Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Shadow Realm  by Legolass

CHAPTER 5: THE CALL

The business of the next day all but drove out the feelings of apprehension from the hearts of the four companions who had been inexplicably assailed by them the night they arrived in Pelargir.

The visit to the Royal Bath put some distance between them and the town, and the little ones, who had boundless energy and needed constant supervision, kept them occupied.

Even Aragorn, who had not yet spoken to anyone about his restless night, found himself relishing the soothing warmth of the hot pool and peace of the sanctuary as much as Arwen did, and he exchanged pleasant stories with his brothers and friends.

Legolas and Hamille took quiet pride in having created this refuge for their friends. As they basked in the sunshine and color that blessed the haven, the misgivings of the night before were, for a while, suspended in the backs of their minds like a grey haze above a waiting land.

It was only upon their return to Pelargir later that evening that a sense of unease was once again kindled in the dwarf and the three elves, but only barely, for they were well rested by then, and the inn’s service of hot food and comforting drink made them only too willing to put off for a time their concern over a trouble that as yet had no definite base or form. It was not long before delicious reverie stole over all of them, and Gimli, in particular, slept as contentedly as a bear in winter.

The bliss of slumber, however, was not as easily accorded to Aragorn that night.

For a time, he struggled with the same restiveness that had assailed him the night before. He sensed or heard once again, like a whisper in his mind, something seeking him, reaching for him – and it was not kind.  But whether it was because the waters of the Royal Bath had truly contained some healing power, or because the haven was blessed with the spirit of the Firstborn that had created it, just as the land of Hollin had been, Aragorn felt a stream of tranquility flow through his being, so that he felt more at peace than he had the previous night. And as the stars wheeled slowly overhead with the passing of the hours, he found himself pleasantly exhausted enough to succumb to a light, but much-needed, slumber.

For tonight, he would heed no nightly murmurs. This night at least, he was not visited by dark dreams filled with muddled images he could not discern – dreams that had assailed his sleep for the past three weeks in the White City.

 -------------------------------------<<>>-------------------------------------

They were in the shadows and mists – the Sleepless Ones – and they did not rest. They were the Twice Forgotten, and they had come for the sake of the Twice Forgotten.

They moved without form, they felt without hearts, they spoke without voice.

Aaaaeeeaaaiii… Elessaaaaaar… He fights…

His spirit is too strong. He knows not what he fights, but he resists.

How then will he know? How do we call to him?

We wait. We have waited long enough.

Too long… too long…the others wait.

He will weaken. We will take him then.

  -------------------------------------<<>>-------------------------------------

The grey mist of the following dawn lifted with the warmth of the rising sun, and as the King’s company left Pelargir for the remainder of their journey to the Bay, it did much to revive the spirits of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli. It seemed like the further removed from the town they were, the easier they felt, and Legolas hoped that the same would hold true for Elladan and Elrohir who would be accompanying Arwen back to the White City.

Sailing down the final leagues of the Anduin, Aragorn felt somewhat refreshed from sleep he had been robbed of for too long. He would have liked nothing more than to forget all about the strangely unsettling nights he had had for the past weeks, and he debated over whether he should leave the matter alone and hope nothing worse would come of it. Yet, his heart urged, perhaps it was in this cheerful atmosphere that he should speak about it, when he was away from the misery of an unnatural wakefulness in dismal darkness.

It did not take him long to find and pull Legolas aside so that he could speak quietly with the elf about his troubles. The two friends sat a distance from the rest of the company and spoke in low tones hardly louder than the lazy lap of waves against the sides of the Star.

Legolas was, as Aragorn had expected, immediately concerned. “Someone calls to you?” he asked, scrutinizing the man’s face with a frown on his own.

“Someone… or something,” Aragorn replied. “I feel it reaching for me… Part of me says I should yield… yet another part of me senses a need for caution.”

Legolas was quiet for a moment before he asked again: “Is there a voice?”

“Yes… several… they sound unhappy and… well, urgent,” Aragorn struggled to describe what he heard in the few hours of sleep he was granted each night.  “But they are garbled and… muted. I cannot discern what they say.”

“What do you see?”

