clasped them around his neck.

Legolas stood by the doorway, knowing he was crying and not particularly caring. He did not feel at that moment as though the journey had been hard, the trials had been deadly, or that a single moment had been futile. If it had all led to this moment, then it was worth it.

Every bit of it.

Arwen gingerly pulled away from Aragorn so she could look at his face. Color was already beginning to return to her pale cheeks and she smiled weakly up at him.

"What happened to you?" The soft question caused Aragorn to laugh through his tears.

"My love, you would never believe it."

"I expect to hear it all…you're not allowed to leave anything out.," Arwen replied reaching up to touch his bruised and dirty face. "That looks painful," she whispered causing Aragorn to smile.

"Never mind it, I'm just relieved that you are all right…I'm sorry it took me so long, I was afraid that I — I might be too late." Aragorn broke off, terrified by the very thought, but Arwen just shook her head slightly.

"I promised I would be here, meleth-nin…and I knew you would return; you always do."

Aragorn leaned down to kiss her on the brow and let the silent tears fall as he felt the warmth of life returning to her with every moment.

The quiet scene was broken suddenly by a shout which caused Legolas to start and Aragorn and Arwen to turn to the door just in time to see Eldarion, running past Legolas, followed closely by Elenwyn and Gilraen.

The shout had come from the boy and his face lit up when he saw his father sitting beside his mother, who was awake and smiling.

"Ada!" Aragorn bent down to catch his eldest in his arms and held him tightly, the tears flowing freely at the sight of his children. He had to widen his embrace to include both his daughters who were also eager to have their father's attention.

Following this greeting all the children wanted to see their mother; Aragorn was careful to make sure they did not overtax her strength, but Arwen was already looking much better and welcomed the hugs and kisses of her son and daughters.

Aragorn pulled Gilraen into his lap and leaned over to kiss Arwen, still hardly able to believe that it had all turned out in this joyous way.

As Eldarion launched into an explanation of all that had happened in his father's absence and Elenwyn clamored to have her many questions answered, Aragorn looked up and saw Legolas, moving quietly out of the door, leaving the family alone.

"Legolas." The sound of his name stopped the elf and he turned to his friend with a smile. "Hannon le, gwador-nin." The words were quiet and sincere and Legolas could only nod in return. Seeing his friend's happiness and relief after the hardships and worry he knew his Aragorn had undergone was all the thanks he needed.

The elf then turned from the room and gently closed the door.

/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/

Arien came to the bottom of the stairs with a light heart; an enormous burden had been lifted from this dwelling and she could not have been more grateful.

It was startling when, rather like the king had just done, Captain Erynbenn suddenly appeared as if by wizardry at her elbow. His eyes were wide and he was breathing unusually hard, as if the run from the stables had doubled in length and sapped his strength. "Arien, is it true? Elessar is here?"

"True indeed," she whispered, her eyes shining.

For a moment Erybenn's face transformed from fatigue to great joy, and then he seemed to recall his errand and looked regretfully at the pouch he was carrying. "I have news that ought not to wait…"

Arien looked back up the stairs and heard a muffled peal of laughter. Turning back to the captain, she made a decision.

"I'm afraid it will have to wait. The king has only just now returned, the queen is spared, and the children have just gone in to them…" Arien trailed off as she looked into his face, pleading with him to understand how important it was for their king to have this time with the family he had nearly lost.

To her relief, Erynbenn nodded and smiled faintly. "Yes. You have the right of it. I'll go see if there is anything worth eating in the kitchen, shall I?"

He turned and walked back down the corridor, a painful limp marring his usual stride. Before passing through the doorway, he leaned back and winked at Arien, and it was as if this last drop overflowed her cup completely and her rapt joy at this second return of the king poured forth in a peal of most perfect laughter.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List