Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Romance of Merrys  by Pendora

I. Returning Heroes

In which a feast takes place, the lads return home, and Meriella faces the first trials of the heart

{Note: This chapter is meant to take place after the lads' visit to Eryn Lasgalen, as told in Baylor's Barrels Out of Bond Revisited. (why is it so much easier to write stories based on other people's works?) That story continues to be one of my favorites, and I still keep a copy printed by my bed, and once in a while will pull it out, and have a laugh. And so I dedicate this story to Baylor (even if she doesn't know who I am), because it was she who first showed me through her writing that fan fictions can be more than just continuations of The Story, they can be moving masterpieces. Also, this story takes place in 1451, which means Merry (Brandybuck) is 59 (about 40 in Man years, although my calculations may be incorrect), Estella is 56 (38), Meriella is 23 (15), Linnet is 21 (14), Periadoc is 19 (13), Wilwanar is 18 (12), Emerald is 15 (10), Pippin (Took) is 51 (34), Faramir is 21 (14), Merry (Gamgee) is 24 (16), Pippin (Gamgee) is 22 (15), and Hamfast is 19 (13)}

1451, Brandy Hall

I was absorbed in an engrossing tale of love, romance, and heroism, when I looked up from my book to see Linnet standing in the doorway.

“Shouldn’t they be here by now?” she asked. Linnet is a bright lass and only asks pointless questions that don’t need an answer when she’s feeling impatient and on edge. She knew as well as I the lads arrival could be anytime from today’s luncheon to breakfast tomorrow morning. It had been nearly six weeks since Father, Perry, Willy, Cousin Pippin, and Faramir, along with Merry, Pippin, and Hamfast Gamgee, had set out for Eryn Lasgalen, palace of King Thranduil (the same Thranduil who was father to Legolas, the Elven prince which with Da was acquainted during the Great War).

The lads had been especially restless for several weeks and started to get out of hand. When Merry attempted to teach Little Tolman to ride a chicken and Faramir and Willy demolished the roof of one of the garden sheds in their quest for adventure, our fathers had put their heads together and deemed a travel to see the Elves just the cure for their sons’ present state.

Goldilocks (who consoled herself with a stay at the Hall for a week or so) and Linnet had mourned for days after the lads’ departure, devastated at not being permitted to go along, and I also had to admit, it did all sound rather intriguing. But we ladies must often be left to fend for ourselves and we had a lovely time turning the Hall upside down with all my lass cousins. After Goldi left, the remaining weeks seemed to last forever and we anxiously awaited the lads’ return, eager for news of the world beyond the Old Forest.

“Linn,” I said patiently, perhaps too patiently, judging from the dark scowl she gave me, “You know as well as I do that it⎯”

“Yes I know!” she interrupted with a roll of her eyes, the exasperation apparent in her voice. “But I can’t stand it anymore!” She strode over to the sofa across from where I was lying and tossed herself into its cushiony depths. “You’d think they didn’t want to come home.” She was nearly ranting now. “If I were them I would rush back as fast as possible, having some sympathy for the poor souls left at home, dying for some news!” Her hands were making dramatic gestures. “But that’s just the trouble with lads⎯”

Now it was my turn to be exasperated. “Now look here Linnet, you know perfectly well that if you had the chance to leave the Shire you’d behave worse than the lads and just never come home. Not to mention that no one outside the borders who hadn’t been warned about you would have anything to do with you and your ramshackle, flyaway tongue!” I hadn’t meant to be cutting, but I only wanted to return to my book⎯the leading lady had just received a mysterious letter from an unknown source⎯ and Linnet didn’t seem to really have anything to say. She was merely complaining to pass the time away.

“Well aren’t you just Miss Priss today!” She fairly roared, and was about to continue⎯with I’d rather not know what⎯ when a high-pitched squeal reached our ears.

“They’re here! Mum! Mummy! Come quick! Help!” It was muffled, as though coming through many walls. Emerald must be in one of the upper levels. But I barely had time to entertain this thought before I was racing Linnet to the door. She wasn’t far behind, however, and as we struggled to make it through the entry two at a time, she stumbled on my toe, I teetered dangerously, lost my balance and we both went sprawling on the floor. In an instant, however, we were up and after hopping about, grousing a bit at my wounded toe, I regained my footing and bolted out the back door.

In the courtyard leading to the main pony stables I saw the cart, all the lads hopping out of and about it. Not bothering to take further note, I rushed down the cobble steps and into Da’s welcoming arms. All around me I heard laughter, jostling, and well-known male voices, but for the moment I just wanted to rest there in my father’s warm, familiar embrace. I felt the beat of his heart beneath his burgundy waistcoat, heard his watch ticking, and drank in his pleasant scent that I can only describe as sunshine ⎯ or maybe more, the refreshing breeze that accompanies sunshine on a summer day. When we separated I discovered both our eyes held tears, but as I looked up his whole face was glowing with his cheery smile that warmed me from head to toe. “Missed you, Buttercup” he said simply.

Turning my attention to the noisy crowd around me, I hugged the lads in turn, bestowing a kiss upon each dear cheek. Hammie’s round Gamgee face looked contemplative and I wondered what he was thinking. I saw the bright look in Perry’s eyes and knew he had seen many marvels which he’d share with me later ⎯ he wouldn’t prattle on all at once as the others would. Cousin Pippin gave me a great bear hug, a peck on the forehead, and a wink with an exclamation of, “Believe me Meri-lass, the whole ordeal was a dreadful bore and you won’t care to hear any of it.” I laughed at his sarcasm and so did all the others; it had been to long since I had heard the sound of their mirth. A loud snicker reached my ears and I realized Linnet had caught up with me; Mum was there also, and as they both welcomed the lads as eagerly as myself, I idly wondered where Emmy was.

