Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Your Heart Will Be True  by Write Sisters

Chapter 6

Of Treachery

April 10

Minas Tirith, Gondor

Aragorn was on his feet in an instant, but the moment he stood the fear that clutched his heart held him fast and he could only stare up the dark stairs that led up to his family's chambers.

"Aragorn!" Legolas' voice jolted the king from his semi-trance and he felt his feet suddenly moving very fast. The elf reached the stairs first, but as they turned the first bend Aragorn pushed past his friend and reached the floor above an instant before Legolas. Aragorn didn't wait to see if the elf was following as he slammed the door to his and Arwen's room open.

His eyes strained against the dark as he took in the scene reflected in the dim candlelight. Arwen lay still across the bed, as though turned to stone, her face turned towards the ceiling. A stifled sob turned his attention to a small, terrified figure quailing by the door that connected their room to their daughters'. Gilraen stood petrified against the wall, her eyes nailed to something moving on the floor.

The viper was undulating swiftly across the polished wood, its sleek, lithe body caught sporadically in the flickering fire light… its intent fully focussed on the warm blooded creature before it. It reared its head, coming level with Gilraen's bare feet.

All this Aragorn saw in a moment. His hand went to his side, there was a flash as his knife was thrown end over end, a dull thunk as blade came down to cleave the snake's head neatly from its body. The throw was hard enough to imbed the knife deep in the wood floor, and blood pooled from the dead snake's body as it lashed about in death. Aragorn held out his arms to the frightened girl and Gilraen threw herself headlong against him.

"A-ada!" The girl was trembling all over, crying into his shoulder. "Naneth was screaming!" Aragorn's thoughts were immediately on Arwen as he lifted Gilraen up. He caught sight of Legolas standing in the doorway, searching keen-eyed for a further threat. Wordlessly Aragorn passed Gilraen into the prince's arms.

Dropping down beside the bed Aragorn grasped Arwen's hand — and found it cold as ice.

"Arwen." Aragorn heard his own hushed voice in his ears and tried to speak clearer as he placed a hand on Arwen's forehead. "Koiva, meleth-nin."

Arwen's face was growing pale beneath Aragorn's fingers and he began to fear the worst as he called her again.

"Arwen!" His voice held more fear and desperation than he had intended, and in the silence that followed every sound seemed to fade as though he were going deaf. He could vaguely hear Legolas trying to quiet Gilraen's tears behind him and something like feet running on the floor. "Wake, Arwen," he whispered, clutching her hand, begging her spirit to remain, certain that if he could hold her hand tight enough he could keep her there. With all the strength in his being he called for her, reaching as he had never reached, exerting whatever skill of healing there was within him and concentrating it in one desperate, silent cry.

Suddenly Arwen inhaled sharply, a strained painful breath that came out as an agonized cry. Her blue eyes opened wide and, though they were glazed with pain, they were alive. Aragorn quickly moved into her sight, sitting on the bed beside her.

"Arwen, what happened?" Aragorn asked urgently, although he guessed too well. He took her other hand in his own.

Arwen seemed unable to understand where she was, but her last moments of consciousness were apparently clear as day. "I heard it strike!" she whispered, her eyes flickering from side to side, unable to focus. "Estel…?" Her voice trembled on the brink of silence. "The children?"

"They are well," he whispered back. Taking first her right arm then her left Aragorn at last found the deep, swollen marks of the viper's bite in Arwen's left forearm.

"She was bitten." Aragorn tried to keep his voice calm. His heart was throbbing with dread and his mind was strained to the breaking point, but he knew full well that now was the time to keep his head and concentrate on what must be done, lest all his fears come to pass. Closing off all feeling, he put it away

Arien had come and was holding Gilraen now. Legolas was crouching on the floor, studying the dead snake, but he looked up as his friend spoke to the handmaid.

"Arien, quickly, take Gilraen and Elenwen to Eldarion's room. Tell Duurben I must see him immediately, then stay with the children. Lock the doors."

Arien nodded and ran from the room to do as she was bidden.

Legolas rose from the floor and moved to where Aragorn was closely inspecting his wife's wound. The elf at once recognized the look of resolute calm and concentration on the king's face. He feared what would happen when Aragorn's heart would be allowed to catch up with him, but for now it was held in check.

"Strider," Legolas came to stand beside his friend, "I recognize the viper. Do you have any Lhandlas?"

"We should have a full stock," Aragorn replied touching Arwen's pale cheeks with the back of his hand, feeling for fever and finding only cold. His voice was strained as he tried to speak aloud to his friend and maintain in his mind the gentle call which was the only thing holding his wife to the light.

"It should help cure the poison."

