Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Green Knight and the Heir of Meduseld  by Le Rouret

(A/N:  I apologize for the dearth of posting!  I have had to go back to work, and am finding it more difficult than before to have the time to write to my standards.  I haven't abandoned you – I will see this through, I promise!  -- Le Rouret)

 

 

Legolas' wrath upon hearing of the incident with Théalof was terrible to behold, and Fastred was struck dumb by the sight and sound of his beloved Lord Lassah far gone in storming fury.  Never had he seen that fair face bled of color, the laughing mouth raging, the pleasant voice turned harsh and filled with the promise of violence, long white hands clenched into trembling fists and sweet demeanor turned over upon itself so that all within hearing range  – "they can probably hear him all the way up in Cair Andros; good gracious!" exclaimed Bandobras, his fingers in his ears – flinched back, Elves and Men alike.  At first Legolas proposed to go to horse himself and pursue Théalof, bringing upon his mortal head vengeance so complete as to be the end of the man of Rohan, his lackeys and steeds alike; when Meivel with great diffidence suggested unto his lord that course of action might prove imprudent, Legolas then commanded his Captain to assemble a group of stout warriors to go after Théalof and bring him back, in pieces if need be; at that point did Cirien clear his throat, bringing all eyes in the assembly upon him, and when Legolas had demanded, "Well, what?" Cirien had demurely said such an act would quite likely result in a serious skirmish, and might be seen by their mortal neighbors to be a direct provocation upon Rohan by Dol Galenehtar.  Seething with reluctant agreement, Legolas changed his tactic; Meivel was then ordered to send out his best and most canny scouts to follow Théalof to Osgiliath, Sólormoïle was told to depart with full guard bearing a message to Fastred's Lord Father and Lady Mother detailing the offense, and also a letter unto Fastred's royal uncle, to be delivered as quickly and secretly as possible, and Legolas was just calling Hirilcúllas up for dictation of a letter to be delivered to the Silver Knight in Celos, begging his aid in overturning Théalof's machinations in the South and warning all the lords about the banks of the delta to beware of the ambassador of Rohan, when Cirien, who had remained quite calm through this second tirade, cleared his throat once more and suggested to the Lord of Dol Galenehtar that such direct dealings would be premature, for until Legolas could prove to the lords of southern Gondor that Théalof acted against his sovereign's orders they might assume Rohan itself had conspired against the Steward of Gondor.  "And that, O Green Knight my friend, would surely be far more disastrous than your first impulse – bold and honorable though it was – to pursue Théalof forthwith and acquire from his shoulders his head so that you might convey it with full escort to Osgiliath, presenting it unto Lady Éowyn as her right and noble Champion; agreeable as that task might appear I am certain both actions would result rather in further obfuscation than solution, and I beg you to wait until your wrath, though justified, has subsided ere you embark upon so foolhardy a mission."   And while the remainder of the court that had not been harried from the Hall stood about eyeing their lord with deepest caution, Legolas ground his teeth in impotent rage, bright eyes flashing and fists working, standing trembling with suppressed fury before his throne.  And Fastred was not certain, for he was far too frightened of Lord Lassah at that moment to think altogether clearly, but he thought he could feel a growling oppression emanating from the Elf, a dark and dangerous anger flowing down the dais and roiling and rumbling about their feet, filling up the corners and creeping out the doors; even the torches seemed to flicker and fail.  The boy covered his eyes with his hands, his breath growing short in his throat; he could feel it flooding the Hall, filling up the air and choking out his breath; it seemed then to flow over his head like a wave, and it was heavy, pressing him down – deep ancient wrath, a black cloud flickering with lightning.  Then with an impatient exclamation Legolas stamped his foot once, the heel of his boot striking the paver beneath like a hammer upon a stone; it made a loud crack! and the cloud seemed to dissolve, so that Fastred wondered if he had but imagined it.  He looked back up at Lord Lassah, cold and shaking; the Elf was regarding Cirien with irritation and affection mingled, and a slow flush was creeping its way up his ivory cheeks.

