Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Green Knight and the Heir of Meduseld  by Le Rouret

(A/N: Thank you, guys, for indulging me as I took a brief hiatus from TGK! And thanks to all of you who reviewed my little ficlet; your comments were generous. But for now ... back to Rohan! ---Le Rouret)





They gained the valley at nightfall. The wind picked up, cold and fresh and blowing wet leaves round their feet; it cleared the rain away, and swept aside the tattered clouds from the brilliant spangled dome. Fastred looked up at the stars twinkling down, and smelled the peat and damp loam, and wished first that he were home with his mother and father and brother and sister; then realizing this wish was perhaps overambitious wished instead he were at Meduseld with his uncle and Léodwyn; then thinking this wish premature wished instead that Tamin could have come with him. Lassah had sent the bulk of the Elves back up the canyon to fetch the wives and children left behind, telling Rúmil it would be safer for them if they were with the van; for they pressed toward Edoras, and the safety of Éomer’s halls. So Tamin was sent by his father and Legolas to go with the scouts in order to bring back the Elven families, and though that dear boy had earnestly expressed himself desolated to be separate from Fastred he did eagerly comply, for as he said to Fastred: “This is the first commission laid upon me by my future lord, though to be certain ‘twas laid by proxy, for it was Handas told me of it – I had best do it and do it acceptably, so that he might see though a youth yet I am impatient to please him; and anyway I wish for you to meet my dear Naneth, for she is so congenial, and I should love for you to know her, that you might find her congenial also, and she a mother to you.” And kissing Fastred he took his leave, walking with Veryadil and Selendor and waving as he went; and when a fold of the earth obscured him it seemed to Fastred as though the sun had set, leaving him in shadow.

So Fastred rode with Lassah, who carried yet his little esquire; upon Lassah’s right rode Rúmil on a plundered steed, and beside him walked Errakh-Hem, surrounded by his Wildmen. Those hardy fellows eschewed the steeds offered them by the Elves as just recompense for their place in the battle; they were unused to horses they said, and did not know how to ride them; they were more comfortable upon their own feet. This impeded their progress somewhat, but Fastred did not mind; it was enough to ride by his beloved Lassah, and hear upon his other side Brytta singing a war-chant, and teaching it to the Dunlendings and sundry Elves in Rúmil’s attendance. Gimli and Andunië rode by Brytta, but if they spoke to each other Fastred could not descry their words.

They descended out of the pine forest to a low boggy place, and Errakh-Hem led them carefully round to firmer ground; at last the trees failed and they found themselves upon a low plateau, streaked and striped with streams and rivulets. Fastred could see the Onodló, shallow, ponderous, and rocky before them, gleaming in the starlight. Beyond it were huddled lumpy forms, the scent of smoke and the twinkle of fires.

“Behold our village!” said Errakh-Hem pointing. “I have little, my friends, but in hope that our fortunes be raised I offer our scant bounty to you.” He turned to Rúmil thoughtfully, then said to Fastred: “O Fastred Prince, as you speak the tongues of Men and Dwimmerlaik alike, will you render my speech unto the captain of these poor wandering folk? For our tongues are disparate and we know not each others’ words.”

“I will,” said Fastred.

“Excellent!” said Errakh-Hem. And turning to Rúmil he said: “You are wanderers and homeless as my people have been; ‘twould be churlish to not offer you succor when we ourselves have known such privation. It is rare we have the opportunity to practice hospitality – indeed we are none too good at it, being in constant state of want – but will you come with us to the river, and stay with us in our village? We have not much, but it is yours; you have come a great way and seek haven far from your homes, and have fought bravely as have we for one who is not your lord. You are weary and hungry, and your women and children no doubt are ready to rest. It is coming toward evening, and our womenfolk have stoked their fires and are looking anxiously for our return; it would be a great honor for me to play host to the Dwimmerlaik, and I be seen a great chief indeed to have accomplished such a thing.”

When Fastred had translated this Rúmil bowed and said: “Your generosity behooves you, O Errakh-Hem Chief of Dunlendings! Gladly will our women foregather with yours, and gladly shall we raise cups together to toast the Lord of Dol Galenehtar, who gathers all beneath his wings as a mother hen her chicks to succor.”

