Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Whispers of the Dragon  by shirebound

WHISPERS OF THE DRAGON

Chapter 4 --- Speculations


Later that day, when the sun was as warm as it was going to get, the hobbits took the opportunity to bathe as best they could at the River’s edge -- despite the icy water.  Frodo, especially, needed to scrub off all the soot and grime from the day before, as he had fallen asleep so quickly the previous night.  Legolas and Aragorn returned to the meadow to see what damage the fire had caused, and to try to locate evidence of anyone else who might have been up there.  When they returned, several hours later, Aragorn spotted Frodo sitting under a tree.

“Do you wish to be alone, Frodo?”

Frodo smiled up at him.  “I doubt you’ll ever let me be alone again, after yesterday.  Here, sit down.”  The Ranger sat beside him, noting the waterskin lying in the grass.

“I’m glad you’re drinking a lot of water.  Your voice sounds better; how does your throat feel?”

“Much better.  Yesterday seems like a dream, somehow.  It was so strange...”  Frodo frowned in thought.  “Why do you think the lightning hit the grass, and not us?”

“I was wondering about that, as well.  With our swords and your mithril, we certainly were a target.  That was one of the reasons I didn’t think it was an ordinary storm.  I don’t suppose we’ll ever really know the answer.”

“Did you and Legolas find anything?”

“No.  No footprints... or anything else.  There was no sign that anyone had been out there for quite some time -- physically, anyway.  Of course, the rain could have washed away any signs.”

“I doubt anyone was there -- physically, anyway,” said Frodo with a sigh.  “It’s quite wearying, always being a target.  And that means all of you are targets, as well...”  His voice trailed off.

“It is not you who put anyone in danger,” Aragorn reminded him.  “It is the Ring, and those who would use it to enslave and destroy.  You’re not responsible for us, Frodo.  We’re here of our own free will.”

“I know.  Yet it gets more and more difficult, knowing all of you are in peril just being near me.  I fear something may happen.  Are you ever afraid, Aragorn?  You don’t seem to be.”

Aragorn looked out over the water.  “Of course I am -- when I’m not sure that what I can give all of you is enough.  Like yesterday.  It’s difficult to fight shadows.”  He looked down at the hobbit.  “It eases me to realize that you don’t always have to rely on a sword or a bow for defense, but that there are other powers, other strengths.  I meant what I said about you and Sam; something surely binds you two, I’ve never seen anything like it.  Gandalf knew it; such foresight he had.  I wish you really had seen him yesterday, Frodo.  It would be so wonderful to see him again, to talk with him.”

“It certainly would.  But Aragorn,”  Frodo rose, now eye to eye with the seated Ranger.  “I’d have been dead long ago if not for you, and the Ring in the hands of the Enemy.  Perhaps you’re better at fighting shadows than you think.”

“Perhaps.”  Aragorn saw Frodo try to stifle a yawn.  “Do you think you can sleep a bit more?  We will be setting watches during the day, from now on, and proceeding at night as quietly as we can.”  He laughed softly.  “It will be difficult for Merry to travel at night, I suspect.  In the dark, he won’t be able to pinpoint our location every second!”

“He is amazing, isn’t he?” Frodo smiled.  “Such a head for plans and strategies and maps.  His family is very proud of him; he’s to be Master of Buckland someday, you know.”  He was struck with a sudden thought.  “Odd how we all seem to be heir to something.  Merry, Pippin, Legolas, Boromir, you... me... I wonder if Gimli...”

“Not Sam, I suppose,” said Aragorn quietly.

“No, not Sam,” Frodo sighed.  “But he’ll never want for anything, so long as I draw breath.  He deserves so much, he’s so much more than he believes himself to be.  What he’s done for me...”  He fixed the Ranger with an intense look.  “When we’ve finished this, Aragorn, and you’re king, you must see to it that Samwise Gamgee’s name is known and honored throughout the lands.   I very much want to see that happen.  Promise me.”