"So that is your counsel, Cirien the Wise?" demanded Legolas, his eyes glittering silver in the lamplight.  "To let him go?  To let him believe me ignorant of his perfidy?  To allow your brother knights to be further confounded by this serpent? To continue to let him lisp his lies abroad, to my friends and yours, to Faramir and Éowyn, to Éomer?  To sit back and do nothing?Crack, crack!  Legolas' boot struck the pavers twice more, and his voice rang out in the Hall, echoing off the shining floor, disbelieving and indignant.  Bandobras opened his mouth to speak, appeared to think better of it, closed it again, and heaved a great sigh, ruffling his brown curls with his hands and shaking his head.  Meivel also glared at Cirien, for his blood was up, and he was eager to pursue and chastise the fiend for the infraction so boldly perpetrated within the halls he had sworn to protect; indeed he had been chagrined when his lord had changed his mind and decided to fight with the written word and not his sword, and harbored secret hope Legolas' temper would flare once more, and he be allowed to bring Théalof back to Dol Galenehtar for right and proper punishment.  All the Elves stood round, watching their lord apprehensively, and glancing from time to time at Fastred, who, being the subject of the current debate, had been placed prominently in the center of the floor before the dais, and stood awkward and anxious, shifting from one foot to the other, clutching still in his hand his star chart, and heartily wishing he could sink into the floor, away from the contemplation of the assembly.  After a long moment aged Cirien spoke, his voice as always composed and quiet.

"Well yes, O my friend, that is my counsel; I do beg your indulgence in this, for I know that contrary to courtly decorum have I twice spoken out of turn, not being asked for my mind, and also that I give advice unwelcome to your high spirit and quick nature."  He put his thin hands behind his back and cocked his head up at the figure standing seething upon the dais, and smiled; in his lined face was an expression of tender affection.  "I love you well, Legolas Thranduilion, but well do I know you also; you are long-suffering in many ways, especially concerning your own person and position, but when the helpless are harassed does a flame burn within you, and you stop at naught to pursue justice and vengeance, betimes assuming in your wrath the strength and might of many men, thus destroying utterly and laying waste, leaving nothing for those who might follow you attempting to garner knowledge of the perpetrators of the vile acts."  To Fastred's confusion Cirien glanced pointedly at the Halfling Bandobras then, who looked a trifle foolish and was intently studying his own toes; the Green Knight seeing this groaned and blushed bright pink; he turned, seeking his throne, and dropped upon it wearily, resting his forehead in his hands.

"You have made your point, I think, O my friend," he said, his voice rich with chagrin; he even smiled a little.  "Yes, of course, you are right; when motives are uncertain it is best to not slay every single enemy in sight – " Meivel looked to protest, but Legolas stayed him with a wave of his hand.  "No, dear child, not even in the interests of justice.  The Yellow Knight is right – again – is he not always right, Little Ones?  Until we know what Théalof wants it were prudent to let him run a bit; we have hooked him, and it will do little harm to allow him to think he has got free of us."

"But your highness, still he might affect some mischief in this freedom," said Meivel stubbornly, his jaw set.  "We know not his motives behind this, nor how many men he might have at his disposal, nor what armaments he might have accrued; how can we be certain he will not repeat this endeavor, when there is more chance of success?  Foolish though this Man may have been, had his goal been assassination and not abduction he might have succeeded despite my sister's intervention."

"And would have rightly had his throat torn out by way of retribution," smiled Legolas, looking into the shadows to his huntsmistress, who stood quietly with her dogs, her arms folded, her face serene.  "That would have been the way of it, would it not, Andunië?  I cannot deem what Théalof was thinking, that he could succeed in such a thing."  He turned to Fastred then, and his face softened.  "Fastred, Fastred!  Had he achieved his goal, whether it were to abscond with you, or to slay you, know you well I should not have rested ere his head graced the walls of your city!"

"I know, Lord Lassah," said Fastred, deeply embarrassed; he felt quite foolish, and wondered what the assembly thought of him, that he had been taken so unawares, and was in need of such protection.  He did not feel much like the son of a Prince, nor the son of a Shieldmaiden, and hotly resented the Elves' pity.

