Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

One Heart Protecting Another  by Antane

Chapter 40: Climbing

"We are not at our best perched at the summit. We are at our best climbing, even when the way is steep.” Anonymous

Frodo licked his bleeding lips, desperate for any moisture.  Already half-delirious from thirst, he fell to his knees at an orc cistern and before anyone could stop him greedily lapped up the water there. The foulness of it burned his cracked and bleeding lips, but his parched throat was glad to receive it. His stomach was not. Almost as soon as he swallowed it, it came back up, stinging his cut lips even more. Sam supported him as he vomited and then wiped his mouth. Frodo sagged against him, exhausted and only half-conscious. His neck was red and continued to bleed where the chain cut into him. Sam wished he could soothe it, if only by his tears. He held onto his beloved brother for a long time, rocking him and softly singing of better times and sunnier days. Frodo lay unresponsive in his arms, then finally stirred himself and began to crawl.

He could not fail this time. Not this close. He was nearly completely burned out by his burden, but stubbornly he held on to his fraying self, pushing himself beyond what anyone could have endured. The fire in him kept him going, the fire that burned away all he had known himself to be and the Fire that healed him and warmed him and held him together. He did not know which one of two would finally dominate him and he would claim as his own as both warred within him and he was so weary of that battlefield. He knew the One he wished to serve though he barely understood it, but he knew all too well, that he actually served both. The decision to choose one over the over was coming and he was afraid he had not the strength to endure the final test. The call of the Ring was growing ever stronger in his mind and he knew he would be destroyed if he had to destroy that which he still so strongly desired. He grasped it around his fist as he collapsed. It was part of him. How could he part with it?

He heard Gandalf’s voice in his head. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

The Ring-bearer painfully raised his head and on his belly crawled on. I’m trying, he replied. I’m trying.

Sam crawled up next to him and took him onto his back. Shakily he rose and they continued on together.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List