Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

No Good Deed  by French Pony

11. Pawns And Kings

 

 

Aragorn stared at the scene before him, thinking feverishly to come up with a sufficient response that would not provoke an immediate murder. Unable to think of such a response, he settled for directness. He turned to the small man in black. "Release my wife and my daughter."

The man glared at him. "No. Lord Thano of Nurn does not take orders from the King of Gondor."

"Will Lord Thano of Nurn entertain the humblest of requests from the unworthy Calif of Harad?" Ghayur asked.

Nasir bared his teeth in an unpleasant smile. "Aptly put, Ghayur. You are indeed an unworthy Calif, if indeed a Calif you remain at the coming of the dawn."

"Ah." Ghayur smiled back. "That is the game, and the challenge. Very well, Nasir, I accept. We shall see who is Calif when the Sun sheds his beams across the sand."

"You forget that this sand is under Gondor's control," Aragorn put in sharply. "I refuse to play host to the internal quarrels of Harad. I demand the release of my wife and daughter, and then I will eject all of you from this land."

Nasir shook his head. "I think not, King Elessar," he said, with an elaborate bow. "The game is begun, and it may not be stopped. And the Lady, whose beauty causes the stars above to hide their faces for shame, is a most valuable piece in this game."

"The Queen of Gondor," Aragorn said through gritted teeth, "is not a piece in anyone’s game. She is herself, my beloved wife."

"She is also alive only at the sufferance of good Thano," Nasir snapped back. "If you continue to speak so carelessly, a piece may be sacrificed for the good of the game."

Arwen shuddered, and her arms tightened around Ninniach. Ghayur frowned slightly and raised his hand. "We may debate the lady's value as pawn or Queen until the rising of the last sun," he said, "but we forget that the Jewel of the Evening is a woman, and one who has been much abused of late. Let us at least extend her the courtesy of a couch upon which she may rest with her infant. She will not run, I think." He indicated a low form covered with carpets and cushions.

There was silence for a moment as Nasir considered the proposal. Finally, he nodded. "She may sit, for now."

Thano prodded Arwen with the knife, and she moved to collapse upon the couch. As she did so, something jangled, and Aragorn realized that her ankles were shackled. He swallowed a surge of rage and forced himself to remain calm. Arwen settled herself on the couch, and Thano positioned the tip of his knife just behind her ear. Ninniach fussed, and the man threatening Ghayur flinched at the sound. Aragorn had a sudden idea, and he turned to Nasir, arranging his face into what he hoped was a reasonable expression.

"This is no place for a child," he said. "Let us remove my daughter from this game of yours. Let Lord Peredur take her back to my camp, and my men will look after her."

Nasir laughed. "It is wisely said that a fool sees himself in others, King Elessar. You believe that I am a fool not to see the value in the only child of the King of Gondor. The Rainbow will remain here with her mother until I deem the time ripe to separate them. And you are a fool as well to place such trust in the good will of your advisors. Many have done that who have not lived to see another dawn."

At that, Ghayur began to shake and made a strange wheezing sound. Then he opened his mouth and laughed out loud. "Your insults curve over many paths, Nasir," he gasped. "The more fool was I for having trusted in you."

"And the more fool was Maruf the Sea-Born for having placed trust in you, Ghayur the Poisoner!"

At that, Ghayur stopped laughing, and a thoughtful look came over his face. "Ah," he said. "So the heat of the midday sun burns through the mists of night. Maruf was indeed a fool, Nasir, but not for the reasons you claim. I, too, am a fool, for having believed that you would be grateful that I spared your miserable life. And you are the third fool, for staking that worthless life on a gesture that is doomed to fail."

"How is it doomed to fail, Ghayur? I have won the game. I have you at the point of Haytham's knife, and I have done what you could not do, for all your scheming. I have brought the great realm of Gondor to its knees. See, even now, I hold the jewels of King Elessar's family in the palm of my hand. That is more than you have ever accomplished."

At that, Aragorn began to raise Andúril, but Ghayur caught his attention. There was a steely glint in the Calif's eye that Aragorn had only ever seen once before. It had been the previous spring, when Ghayur had, for once, spoken with complete honesty about Harad's internal strife. Ghayur was now engaged in a battle of words and courtesies and would not tolerate any distraction that might lead him to make a fatal mistake. Slowly, he lowered Andúril and compromised by moving himself marginally closer to the couch where Arwen sat. Ghayur gave him a nearly imperceptible nod of thanks.

