Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Green Knight and the Heir of Meduseld  by Le Rouret

Slowly, as though he feared Fastred would vanish should he move too quickly, the Elf lowered his bow, and loosened the string so that the arrow dangled from his fingertips. Fastred stood still and quiet, hardly breathing, but his heart beat with excitement, though his mind whirled with questions. When he saw the pale eyes blink and the shoulders relax he carefully turned his sword and resheathed it, standing with his hands limp by his side. The boy watched him, biting his lip; after a moment he let drop his bow, and put the arrow back in his quiver.

Fastred took a deep breath; his chest felt very tight. Calling upon all his Elvish training he reached out both hands, palm up, to the strange boy, and spoke in the language he loved best, the one his Lord Lassah had taught him from the cradle.

"My heart sings to see you," he said, his tongue savoring the sibilant words. "Your presence is welcome to me."

The boy blinked; he looked puzzled, and Fastred wondered if perchance the ritual greeting were strange to him. He wished he knew the boy's origin, for he was acquainted with but the customs of Dol Galenehtar and Rivendell, and had no desire to offend. But the boy smiled then, and Fastred was dazzled; for the boy's face lit up, and it was as though the sun had broken through black clouds, for his whole countenance was suffused with delight, and the effulgence of his joy flooded over Fastred like a warm breeze. The boy reached forward also, placing his hands in Fastred's, and pulled him into the formal embrace, kissing him upon the forehead; Fastred returned the gesture, feeling dazed by the stranger's response. The boy's skin was warm and smelt of fir, and when he spoke his voice was light and clear, like celebratory bells chiming in high towers.

"To foregather with you brings joy to my heart," he replied, and giving Fastred's hands a squeeze he laughed; it was infectious, with the sweet quality of a baby's chortle, and Fastred laughed as well, feeling all the creeping fear dissipate with the sound. Even the trees seemed to recede, the branches protecting and not threatening, and the stars twinkling through the thick leaves sent blessings down upon them both. They stood and smiled shyly at each other for a moment, then Fastred said:

"I am Fastred Faramirion of Ithilien."

"Ah!" The boy's face, if possible, lit up further; Fastred was almost positive he would be blinded by the radiance of his smile. "Ithilien! Aiya, how we have longed to see it! I am Tamin Rúmilion of Lothlórien and I am grown so weary of travel."

"Lothlórien!" exclaimed Fastred, his mind racing. "What are you doing in Rohan?"

The boy's face clouded. "Well that is a tale my sire did warn me against the telling thereof," he said, looking sad. "How I long to disclose my heart to you, Fastred of Ithilien! For you seem to me to be one who may become a good friend in time. But Adar would not approve for he trusts not the mortals hereabouts."

"And well should he not, O Tamin Rúmilion," said Fastred earnestly. "Here in Rohan are plots and treason and evil men, and you and your father are wise to hide in Fangorn."

"Know you then the events round here?" asked Tamin curiously. "For we are quite confused, watching men run to and fro, killing and burning and arguing; my Adar says it is safer for us to wait until it is over ere we risk the crossing through the Druadan. But we are all getting hungry, for the battles and fire drive off the game, and it is so long since I have had fresh bread I am quite sickening for it."

"Yes; for myself I am very tired of beans," said Fastred with a smile; the boy's words had put him in mind of the smell of the kitchens, fresh-baked breads and pies and cakes; his stomach growled. "But if you come to Meduseld with me I can get you as much bread as you like, and pastries too, for I know the cook, and he likes me rather well."

"Do you?" Tamin's face brightened again, and Fastred's heart turned over; whether these strange Elves of Lórien turned out to be allies or no, he could not help loving this child. "It has been many months since I have had pastries – my Naneth used to make such good ones, when she had her own home and her own kitchen; she would bake them all flaky and hot, with cherries in them, and covered all over with honey so that it dripped down my fingers."

"Stop it, I beg you!" laughed Fastred. "You are making me even hungrier than I already am."

Tamin laughed again, a joyful sound. "Well what are we waiting for then!" he cried merrily, clapping his hands. "Let us go therefore to this Meduseld, that we might wait upon the cooks, and eat all the pastries we like."

Fastred was two steps away from leaping upon Karakse's back and galloping south to his uncle's keep when the memory of Lassah's death struck him again, and so cold was that thought that washed over him he was driven near to his knees. His sorrow showed through upon his face, and Tamin cried out in dismay, taking Fastred by the shoulder, his eyes filled with pity. "O Fastred of Ithilien!" he said. "What is it, this shadow of death and sorrow that so overcomes you? What sad errand suffuses you, that you travel in these benighted lands so far from your home?"