Aragorn exhaled a long breath. “Vague images through a mist… no shape, no form… it is hard to know,” replied the man. “There is sadness… and anger… and need… yet, I know not what they want of me.” He sighed. “And perhaps it is because I do not feel a readiness to listen.”

Legolas fell silent again, deep in thought, before he spoke again in a hushed whisper. “Do you feel their presence now?”

Aragorn lifted his face to the wind, feeling its caress and listening to the squeals of children and pieces of lazy conversation drifting over to them. “Nay, not here, not now… at least, not as strongly, though I must admit I do not feel completely at ease.”

Legolas nodded. “I could dismiss this as a physical ailment to be treated, Estel, but for the fact that you were not the only to be disturbed,” he said. “We did not hear the same call, but we too felt something amiss in Pelargir. It appears, however, to have lessened with each league from the town, as it seems to have for you as well.”

Aragorn’s brow furrowed instantly. “We?’

With some reluctance, the elf prince informed him about what he, Gimli and the twins from Imladris had experienced in Pelargir. “It has affected elves, our dwarf friend, and you. Yet, Hamille did not perceive what we did – and neither did Arwen…?” He looked at Aragorn inquiringly.

When Aragorn nodded confirmation, Legolas continued, “We have heard no complaints from the Hobbits, either, nor from Faramir or the rest of the company.”  The elf shook his head slightly. “This matter has baffled me since that night, Aragorn, and at this moment, I am no closer to an understanding of it.”

With a sigh, Aragorn rested his elbows on his knees and held his head in his hands. “Neither am I, Legolas, neither am I,” he said, exasperation clear in his voice. “And I know not why… they… whatever their nature… pursue some of you as well. If I am not alone in this, perhaps this is a bigger menace than I first thought.”

“Nay, Aragorn, I do not feel that they seek us… not as you describe them, for we are not troubled by dreams,” Legolas said. “We merely sense some… dread, perhaps of something foul. His voice filled with distress as he continued. “Since that night, my fear has not been for us, Aragorn; it has been for you. Ask me not why – it was my heart that spoke. I prayed it would not have foundation, but what you say has only strengthened my suspicion. Something pursues you, mellon nin, and I wish we knew what it was.”

Aragorn shook his head. “I only know that this disorder cannot continue. Last night offered a brief respite from it, but who can tell if sleeplessness and disturbing dreams in turn may be my nightly companions again soon. I have a country to rule, and I cannot allow this… this… as yet nameless nuisance… to trouble me!” He ran his hands through his hair and bowed his head even lower. “How do I battle a foe that I cannot identify? What path would it have me tread?”

Laden with the frustration of helplessness, the king felt a wave of wretchedness hit him and he released another sigh. After a moment, he felt a hand rest lightly on his back before it moved up, and then he felt the comforting arm of his friend around his shoulders.

“Whatever it is, Estel, we will face it together,” an elven voice said calmly in his ear. “You are not alone. Whatever path it would take you on – you will never be alone. I will walk it with you; all of us will. Be assured of that.”

The man said nothing, but a hand reached up to grasp the elven one, and Legolas felt some of the tenseness leave his friend. “If it assails you again on our return to Pelargir, we will look further into it,” he said reassuringly. “But meanwhile… perhaps it would be best to use this time away from your Court wisely: to ease your mind, body and spirit. The Bay is not far off, the Sun smiles on us, and already our hearts are lightened, are they not?”

Releasing another small sigh, Aragorn lifted his head and nodded to his friend, bringing a smile of relief to the elven face. They pondered the matter a little longer, but since neither could identify the source of the odd disturbances, they decided to set aside those concerns for the moment, for the winds were fair and the company good; these were blessings that did not come often enough, and they wished to savor them while they could. 

Shelving the disconcerting thoughts proved even easier during the two days in Dol Amroth that were filled with mirth and frolic. Prince Imrahil and his lovely wife of two years were good hosts, and the King’s company did not lack for entertainment.

