Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Your Heart Will Be True  by Write Sisters

Chapter 10

Friends Unexpected

April 17

Near the northern border of Gondor

The morning dawned thick with fog and mist and Aragorn was under the definite impression that he had not dried out at all over night. However, the day of travel ahead of him brought a sense of alert purpose and he was in far better spirits as he and Legolas wended their way down along the Anduin.

It was shortly before midday that Legolas asked the question, though he had actually been pondering it for quite some time.

"Are we going to let him catch up?"

Aragorn laughed slightly at that and gazed up through the fog at the veiled sun above. "I don't know why we should."

"He can't be far behind us now, if indeed he was ever very far behind," Legolas pointed out, his expression mirroring that of the ranger's.

It was uncanny the way the two friends had both observed and ignored their tracker. Legolas was not sure how long they had been followed, but he assumed that their tracker must be a dedicated subject of Aragorn's due to his careful distance yet undeniable proximity.

As if reading the other's thoughts Aragorn let out a sigh. "It's probably one of Duurben's new recruits. I have little doubt that if one of them saw us leave they would follow as an act of duty."

"Not report to Duurben?" Legolas questioned with a frown.

"If they thought they had time, yes." Aragorn nodded, shaking moisture from his now dripping hair. "But if they thought this would be the best way to aid us, I would not put it past the younger soldiers to simply trail after us; all of Duurben's loyalty, none of his practicality or good sense."

Legolas gave a nod and fell silent for a moment. "So, are we going to let him catch up?" he repeated.

Aragorn didn't answer at once; the truth was he didn't really want any of his men with him right now. He and Legolas had an important task ahead of them and the questions the soldier would doubtless pose would only hinder them. "No," he said at last with a shake of the head that sent droplets of water spattering his face. "No, not right now. If he catches up to us or presents himself to us we will not send him away, but I see no reason to halt our progress for the time being."

This decision was greeted by a further silence between the two; the weight of the elements around them seemed to demand quiet and so they gave it.

It was not for another few miles that the fog finally came to an end. By then it was raining lightly again and Aragorn let out a forbearing sigh. "I don't believe I have been this wet through since Helm's Deep." His tone was the only dry thing for miles.

Legolas couldn't help but laugh. "Those were the most miserable fighting conditions I have ever been in."

"It didn't seem to bother Gimli very much."

"Blast the dwarf, you're right. In fact I think he rather liked it. It has been a while since I have seen Gimli, how is he?"

"Actually, I think you would know better than I," Aragorn replied, smiling at the thought of their companion. "I have not seen him often myself. He and other dwarvish craftsmen were coming to do work on the gates, but I don't know when he planned to arrive; he may be in Minas Tirith even now."

"Excellent," Legolas proclaimed, chuckling. "What a lecture he will have for us when we return."

"Of that I have no doubt. Beginning 'laddie' and ending either 'bless you' or 'I'm going to kill you now'."

The elf, who had looked at the path ahead, suddenly frowned. "Strider, what is that town there?"

Aragorn followed his gaze. He could not make out the town ahead nearly as well as Legolas could, however he could make out its outline right against the river. "It is likely Kopairin, one of the harbor towns. They make a good business of shipping supplies into Gondor and Rohan."

"Would it be safe to stop there for a time and gather supplies?"

"I believe so." Aragorn nodded. "It is an interesting place if I remember it aright. I have only visited once, but I know that we provide military protection for it as does Eomer. It is one of the few places where you will find an equal mix of Gondorians and Rohirrim in easy company."

"More so since the War of the Ring, I'd wager," Legolas mused as he study the town growing ever clearer as they approached it.

With a set goal to reach Legolas and Aragorn's pace quickened and they reached the town of Kopairin before the sun had set, Legolas chose to wear his hood up but didn't consider a further disguise necessary.

The town was much larger than Legolas would have guessed and, at the moment, very busy. People moved in scattered groups gathering up supplies to load onto several ships docked on the Anduin just off shore.