“Give me time!” Legolas laughed from where he sat lashed to Voronda’s back. “I must return to mine own lands first. But now we are all friends, and mightier in concert than in solo; your hospitality, O Errakh-Hem, shall be repaid fourfold when I am next able, and should I find Théalof’s neck in close vicinity to my sword-arm I will cede you his torc for your own.”

“Again then shall my generosity be repaid!” smiled Errakh-Hem. “Come then, my friends; for food and drink await us, and I see from the foothills lights approaching; these are no doubt the kin of the Dwimmerlaik here, who come to meet us.”

Sure enough the scouts ran up, and reported to Rúmil and Legolas that the scouts had returned, bringing with them the wives and children of the Elves of Lórien. Fastred turned to Legolas and begged: “Lassah! May I ride out to greet them? O please let me, for then I shall see Tamin the faster!”

Lassah laughed. “Well it begs propriety but we are well out of court I deem,” he said, smiling down at the boy. “Yes, Little One; go you to meet them, and make acquaintance with the other children. They shall be far more at ease with you than me.”

Fastred turned Karakse, his heart swelling; as he trotted off he heard Gimli to Andunië say: “There is great friendship growing betwixt those two is there not? A shame it is Tamin will go to Dol Galenehtar, Andunië, for Fastred will miss him.”

Fastred rode away from them with his heart growing heavy. It was true; he would stay behind to be king in Rohan, while Tamin went to Ithilien to swear fealty to Lassah. In Fastred’s mind he saw the boy wandering round the halls and corridors of Dol Galenehtar; he saw him aiding Andunië in the mews and kennels, or visiting Tyarmayél in the stables; he saw him begging pastries and sweetmeats from the cooks in the buttery, or standing quietly by in the Hall while Legolas dealt judgment and amercement. He wondered if Tamin and Halgond would be friends; he wondered if Léodwyn also would join their number, and he began to feel very sad. “It is all very well to console myself with thoughts of being King of the Mark,” he said to Karakse as his steed jogged along, the great hooves making squelching noises in the wet earth. “But when I come to the end of it but this remains: I, and I alone.” And with these dim thoughts he approached the coming throng.

It was difficult however to maintain these sad contemplations, for Tamin giving a glad shout ran to him crying: “Look, look! It is my friend Fastred! O come all you little ones to meet him, and be friends with him too!” And behind the boy came a stream of little children, running on small but sturdy legs, shouting and waving, eyes sparkling and hair flying, and Fastred could not help but laugh for sheer joy of it. He slid from Karakse’s back, and ere the children gained him he stroked the horse’s cheek, and murmured into the twitching ear: “Well I have you at least Karakse, and that is warm comfort; also to know these little ones will be well and safe in Lassah’s care brightens my mood somewhat.” Then the mob swarmed round him, little hands reaching to tug at his tunic and belt and hands, tiny voices like bells chiming, fluting his name: “Fastred, Fastred!” He was put in mind of Aldamir’s boys, and of his own brother Théodred, and laughed; their hair was like fine floss in his fingers, and their little hands were warm. Then Tamin, beaming, strode through their midst, and embracing Fastred said: “You see? I have told them all about you my friend; they are so happy to see you! Now come and meet my Naneth – she is anxious to make acquaintance of one so well-loved by our future lord.”

He pulled Fastred through the mass of children to where several women stood; one of them smiled at Tamin, and Fastred saw then whence her son had got such beauty and warmth. “Why she is near as lovely as Queen Undómiel,” he thought, his heart thumping. “Indeed I own she is lovely as mine own mother!” Tall she was and slender, and her golden hair ran down her shoulders like a gleaming cataract; her eyes were grey, and filled with wisdom and kindness. He swallowed hard, surprised to feel an untoward lump in his throat, and a trickle of perspiration snaked its way down his back. Feeling light-headed and breathless as though he’d run the whole way, he reached out his hands to the lady and stammered: “My heart sings to see you … your presence is welcome to me.”