"Well he did not succeed," said Legolas firmly, holding out his arms.  "Come sit with me, Little One!  There is no need to stand so awkwardly before the dais – you are not on trial here, you know.  I am sorry; I was angry, though not at you.  From what Andunië says you handled yourself quite well – " Legolas turned to Andunië and laughed ruefully.  "Though he is too nice-minded to catch an insult right away, he is to be commended for his reaction, is he not, my child?"

There was some laughter at this, and Fastred blushed; he sat upon Legolas' right and wished he could go instead to his rooms, for he did not like to be looked at so, like a small and weak boy who could not even watch out for himself much less an Elven lady; however Andunië called over the court in her cool clear voice:  "Highly commended.  And he is good with dogs, you know."

Bandobras gave a surprised snort of laughter, quickly disguised as a cough when Andunië turned her green eyes upon him; he shuffled his feet upon the pavers and piped, "Well he's gone, Master, and the halls are shed of him; seems Araval was right and you oughtn't to've let him in at all.  But I don't know as you ought to just let him up and go – seems he's got a mort of mischief he might stir up, you know."

"Even so," said Legolas.  "What say you to that, O Yellow Knight?"

"I say," said Cirien, "give him his head, and he shall noose himself."

"He has had head aplenty, and shows no sign of being noosed yet," said Meivel disapprovingly, but Legolas appeared to consider this and said:

"Aye, it as you say … he must know by now I suspect him deeply, else he is a great fool, and he does not seem to me to be that bold.  Ever has he slipped and smiled and insinuated and this last brazen effrontery is far unlike him; methinks his plot has stumbled a bit and he felt need to hasten his strategy.  And if that is the case, what intrigues burgeon in Rohan?  For it is clear, O Yellow Knight, Théalof has some idea in mind for our Little One here, and I doubt me very much it is philanthropy guides him."

"I am one with you in this," said Cirien gravely.  "Something of import has occurred, or shall occur forthwith, in King Éomer's land, and this has forced Théalof's hand, though what it could be I am unsure.  Seeks he to hold Fastred hostage, or to slay him?  Either would throw the surrounding lands into confusion; for had Théalof slain Fastred blame should have been shed upon you and your people, and relations betwixt your house and his strained, and had he abducted Fastred he could have done with him as he would – held him for ransom, or sent him away, or killed him at leisure in some out-of-the-way spot."

"Perhaps; I shall inquire of him when next we meet, which I hope shall involve his groveling at sword-point," said Legolas with a small smile.  He sighed and looked at Fastred, who sat silent as he had naught to say; he had learned that trick from Karakse.  "Well my Fastred," said Legolas, his gray eyes serious, "what think you of this?  Something is happening in Rohan; that we suspect, and I fear it is not good.  Your uncle the king is in danger, and so are you, O my child, for you figure not only as Éomer's heir but are entrenched somehow in the plot of one of your uncle's enemies.  To go to Rohan will be perilous; to stay here restrictive, for you are menaced, and it is no longer safe for you to go about as you had before, riding and hunting and fishing and wandering; even in Osgiliath and Minas Tirith shall the shadow of this man haunt you, for he is not yet discovered as a traitor and is given full rein in Gondor.  Even when we tell your noble parents what has occurred, it is unlikely they shall be able to do aught but confine and guard you as shall we.  We have come to a crossroads and a decision must needs be made.  You are, I think, of an age that your thoughts in this ought be taken into consideration.  What is it that you think you should do?"

Fastred stared at Legolas a moment; did his friend mean to let him decide his own future?  In an instant Fastred's heart leaped – he could go home – he could rejoin his family!  Legolas had implied the choice were his – and that his odds were as bad in Dol Galenehtar as anywhere else – he might as well go back to Osgiliath – he could live with his mother and father again – surely they would not send him to Rohan, as it was so perilous – he would be surrounded by guards – perhaps even at playtime – and his brother and sister too, they would have to be guarded, for if Fastred were around them they would be in danger too …