"Tell me, Nasir," he said. "What do you plan to do with your accomplishment? It must be grand indeed, for you have ruined our impending business arrangements to bring it about."

"Business arrangement!" Nasir snorted. "That is the difference between us, Ghayur of the Forked Tongue. You speak of business, of gold and trade. I speak of much loftier things, of love and power. I am not a cruel man, and I am willing to speak to what we both understand. I offer you a trade of love for power."

"Indeed." Ghayur nodded slowly. "What, precisely, do you have in your possession that I would want?"

Nasir straightened. "I have the Queen of Gondor. Arwen Undómiel, the Jewel of the Evening Sky. I know that you have desired her from the moment you laid eyes on her at the home of the Prince of Ithilien. I have her at my mercy now, and I will offer her to you freely. In return, you will give up that title of Calif of Harad, which you took by murder and force."

Aragorn could no longer hold his tongue. "That is an act of war," he snarled. "The armies of Gondor and Rohan stand ready to march against Harad if either of you lays one finger on the Queen."

Ghayur merely smiled at Nasir. "I see that this is a dangerous offer to accept. Have you aught else to compel me to accept it in spite of the peril it represents?"

"That is my offer. If you refuse it, then your life is forfeit as well as your title."

Ghayur's gaze grew sharp once again. "And who would claim that title after me? You, Nasir? You have not the liver to perform the duties of Calif. You are fit only to serve greater men as Vizier."

"A position with its own degree of power, you must concede."

"Hmm. Yes. Especially when the Calif you serve is but a weak, sniveling boy. Is that not so, Haytham?" In a flurry of movement that neither Aragorn nor Nasir had anticipated, Ghayur seized Haytham by the wrist that held the knife to Ghayur's throat and swung him around so that Ghayur now held Haytham captive and gazed into the young man's suddenly frightened face.

Arwen took advantage of the confusion and jammed her elbow sharply into Thano's stomach. Thano gasped in pain, and Arwen leaped off the couch and into Aragorn's arms. Aragorn grabbed Ninniach and passed her to Peredur. "Go!" he cried, and Peredur sprinted away into the night with the baby.

Nasir whirled from one event to the other, unable to stop either one. Keeping one arm wrapped securely around Arwen, Aragorn raised Andúril level with Nasir's throat. Nasir did not move, but he did not drop his own sword, either.

Ghayur looked closely at Haytham, then shook his head sadly. "Again, the more fool am I for my mercy," he said. "I allowed you to live because of your youth, and see how I am repaid for my kindness."

"You murdered my father," Haytham spat. "You have no claim on my gratitude."

"His father?" Aragorn asked.

Ghayur nodded. "This pup is the son of Maruf the Sea-Born. His only son, and that by a concubine."

"But still my father's son," Haytham insisted. "The Califate was mine to inherit upon my father's death. You stole that from me as you stole my father. Lord Nasir -- "

"Lord Nasir promised to restore the Califate to you after he disposed of me, I suppose," Ghayur interrupted. "He would continue to advise you, because you are young and inexperienced. You would come to rely on him, and in time, Nasir would become the greatest Calif in history who never held the throne. Yet you truly believed him. I marvel at the idealism of the young."

Terrified, Haytham turned his head a little and tried to catch Nasir's eye. Nasir remained impassive and refused to meet Haytham's glance. Instead, he glared at Ghayur.

"Maruf was a true Calif," he said. "He understood the value of fighting for the pride and sovereignty of the land of his birth, of conquering all who dared oppose the glory of Harad."

"I presume," Ghayur drawled, "that we are speaking of the same Maruf who pledged himself to the service of Sauron of Mordor and saw his conquering army defeated on the fields of the Pelennor? At the hands, I might add, of our esteemed colleague who is now King Elessar of Gondor."

Nasir stiffened. "I have bettered Maruf's achievements. Today Gondor bows before Harad."

"You hold neither my wife nor my daughter hostage any more," Aragorn said. "The Lady Éowyn has returned to her husband, and your schemes are laid bare. Legolas of Ithilien has led troops against your vassals the People of Nurn, and I do not doubt that he will overrun them. Faramir writes that he and Éomer King stand ready to lead Gondor and Rohan against Harad at my command. Explain to me how it is that I bow before Harad."