She smiled down upon him then; her clear eyes sparkled with mirth, and her cheek dimpled charmingly. She laid her hands in Fastred’s; the fingers were strong and warm, and he trembled at her touch.

“To foregather with you, O Fastred Prince of Rohan, brings joy to my heart,” she said, kissing him upon the forehead; her lips burnt his skin, and his cheeks flamed. “My Tamin has said much of you in our march here, and already I feel you are as a son of mine.”

Cursing his youth and trembling tongue Fastred replied: “And … he did speak of you, but … he mentioned neither your name nor the loveliness of your visage.” He blushed deeply, and one of the ladies near her laughed; she but smiled at him, and said,

“I am Maelaëri of Caras Galadon,” she said, “and I thank you for your sweet words! I have known few mortals, but if all speak as solicitously as you I doubt not my new home shall be comforting as Lórien.”

“O it shall be, Maelaëri of Caras Galadon!” cried Fastred, suddenly and unaccountably filled with tender affection for the lady. “Dol Galenehtar is so beautiful, and Ithilien also; I know that you shall love to live there! I have loved it my whole life, and although my duty lies here in the Mark my heart shall ever live in Ithilien.”

“You see, Naneth?” said Tamin, dazzling Fastred anew with his smile. “Did I not tell you he was gentle? And he is brave too, brave and wise and very good with his sword. You should have seen him Naneth as he fought the captain of the brigands – “

“Yes, my Tamin, you have told me thrice already,” said Maelaëri with a smile. “Now I perceive that Handas and Tathardil are anxious to proceed; please do you lead us too, O Fastred Faramirion, that we might find a place to rest.”

“As you wish, my lady!” said Fastred feeling quite breathless; to Tamin’s amusement he kissed Maelaëri’s hand; the lady smiling did retire, and the children round them took up their chant again, clustering round Fastred’s legs, and tugging at his clothes. “Fastred, Fastred!” they cried in their little piping voices. “Shall we truly have pastries when we gain your home? And will there be pastries for all? May I touch your horse? What is his name? Will we have horses too? Will you teach us to ride? Is that your bow? May I touch it? Did you really fight in a battle? Is your sword dirty?” And the chattering crowd danced round him and Tamin at the head of the van, showering him with questions so quickly Fastred could hardly reply ere they asked another; beside them walked the scouts Handas and Tathardil with broad smiles upon their faces, and the ladies walked along behind, singing.

Arms round each others’ waists, Tamin and Fastred drew near the Dunlending’s village. The huts were mere hovels, constructed of mud and wattle, and there were no windows or doors, or even proper chimneys, but big smoking fires out front, surmounted with cauldron and spit. Before the largest hovel was a huge bonfire. There was a great crowd of people awaiting them there milling round anxiously; Fastred saw Legolas seated upon the ground upon some cushions, his bound legs thrust out like sticks before him; and beside him were Errakh-Hem and Rúmil and Brytta; Gimli and Bandobras stood at his back, and Andunië, her cheek freshly stitched closed, glowered at all. “Why look!” exclaimed Tamin pointing at her. “Someone has seen to her hurt; it must have been worse than she owned.”

“It was indeed,” said Fastred; “in fact Lassah had need to speak quite sharply to her ere Bandobras could close the wound, and said if she would not be still he would have Brytta sit on her stomach to hold her down.”

Rúmil and his men crossed the river then to collect their families; great was the joy between husband and wife in greeting, and the children after being kissed by their fathers returned to Fastred, fluttering and chattering like a flock of magpies. They forded the shallow Onodló and its small streams, and then Errakh-Hem gave a great cry, and the Dunlendings came forward bearing laurel-branches to meet them.

Once again Fastred was constrained to convert tongue to tongue as Errakh-Hem welcomed Rúmil’s people to his village. “All we have is yours,” boomed the Dunlending; “our food, our drink, our beds and houses. Come and eat and be comforted, for our people have prepared a feast for you!”