Fastred took a deep breath that sounded almost like a sob, and felt his eyes burning with tears; his stomach hurt, and he bent over to hold it. "We seek the bodies of our friends, slain by the men here," he said; his voice broke, and he sank to his knees. Tamin knelt beside him, his arms round Fastred's shoulders, and upon his fair face was a look of woe. Fastred covered his face with his hands, hoping the pain and tears would fade quickly, for he did not like to weep before his peers; however Tamin did not seem to disdain his grief, but embraced him warmly. Fastred leant into his embrace, and wondered to himself why he should have been so adamant against the shedding of tears, for Tamin clearly found nothing weak in them.

"You quite wring my heart with pity!" Tamin said, kissing Fastred's temple. "O how horrible a thing, to know your friends have been slain, and to be constrained to seek their bodies! But know this, O Fastred Faramirion, your search for your friends may prove fruitless, for we have taken many bodies and buried them – especially those of children – for we could not bear to see them mortify upon the earth, left for carrion by these awful men."

Fastred thought then of the rumors that the ghosts of Fangorn ate the dead young, and had to smile at that. "That surprises me not, for I know Elves are compassionate to the dead and to the living," he said, lifting his face out of his hands and looking upon Tamin; the boy brushed the tears from Fastred's cheeks, his eyes gentle. "But do you know that you have set all in Rohan upon their ears by your presence? Many men think that ghosts dwell beneath the eaves of Fangorn."

Tamin smiled. "We are not quite dead; not yet anyway," he said, slipping his hand into Fastred's. "But we are wandering and alone, and wish to go east; yet the discord in these parts has confounded us." He shook his head. "It is bad enough to have lost our Lady, and then our Lord in sorrow did forsake us; but now we are landless and homeless as well as lordless, and if we do not find refuge soon we shall be foodless as well."

"There is food aplenty in mine uncle's Hall at Meduseld," said Fastred, wiping away his tears. "Why he has taken in many villagers and people that Bréawine's men have plundered; I am sure he will take you and your family too."

"Dear Fastred!" laughed Tamin. "Your uncle's Hall must be grand indeed, to accommodate all of my people. Think you I came with none but my Naneth and Adar? We are many; full six-score strong, and near again that many women and children, though I am the only child old enough to walk with the warriors."

Fastred gaped at him. "Six-score!" he exclaimed in amazement. "And again that many; why, that is over two hundred souls! How have you kept yourselves from discovery, and what are you eating? Where do you all secrete yourselves? For though the Rohirrim tell tales of ghosts I do not think they have any idea how many ghosts might be found beneath the eaves of Fangorn."

Tamin laughed again. "My Naneth and the other women are far to the west of us," he said, waving his arm behind them; "my Adar though, and the rest of the warriors, are encamped quite close. How surprised they shall be to see you! Why I had no idea men spoke our tongue, much less in this bleak place! I count blessed the order my Adar gave unto me at sunset, for it sent me east and to your side." He rose to his feet, pulling Fastred with him. "Come!" said Tamin smiling. "Come and see for yourself! My father will want to meet you." And taking Fastred by the hand he led him into the darkness.

Fastred followed blindly, stumbling now and again over roots and rocks, but ever Tamin tugged him forward, looking back over his shoulder to Fastred with an encouraging smile. His cloak as it swirled about his legs seemed to obscure the boy further, and had Tamin not held so tight to his hand Fastred would have thought he were indeed following a ghost. Bemused with grief and weariness he followed, watching the light flicker upon Tamin's pale hair, and reflect greenly back from his gray eyes. Then he saw mellow firelight ahead of them, and heard a voice crying out sharply; Tamin halted, lifting his eyes to the branches above them, and called:

"It is only me, Eleardil! And please do not shoot my friend here; it would be very inhospitable of me to let you slay my guest."

A tall Elf clad in gray dropped from the branches, landing upon his feet with bow drawn and armed; his eyes were hard as flint and he stared at Fastred with deepest suspicion. Fastred gulped, feeling eyes all round him, and knew he and Tamin were surrounded by other such warriors; he hoped Tamin's words would be enough to buy him sufficient time to explain himself. "What do you think you are doing, Tamin Rúmilion?" demanded the Elf glaring down at them. "You well know the mortals in these lands are violent and cruel. Why do you bring such a one to our camp here, though he is admittedly but a small specimen?"

"He speaks our tongue, Eleardil," said Tamin earnestly, pulling Fastred to his side and putting his arm round his shoulders. "And he knew the formal greeting of Elf betwixt Elf. He is Fastred Faramirion of Ithilien and he seeks the bodies of friends slain by men."