Nasir stared at Aragorn, then turned to look at Ghayur. Ghayur smiled sweetly and pricked Haytham with his knife, causing a trickle of blood to run down Haytham's neck and eliciting a cry of pain and fear. Slowly, Nasir's hand opened, and his sword fell to the ground. Aragorn raised Andúril and advanced on Nasir. Nasir knelt before Ghayur.

"I resign," he said. "Truly, the game is yours." At last, he met Haytham's eyes. "I loved you as a son," he said softly. Haytham made no reply.

"A beautiful scene of filial devotion," Ghayur said. "But, alas, it cannot endure. To me, o my guards!"

Within a minute, two of Ghayur's soldiers entered the tent and bound Nasir. "He is Vizier no longer," Ghayur declared. He turned to Haytham. "Had you practiced the art of patience, you would have found that the sword is not the only route to power," he told the young man. "I am father to three beautiful daughters, any one of whom you might have had to wife. That chance is gone now, as though it had never existed. You will face my judgement along with Nasir. All that is left is to hope for my mercy." He nodded to the soldiers, and one of them moved to bind Haytham.

Thano, who had watched in disbelief as Nasir and Haytham were apprehended, gave a cry of rage and struggled to his feet. "The King of Gondor conquers once more with his Elvish magic!" he said, advancing on Aragorn. Aragorn swung around to face him, placing his body between Arwen and Thano.

"I do not wish to harm you," he began, but Thano spat at him.

"You have already harmed me!" he cried. "I am a free man, King of Gondor. You may conquer my land, but you will not make me a slave again. I will die a free man!"

With that, he reached out, grabbed the blade of Andúril, and thrust himself upon it. Arwen screamed, and Aragorn instinctively let go of Andúril's grip. The sword fell along with Thano. Aragorn pulled it free and knelt down by Thano's quivering body.

"I would not have enslaved you," he said. "Gondor does not keep slaves."

Thano said nothing, but turned his head away from Aragorn. He convulsed, and vomited up an enormous amount of blood. When it was over, he was dead. With a sigh, Aragorn drew his eyes closed. He wiped Andúril's blade clean on Thano's shirt and stood. "We will bury him here at Poros," he said. "It will be a simple burial, but he will retain his dignity."

Ghayur nodded. "By your leave, I would bury my minstrel here as well. We have not the supplies to preserve his body for the journey home."

"Agreed. What of Nasir and Haytham?"

"They are guilty of treason. I will take them back to Harad, and they will face judgement there. Will that suffice, or does Gondor wish more vengeance for the insults she has endured?"

Aragorn shook his head. "I have seen the results of Harad's justice," he said. "I cannot imagine that there will be enough left of Nasir and Haytham for Gondor to punish when Harad has finished with them. I wish to spend the rest of the night with my wife and my daughter, and we will speak further on this matter in the morning."

"That will suffice." Ghayur unclipped a ring of small keys from Haytham's belt, then motioned to the guards. They hauled Nasir and Haytham away. Ghayur rose to stand before Arwen. "My sincerest apologies for the hurts you have suffered, o Glory of the Evening," he said. Then he knelt at Arwen's feet and with his own hands unlocked the shackles around her ankles.

Aragorn nodded silent thanks to Ghayur. He lifted Arwen in his arms and carried her out of the tent. Peredur met them along with the master of the trade depot. "It is over," Aragorn said.

Peredur breathed a sigh of relief. "I have spoken with the master of the depot. There is a chamber prepared for you within. The Princess awaits you there." He escorted Aragorn and Arwen inside to a simple, clean guest chamber. A maid, possibly one of the kitchen staff, was just lighting the wall sconces. Ninniach lay fast asleep in a laundry basket lined with folded sheets and towels. The maid curtseyed deeply when the King and Queen arrived.

"Welcome, Lord. Welcome, Lady. I hope my Lord and my Lady will find everything to their liking. If aught is lacking, my Lord need but summon me. I have taken the liberty of removing the Princess's clothing to be washed, and I have pinned a clean dish towel on her, for we have no baby napkins here."

"That is wonderful," Arwen said. "I am sure she is happier for it. Thank you."

