Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Hobbit Aid  by Dreamflower

AUTHOR’S NOTES: There are any number of references to some of my previous stories here, and I have not tried to footnote them at all. Please feel free to ask if something puzzles you.

The axe in the attic relates to something my husband told me after Hurricane Katrina. One of his elderly patients had been a contractor who had helped rebuild the Coast after the devastation of Hurricane Camille. He told my husband some stories about it. Because of the fact that so many had died in that manner--trapped in attics--just as they did with this storm--he insisted that any home or building that he helped to build or restore be furnished with an axe in the attic, so that at least someone forced to take refuge that way would have a way to chop themselves an escape to the rooftop.

In my story, it only takes a few months for Buckland to begin its recovery. In reality, it is going to take years for the Gulf Coast to recover from the ravages of Hurricane Katrina.

But to even begin to recover would not be possible without all the help being given by kind friends like all of you.

I thank you so very, very much. More than any material assistance, just the knowledge that you were caring and thinking of us made the world of difference.

I want to give extra special thanks to Llinos, Marigold, Budgielover, Pippinfan, Grey Wonderer, and Anso the Hobbit for the reminders sent to me by snail mail and for the help and support over the phone when it finally came up. But to everyone on my friends list, and to everyone who took part in Hobbit Aid, my thanks as well.

I love you all.

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List