Aragorn immediately picked out the Gondorian soldiers. They seemed a rather surly lot, likely bored with such a dull position. Normally there would be little or no trouble in such a town, but considering the ways of the Corsairs, Aragorn and Eomer had been very careful with the guardianship of the important supplies loaded here.

The populace, on the other hand, was quite contented. Like Aragorn had said there were both Gondorian and Rohirrim men, woman and children, moving amongst each other with easy friendliness. It was pleasing to the king to see such harmony between the two races of men.

"We could use more food," Legolas was calling over the noise of townspeople, "and you mentioned a need for a blanket I believe." Aragorn gave a distracted nod, his eyes scanning the shops and buildings for one that could easily serve them.

A startled voice came suddenly across the way and Aragorn jumped badly when he heard it.

"Strider? Legolas?!"

Both friends turned sharply at the sound of the voice and found a Rohirrim man leading a horse through the bustling crowd towards them. Aragorn did not recognize the man at first, however something seemed oddly familiar about his lined and weathered face.

"It can't be…" Legolas breathed with a slight laugh, and then, suddenly, Aragorn recognized the bright green eyes.

"Nethtalt?"

The man reached them, smiling broadly and steadying the horse at his side.

"Greetings," Nethtalt replied, for it was indeed the man they had known since his childhood. "I must admit…I am rather surprised to see you both here." Nethtalt frowned slightly as he looked from Legolas to Aragorn. The uncertainty in his eyes was plain as he looked on the King of Gondor and his feet shifted slightly, imitating a movement retained from his youth and thus making him all the more familiar.

"Do not concern yourself with formal address, Nethtalt," Aragorn assured quickly, smiling in spite of himself. "We would prefer my identity go unnoticed."

"Of that I can be sure," Nethtalt nodded, his frown fading at last as he turned back to Legolas. "I can only believe you must be on a mission of great importance."

"We are," Legolas confirmed with a quick nod. "And for your own safety it would be best to leave it at that."

Nethtalt accepted the words and inclined his head before smiling as well. "Is there anything I may do to aid you? I am in town now trading off some horses. We've been years training this lot." He smiled proudly at animal beside him.

"And how is your family?" Aragorn asked, suddenly very eager to hear from his old friend.

"They are all well. Findel is doing wonderfully, and in the absence of children she has gone back to mothering homely beasts."

Aragorn laughed at that. He could remember Findel's first prized horse who been about the ugliest creature he had ever seen.

"What about the children, have they all left you both now?" Legolas asked.

"Oh, long since! I'm beginning to feel quite old. A few stay and help Findel and myself, but most of them have families of their own now. Still, we see a lot of them. Not as much of Thorongil, our youngest, perhaps — he has been serving under King Eomer for some time now and we haven't seen him for at least six years. But we're very proud of him."

Aragorn smiled at the news of his namesake and he was aware of Legolas' similar expression.

"So," Nethtalt said. "Is there anything I can do to aid you on your journey? I would gladly give help if I can."

"I thank you Nethtalt. We will be well if only we can find the best place to restock our supplies."

Nethtalt chuckled as he looked around at the chaotic crowds of people and nodded. "I can show you the very place, if you'll follow me."

/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/

Nethtalt led them through the teeming streets to a roughly thatched building that seemed to have been wedged onto the street of respectable shops as an afterthought. Aragorn knew he would never have chosen such a place above the other shops and he wondered slightly at the wisdom of choosing it now.

As if reading the other's thoughts, Nethtalt spoke in a slight undertone as he tethered the horse he was leading outside the small shop, "Don't say it too loudly but this is probably the best place to find quality merchandise without the constant haggling. Besides, I know Makar personally and I know he'll give you good service."

Aragorn and Legolas followed Nethtalt into the small shop and were surprised to find how spacious it was on the inside. The construction was such that it went further back even though it was very narrow.

A short, dark haired man with a stubbly beard and scar across his chin smiled amiably when he caught sight of them.