There were more voices then, all round them and above them; more Elves dropped from the tree branches, all gray-clad and armed with bow and arrow. Some looked hard at Fastred, as though they waited but for him to run so they could shoot him; others however regarded him with curiosity or pity. At last an Elf strode forward through the trees, holding a drawn sword; Tamin released Fastred and ran toward him. "Adar!" he said, grasping the Elf's free hand. "Look; see what I have found! I have brought to us an ally in this strange land. His name is Fastred. He speaks Elvish. And do you please be good to him, O Adar, for he is very sad; the bad men here have killed his friends, though I think we might have buried them by mistake. And he says if we go with him to his uncle's house, the cooks there will give us bread and pastries."

Tamin's father looked down at Fastred, his eyes appraising, and Fastred held himself as firm and tall as he could beneath that cautious regard. "I am Prince of Ithilien," he told himself, lifting his chin and meeting the tall Elf's gaze. "I am the Heir of Meduseld. I am not afraid." And this time, to his surprise, his heart believed his mind, and he discovered he was not afraid. He was, however, a little nervous, for Tamin's father was so very tall, and so very stern-looking, and he was surrounded by many strange Elves, all pointing weapons at him. But Tamin was smiling, and tugging on his father's cloak, and saying: "Put your sword away, Adar! And tell Eleardil and everyone else to put up their bows. Fastred Faramirion of Ithilien speaks our tongue and is on a sad mission of mercy. We ought to help him not threaten him. Besides if we are cruel to him, his uncle might not give us any pastries."

"Peace, Tamin!" said his father, looking down with a wry smile at his son. "You are wed to your stomach; a warrior should mark not the food he has to eat."

"But pastries would taste good, would they not, Adar?" begged Tamin. "And Fastred Faramirion is in trouble and we ought to help him. Naneth would want us to help; I know that she would say so if she were here!"

Tamin's father stepped forward, and sheathed his sword, looking down thoughtfully at Fastred, who lifted his gaze back and gave a tentative smile. "You are brave, Little One," said the Elf with reluctant admiration. "Here you are, surrounded by many strange and fierce warriors, yet you hold yourself straight and tall, and look me in the eye as one man to another. Tell me, Fastred Faramirion, how is it you speak our tongue?"

"Shall I answer to one who has not made himself known to me?" asked Fastred carefully, dredging up all his many memories of the courtly behavior of Dol Galenehtar, and the visits paid his Lord Lassah by dignitaries from Rivendell and Mithlond. "I would have your name of you first, O father of Tamin, ere I disclose my mind to you."

Several of the Elves chuckled, and Tamin's father smiled. "Well spoken, Little One!" he said. "For though you might guess my name from my son's words, it is right and proper for us to speak gently one to another." He held out his hands to Fastred, and said: "I am Rúmil of Lothlórien, and my heart sings to see you. Your presence is welcome to me."

Fastred put his hands in Rúmil's, and kissed him. "To foregather with you, Rúmil of Lothlórien, brings joy to my heart," he said, hoping Andunië would not be too cross with him. He could see from the corner of his eye the other Elves lowering their weapons, and some came forward, tall and cloaked in gray. Fastred felt very small, and was glad Tamin was there, for the boy beamed at him from his father's side.

"You see, Adar? I told you he knew the custom," said Tamin gloatingly. To Fastred he said: "I have never met a mortal before – I am so happy to know you are not at all like the men who run round here!"

"I regret to say they are my people though," said Fastred, making a face. "I am indeed Fastred Faramirion of Ithilien, but due to the queen's illness I am also the heir of the throne in this land, and the machinations of these wicked men concern me rather deeply." He looked to Rúmil and said: "Why do you seek the Druadan, O Rúmil? What is there in that narrow wood to attract the Elves of Lothlórien? For I have heard that Lothlórien is a fair and wondrous place, and it is strange to me that you should quit that land, and seek out those where men dwell."

"It is not Druadan that is our goal," smiled Rúmil. "As you are of Ithilien, and speak our tongue, you must well know that Prince Legolas Thranduilion of Dol Galenehtar has welcomed all strangers and wanderers to his gates; with the dissolution of our Lady's house many of us seek homes elsewhere. My brother Orophin leads a great host of people north to King Thranduil Oropherion in Taur e-Ndaedelos, to beg him to take them beneath his protection; I however took the other part, who wish to live not in a great cavern, but in the towers of the woods of Ithilien, beneath the care of a blithe and merry lord." He laughed then and looked round him to his people, who also smiled; upon his face was a look of tender remembrance. "And well do I remember Legolas, when he passed beneath the eaves of our wood!" he said. "Well do I remember his fair voice as he sang of Nimrodel by the streams! I would swear fealty to one such as he, whose line is of Doriath, and who performed such great deeds in the War, yet hid his royal trappings from all, disdaining the accolades for the good of his friends. How surprised we were to find he was the son of Thranduil! And though it is strange to us an Elf lord chooses to make mortals his neighbors we are willing to live under him, and to obey him." Rúmil stopped then, for he saw the look of pain upon Fastred's face, and he exclaimed: "But what is it? What did I say to so wound you?" And Tamin rushed forward with a cry, his arms outstretched.