I ruffled Faramir’s hair, knowing how it annoyed him, especially now he was passing me up in height. Pippin was beside me and I teasingly swatted his shoulder before throwing myself at him in a fierce hug. Next came Merry and it seemed only natural to treat him in the same manner as I had Pippin and the other lads. But when I went to place a kiss to his cheek, I suddenly felt awkward. Embarrassed, I stumbled back, a hand clasped to my mouth, blushing, and peering shyly at him. And strangest of all, Merry smiled back shyly at me! In all of his 24 years, Merry Gamgee had never done anything shyly, and yet there in place of his typical sly grin, was this new, soft, shy, and sweet smile that was directed at me! I, of all people! We held each other’s gaze for so long it became unbearable, and I felt myself blushing deeper. I turned away and found my arms full of Willy. He couldn’t stop jumping up and down and babbling on in an excited tone about their adventures. Very little was audible, and all I could gather was a scattered sentence here and there, “Far bigger trees than the Old Forest,” “Barrel after barrel was empty,” “Was in dreadful trouble!” Unable to grasp much else, I merely laughed and covered him with kisses.

Suddenly, a door of the Hall slammed shut behind us and we heard a squeal of delight. Turning around I saw Emerald speeding down Buck Hill towards us. Her honey-gold curls ⎯ flying about behind ⎯ were askew and wild, and her face was flushed. Da ⎯ through many years of experience with his own children, and Cousin Pippin when he was a lad ⎯ judged where she was headed and skillfully caught her. Emmy was exuberant ⎯ bouncing around in Da’s arms, green eyes glowing greener ⎯ and babbling on excitedly, all in one breath.

“I was the very first one to see you come but he wouldn’t let me out from the dungeon infested with giant spiders and I said I should go free and that Pansy could take care but Phylly got away and when Pansy came back she flew out the window and I had to escape from him through the side door.” Here she paused in her narrative to throw her arms about my father’s neck and cling to him, exclaiming, “But I’m so glad you’re back!”

Chuckling, and patting her back, Da was still trying work out what she had said, who ‘he’ was, when Pansy ⎯ our nine-year-old cousin ⎯ came onto the scene, and whether it was Emmy’s pet bird, Phylly, who had flown through the window, or poor Pansy herself.

“All right then, enough of this.” Mum said, “We’ve got tea all set out up front. It was quite a gamble, as we didn’t know for sure if you’d even be coming today, so you’d best eat it all up!”

“I think I could mange to help out there.” Cousin Pippin inserted obligingly, rubbing his belly. We were now making our way around the side of the Hill towards the front lawn.

“Oh, I shouldn’t let you to the table, there’ll be nothing left!” Linnet said saucily.

“Young lass,” Cousin Pippin did a very poor job at mock sternness, “Are you sassing your elder?”

Linnet declared that one who had such a popular reputation for childish actions could hardly be called her elder, and therefore she had as much right as any to sass him. Now that was harsh ⎯ even if she was only teasing ⎯ and I knew she would pay dearly for that taunt. Linnet knew it too, and dodged out of Cousin Pippin’s grasp just in time, then bolted off towards the riverbank, laughing menacingly. With his long limbs ⎯ and an even eviler cackle than Linnet’s ⎯ Cousin Pippin sprinted after her at a quick dash.

Glancing up, I saw Mum disappearing into our smial. I followed after her, assuming she would be wanting help with carrying out the last of the food.

The dim lighting inside was a sharp contrast to the bright sunshine and I blinked, endeavoring to grow accustomed to it. I was making my way down the passage, when I spotted Da. Surprised, I wondered when he had left our happy crowd outside. His back was to me and he was pressed against the wall leading to the dining room, looking as though he were hiding. At first I was confused, but then Mum came around the corner, a laden tea tray tucked against her hip. Da jumped out from his hiding place and before she could cry out in surprise, he grabbed her round the waist saying, “Come here you” and placed a long, hard kiss to her lips. When they parted, Da was grinning cheekily and Mum exclaimed, “Meriadoc, you naughty lad!” But she too was beaming and smacked him on the arm good-naturedly, then reached up to tweak his nose. Deciding it best to leave them to their privacy, I smiled quietly to myself and slipped out into the sunshine.

Some 20 feet from the Brandywine was set up a large oak table, very nearly creaking under the weight of all the food. Mum, Linn, and I had busied ourselves that morning with preparing a proper hobbit feast, exclusively for us and our returning heroes. When I made my way to the front, I found my fellow tweens and teens ⎯ save for Emmy, who was preoccupied with displaying for Pippin her current “outdoor smial” she had created ⎯ had already seated themselves along with Cousin Pippin ⎯ who was eyeing the tarts longingly, and whom Linnet was still scolding ⎯ at the well-laden table.

I seated myself between Perry and Hammie, turning my attention towards Willy. He was in the midst of an animated story ⎯ consisting of wild arm gestures and vivid facial expressions ⎯ about King Thranduil and his reaction to Pippin’s attempts at demonstrating Terwilliger ⎯ a fun, complicated game, but involving some rather silly moves and strategies. We were all overcome with gales of laughter ⎯ Pippin not least of all ⎯ particularly when Willy got up to imitate one of Pippin’s moves, and Thranduil’s rather vacant expression. Before Willy’s antics could get too out of hand, Mum and Da arrived with the last few trays and we set in.

We were quite the jolly party and there was just as much talk and laughter as there was food and drink, if that is possible. I had nearly forgotten my earlier embarrassment and freely talked and jested with all the lads. I told myself it had all just been my imagination. Everything was fine, we were all the same people, and things would remain just the way they used to be. And yet, if that were so, then why did I feel my heart quiver every time I met Merry’s hazel-colored gaze across the table?

TBC





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List