"Some of the girls are heating water now, if my Lord or my Lady would care to bathe," the maid went on. "And one who looked to be roughly my Lady's size, beg pardon, has donated a nightdress." She indicated a plain linen nightgown laid out on the bed.

"Thank you, mistress," Aragorn said. "I will not forget your kindness to us this night."

The maid curtseyed deeply and left the room. Aragorn set Arwen down on a low couch near the laundry basket. Arwen peered into the basket and gave a shaky smile. "Ninniach is asleep, as though nothing had happened," she said. "I have been holding her for several days now, and my arms feel empty."

"You are both safe now," Aragorn assured her. "When she wakes, I will bring her to you, and we will all be together."

More kitchen maids arrived bearing a tub, a pot of soft soap, and kettles of hot water. They filled the tub, curtseyed, and left the King and Queen alone once more. Arwen removed her filthy gown, and Aragorn helped her into the tub. Arwen took great handfuls of soap and began to scrub herself vigorously. Aragorn washed her back and her hair, and they did not stop until Arwen felt herself cleansed of Thano's touch and the horror of her captivity.

When Arwen finally declared herself clean, she dried herself and pulled on the nightgown the maid had left for her. Aragorn tore a dry linen washcloth into strips and bandaged her raw, bleeding ankles, then carried her to the bed. He extinguished the wall sconces and crawled in beside her, taking her in his arms. Arwen curled up against him and wept for a long time before sleep claimed her. Aragorn remained awake a while longer, wondering what to do about Ghayur.

 

 

He did nothing about Ghayur for the next morning and the early part of the afternoon, choosing instead to remain with Arwen and Ninniach. To Ghayur's credit, he left Aragorn alone for the entire morning, merely sending a page near noon to inquire politely as to how Arwen and Ninniach fared. When Aragorn looked out the window, he saw that the Haradric trade delegation was already beginning to break down their camp and pack their bags. Due to these small courtesies, Aragorn found himself in a moderately pleasant frame of mind when he finally met with Ghayur in the middle of the afternoon. They dispensed with the formal pleasantries quickly.

"I am sure you realize that I cannot continue with trade negotiations after the incidents of last night," Aragorn said.

Ghayur nodded. "The wise man does not engage in foolish mockery for form's sake. May I ask your thoughts concerning our current agreement?"

"I do not wish to alter it now. I certainly cannot in good conscience expand it, but neither do I wish to sever communication with Harad completely."

"You are generous and large of heart, King Elessar."

"I am not," Aragorn said. "If anything, I am far more suspicious of you and your country than I was before I traveled to Poros. I have learned that this trade depot is as good a source of news concerning the affairs of Harad as any. Therefore, I intend to keep it open. What goods we have traded before will continue to flow, as will news of the affairs of your court."

Ghayur smiled broadly. "Such a stream may flow both ways. I, too, shall learn of the intrigues in the Citadel."

"Now that you have mentioned it, I feel it only fair to warn you that I will increase my efforts to locate your spies," Aragorn countered. "I believe it was they who provided Nasir and Haytham with the information they needed to attack Minas Tirith, and I intend to dam that leak at its source."

"You will do as you will, King Elessar. As will I. So we return to the watchful days of old, gazing at each other from afar, as two lions over the body of an antelope. That is a shame. In other times, we might have been powerful allies."

Aragorn nodded. "That would be a mighty alliance indeed. However, in these times, I do not trust you, and I trust the members of your court even less. I will not allow Gondor to remain vulnerable so long as there is potential for a second Nasir to arise from the court of the Calif."

"Alas," Ghayur said, "but that is how it must be, it appears. For my part, I have enjoyed our conference, truncated though it was. You have a keen mind, and it is an honor to confront it. I am also honored to have encountered once again the radiant Jewel of the Evening and to have laid eyes upon Gondor's Rainbow. My offer of betrothal remains open."

Aragorn snorted. "We shall see about that. Should you find a fairer prospect for your son than my daughter, I would in no way consider it an insult."

"You are as polite as ever, though you cannot hide your dislike of me." Ghayur rose from his chair and bowed deeply. "Farewell, o Elfstone. I return now to my own land, to ponder in my heart that which I have seen and heard on my travels. I wish you safe passage to your own illustrious home." He turned on his heel and left Aragorn alone in the empty negotiating chamber.

 

 

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List