It was like the slap of someone's hand upon his cheek; no, he could not go home.  He could not put his brother and sister into such peril.  And besides to be at home and not be allowed to go out, not even with Halgond, well, that would be no fun at all, and rather useless beside; what good would he be his uncle, if he stayed in Osgiliath?  He could of course stay in Dol Galenehtar – now that Meivel and the others were alerted to Théalof's plots he would be safe enough here.  But again … to what end would he come, and what would his uncle do?  He had no heir, and if this Théalof managed somehow to slay Éomer then Rohan would be kingless.  Fastred made up his mind then.  He was afraid, but the fear did not seem to matter to him; he would do what he had to despite his fears, for he was no weak boy after all; he was the Prince of Osgiliath and of Rohan and he could no longer hide in the nursery like a small child.  He took a deep breath, straightened his shoulders, and spoke not only to Legolas who sat beside him but to the entire assembly.

"I will go to Rohan," he said, his voice sounding very small and unsure; but it did not matter much then, for he turned to Lassah, and saw upon that fair face a look of pride, which comforted him, for Fastred then knew then that though he went to Rohan he would not go alone.

*****

They stopped for three days in Osgiliath, where Fastred's reception was joyous yet restrained; the people knew he went on to his inheritance and mourned the loss of one of their small princes, though their pride in his public elevation was apparent.  The folk on the eastern side of the city ran beside the great horses of the Elves of Dol Galenehtar, cheering and waving and calling out their felicitations; Fastred was delighted to see his old friend Beraen there too, no longer dirty nor thin; Legolas had as he had promised broached her plight to Faramir and she and her family were now well-cared-for, as her mother had been taken on in the sculleries of the house of the Lord and Lady of Ithilien.  Indeed Beraen as she ran beside Karakse did wave and smile, and Fastred smiled back; Beraen cried as he rode off: "Blessings on you, Prince of Rohan!  Go with strength to your next great task!"  Fastred had blushed then, but when he glanced over at Bandobras and saw his look of approbation, decided munificence rewarded not only the recipient but the giver as well.

His welcome at home was no less rousing; Hísimë had especially robed and gowned not only herself for the reception, but poor Théodred as well, who fidgeted and fussed in his fancy yellow doublet.  Their Lady Mother was there of course, flanked by her men-at-arms, clad in a gown of splendid blue with a pale circlet about her golden hair.  And though Fastred when they embraced repeated over and over to himself – "I am a prince – I am near grown-up – see all the people watching – this is a solemn occasion – ", he had to blink hard to keep the stinging tears away, and his voice when he greeted his Lady Mother wobbled a bit despite his fierce determination to keep it even. 

It was lovely to leave Lord Lassah and Lord Cirien and his Lady Mother in the solar over a carafe of wine, and run into the old nursery to be with his brother and sister, though Fastred discovered to his dismay that he had grown so tall he no longer fit into any of his old clothes.  Later after dinner, when he made this plaint to his Lady Mother, she but smiled and said:  "It is of no import, O my son; the tailors in Meduseld shall robe you more appropriately for your station."  Hísimë had looked envious, but Fastred was unhappy; he did not like doublets and robes and such, and preferred to dress more plainly; he glanced at Legolas then, who he knew also disliked the grand vestments he was obliged to don betimes, and they shared a private jest in silence, rolling their eyes, and tugging at their collars, which always felt tight and stiff no matter how loosely they affixed the buttons.  After dinner Legolas went back into the nursery with the children and Lady Éowyn, and let Hísimë brush his hair, and played hide-and-seek with the boys.  Théodred was happy to see Legolas again, though he made no secret of his indignation toward the Elf Lord, for not only had Lord Lassah let Fastred live with him all this time, Lord Lassah was taking his Fastred away from him again.  "It is not fair," Théodred said, stamping one small foot and scowling.  "You had him for days and days and days, Lord Lassah, and we have him only for three."  And he held up three fingers to Legolas, though he had to hold his thumb and small finger down with his other hand.

"Hush, hush, Théodred!" Hísimë said soothingly, giving Legolas an apologetic look.  "We have Fastred for three days, yes, and then Lord Lassah shall come back and we shall go to stay with him."

Théodred appeared to consider this favorably.  "To play with the dogs too?" he asked hopefully, some of the mulishness on his face fading.  "And the birds and the horses?"