Then like two tributaries meet and join did the Dunlendings and Elves come together. The Elves put their own slim provender with that the villagers had provided, and all round the great bonfire the folk were seated; though their tongues differed the people were in fine fettle, for Errakh-Hem had pressed upon his folk the importance of their guests, and the Elves regarded the Dunlendings as gentle hosts. The children remained with Fastred, who found himself sitting with Tamin and several other dark-haired Dunland youths far from the great bonfire; the children of the Wildmen were shy and uncouth but anxious to please, and Fastred and Tamin did all they could to put them at ease.

It was a merry affair despite the poverty of the villagers. Fastred was hard-pressed to not look with pity upon the thin Dunland children and the squalid huts, the smoking peat fires and the tattered clothing; however thoughts of their want vanished when he tasted their meats, their smoked duck and grebe and goose, their baked trout and fried grayling and boiled pike, the baskets of roasted nuts, the plates of coin-sized spicy scallops in gravy, and prawns wrapped in peppery cabbage leaves. The Elves had brought hardtack and dried venison, and with all there was mead and watery wine, teasingly sweet and very refreshing. Fastred ate as though he would never taste food again, and the children swarmed all round him, tasting everything, chattering and calling and laughing, and making friends with the small villagers. Soon the Dunland children were treating Fastred as did the Elvish ones, touching his hair, and holding his hands, and demanding answers to such questions as: “What is it like to ride a horse? Can you eat them? Is this bread? What does sugar taste like?” And ever Fastred looked across the clearing at Lassah where he sat in state, speaking with Rúmil and Maelaëri, and Brytta and Gimli and Andunië, and Errakh-Hem and his lady, a dark thin woman with a shabby brown dress. Despite his borrowed clothes and the cloths wrapped round his broken legs Lassah outshone them all: His hair crowned him in brilliant gold, his eyes like stars flashed, and he laughed loudest and merriest, bringing even Brytta and the dour Errakh-Hem to smile and speak at ease. And the children watched Lassah too Fastred saw: The Dunlending little ones peered round their fingers at him, biting lips and staring with dark frightened eyes, though compelled like a bird watched by a snake; the Elvish children stared longingly at him, eyes alight with hope and burgeoning joy, and their questions began to center round the Green Knight and his people: “Do they live in trees or houses? How many guards are there? Are the kitchens big? Do they have lots of horses too? How close are they to the mortal cities?” But most of all from the Elven children’s lips was the query: “When will we meet him?” For Fastred could see even the littlest child’s heart yearned toward the Elven prince; and once hunger for food was properly assuaged a new hunger took hold of them, for they had been long without a lord.

At last the meal wound up, and after securing Andunië’s ability to translate tongue to tongue Rúmil rose and addressed the company. He announced to all assembled that the hour had come for him and his people to make their obeisance to Prince Legolas, though oaths would be made to the Lord of Dol Galenehtar in his Great Hall when they had gained Ithilien. Legolas laughed then, and embraced him, and speaking in a loud voice so all could hear he told Rúmil: “So long as the towers of Dol Galenehtar stand; so long as the Elves dwell in the telain of our trees; so long as Legolas Thranduilion sings to the stars beneath the circling void shall that demesne be your home and I your lord; you are my people, and I shall care for you.”

The Elves all rose and cried praise to him, which Fastred thought rather gratifying, though he noted the envious looks the Dunlendings gave the Elves, and wondered if the Wildmen would be more at home in Ithilien than Rohan. “Would not that be a good caper!” he thought smothering a smile; “Wild men living in Ithilien! Well stranger things have occurred I suppose.”

He felt someone pluck his sleeve then; he turned and beheld Bandobras, who was beaming up at him, and rubbing his small brown hands together. “You and Tamin gather the young folk and bring them along, will you?” he said briskly. “For the grown-ups are going to all bow to my Master, as well they ought; but he’s been right worried on account of these little ones here, all het-up over their traveling so far and having naught to eat, and wants to meet them proper-like, and make sure they’re well. So tell them to get theirselves in order – quite a bunch of ruly little chicks, ain’t they? – and come along quiet and respectable, so my Master can see what sort of children will be running round his halls and knocking over the statuary and breaking the crockery and wreaking havoc no doubt – Goodness gracious me; I wouldn’t be Dúrfinwen for naught; that I wouldn’t!” And shaking his head and grinning, the Hobbit sauntered back to his Master, his thumbs in his braces, whistling.