Fastred felt the hot tears course down his cheeks, and his face grimaced with grief; but he stood still and let Tamin embrace him, and fought back the racking sobs; he swallowed hard several times until the lump worked its way down his throat, and then said, in a voice hoarse with suffering: "Rúmil of Lothlórien, I grieve to disappoint you. But though you go to Dol Galenehtar Legolas Thranduilion shall not be there. He is fallen, and it is his body, and that of his servant Lirlindil, that my friends and I seek."

There were many cries of surprise and grief at this, and Rúmil blanched and swayed; then he knelt by Fastred's side, and placing his hand upon the boy's shoulder said, "How I am wrung within, Fastred Faramirion, not solely for my sake and that of my people's, but for the royalty of Taur e-Ndaedelos, and the people of Dol Galenehtar, and for you who counted him a friend! For now I see by your name you are the son of the Prince of Ithilien; no wonder it is to me then that Legolas of Taur e-Ndaedelos should have been dear to you."

Fastred wept then, cast upon Tamin's shoulder in abandon with the boy's arms flung round his neck, and heard the buzz of voices about him, though he cared not, for he felt his heart would surely break. For all these folk to go seeking his Lord Lassah, to beg his protection and care, and be turned back! But then he remembered something Hirilcúllas had said once about Galás being Legolas' closest kin, and was comforted somewhat knowing Galás of Doriath would be as generous as Lassah had been. "And even if he is not," he thought, "I shall prevail upon mine uncle, and he shall take them in; if I must live in Rohan I should at least like to have some Elves nearby." While the Elves spoke and argued about him he let Tamin sit him upon the mossy forest floor, and he leant upon the boy's breast; as his sobs quieted he realized Tamin was singing to him softly, a lullaby he did not recognize but which eased his heart and quieted his trammeled spirit. He closed his eyes and let his mind wander wherever it would take him – down the fields through the dark Druadan, out into the pastures of Amon Din hemmed round with high rocky peaks, across the shining Anduin to the high white crown of his home, Osgiliath; and thence to the gilt-tipped towers of Dol Galenehtar, the rooms blue-gray in the moonlight, white curtains stirring at the window, and the voice of his Lassah singing him to sleep.

***********************

He was dreaming of holes in the earth again, filled with cold damp darkness and the whispery voices of ghosts, when he woke with a start. He was lying upon a soft pallet and was covered with a thick wool blanket; the moon was high, and flickered whitely through the clustering shifting leaves. Tamin was sitting beside him, his arms wrapped round his knees and his eyes anxiously fixed upon Fastred. When he saw Fastred was awake he smiled, and Fastred once again felt the rush of warmth through him at the sight of that bright face. He had met none save Léodwyn to whom he had given his heart so immediately; now as then he felt very lonely and sad, and yearned toward the ready comfort of a youthful companion. He thought about what it would be like when he brought Tamin to Meduseld, and whether Léodwyn would love him too; then round his heart he felt a hot surge of discomfort, which puzzled him. "Why should I not wish to have my friends foregather?" he wondered, smiling up at Tamin; "Would it not be agreeable for them to be acquainted, as they are both to live as strangers in Ithilien?" But despite his best efforts his heart stubbornly refused to acquiesce; he was however too tired for self-reflection and wearily decided he would work out his reticence at a future date. He rubbed his eyes and wondered how long he had been asleep. He was about to ask Tamin, but then he heard familiar voices speaking some ways away, and he sat up, looking round.

Tamin pressed his finger upon Fastred's lips, motioning him to be silent; then he stood up and jerked his head toward a thick stand of trees nearby. Fastred scrambled out of the blanket and followed Tamin as he slipped in between the tree trunks, trying to be as quiet as possible. There was firelight ahead, and the boys stole through the shadows toward it, until they came across a small clearing. In the center burned a small fire, and many folk were seated round it, black against the golden light, and at first Fastred recognized no one save Tamin's father Rúmil and the Elf Eleardil. Then he looked closer and saw a slim woman with her hair burnished bright copper in the firelight, and she was speaking. Fastred's heart lurched – Andunië! Whatever would she do to him, since he had left the camp and run off with a stranger? But she did not seem angry, which was a relief; however she did not seem to be very happy either, and Fastred decided it would be prudent to listen unseen for a while, in case the sight of him stirred her to wrath. He and Tamin crept up to the shadows around the trees, and pressing themselves into the darkness began to listen.