Legolas only sighed, and let Théodred climb into his arms; he held the child whilst the boy clambered over his lap, playing with the buttons of his doublet.  "Andunië will never forgive me," Legolas said, giving the Lady of Ithilien a plaintive look, and Éowyn laughed; though Fastred noted when his Lady Mother watched Lord Lassah play with her children, her face acquired a pained look, as though Lassah were hurting himself somehow, and by proxy hurting her too.

Fastred's pleasure at being home faded quickly the following days, when he realized anew how restricted his movements were become, because of the man of Rohan who had endeavored to do him ill; he and Halgond could not go out on the boat but Halgond was constrained to come to him instead, and they discovered it was not nearly so much fun to wander about the citadel than to boat and fish and swim, and excellent playmates though Hísimë and Théodred were, when Halgond came calling Fastred did not care to be about them, for Théodred did naught but tag along after them and ask, "What shall we do now?  Where are you going?  What are you talking about?  I want to come too!" and Hísimë – well, that puzzled Fastred some; though she haunted their steps she would not speak to Halgond, and if he chanced to make some comment to her, she but blushed and giggled.  It was very irritating.

His last night there he lay awake for some time, listening to his brother and sister breathe beside him; the moon shone in through the open window, blurring and flickering with the movement of the curtains in the warm breeze, and the room was full of blue-gray shadows and milky light, and smelt of orris-root, and the bread-and-milk they had eaten ere bidding their Lady Mother good-night.  He was sad, for he was leaving the following morning, on a way that perchance might bring danger and hardship; however deep in his heart he felt a thrill of pleasure that he was now grown-up enough to be a proper prince, and travel in the company of the Lord of Dol Galenehtar and his retainers on the journey.  He might not be happy about inheriting the throne of Rohan, but at least he was resigned to it, and could look upon it with some degree of anticipation.  "At least Uncle Éomer's courts are not very formal," he thought to himself, and thinking of plain tunics and comfortable flannel trousers he fell asleep.

The fourth morning the Elves of Dol Galenehtar set out from Osgiliath by the West Bridge, which spanned the western half of the Anduin in a graceful white arch, springing from the ancient stones of the old city and resting upon the green sward of the bank, where it was flanked with tall graceful birches girt about with holly.  The bridge was lined with the denizens of the city in their bright clothing, like jewels set upon a circlet, and the people waved the white flag of the Stewards, and the silver tree of Gondor, and the green pennant of Dol Galenehtar and cried:  "Fastred for Rohan!  The Prince of Osgiliath goes to Éomer King!"  All the Elves were on horseback, their mighty destriers clad in but cloth trappers and braided manes, for they rode as always without tack; Cirien Lord of Langstrand was there, stately in his yellow doublet, and Fastred upon his Karakse, and of course the esquire Bandobras on the little hill-pony that had been a gift from Glóin of the Lonely Mountain.  Lady Éowyn rode proudly at the head of the vanguard beside the Green Knight, forswearing her tears of the night before; she and Fastred had said their good-byes in private, far from the eyes of any others.  But Bandobras, where he rode bearing the standard of Dol Galenehtar behind his Master, watched the Lady of Osgiliath with pity, for he knew better than Fastred how a mother's heart longs for a son dwelling far off, and his own poor mother's farewells rang still in his ears.

When they reached the Rammas Echor they met there Faramir, who had come down to the Causeway Forts from Minas Tirith where he ruled in the King's stead; he was accompanied by his Privy Council and the black-clad guards of the Citadel, and wore white, and held his Steward's staff.  He and his son embraced, and the Steward spoke at length to the young prince, giving to him what words of comfort and courage he might impart.  Fastred had dreaded meeting his Lord Father for he had feared censure for his prior actions, or worse maudlin reminiscings; however to his relief and pleasure his father wept not nor reproached, but instead declared himself satisfied with his son's choice, and confident in his abilities to overcome the obstacles before him.  Together father and mother commended their friend the Prince of Eryn Lasgalen, praising his wisdom and thanking him for his hospitality; and afterward both the Prince of Ithilien and the Green Knight shared a stirrup cup, and swore friendship to each other anew, observed by all the citizenry of Osgiliath, and by the company out of Minas Tirith, who cheered and waved their pennants; this formality had been suggested by Cirien the Wise, who desirous of good relations betwixt Mortal and Immortal proposed a public reaffirmation of good-will, in order that Théalof would at least in that area be thwarted.  So after this ceremony, attended by nobility, gentry, and peasantry alike, had been properly observed the company got on their way, leaving the crowds behind.  Fastred turned a few times, seeing how his noble parents got smaller and smaller until at last the gleaming brooch upon his mother's breast no longer caught the sun's light to throw it back; then they descended into a fold in the earth, and his parents disappeared from sight altogether.

