Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

All Those Who Wander  by daw the minstrel

The Troop Commander and the King—A Missing Scene

A birthday scene for Gwynhyffar

This scene grows out of the discussion between Ithilden and Maltanaur in the last chapter.  It's also referenced in Chapter 5 of "The Novice."

Thanks to Nilmandra for beta reading.

*******

Ithilden pulled himself erect.  This is your decision, he reminded himself.  You have been Troop Commander for years, and the fact that Eilian is now in the mix changes nothing.  In the dining room down the hall, a servant laughed.  Ithilden grimaced, then knocked too hard on the unyielding oak, stinging his knuckles.

"Come."  His father's deep voice sounded muffled, and when Ithilden entered, he found Thranduil with his back to the door and his gaze on the map tacked to the wall.  Scattered red-topped pins marked encounters with orcs, mercifully far to the south of the stronghold.  Thin streams of black ones showed where spiders had appeared in the last week.  Ithilden grimaced at the one within half a league of where they now stood.

Thranduil glanced over his shoulder, then turned back to the map.  "What word from Deler?"

"He says he is sure the Home Guard has destroyed all the spiders from that colony."

Thranduil grunted.  "And did he say how they came so close without being detected in the first place?"

"No, my lord, but he is increasing the patrols to lessen the chances of it happening again."

Thranduil dropped into the chair behind his desk.  He gestured permission for Ithilden to sit too, but Ithilden stayed on his feet.  Thranduil raised an eyebrow.  "You have something more?"

"Yes, my lord."  Ithilden drew a deep breath.  "I have decided to transfer Eilian."

Thranduil's jaw tightened.  "I should think so.  Just what was his role in this?"

Ithilden hesitated.  "When he saw them, he was off duty, but of course, he reported them at once and joined in the effort to drive them out.  Deler said nothing about his performance in the fight, so I assume he did well."

"That is not what I mean, and you know it.  He was evasive when he talked about finding them. What happened?"

"He was off duty, my lord, so his actions are not my concern as Troop Commander."

"But you know what they are?"

"I do.  Deler reported them because he evidently felt they reflected on Eilian's readiness as a warrior."

"You believe they do not?"

"I believe you are asking about them not because he is one of your warriors, but because he is your son."

Thranduil stiffened.  "Are you saying I am wrong to do so?"

Ithilden kept his voice even.  "No, my lord.  I am saying if you want to know what happened, you should ask Eilian."

Thranduil's eyes narrowed.  For a long moment, he contemplated Ithilden, his face impassive.  "Very well.  I will do just that.  What have you decided to do with him?"

"I am sure you agree the person who knows him best as a warrior is Maltanaur."  Ithilden waited until Thranduil gave a curt nod.  "He has made a recommendation, and I have decided to follow it."

"Stop beating about the bush, Ithilden.  What are you going to do?"

Ithilden's heart thumped, but he met his father's eyes steadily.  "Eilian will spend the next two months in intensive training with Maltanaur.  Then, if Maltanaur believes he is ready, the two of them will join the Southern Patrol."

Thranduil sat immobile, his lips slightly parted.  He bounded to his feet and lunged toward Ithilden, hands on the desk.  "Have you taken leave of your senses?" 

Ithilden held his ground, but could not help drawing his head back.  "No, my lord.  I do not believe I have."

Color rose up Thranduil's neck.  "What can you possibly be thinking?  Eilian has six months' experience as a warrior.  It is madness even to consider sending him south."

Ithilden grimaced at the echo of the words he himself had spoken when Maltanaur raised the suggestion.  There was no room for doubt now, though.  He had made up his mind, and if he wanted to prevail, he needed to hold firm.  "Maltanaur believes Eilian would do well, and I agree."

Thranduil swept his hand back toward the map.  "Look at that!  You see how the orcs multiply?  We are talking about your impulsive, thick-headed, only occasionally adult brother."

In the face of his father's fury, Ithilden hesitated then eased out a long breath.  If he backed down now, he would never be in control of his forces again.  "By the trust you have placed in me, the decision is mine to make, my lord, and I have made it."

Thranduil gave a short, incredulous laugh.  "Are you defying me?  I am your adar and your king."  He dropped back into his chair.

"You can overrule me, of course, my lord.  If you have lost confidence in me, I could step down as Troop Commander."

For a long moment, Ithilden braved the force of his father's keen eyes.  Thranduil shifted slightly, and Ithilden let his gaze fall to the desktop in time to glimpse the trembling of his father's left hand.  Thranduil stilled it, then clasped his hands and drew them out of sight into his lap.

Belatedly, Ithilden accepted his father's invitation to sit.  He leaned forward.  "Maltanaur says Eilian needs the challenge, Adar.  He promises to look after Eilian, knock him around a bit if he needs it, and bring him home if he refuses to listen to reason."

Thranduil looked down, then up.  His mouth twisted.  "The appalling part is that Eilian would be thrilled."

Ithilden snorted.  "True.  But he cannot go on as he is, Adar.  You know that."

Thranduil ran a hand over his face.  "Wait until I tell your naneth before you speak to Eilian."  Now that he had accepted the idea, he spoke briskly.  "Wait until I speak to him too.  I want to find out what he was doing last night when he stumbled on the spiders.  Then I intend to instill an acute fear of the Valar and more importantly of me before you send him anywhere."

"I had plans to do that do that too, and I think Maltanaur has similar intentions."

Thranduil leaned back in his chair, raised his eyes, to the ceiling, and smiled.  "Perhaps your naneth will want to have a word with him."

Ithilden laughed.  "That should shake him up a bit."  He rose.  "With your permission, I will tell Maltanaur though, and probably Deler.  They need to make plans."

Thranduil nodded.

At the door, Ithilden stopped and turned back.  "If I thought there was another way, I would take it."

"I know."  Thranduil nodded.  "No commander was ever more careful with his warriors.  I will point that out to your naneth, and she will undoubtedly tell me again how fortunate I am to have you."

Ithilden allowed himself a rare grin.  "When I was an elfling, you told me Naneth was always right."

Thranduil laughed and waved.  "Go."

Ithilden went on his way, elation at having won his way gradually fading to sober apprehension.  This was the only way he could see to save his brother from himself, but the Valar help him if Eilian came to harm.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List