Tamin and the children were very excited when Fastred related Bandobras’ words, and rushed in all directions to prepare themselves; it was like unto stepping into the shallows of the Anduin Fastred thought bemusedly, when it was full of fry; for the little fish scattered hither and yon and one could scarce mark where they went. He kept casting looks at the bonfire where Lassah had been seated; there was a crowd of people round him and he was obscured. Fastred wondered how things would change for his Lassah when all these children had been added to the citizenry of Dol Galenehtar: would he seek out his mortal friends’ mortal heirs still, cuddling and singing and lavishing gifts upon them; or would these sparkling Elven children displace their lowly compatriots, sating Lassah’s love of little ones so that he had no more need of such fleeting pleasures? That thought disturbed Fastred, for he could not see Lassah disdaining Théodred, or Aldamir’s boys, or even the poor peasant children upon the eastern bank of the River. But then Tamin came to him with a spray of flag-lilies in his hands; his fair face was troubled and downcast, and biting his lip said he to Fastred:

“O my friend, but I am anxious within me; for as eldest child I am constrained to lead this throng, yet so eagerly have I awaited congress with Prince Legolas I fear I shall be tongue-tied, and make fool of myself and Adar both!”

He looked so unhappy that Fastred’s heart melted; taking the boy in his arms he said: “O do not be so vexed! For though Prince Legolas is a great and mighty warrior and a rich and powerful lord he is yet my Lassah; I shall be beside you you know, and I shall speak first, presenting you to him; anyway he knows you are my dear friend and will be mild with you – not like some of the terrible young men other lords bring to Dol Galenehtar; how condescending, how arrogant they can be! I tell you Tamin, naught raises Lassah’s ire like unto haughtiness, and he can be quite rude when he wishes. But you are not haughty, nor these little ones either, so you have nothing to fear of him!” He looked round; as fry acclimating to a man’s presence the Elven children had returned clustering round them; they held flowers and ivies and branches to present to the Prince, and hovering on the outskirts of the group were the children of the Wildmen, shuffling their feet. “Are we ready then?” Fastred asked, and seeing their bright eyes and eager smiles he took Tamin’s hand, and led the throng to the bonfire.

The crowd parted before them, Elf and Man alike, and then Fastred could see Lassah where he sat. Gimli had caused him to be set upon a throne of cushions and cloaks; his shining hair was crowned with a twisted vine, and in one hand he held a willow-branch, and the firelight illuminated him; he was golden and white and silver and green, and his eyes were like pale gems. Brytta stood at his left and Andunië upon his right, and the Elves of Lórien with Rúmil their leader stood round with the men and women of Errakh-Hem; Gimli and Bandobras sat at his side. Fastred could feel Tamin’s hand trembling in his own, and squeezed it to impart some courage and comfort, and led the children to Lassah.

When he gained the makeshift throne he bowed, though he grinned as he so did, for Lassah’s eyes were twinkling, and his lips twitched with laughter. Fastred could almost hear him say: “Ah the things my little esquire requires of me!” for he knew Lassah abstained from such pomp, but Bandobras was anxious his Master be held in reverence.

Fastred took Tamin forward, and as the boy sank to his knees at Lassah’s feet Fastred declaimed: “Legolas, Prince of Taur e-Ndaedelos, Lord of Dol Galenehtar, Green Knight of Gondor, I present to you Tamin Rúmilion of Lothlórien, who with his kin and fellow children seeks your clement grace and protection.”

“Fastred son of Faramir, Lord of Osgiliath and Prince of Rohan and my dear friend!” said Lassah with a smile. “I thank you for this gift you have given me; for as you know to your benefit the children of my friends I regard as mine by proxy, and as a father shall I be to Tamin Rúmilion.” He held out his hand to Tamin and said solemnly. “Rise, Rúmilion; you beg benevolence of me and it is accorded you.”