Aragorn nodded once, then looked up to see Duurben standing in the doorway. Pippin was behind the captain, his hobbit eyes wide. Keeping hold of his wife, Aragorn beckoned them in. He could see the thoughts playing clearly behind Duurben's darkened eyes.

"My lord," Duurben saluted Aragorn in a low voice. "Arien tells me someone stole into your private chambers."

"Yes, Arwen has been bitten by a viper. Legolas says that he recognizes it and that we need to administer Lhandlas with all haste."

"I can fetch some back from the Houses of Healing," Pippin offered immediately, his face unnaturally serious. "I know where they keep it."

"Fetch athelas as well," Aragorn commanded as Pippin left the hall at a run.

"What are my orders, my lord?"

Aragorn started slightly, having not noted Eression's presence behind him.

"We have an assassin loose in the palace," Duurben responded first, voice dropping even lower. "Gather the forward sentries and search for him. If he personally released the snake here it is unlikely that he could have gotten far."

Eression gave a short nod and departed.

Duurben turned back to Aragorn, concern evident in his eyes. "What of your children, my lord?"

"Arien is with them in Eldarion's room," Aragorn said briefly, his breath shuddering a little with effort. Arwen's body had begun to tremble just noticeably.

"I will double the guard on their room."

Aragorn distantly felt Legolas move up behind him and he nodded in agreement with his captain's words. Good. Duurben would watch over his children.

"My lord," Duurben was hesitant, his eyes resting with anxiety on the queen's shadowed face. "I cannot know for certain how any man could have slipped past the sentries, we may have a traitor in our midst."

"The thought has come to me also," Aragorn nodded faintly. "But I trust you to seek him out."

"Then I shall go, my lord." Duurben bowed and left.

"Estel." The soft sound of his old name drew Aragorn's attention to his friend. "What can I do?" The elf's blue eyes watched him closely. Aragorn turned back to his wife and considered the question.

Arwen's eyes were shut again and her fair face was pale as though all blood had drained from it, but great shadows like bruises were appearing under her eyes. The swollen mark on her arm had grown red and a black film cast over the blood. The trembling of her body was more pronounced and her breath was rasping in her throat. For a long time Aragorn could not answer, something had caught in his throat, restraining all speech. Though he felt himself moving to cup her face in his hands, felt his forehead touch hers as he strengthened his call, he could not be sure that he moved by any conscious thought. What did he need? A miracle.

"I will need boiling water," Aragorn said at last, his eyes flicking to his friend. "If you could send one of the men on the lower floor to get it and then make sure Pippin fetches back the right plants I would be grateful."

The prince agreed and left immediately, though at the door he paused and turned to look back. Aragorn was moving Arwen gently to the center of the bed, giving him more space to sit, and he had begun to whisper urgently in elvish, holding on with all his strength.

/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/

"Prince Legolas! Legolas!" The elf looked up at the sound of his name in time to see a hobbit rushing towards him.

"What is it Pippin?" Legolas caught the distressed expression on the hobbit's flushed face and immediately felt worried.

"There is no Lhandlas to be found!" The hobbit was still calling all the way across the hall but he had reached the elf upon his final word.

"What?" Legolas' concern grew as he began to walk back towards Aragorn's room, he had sent a servant to fetch back boiling water and had been coming to check on Pippin when the hobbit had found him. "Aragorn felt certain there would be a stock."

Pippin ran quickly to keep up with the elf's long steps. "Iorwen said the same, but she could not find it in any of the store rooms."

"Iorwen has not been a maid of the houses long, has she?" Legolas was tempted to return to the Houses of Healing and search himself.

"Not really, but the herb-master was there and he knew no better, he felt certain that they had a stock just a few days past, but they had not needed any of it until now. They can't explain it!"

Legolas let out a long breath and paused at the head of the stairs. "Pippin, can anyone hunt for more? It is a common enough plant."

Pippin nodded, but seemed at a loss. "It will be hard to find; there's been a great deal of rain and Lhandlas is easily drowned." As if suddenly remembering, Pippin reached inside his cloak and withdrew a piece of folded cloth. "The athelas has been pressed in there," he explained, handing it to Legolas. "Should I go search for Lhandlas?"

"Yes," Legolas agreed with a nod. "And with all haste, master hobbit. I would not say this to Aragorn, but I fear that if Lhandlas cannot be found there will be no hope for the queen." Pippin nodded soberly. Legolas had heard of Pippin's recent marriage to Diamond of Longcleave just a year past, and even without much real experience in such feelings himself, the prince could easily read the sympathetic fear in the halfling's eyes. Legolas rested a hand briefly on Pippin's shoulder and met the hobbit's gaze. "Do not fear, Peregrine Took, it will be well. Only let haste speed your feet and I will not detain you for another moment."