They rode in silence for a while, the only sounds the whisk of the wind through the tall brown grass, or the whistle of a bird hid amongst the thatches, or the stray clear song of one of their retainers.  The horses crunched and clattered their way down the Great West Road, flicking flies from their ears and swishing their tails upon their broad muscular flanks.  Karakse seemed content; he was riding beside his sire, the black destrier that bore Lord Legolas, and was in company with his most favored companion, the Halfling's pony Bumblebee, who though less than half his size more than rivaled the piebald gelding in cheek and hubris.  Betimes Fastred spoke to his horse, and patted his neck, reassuring him he would love his new home – "There is much grass there, Karakse, and O so many more horses, I am certain you shall find it much to your liking" – when Lord Lassah turned to him with a smile and said:

"Well, my Fastred!  Now we are on our way; now is our great adventure beginning!"  And he laughed, a lighthearted, jolly sound, one that Fastred had not heard from him in many months.  He regarded Lord Lassah with wonder, for the Elf's countenance was bright and cheerful, and his carriage upon his great dark horse springy and relaxed.  "We shall if we tarry not be in Amon Din by nightfall," Legolas continued confidently.  "Then shall we stay some nights there with my good friend Aldamir, the Red Knight – Ah, my Lord of Langstrand!  Shall it not be pleasant for you and I to foregather with him?  A pity it is Araval returned to his home; he should have taken much pleasure in such a jaunt as this."

The Yellow Knight regarded his friend with fond indulgence.  "So he should," he said dryly; "Aldamir is known for the bounty of his table, and the strength of his wine after all."  As Legolas laughed Fastred piped up:

"Lord Lassah – I mean, Legolas – " he had glanced back then and espied Andunië where she rode upon her bay Yavieba; the mare did not seem to mind his slip but Andunië had given him a warning look from beneath lowered brow.  Legolas smiled kindly at him and Fastred asked, "Why are you so happy?  We are leaving your land and bring but a remnant of your folk with you; we ride into danger, and my uncle your friend is in trouble; I have almost been kidnapped or slain and still a pall of trouble hangs over us.  Yet you laugh and speak as though we had naught but feasts and parties and hunts to come!  There is danger ahead; you said so, you know, and we shall be riding for some days, and staying in places that are not our homes.  Yet you seem to me to be acting as though it were the time of festivals."

"Ah!" laughed Legolas.  He turned his fair face to the sky, where the larks wheeled and cried, and the white clouds hurried across the blue dome to their roost in the northern downs.  His pale hair flew about his head like tossed flax, and his eyes shone.  "Behind me are home and bed and table to be sure," he said, glancing down at his esquire, who beamed up at him.  "But behind also are desk and pen, parchment and chart, obligation and engagement.  Ahead are dangers, that I know full well; what journey begins without the promise of some ferment?  But ahead also lie riding into the dusk, and sleeping beneath the stars, and listening to the beat of the hoof upon the tussock – freedom, my Fastred," he said, with satisfaction.  He stretched his long arms above his head and flexed his hands.  "These fingers have caressed the quill far too long," he said; his voice was thick with pleasure.  "But for now, the bow, the sword, the trencher – "  Cirien chuckled, and Bandobras laughed aloud.  "Yes, my children!" declared Legolas, laughing again.  "Begone dull duty!  This is the blessing of the nobly-born, Little Ones!"  And so speaking he urged Piukka into a canter, and together the company thundered up the slope to the crest of the hill where they looked down upon the yellow fields of Anduin Valley, and thence westward to Amon Din.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List