"Nethtalt, how are things?"

"Very well, Makar." Nethtalt traded greetings with the man and turned to gesture back at Aragorn and Legolas. "My friends here are looking for supplies and in need of your services."

"Whatever I can get you," Makar invited, leaning over to shake Aragorn's hand. His grip was impressive and Aragorn had to try hard not to wince as his fingers were crushed together. Makar was clearly stronger than he looked.

The door opened behind them and Aragorn moved aside as a young man with sandy blonde hair came through, looking agitated. Aragorn guessed him to be in his very early thirties and noted the finer garb the other was clothed in.

"Ah Makar," the man's voice didn't fit him at all and Aragorn was surprised by its resonant quality. "I don't suppose you've seen Sorni today have you?"

Makar shook his head, mirroring concern. "No, Val I haven't. I saw Pilin earlier."

The young man looked more worried than ever, but when he saw Nethtalt he brightened again. "Nethtalt! Greetings, my friend, I did not know you were in town. I don't suppose you have seen Sorni?"

"I am afraid not Valihondo; has she been missing long?"

Valihondo let out a sigh and looked guilty. "I was watching her but she wandered off while I was talking to one of the Gondorian sentries. I wouldn't be too worried except she doesn't seem to be in any of the usual places."

"Well, that happens to the best of us. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for her," Nethtalt assured the other man with a sympathetic smile.

"Many thanks, I appreciate it…" Valihondo trailed off, his eyes turning to Aragorn and Legolas. "Who are your friends?"

"Oh!" Nethtalt turned to the others and gestured to them. "May I introduce my very good friends Strider and Legolas. They're here to gather supplies before continuing their journey and happened to run into me."

"Welcome to Kopairin." Valihondo brought his hand to his forehead in the Gondorian greeting. "I hope you have a pleasant stay, if only a short one."

"Valihondo is mayor of Kopairin," Nethtalt explained with a barely contained smile, "and enjoys meeting new people."

Aragorn tried to hide his surprise as he abruptly recalled he had met this man before. The useful placement of the town had made the selection of its authorities important and before appointing Valihondo both he and Eomer had spoken with him. However, Valihondo either did not recognize Aragorn in return or, at least, had discounted any familiarity of features as coincidental. Certainly the idea of the King of Gondor in Makar's shop was ludicrous.

"I am pleased to meet you both," Valihondo turned back toward the door, "but I fear I must go and see if I can find my daughter, Sorni… Saravesse is not going to be pleased with me." With that the man disappeared and the door shut once more.

True to Nethtalt's word the two friends had no difficulty finding what they needed and were soon leaving the store themselves, bidding Makar a final farewell. Shortly thereafter they parted with Nethtalt as well.

"I hope we may meet again some time Nethtalt," Legolas smiled, recalling briefly the human's much, much younger days, and marveling at how the years had somehow passed him and Aragorn almost untouched and turned Nethtalt into a grandfather.

"I hope that we may. You are welcome at any time." Nethtalt gave a formal salute to Aragorn before the other pulled the man into an embrace and bade him farewell.

When Nethtalt had gone, leading his horse with him, Aragorn turned back to Legolas and let out a sigh that mirrored the elf's thoughts. "It never ceases to amaze me how the time passes. I can still remember when Kelegalen took him after his father died; just a young, frightened child in Mount Gundabad." Aragorn shook his head. "So much has happened and changed since then."

"Ah, but so much for the better my friend," Legolas replied encouragingly, glancing up at the sky as he did so. "It has grown too dark to travel, we may as well tarry here until dawn and get a fresh start tomorrow."

Aragorn immediately agreed and both went to find an inn where they could stay the night.

/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\

It turned out that Kopairin only had a few inns and only one sounded promising when they asked a passerby and so they entered the Unbridled Stallion. True to first impressions they found it to be owned by a family of Rohirrim who had decorated the interior with hangings and tiles and paintings of horses.

They were heartily greeted by the father of the family who gave them a room without question, happy to have the business.