When we’ve finished this, and you’re king.  Aragorn caught his breath at the matter-of-fact statement.  Such a long road yet, such a long, dark road -- made brighter by this small person in front of him.  So much brighter.  He put his right hand to his breast, and nodded

“I will, Frodo.  You have my word.”  Aragorn tried to lighten the mood.  “And you must tell me what Pippin is due to inherit.  Not all of Tookland, is it?  I’ll try to be more respectful around him!”  They laughed together, but Frodo was not quite finished.

“Aragorn,” he said softly, “thank you for taking such good care of me.  Sam tends me as he would one of his beloved gardens, needing water and food, rest and care.  As you do.  Thank you.”

Frodo turned and walked over to his bedroll, leaving Aragorn sitting on the grass... sitting motionless and thoughtful, for quite a long time.

*~*~*~*~*~*

As the sun began to set and the air cooled, Legolas -- keeping watch with Gimli over the sleeping camp -- could finally stand it no longer.

"Dwarves are capable of the most peculiar sounds. What are you thinking and muttering about, Gimli?"

"Wizards."

"What about them?"

"How do we know it is only Saruman whom we must fear? What of the rest of the Istari, as you call them? Do they seek the Ring, as well? If not, why do they not assist the Ringbearer in Gandalf's stead?"

Legolas stared at him.  "Worthy questions, my friend, but I fear they are quite beyond my ability to answer. I suspect that if any of the Istari could assist us, they would have been called to the Council. We may meet them yet, although in what guise I cannot say."

Frodo sat up suddenly, gasping for breath. Hearing only the familiar sound of sleeping friends breathing quietly around and near him, he relaxed. Only a dream, then, he thought with relief.

"Frodo, are you well?" Legolas had walked quickly over to him, followed by Gimli.

Frodo looked up at them, still breathing heavily. "A bad dream, that's all," he whispered.

Legolas nodded and turned to go, but something in Frodo's look stopped him. He returned to the hobbit's side and knelt down. "Do you wish to talk?"

Frodo rarely shared any doubts or fears, and the Elf was somewhat surprised when Frodo nodded, and slowly rose, walking toward the boats. The Elf and Dwarf followed, and the three companions sat together on the wooden seats.

"I don't suppose Elves have bad dreams, do they?" Frodo began hesitantly.

Legolas chuckled quietly. "Elves dwell in two worlds, Frodo. Perhaps they are both real, perhaps both a dream.  Memories – good and evil – walk with us always.  However, ‘nightmares’ such as mortals experience do not come to us." He waited.

“Tell us, lad,” Gimli urged.

"There was fire," Frodo whispered. "So hot. Not like Moria, it was...different. We were all there, yet I was alone. It was time, I had to destroy the Ring. It was time. We had made it to the Fire." He was breathing hard, remembering. "I, I couldn't do it. I couldn't destroy it. I wanted to, I didn't want to, I.." He took a deep breath and looked at the Dwarf.  "You grabbed me, and held me down. I was screaming, fighting. Someone took the Ring from me and threw it in. Then there was just.. everyone looking at me with such disappointment, such anger. I felt only shame and grief and emptiness. I had failed." Tears were streaming down Frodo's face. "I failed everyone," he whispered, burying his face in his hands.

"Frodo," said Legolas softly, "Do you recall what you pledged to do, at the Council?"

"I, I said-----"

"You said you would take the Ring,” Gimli reminded him.  “Perhaps when we get to the Fire, Frodo, it will not be your task to destroy it. Only to take it there."

Frodo said nothing, but his companions knew he was listening.

"It was just a dream; perhaps another of Samwise's dragons trying to deceive you." Legolas smiled. "We have traveled with you a long way, my friend. There is not a person here who does not honor what you are doing and marvel at your strength. If you turned back this moment, Frodo, we would not be ashamed of you or hold you in lesser esteem. We could never be disappointed in you."

"Thank you.”  Frodo wiped his eyes. "Don't tell Sam. About the nightmare, I mean. He worries enough about me, as it is."