Andunië spoke in Elvish; Fastred was surprised, for he had only ever heard her speak Westron to him or to anyone else. He peered round a branch and watched her, seated between Rúmil and Eleardil; she looked as disinterested as ever. Several of the other warriors were watching her avidly, and Fastred wondered if there were as many women of Lothlórien as men, and if Himbaláth were going to have even more competition. Clustered together behind her were Gimli, Bandobras, and Brytta; Bandobras was scowling with concentration, for his Elvish was none too good; Gimli was watching Andunië dully, slumped and dispassionate, and Brytta was sitting stiffly upright, his eyes darting this way and that, looking quite confused. "But of course," thought Fastred; "he does not know Elvish, and he does not even like Elves – except for Andunië of course – so he does not know of what they speak." Then fixing his eyes upon the huntsmistress he attended to the conversation.

"Nay, Fainilyas; you are many but Brytta here tells me Bréawine has many more; besides which if we show our hand ere the king arrives he might flee, and his predations go unpunished. 'Twere best to let us go, and to take your women and children to Éomer; he will have more need of you when the battle is begun."

"But if this Bréawine should come upon you, what will you do then?" argued Eleardil. "You are few, and have surrounded yourselves with mortals; what good shall man and Dwarf do you? Leave them with us, and take for yourself three good scouts; your friends will be the safer, and you shall be better able to withdraw your lord's bones without their interference."

Andunië opened her mouth to speak but another Elf interrupted her. "O no, Eleardil!" he cried. "You would not deny the Lockbearer his right to seek after his friends, so he might complete his mourning! You do not know, for you were elsewhere at the time; but I well remember the deep friendship betwixt Legolas and Gimli Gloinion, which bloomed in Lórien and has flowered ever since! Let the Dwarf go with the huntsmistress, and we shall keep the two young ones, and the man, here with us for safe-keeping."

Gimli raised his head; his eyes, red-rimmed and dull, sought out the Elf who had spoken. "My thanks to you, Tathardil of Caras Galadon! But if I go I bring with me my friend's esquire Bandobras, who grieves also; I would not be so churlish as to deny him this thing."

"The same grief applies to Fastred Faramirion as well," said Andunië firmly. "He comes too. And we must needs keep Brytta, for he knows where my lord fell, and where is his body."

Brytta, hearing his name, frowned down at Andunië; she looked up at him calmly, and spoke in Westron. "This is very dull for you I fear," she said. "You speak not the tongue of Dwimordene, and cannot mark our council. But translation is tedious and I am short-tempered." She looked across the fire into the darkness where Fastred and Tamin stood. "Fastred," she said. "Come here."

All the Elves turned, and swallowing heavily Fastred stepped into the light, with Tamin by his side. The warriors were smiling, and Rúmil held out his hand. "Come, my son," he said to Tamin. "You have watched over your friend well; sit you beside me and attend to our words. For by hearing the Prince of Meduseld translate our tongue to Westron we shall learn it too, and as we leave our bower behind 'twould behoove us to sing the songs of the birds in other nests."

Tamin took Fastred by the hand and led him round the circle to where Rúmil and Andunië sat. The two boys nestled in between their guardians, and Fastred was comforted to feel not only Tamin's arm round his shoulder, but Andunië's leg pressed against his own. She gestured to Brytta and he sat upon her other side. He looked very grubby and disheveled next to the Elves; his face was lined and unsightly, and he sat half a head taller than any of his companions. He seemed very uncomfortable, but sat proudly beside the huntsmistress, and turned his eyes upon Fastred. "Well, Fastred Prince," he said gruffly; "you have certainly inherited your Lady Mother's predilection to run off on your own! Next time you take your leave of us will you at least warn us first?"

"Well at least he ran in the right direction," said Bandobras huffily. "And if he had to get found by someone, a bunch of Elvish warriors is better than anything else I can think of."

"Quiet," grunted Gimli. "An army of a thousand would not help us much now."

"A thousand warriors such as these would help Éomer though," said Brytta looking round the circle. "Can you not ask them to go to Meduseld? They might meet with our own people then, and swell their ranks."

"What did the man say?" asked Tamin tugging on Fastred's sleeve.