But Tamin rose not nor took the outstretched hand, but trembling upon his knees still he gazed up at Legolas with hopeful eyes and mantled cheeks, and said: “O my lord! To kneel in your presence is more than I could have hoped for; and to receive from your mouth such courteous words of welcome overwhelms me! But I am greedy, my lord; for though a youth and untried yet I beg a greater boon of you, that should I prove myself worthy of your regard you should take me as your own esquire, that I might serve you with all my heart!”

Fastred stared at him in surprise; Bandobras by Legolas’ side gave a squeak of protest, and Gimli chuckled. But Lassah’s face was grave, and laying his hand upon Tamin’s golden head he said: “I must ask you, O Tamin Rúmilion, to say unto me your highness and not my lord; for oaths have yet to be sworn and though a lord you own me not.”

“Still in the silence of my soul should I call you thus, for in my heart I have sworn mine oaths already,” said Tamin, his voice quavering. Legolas’ lips twitched again, but firmly tamping down a smile he replied:

“I have already an esquire, Bandobras of the Shire, who sits by my side. Would you wait ‘til he achieves both majority and knighthood at the age of thirty-three, and serve me through your sire in the meantime?”

“I would, my – your highness,” said Tamin earnestly, gazing up at Legolas with eyes of one who dreams pleasant things, and laying the spray of lilies at Legolas’ feet. “I will wait, for to be esquire to one such as the Green Knight of Dol Galenehtar has been my desire for some time.”

Legolas then allowed his smile to touch his lips. “And when your majority has been achieved will you then take your oaths as Knight of Gondor?” he asked gently. “Or will your sire impose upon you other duties?”

Rúmil turned to Legolas with brow furrowed, but then Fastred remembered his dream and he exclaimed: “He will indeed be knighted O Lassah; he will be the Black Knight, and we will fight by your side in the Ethir Anduin! I have seen it in a dream.” Legolas looked up at Fastred then, his grey eyes keen; and Fastred saw that Lassah knew he dreamt true as did his Lord Father. Gimli also gave him a sharp look, and turning to Rúmil he said:

“Have no fear, Rúmil of Lothlórien! For this is Fastred son of Faramir son of Denethor of the White Tower; visions have been accorded him, and we will see whether he inherit his sire’s habit or no; yet know this, that should your son indeed become a Black Knight of Dol Galenehtar shall his prominence and repute be of great worth. So console your heart therefore; through your son shall your fortunes be raised!”

“Even so!” said Rúmil with a smile, though his eyes were sad. “Gladly then do I consign him to your care, O Prince of Taur e-Ndaedelos!” he said, and looked proudly upon his kneeling son. “From march-warden to the father of a knight; already is my destiny increasing!”

“Rise then, O Tamin Rúmilion, as you have received your sire’s blessing,” said Legolas, taking Tamin by the hand and drawing him to his feet. He placed his hands upon either side of Tamin’s face, and kissed the crown of his head; when he released him the boy’s cheeks were flaming and his eyes downcast, though he appeared to glow the more with gratification. “Now give unto me the children relegated to your care, that I might know them too!”

Tamin turned then, and meeting Fastred’s eye beamed like a ray of bright light so that Fastred was dazzled; then he turned to the children and called: “Come to the Lord of Dol Galenehtar, Legolas Thranduilion the Prince, and give unto him your love and obeisance, for he is mild and generous and tender, and as flowers beneath the sun bloom so shall we blossom in his care!” And the children of the Elves came unto him bearing the lilies and branches to lay at his feet, and they clustered round him and reached out to him with their tiny hands; and he blessed them and spoke gently to them, kissing them and laying his hands upon their heads. Then did the children of the Dunlendings come forward too, dark-eyed and afraid, but also bearing gifts of flower and leaf; their parents cowered with grave apprehension at such effrontery, and the Elves looked askance, but Legolas did not see the difference: He welcomed them too, and blessed them as well; and all round the bonfire marveled at this, and were comforted by his promise of tenderness and protection upon these little ones.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List