"There haven't been many people staying around here lately." The man's accent lilted pleasantly as he spoke and he laughed as Aragorn glanced skeptically towards the open door where many people were visible milling around the town. "I apologize sir for not being more specific! We have plenty of visitors during the day, but none stay the night around here."

"Why not?" Aragorn was suddenly curious.

"Well," the man deliberated whilst detaching one of his little children from where she was clinging to his leg and bouncing on his foot, clearly wanting her father to carry her around the room. "I think some of them take the Gondorian soldiers as a bad sign, for one."

"Why should they take protection as a bad sign?" Legolas questioned, frowning slightly.

"Oh it's not the protection, no," the man shook his head and stared out the door, "no, it's only that so many of them have been around of late. The mayor said that was because some of the shipments we get through might be more important than others; to be honest I think that may be what the Gondorian captain told him." The innkeeper shrugged idly and shook his head again. "It could be nothing but it seems to be scaring off the visiting folk like there's war brewing."

Aragorn exchanged a glance with his companion and Legolas quickly saw the concern in the others face, it was strange to see how this load of responsibility for a whole nation weighed on his friend. He knew Aragorn must be thinking that if something did go wrong, he would be miles away from his post of duty, and they were moving further away all the time.

"Come, Strider," Legolas put a hand on the king's shoulder, "let's catch the last of the sun before turning in for tonight." Aragorn nodded with a sigh and followed the elf outside the inn.

/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/

Outside people still moved busily, but Aragorn noted that the crowds dwindled rapidly as dusk fell. Soon the sound of ships creaking in the wind was distinguishable to his keen ears and the sound of water came through clearly.

For a moment he shut his eyes and listened to the distant sounds. They reminded him of his time in Gondor and Rohan long ago, when he was only Captain Thorongil… so long ago.

As the wind changed subtly another sound was caught by his ears and when his eyes opened he saw that Legolas was looking in the direction from whence it had come.

It sounded to Aragorn as though someone was shouting and with silent mutual agreement both friends moved towards a darkened walkway between two lines of shops. Standing at the head of this alley they could easily make out the commotion at the other end.

Two Gondorian sentries, tall and broad with hands upon their swords, were speaking harshly to a young boy about thirteen years in age. The boy was trying manfully not to let his distress show, but his voice trembled as he spoke.

"S-sir I didn't mean to be disrespectful," he stammered awkwardly, and as he held up his hands imploringly Aragorn moved quickly towards the scene, Legolas close behind. "I-I just can't find my sister and I've l-looked everywhere—"

"Silence!" one of the guards barked, shoving the lad backwards. The other chuckled harshly as the boy regained his feet.

"We don't have time to be chasing after little girls, and your father should have taught you to be respectful to your betters!" With these words the Gondorian gave the boy another push, sending him straight for the ground — but he never landed. His fall was halted by a strong pair of hands which righted him gently.

"Is it in the nature of Gondorian sentries to treat children thus?" Aragorn's voice was hard as he kept his hands firmly on the boy's trembling shoulders.

The bigger of the two snorted derisively, but didn't seem to want to cross anyone so close to their own height. "What business is it of yours?"

Aragorn felt Legolas tense behind him but knew that the elf would not do anything rash — however much he may have wanted to.

"You had better watch your step," the second sentry continued, with more brash self-assuredness. "We are under the orders of the King of Gondor and you know the King would not be pleased to find that the common folk of this town interfere with his business. It might be enough to wipe this pathetic town from existence. It isn't worth our time as it is."

Aragorn's eyes turned steely but his voice was deceptively calm. "Be assured, I know the King Elessar's thoughts on matters such as these and I assure you he would immediately remove any man who proudly flaunted such behavior as yours. You disgrace the emblem you wear."

To this the man offered no reply and his companion jerked him back a step.

"We have other business," the Gondorian said gruffly and the two moved away, leaving the friends alone with the boy.

