Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Set Backs and Bonds Forged  by Coriandra

Title: Set Backs and Bonds Forged
Chapter: 2/10
__________________________

The next thing Sam remembered was lying on his side covered with a blanket. A hand gently stroked his arm, a hobbit’s hand no doubt. It was too small to be anything else. It was hard to tell how long he had been asleep, but it must have been for some time, he reasoned because the air was already filled with steam. He could hear the sound of firewood crackling and water boiling. Less distinctly, he could hear Aragorn’s voice. The first voice he heard clearly was that of Merry Brandybuck. Knowing he had failed to make lunch as expected, Sam decided to keep his eyes closed for as long possible.

“Frodo, is he all right?” Merry wanted to know. Strangely, was no irritation in Merry’s voice, only concern. That was unusual. Pippin said nothing, which was even more unusual. Merry was not a patient hobbit when it came to meals, and Pippin was even less so. Sam shivered slightly and tried unsuccessfully to suppress a cough.

“Oh, good! He seems to be waking up now. How are you feeling, Sam?” asked Merry. Pippin, who was sitting next to Merry, still said nothing. He just looked at Sam with his expression one of both anxiety and sadness.

“I’m all right now….I guess,” Sam replied, at a loss as to what to think of this. Legolas, who had been tending the fire and Gimli, who was splitting kindling, both stopped what they were doing as soon as he spoke and looked over at him with concern. Aragorn, who been talking to Boromir and Gandalf near the cave’s entrance, removed his gloves and came over to the fire, giving Sam a smile as he warmed his hands. Not used to being to centre of attention in anything but a negative way, the shy Hobbit blushed and instinctively moved closer to Frodo who sitting next him. Frodo, noticing this also smiled at him and held out his hand.

“I…I’m sorry everyone,” Sam said, looking down at the cave floor. “I’m late making lunch and we got set back on the quest 'cause of this.”

“Oh Sam!” Frodo laughed gently and put his arm around Sam’s shoulder. “You were sick, it wasn’t your fault.”

“No Sam, it was mine,” the Ranger told him. “As a healer I should have been watching for this, knowing that hobbits don’t do well at higher altitudes.”

“Well, I forgive you,” Sam replied trying to sound cheerful and mask his anxiety, “and as I told Mr. Merry, I’m feeling all right now, so I think I’ll finish making lunch. Then we can be on our way again.” Immediately, Frodo’s arm went from a comforting hold to a restraining one and he and Merry gave a Sam a reproachful look.

“He does seem to be better,” Frodo told Aragorn, “and Gandalf seems to think the problem was caused by the change in the altitude and the cold, not a serious illness.” Sam nodded his head in agreement, which he regretted immediately. As soon he did, his head started to ache again.

“Well, let’s find out if Gandalf was correct, shall we?” Aragorn suggested, smiling again as he went over to the Hobbits. Sam’s eyes widened noticeably and he would have pulled away if he could.

“Mr. Frodo…?” he began, but immediately let his voice break off, afraid that continuing would trigger another painful coughing spasm and knowing that nothing he could say would make a difference anyway.

“Mr. Frodo is staying right here with you,” Aragorn promised gently. “It would hardly be possible to separate you two, as Lord Elrond so rightly pointed out.”

“Well said, Aragorn!” Gandalf exclaimed. “Now the rest of us should wait outside and give Master Samwise some privacy.” Legolas, Gimli and Boromir left with no other direction. Merry got up slowly, but Pippin stayed were he was, still unnaturally quiet.

“Come Pip,” Merry said, gently lifting Pippin to his feet. “Don’t worry, Sam is going to be just fine.”

“Really, Merry?” Pippin asked, his voice barely audible.

“Of course he is. Strider will look after him,” Merry assured his cousin but Pippin still hesitated. “And you know Frodo will take good care of him too. He would never leave Sam alone feeling like this,” Merry pointed out. That seemed to satisfy Pippin. His eyes lit up noticeably and his voice became cheerful again.

“Good bye Sam,” he called over his shoulder as he happily followed Merry outside. “Get well soon, all right? We need you!”

______________________________

Responses to Reviewers:

Barbara Kennedy and boromir: Thank you very much. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Shirebound: Yes, I thought it might be fun to write something other then my usual sick Frodo stories.

Yellowrose and lovethosehobbits: There’s be plenty more Sam angst and H/C coming.

And last but certainly not least Phoenixqueen: God bless you, sister. I couldn’t have done it without you!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List