"He says he wants your father and his warriors to help mine uncle fight the bad men," said Fastred; round the circle the Elves looked surprised, and some exchanged dark looks. Eleardil frowned.

"And what would it profit us to so risk our lives in such a venture?" he asked. "We are beset enough; was it not sufficient our Lady threw down Dol Guldur, and that we wander homeless? Might we not press east, to find rest beneath the eaves of Ithilien?"

Andunië's eyes narrowed at his words; Fastred hurriedly turned to Brytta and said: "They have fought for years against the darkness, and have nowhere to live; they are tired and hungry, and wish to go to Ithilien."

Brytta looked angry. "And so they will turn their backs upon those who might become their allies one day, letting an evil man slay the innocent and depose the king who is friendly with the land they seek? Will they let the death of a great Elf-lord go unavenged? Do they think they can live amongst men as they have lived in Dwimordene – thinking of none but themselves, and of naught but their own well-being? Do they not see countries and peoples beyond their own borders?" He stopped and lifted his chin, glaring round the circle; the Elves, puzzled, turned to Fastred, waiting for him to translate. Fastred blushed, and turned to Andunië, asking in a low voice in Westron: "Must I translate that, Andunië?"

Andunië's eyes glittered dangerously. "If you do not I shall, and without softening the blow," she said.

Fastred sighed, and as best he could told the Elves what Brytta had said. They looked affronted at this, and some spoke angrily back; Rúmil however raised his hand for silence, and when he had gained their attention said: "My friends, the man speaks true. For many ages has Lothlórien hid itself, and the Elves of Lothlórien disdained those races about them. But with the coming of the Ringbearer, and the departure of Arwen Undómiel, our groves and woods are empty; there is no longer any great Darkness to resist – only the evils of such men as this Bréawine, who seeks destruction and turmoil. And think you well, all of you – the lord to whom we were to have sworn our allegiance was a friend not only to Elessar, but to Faramir of Ithilien, and to Éomer of Rohan. Would he not have armed himself, and led many warriors upon the road to Meduseld to go to his friend's aid? And would we not have heeded his call upon our fealty, and marched at his side? The days of concealment and secrecy are past. If we are to live amongst the Elves of Dol Galenehtar, then we must needs learn to befriend the mortals their neighbors for they shall be our neighbors too." He frowned round the circle; the Elves were exchanging glances, and some looked shamefaced. "Or you could return to Lothlórien, to those our brothers who refused to leave," said Rúmil. "You too could wander beneath the towering mellyrn, walk along silent streams, climb empty telain and worship alone in overgrown olintalari; you could watch the leaves turn and fall, watch the everlasting wheel of the sky circle above you, hiding ever from those mortals whose lives press upon us, shrinking and dwindling into obscurity." Some of the Elves shook their heads; several were watching Rúmil with shining eyes. "But you know well, my brethren," said Rúmil, "the great deeds done by men and Dwarves and Hobbits these past years, and the great Evil that was cast down by those whom other Eldar might disdain. Shall we not join with them? Is there now no great deed left for the Galadrim to accomplish? Are there no great warriors we might succor? Shall the Elves of Lórien retire them to their pallets, laying down sword and bow, and turning blind eyes to the cruelties of evil men? Do we now disdain the call of the oppressed, and spurn the ghostly call of our erstwhile lord to go to the aid of his allies? Nay! For myself, should this Brytta ask it of me, I would go to his king, and to Fastred Faramirion's uncle, and offer up my sword and my bow to his favor; in that way we shall endear ourselves to those who otherwise might look upon us askance, as humble beggars who cannot, or will not, fend for themselves."

Some of the Elves grumbled, but the most part whispered excitedly to each other instead; Fastred however ignored this as he was trying to quickly tell Brytta what Rúmil had said. It was difficult to remember it all, but he did his best, and Brytta at least appeared appeased. At last he had finished and then Eleardil did say: "That is all very well, but what of our others, whom we hid deep in the wood? What shall we do with them? Let the women and children fight as well? Even if we had arms enough I would not let my daughter into battle!"

"Perhaps Andunië could lead them to safety," said Tathardil politely, smiling at her. "After all they will not mind following a woman to Meduseld, and open battle is hardly the place for you, O huntsmistress."

Fastred scrambled to translate this to Brytta, watching with trepidation as Andunië turned her cold eyes upon Tathardil; then she said a single word in reply to the Elf, who blanched and drew back.

"What? What did she say?" demanded Brytta then, looking round the circle of Elves, upon whose faces were expressions ranging from offense to amusement.

Fastred blushed. "I – I am not allowed to say that word," he stammered, and glanced apologetically over at Tamin, who was scarlet, and stared at Andunië as though she would bite him. Brytta turned to Bandobras irritably.