Aragorn watched them until they were out of sight, but then turned his attention to the youngster who seemed to want very much to get away from both of them.

"Are you all right?" Aragorn asked gently, getting down to the boy's level and keeping only a loose hold on his arms so he did not feel trapped.

The lad rubbed his face across his shoulder, smearing the tears hastily and leaving his whole cheek glistening in the fading light.

"I'm alright," he murmured. "Thank you…"

"It is no trouble, what is your name?"

"Pilin," the boy replied with a broken sigh. "I-I was looking for my sister…Sorni."

Aragorn recognized the name.

"Is Valihondo your father, Pilin?" Aragorn asked kindly, releasing the boy and letting him properly dry his eyes. Pilin nodded and looked from Aragorn to Legolas uncertainly.

"Have you seen Sorni?" he asked slowly.

"No, I am afraid we haven't." Aragorn shook his head and seeing the lad's distress he added. "Maybe you should return home for the night, it grows dark and your parents will be worried if you do not come home."

Pilin nodded again wearily and Aragorn could easily read the reluctance in his eyes.

"We'll see you safely home," Aragorn offered, rising to his feet and following Pilin out of the alleyway.

As they walked Legolas turned to Aragorn and spoke softly so that Pilin would not overhear.

"I could tell you would have liked to flay them alive; you kept your temper well."

Aragorn let out a long breath and scowled. "It was discouraging. In the days of the Dúnedain I knew all my men, and I hate that such knowledge is now beyond me — that such behavior as what we just saw can be perpetuated in my name... In Gondor and in Rohan we place such a high value on the innocent; it is not only wrong, it seems uncharacteristic that they should be acting like they did."

"It may be discontentment with their assignment."

"Perhaps." Aragorn stared up at the sky. The sun had sunk below the horizon line and now the people were disappearing from the streets altogether, hurrying off to their homes. Aragorn watched a large ship moving into the harbor from up the Anduin and sighed. "I feel an unease that I cannot describe, my friend. Something stirs here, and those sentries…something is wrong," he said at last, turning to his companion and looking the elf in the eye.

"I have sensed it as well," Legolas nodded, moving a little faster to catch up with Pilin who seemed suddenly eager to get home as it grew ever darker. "But I cannot place what it is."

Aragorn jumped slightly as several torches flared up to light the streets. Pilin moved faster until he broke into a run, calling over his shoulder. "My home is just ahead!"

The elf and ranger followed him until they reached a stately looking house that had been placed between an apothecary and what appeared to be a stable.

Pilin opened the door and lamp light flooded the street where Legolas and Aragorn stood ready to turn back towards the Unbridled Stallion for the night.

"Wait!" Pilin called as he ran inside and both friends looked at each other before deciding to obey.

In a moment Valihondo had appeared at the door. He presented a rather odd picture as he carried what appeared to be two of the exact same boy held like sacks under each of his arms. Both children were screaming to be let down in the most unconvincing manner; they were laughing too hard to get many of the words out.

"Hello," Valihondo greeted with a smile, putting both boys down (much to their displeasure) before opening the door wider. "Please come in. Pilin told me how he met up with you and I want to thank you."

Aragorn and Legolas entered politely as Valihondo closed the door behind them.

"Please allow me to unbury a chair or two." The mayor moved further into the room and proved what he meant. The cozy living area was full to the bursting with furniture covered in bedding and toys. "I apologize for the state of the room," Valihondo laughed as he pulled several blankets and pillows from two armchairs. "Every so often the children decide they prefer this room to their own and take up sleeping residence here; especially the twins, Tuilin and Dulin." He gestured towards the two identical boys who were now chasing each other's wooden horses over the sill of a window with somewhat more vigor than was probably advisable for the figures' fragile legs.

"It is quite alright, I have witnessed that strange desire before." Aragorn smiled and sat down in a chair next to Legolas.

"Have you?" Valihondo sat down opposite them and smiled. "Do you have children then?"