We will not,” Legolas assured him.  “However, Samwise knows and senses more than you may think. You do not wish to weigh him down with added worry or care, but I suspect he would not be burdened by such things. To lend you strength brings him great joy and purpose. I do not believe you truly know the gifts that surround you." He grasped Frodo's chin and gently brought the hobbit's eyes up to meet his. "Do not let the shadow blind you to Light, Frodo. It is all around you. It is within you. I think it will be enough to help you when you most need it."

Gimli patted Frodo on the shoulder. "Why don’t you wake the others, and have some food; we will leave as soon as it is dark."

"I will.  And... thank you both."

Legolas and Gimli watched Frodo walk slowly back to the small campfire.

“Frodo has proved himself to be much more than ordinary,” Legolas said quietly.  “I wonder if this ‘nightmare’ had something of a future portent about it.”  He sighed.  “Mithrandir would have known for certain.”

“Ring-bearer,” Gimli said, “but perhaps not Ring-destroyer.”

“I wonder,” Legolas murmured.  Was this, then, the true purpose of the Fellowship?  He knew Gimli was sharing his thought: Will this task fall to one of us?

** TBC **

Anso the Hobbit:  Merry’s intelligence and perceptions will definitely come into play in this story – many times.

aprilkat:  I actually hadn’t thought about Chapter 3 as showing the strengths of each hobbit; thank you for pointing that out to me!  And yes, “Ringspell” is not unlike “dragon spell” – twisting one’s own impulses and thoughts for its own purposes -- which is exactly what the title of this story is all about.

Armariel:  Your review-pictures are so very exquisite!  What a lovely gift.

Andrea:  Poor Boromir, indeed.  He was well prepared for a physical attack, but not an internal one.

Breon Briarwood:  A definite theme of this story is how Boromir’s thoughts bring him to his actions at Amon Hen.  I hope the slow progression I show will seem logical.

cpsings4him:  “It’s so devious because it mixes in a tiny bit of truth with the lies it tells...”  That is indeed a wonderful description of the “dragon” of this story.  And what a joy it’s been to find other folks whose hearts go out to Frodo.  He needs all the love he can get.

Dreamflower:  Oh yes, Merry and Pippin are definitely getting ready to prove themselves!  Their growth and perceptions will be explored further as the story goes on.

French Pony:  I like your phrase “Ring-heightened worry” on the part of Boromir.  That’s a marvelous way to describe what I’m trying to bring out in this story.

GamgeeFest:  I love it when the Big Folk go into “protective mode” around the hobbits – whether the hobbits need protecting or not!

Garnet Took:  Thank you.  I’m trying to show deeper aspects of Merry and Pippin, in particular, although all the Fellowship members will have their chance to shine in this story.  There will be much more to come!  And poor Boromir will indeed come to realize that he’s being manipulated -- but by then, will he be able to do anything about it?

Gayalondiel:  I’m glad you like characters “chatting and thinking”, as there will be a lot of that in this story!

girlofring:  Thank you very much.  Combining book, film, and our own imagination is always a challenge.

harrowcat:  Pippin is definitely a ‘typical tween’ – always willing to sleep late in the morning!

Larner:  The Enemy (in all its guises) is definitely growing more restive.  The Fellowship is certainly in a very vulnerable position.

Linda Hoyland:  I thought a lot about Boromir during the writing of this story, and learned a lot about him.  And yes, Pippin is “showing his quality”!  There will be more of that to come.

Pearl Took:  Poor Boromir, indeed!  *sigh*  And I really enjoyed writing Merry-Strider and Pippin-Strider scenes into this story.

pebbles66:  Thank you, pebbles!  I’m very happy you’re enjoying the story.

SlightlyTookish:  They may be a story behind Pippin knowing exactly what was in Aragorn’s pack – why don’t you write it sometime?  :D

Tigger:  Thank you.  Yes, that long trip down the River was a sore trial for Boromir.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List