"Well? What did she say?" he asked of the Hobbit.

Bandobras snorted. "What; do you want me to risk my mum washing my mouth out with soap?" Brytta stared, and Gimli gave a weak chuckle.

"Suffice to say, she refused," he said shortly.

"Ah!" Brytta smiled at Andunië; she was glaring at Rúmil, who had dared to laugh; she did not seem to frighten him at all. "You will have to teach me that word, Pretty Maid," Brytta said. "If it will not offend Fastred Prince's sensibilities, that is."

"Fastred!" whispered Tamin. "How is it you knew that word? Is it a word Andunië uses with frequency? Do all the women in Dol Galenehtar speak thus?"

"O no!" exclaimed Fastred, shocked at the thought of Dúrfinwen or Hirilcúllas saying such a thing. "I heard it from Lord Legolas, when he had broken his lance upon the quintain, and he apologized to me after he realized I had been listening, and begged that I would not tell my mother what he had said."

Tamin laughed then, though he looked sad also. "Ah, how I regret that he shall not be my lord!" he said with a sigh. "All I have heard of him convinces me the more that he should have been great fun."

"He was," agreed Fastred, and once again felt the heaviness in his breast at the thought of Lassah's death; then he had need to attend to the council again, for Rúmil had spoken.

"I do not think me Andunië will find it agreeable to abandon her quest ere it is come to fruition," he said dryly, giving the scowling Andunië a smile. "Therefore I suggest to you all that we let them go, for they have just enough horses to bear them, and know where they go and where to return. And we shall take our own people, and lead them south to Meduseld to safety, joining with Éomer of Rohan to aid him in resisting this Bréawine who so makes himself a pestilence in these lands, and has impeded our journey by his predations."

Fastred told Brytta what Rúmil had said, while the Elves spoke quietly amongst themselves; at last they appeared to have come to agreement, for Eleardil said: "Yes, we concur; though had we steeds I should dearly have loved to go with them, to see them safely back."

"Aye!" said Tathardil, his face filled with pity. "How I am wrung within me, to think of them alone in this inhospitable place, with evil men all round them! How can we protect them in their sad deed when we are on foot?"

Fastred translated this, and Brytta rose to his feet, and bowed to Tathardil. "I am a poor man," he said; "but had I a horse of my own I should have loaned it to you, for you seem to me to be a man – an Elf, rather – of mercy."

Tathardil laughed after Fastred had told him what Brytta had said, and also rose and bowed low. "Please, O Fastred Faramirion, do you tell this good man that should his fortunes change and he be possessor of horses once again I shall hold him to that promise, for the steeds of Rohan I have heard are wondrous quick, and very intelligent; I should love dearly to ride upon one of his beasts."

Smiling to himself Fastred passed this on to Brytta, who looked very pleased by this; then Rúmil bid them be seated, and he said: "Very well; we shall take our peoples south, and after we have seen to the safety of our families shall we join with Éomer King to fight against Bréawine. And you, O Andunië, shall take your companions to seek the bodies of your lord and his servant, and perhaps as you are on horseback shall overtake us at your return, and we reunite upon the fields of Rohan."

"Thank you," said Andunië dryly. "That is what I was planning to do all along, but it is comforting to know you will not cause me any more undue trouble."

The Elves smiled at this, but Rúmil turned to Brytta and said: "Tell me, O Brytta of Rohan, to the best of your knowledge, where did Lord Legolas fall?"

Through Fastred Brytta told him: "The clearings by the north-east face of the great crevasse."

"Ah!" said Rúmil, and shook his head; then he withdrew from his tunic two scarred and twisted pieces of metal-girt leather. "We came upon these artifacts there during one of our forays for food," said Rúmil to Andunië, handing them to her. "Though we could not explore the clearing well, for there were men about, we did see many burned bodies, and the half-eaten carcass of a horse, picked at by carrion-fowl, and in the wreckage of a smoldering fire we found these. They seem to me to be part of light body-armor, engraved and strengthened with steel; there are traces of Elvish design upon them, which puzzled us quite; however your pathetic tale perhaps clears up the conundrum."

"Let me see," said Gimli eagerly holding out his hand, and he and Andunië studied the shards. "This is Legolas' greave," said Gimli, his voice breaking; with his thick hairy fingers he tremblingly caressed the twisted piece. "He has had these greaves for years; his father gave them to him. He would wear them when riding … " He let his head drop to his chest and began to weep, and Brytta put his hand upon Gimli's shoulder. Bandobras took the greave from Gimli; it was heavy in his small hands. He too studied it, his face full of regret; then he looked up and said, his brown eyes full of tears: "Yes … This is my Master's – I recognize the oak-leaf pattern." He traced it with his fingers, shaking his head sadly. "I wonder how many times I polished this," he said, then his voice wobbled and broke, and he buried his face in his hands.