Pippin's left the hall as if his hairy feet had been given wings. Legolas found the servant with the water waiting outside Aragorn's chamber door; taking the water from her, he reentered the darkened room.

More candles had been lit, casting a brighter light in room. Aragorn still sat beside Arwen, his whole body bent over her as if to shield her from harm. He had cleaned the wound as best he could, but was clearly waiting for the herb that would heal her.

Setting down the steaming water, Legolas moved up behind Aragorn, laying a hand on his shoulder and silently handing him the athelas leaves. They would do his friend good as well.

"Where is the Lhandlas?" Aragorn asked when the elf moved from the bedside.

"I'm afraid there is none to be found in the Houses of Healing." Legolas hated having to deliver such news to his friend.

Aragorn tried not to let his fear show, but Legolas knew him too well.

"I have sent Pippin to gather searchers to find some of the plant and will go myself unless you have need of me here."

Aragorn shook his head, but he didn't look up. The athelas was still pressed between his palms as he watched Arwen steadily. She looked as one frozen to death, her face white and her lips tinged blue-black in hue. "I wonder," Aragorn's voice was distant growing fainter, "if you would be sure my children are all right and do not fear for their mother and me."

"Of course."

Aragorn nodded, at last moving to drop the athelas into the water after he had breathed on and crushed the leaves. The clean fresh scent filled the room instantly bringing joy to Legolas' heart though he did not request it. Aragorn's face seemed to lose some of the strain and though Arwen still looked deathly pale, her trembling eased.

Legolas left the room reluctantly.

/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/

Even as the night descended heavily over the city, its occupants were waking. Beginning at the center a wash of light spread to the edges — torches lit to aid the soldiers in their search. In a fleetingly incongruous thought, Captain Eression reflected that the city's children would be restless in the morning if deprived of much sleep. He shook his head to clear it.

"Captain Eression!" A voice hailed him from down the street and he turned to see a young lieutenant named Thenin, usually attached to Erynbenn's company, running from a guardhouse just ahead. Thenin came to a halt, his dark hair swinging around his face.

"Report, Lieutenant."

"We've searched up through the Third Circle. Sir…with all due respect, Captain, I am not sure I understand who or what we are looking for."

Eression let out a long breathe. He felt much the same way but he was determined to do his work thoroughly nonetheless. "Any sign of an intrusion," he explained. "Especially near the inner circle."

He did not voice his further thoughts before his subordinate, but he could not help feeling the entire search was useless. If there had been an intrusion into the city itself the likelihood of finding evidence of it was very slim. If the assassin had been planted in the city for quite some time, finding him in Minas Tirith could be impossible.

Shaking his head, Eression looked down the darkened street. It was likely that they had lost their chance to catch the intruder (or traitor, as the case might be), but further investigation would have to be conducted in the morning and by then the trail would be cold…if indeed there was a trail to be found.

"Gather the men, Thenin," Eression said at last. "We can search no further this night. Send several sentries to aid Sir Peregrin and the others."

"As it has been commanded," Thenin replied, saluting again and departing.

A good man, Thenin son of Beren; he bode fair to carry on his father's good reputation. Not more than a lad, yet ever since his father's fall to death in the Battle at the Black Gate, Thenin had been noticeably determined to prove himself. He was doing well thus far.

"Tantur!" Eression hailed another soldier standing in the side ally.

"Captain," Tantur nodded as he saluted a little wearily, his eyes heavy. Many of the soldiers had been dragged from their beds to help.

"I want the forward sentries back at their posts. Report to Duurben and inform him that we have found nothing and I have recommended the continuing of the search at dawn."

"Aye, sir," Tantur nodded. Because Duurben was his uncle Tantur was often the one sent as messenger and he was used to it.

After Tantur had gone Eression joined the men on the last level. Rarely did they open the outer gates at the dead of night. Eression had posted sentries by the gate to see that no unwanted guests entered while they were herb hunting.

Eression caught sight of Peregrin Took; the hobbit was moving quickly through the grass, calling orders to the other searchers.

Pippin glanced up as Eression approached. "I'm afraid I have no time to talk, Captain Eression," he said as respectfully as he could, and he returned to scouring the sodden grass for the desired plant. "I must keep up the search."

"Indeed, by all means." Eression agreed immediately, wishing that he could aid but having no real idea what was being sought.

A silence hung in the darkness that lay between the two before it was broken by Pippin's sigh. "This is all really horrible."