"Three." Legolas saw Aragorn's expression change slightly and his friend looked away to the fire at the end of the room. "Two daughters and a son."

"I have six," Valihondo said with a laugh, having not noticed the change in the others eyes. "Three daughters and three sons."

"Six?" Having been an only child Legolas couldn't quite imagine having five brothers and sisters.

"Six with the promise of seven," a new voice spoke from the left as a woman entered the room. She was young, about the same age as Valihondo, and held a small girl of about a year on her hip. This seemed to be difficult as she had a bulge to her stomach that explained her meaning better than words.

"Sara, my love." Valihondo jumped up from his seat as though he had waited for a painful amount of time for her to come into the room. She smiled as he took the little girl from her and put his free arm around her shoulders. "Gentlemen, this is my wife Saravesse and this is my youngest daughter, Fioni." The small girl waved shyly at the two men before turning her face into her father's shoulder. "Sara, these are two visitors to Kopairin, Strider and Legolas."

"Westu hal. I am pleased to meet you," she said with a smile, brushing reddish blonde hair from her eyes.

"Likewise, madam," Aragorn replied with a slight bow. He recognized Saravesse as a lady of Rohan and having already known Valihondo to be Gondorian the sight of the couple reminded him very much of Faramir and Eowyn.

The moment the introductions had ended Saravesse turned back to her husband. "Have you found Sorni?"

"Not as yet," Valihondo suddenly looked worried as he jostled the little girl in his arms. "I've searched everywhere I can think of and asked around but no one has seen her. I had assumed she had gone off to visit her market day friends without permission again, but that hope is fading."

Saravesse's eyes grew more worried than they had been. "What about Pilin?"

"Pilin is back," Valihondo assured her. "He was just out looking for Sorni. Strider and Legolas brought him back after a bit of a run-in with the sentries."

To this Saravesse's eyes suddenly grew fiery and her face furious. Valihondo seemed to know the expression well and he put a placating hand on her shoulder.

"He's fine, dearest; you may go see to him if you wish to be sure, but he was not hurt — thanks to these men."

"I thank you, gentlemen." Saravesse turned a smile on Aragorn and Legolas before taking her leave, presumably to look for Pilin.

Valihondo let out a sigh before releasing a now squirming Fioni to run around with her two brothers and sitting back down across from Aragorn and Legolas.

"She is not pleased with the presence of the Gondorian guards, I see," Aragorn filled the silence after a moment.

"I swear if she was not bound here by the child she bears she would walk all the way to Minas Tirith and ask the King to remove them personally," Valihondo replied with a wry grin.

"Are there many confrontations like we saw tonight?" Aragorn's voice was concerned and Legolas cast him a quick glance of sympathy.

"They seem to detest being here, that much is obvious." Valihondo shook his head before leaning forward to rest his chin on his fist. "When they first arrived here we had little trouble at all, they seemed to be pleased with their position and it seemed they were happy to have so little expected of them, but in the past fortnight or so they have become irritable and edgy. Their captain told me it was because of the large shipment that should be coming into harbor very soon now. They must look to it and he told me I am not permitted to see what it contains. I meant to oversee it myself but they claim their orders to be from King Eomer and I don't want to initiate trouble without proof that I'm needed. Just the same, I've been concerned about how they seem to be handling things."

Valihondo inhaled deeply, brushing his fingers through his hair absently as he shook his head. "Things have been chaos as it is, what with the people concerned that we have trouble on the horizon because the sentries are so anxious, and the Captain of the Guard telling me I have to leave everything to him and the Gondorians, which of course angers the Rohirric guards. It worries me, and I'll be glad when this shipment has passed through."

Aragorn nodded, his mind going over what Valihondo had said. The mayor's concerns seemed to echo the king's own.

"Now my daughter has disappeared, which I'm sure is unrelated, but I'm afraid she wasn't the only one to go off alone today; I heard from several parents in town —"

Valihondo's words were drowned out in a shock of sound as a massive explosion rocked the air.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List