Andunië was turning the smaller piece of leather over in her hands. "And this vambrace belonged to Lirlindil," she said thoughtfully, running her fingers round the pattern at the edges. "I well remember Hwindiö making them for him – do you see the love-poem inscribed along the wrist-strap? Lirlindil was beloved of Hildwen, and these were a gift from her commissioned through her brother to her husband."

Fastred was glad that Gimli and Bandobras had spoken in Westron; to see the notched and blackened greave in the Hobbit's hands was too much for him, and he was certain he would not have been able to translate. Tamin's arm tightened round his shoulder, and feeling the lump rising in his throat again he covered his face. He had seen his Lord Lassah wear those greaves many times; in fact he could remember the feel of them beneath his fingers, standing by Piukka's side, waiting for Lassah to lift him up onto his destrier's back so they might go riding together. "Pick me up; pick me up!" he would cry, tugging on Lassah's leg; Lassah would laugh, and reach down to him, swinging him upon Piukka's back before him, and they would ride off together into Lassah's demesne, to see the vineyards and olive groves, to dawdle alongside waterfalls and groves, to sing together beneath the oaks and lindens and pines, their voices echoing off rock faces, their laughter stirring up flocks of starlings from their roosts. He felt Tamin embrace him, and let drop his hands; Brytta was looking at him then, and upon his face a look of pained regret.

"I should have died with him," said Brytta; to Fastred's surprise he saw tears shining in the man's eyes. "I should have stood by his side and been cut down too. I do not deserve to live; I do not deserve the burden of life given me through his death."

"Spare us your bitter and self-pitying accolades," said Andunië, her eyes flickering dangerously. "My lord had every right to give his life for you, and if he thought you worth saving then you are worth much indeed." Brytta stared at her in surprise, but she turned from him, and taking the greave from Bandobras gave the two scraps of leather to Rúmil. He took them with a sigh and put them back in his tunic.

"I will bring these to Meivel then, so he will know we have foregathered with you," he said. "And when we have safely ensconced our families behind the walls of Meduseld we will join him in his muster, so that the traitor shall be overthrown. I regret however that you shall be caught in the midst of it, for even if you find aught to bury you shall be running with Bréawine at your heels."

"We will risk it," said Andunië rising, and the other Elves rose as well; Brytta too jumped to his feet and stood by her side, though he towered over her like an ancient and hoary oak by a slim linden. "Now let my mortals rest; you go unto your families and remove them from their hiding-place, that they may be the safer at Meduseld, and I shall watch over these Little Ones, and continue on our quest on the morrow."

"Andunië Daughter of Aldeon, you bear your yoke well," said Rúmil approvingly. "Go with our blessings and best wishes, and may we meet again in happier times!" He turned to Fastred and kissed the boy upon the crown of his head. "Farewell, Fastred Faramirion of Ithilien and Rohan!" he said. "You are brave beyond your years, and wise for one so young. Follow in the steps of your noble parents, and let Andunië guide you; I do not fear for you, Little One." And smiling at Fastred he strode off, calling to his warriors to break camp and follow. The Elves began to drift into the trees after him, and Tamin took Fastred firmly by the hand.

"I would go with you, Fastred, if I only could!" he said regretfully. "How I hate to leave you like this! But my Naneth and the rest of the women and children are two days from here, and we have so far to go!"

"Dear Tamin!" said Fastred embracing his friend. "How I wish you could come with us! But it will be better for you to bring your Lady Mother to safety, and to see after those little ones; they are your care now, even as my friend's remains are mine. But perhaps we shall meet ere you gain Meduseld; we are on horseback after all, and you on foot."

"Perhaps!" said Tamin with a smile. "If I gain Meduseld before you, I shall tell the cooks to make me some pastries, that I might bring them to you. But my father and I are quite quick you know; and – " Tamin lowered his voice, and leant forward so only Fastred might hear him. "I know my sire's face; he does not wish to leave you unprotected for long. Watch for us then as you return; it would not surprise me if he left some stray warrior in wait for you!"

"That would be more comforting than pastries!" smiled Fastred. Then Tamin dried Fastred's tears with the hem of his cloak, and kissing him upon the forehead bid him good-bye. The last Fastred saw of his new friend was the flicker of his eyes as he glanced back through the trees; then the woods swallowed the Elves of Lórien, and they were alone once more.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List