"Yes," Eression replied heavily. "I think Duurben will feel it a failure on his part when time is granted him to think at all. Such a swift blow to us all… swift and hard."

"I've no doubt that Aragorn feels it." Pippin bent down in the grass to examine a plant and Eression crouched beside him.

"I'm sure that he does." The words were soft and nearly drowned by Pippin's cry of relief.

"Here then! Right at my feet! Nearly trodden under in all my hurrying." Pulling gently on the wide leafed plants in the grass, Pippin drew up the herb by the roots, wrapping them in a small cloth.

"Is it dry enough, then?" Eression asked.

"Enough."

/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/\^/

Legolas had all ready made up his mind not to make his presence known to the children. He knew that Elenwen would beg to know why they had been rushed away in the middle of the night. Eldarion would want to help. Gilraen would have a million questions.

So he approached the door and, after receiving a nod from the men standing guard, Legolas cracked open the door to Eldarion's dark room, but did not pass the threshold.

A voice reached his ears immediately, a warm flow of words spinning a tale to a captive audience. It took Legolas only a few moments to realize he knew the story being told.

"And it exploded into a blaze of colors," Eldarion whispered in a hushed tone. "When everyone looked up they saw it was a huge fiery Oliphaunt swooping down on them!" At this he leapt at little Gilraen who let out a squeal and shrank back into Arien's lap, grinning up at her brother. The handmaid herself was drawn and quiet, but smiling gallantly for the childrens' sakes.

"Get back to father," Elenwen said, adopting her bossy tone, and her brother obliged.

"Well, Uncle Legolas and Captain Duurben had just found the enemy camp and were trying hard to find father before--"

"Skip to the part when Uncle Legolas finds Ada," Elenwen cut in.

"Elen—" Eldarion's forbearing tone forced Legolas to stifle a laugh.

"Or the wedding dance!" Elenwen exclaimed, remembering suddenly.

"I want to dance!" Gilraen chimed in excitedly getting up and tugging on her brother's hand.

"I want to hear about Ada and Uncle Legolas and the big plant," Elenwen changed her mind once more.

"Elen, you know Uncle Legolas tells that one best," Eldarion argued as Gilraen continued to hang on his arm.

The girl shook her head immediately. "No he doesn't, he doesn't make all the funny faces."

"Elenwen, you really ought to let your brother speak," Arien remonstrated gently.

With relief that they were alright, Legolas decided to leave the children to their antics; he wasn't sure he would be able to withhold comment for much longer.

As the door closed at his back, the elf again felt the weight of all the sorrow around him. It seemed that within the small room was the last remnant of innocence to be found, and who knew if it would last?

He reached the door of Aragorn's chambers for the third time this long night and nearly collided with Pippin.

"We've found it!" The hobbit's breath came fast as he held out the cloth to Legolas. "Captain Eression is keeping the searchers out to find as much of it as we can, but I came ahead with this."

"Thank you, Pippin." Legolas smiled with relief, took the plant, and entered his friends' room.

His heart skipped a beat when he saw that Arwen't skin had altered still more; every inch was gray, like ash, and her lips were turning black. Legolas stood in the doorway for a moment, transfixed, fearing that they were too late. But no, Aragorn still worked feverishly over his wife's body, other herbs had been brought to him and he was talking ever more urgently to her as he worked.

"Aragorn." Legolas handed him the cloth.

Aragorn looked worn and grim but a load seemed to lift from his heart at the sight of the Lhandlas.

"It is too late to save her with this alone," he whispered softly, looking up at the elf. "It has filled her body."

"I know," Legolas nodded with a sigh. "But it will do her some good."

Aragorn gave one nod before mixing up the proper salve. Legolas did what he could to help but neither spoke until the herbs had begun to take effect. "Koiva, meleth-nin," Aragorn whispered over and over, "Lasto beth nîn. Tolo dan na ngalad."

There was no change at first but slowly the grayness faded a little, leaving Arwen's cheeks merely pale, and then she let out a soft breath. After several agonizing moments, her eyes opened and though they were glazed and heavily dilated even for the dim light, she managed a small smile when she recognized Aragorn.

"Estel," she whispered softly, her eyes fluttered shut again in sleep. Aragorn let out a relieved breath that he had been holding back in fear of the worst…and yet he knew it wasn't over yet.

"My lord." The voice drew Aragorn's attention as he rose stiffly and he saw Duurben standing in the door.

"A report Duurben?" Aragorn's voice had regained some confidence, but Legolas could tell that much of his strength was gone.

"Yes sire, if I may."

Aragorn nodded to the guard before turning to Legolas. "After that, Legolas, please can you tell me what you know of this viper and its poison and if you know of full remedy."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List