No less happy was Eldarion, who, although he missed his mother and could not quite fathom why she and his uncles had to return to the City instead of sailing to the Bay with him, was happy enough to have the attention of his father now that he was away from the demands of the Court, and of Legolas, whom the child loved almost as much. And then there were the merry moments with the Dwarf Lord, whom he had come to address as Poppa Gimli after the fashion of Master Samwise’s children.

All in all, it was a very happy party that spent hours on the pristine beaches of the Bay.

On the second day, Aragorn left the children and their mothers – who were content to spend another day enjoying the soft, clean sand and sea water, which were seldom enough encountered – under the watchful eye of Faramir and his guards, while he and the other menfolk sailed a little way north along the shores of Middle Earth, drawn by the realisation that there was much more to see.

Elves, men and hobbits were equally fascinated, for most of them had never dreamt of even coming close to the Sea throughout their lives. At times, their breaths hitched in their throats and their shining eyes misted over at the beauty of all they saw and heard and smelt. The salt tang of the Sea teased their noses, awakening in them senses they had never thought existed. The cry of gulls and other sea-birds wove melodies into the wind, both soothing and invigorating, till the sea-farers felt they were gliding on wings of song. Sunbeams, brilliant white and yellow, reflected off ripples like millions of pieces of broken glass, dazzling their eyes as they watched the miles of shingled shores and sandy beaches pass slowly by. Little cottages and farms dotted some patches of land, and men in small fishing boats waved in return, even if they did not recognize the Standard of the King.

“Someday, Son, these lands will be under your protection as they are mine now,” Aragorn said to Eldarion – the only child to come with them on this trip – as they stood on the deck, the wind whipping through the dark hair of father and son. “You will need to make sure they continue to have the peace they have now.”

The young prince’s eyes widened as he turned to the King. “Protect them, Father?” the young prince asked in dismay. “How? I can’t even hold a long sword yet, and Legolas says I have to wait a few years to use the big bow –”

“Your father said some day, young one, not tomorrow,” Gimli said consolingly, walking up to them and glaring at Aragorn. “Really, Aragorn, don’t frighten the lad – it’s a long, long way yet!”

The King laughed at the fierce look on the face of the dwarf. “You are right, my friend,” he conceded, placing his arm around the young shoulders of his son. “It is a long, long way yet,” he said to the child, “I merely want you to note the beauty of the land in our realm and to grow up loving it as your own. And remember, Eldarion – might does not lie only in the sword and bow. It resides more so in wisdom and in the purity of intentions.”

The prince’s lips puckered as he folded his forearms on the edge of the ship’s wooden railing and rested his chin on them. “That’s what Legolas says too, at almost every archery lesson! Do you and he plan together what to say to me, Father?”

Aragorn and Gimli burst out laughing at that question.

“No, Son, we do not,” the King replied with a smile, “but we value many of the same things, and have no need to tell each other of them. What you hear from him, you may trust to be my thoughts, as well as those of your Naneth. And your Poppa Gimli here will have one or two lessons of his own as well.”

Eldarion sighed. “Too many lessons, Father,” he groaned. “I have to learn so many things growing up.”

“You’ll have plenty of time to do that, lad,” the Dwarf lord said, clapping the child’s shoulder. “No one is rushing you,” he added, glancing briefly at the King before returning reassuring eyes to Eldarion. “You’re still a child –”

“A young man!” Eldarion protested suddenly, raising his head. “Legolas said I was a young man when I showed him my new tooth!”

“Yes, Eldarion,” Aragorn agreed quickly. “You are a young man, and a fine one at that.”

“Of course, of course,” Gimli affirmed, spluttering. “I had forgotten you are now… ten?”

“Yes, almost,” the prince nodded proudly. “Not yet, but almost.”

“A whole ten years!” the dwarf exclaimed in feigned awe, stroking his beard. “My, my – you are a young man. Now, I’m sure this young man has as good an appetite as his Poppa Gimli. Shall we look for some food, Sir?”

Eldarion giggled at the term of address Gimli had used for him, well aware it was in jest, but his face did brighten at the mention of food. He jumped off the bench he had been kneeling on and straightened his shoulders, grinning the whole time. “That sounds like a fine idea, Master Poppa Gimli. Lead the way!”

Aragorn shook his head at the antics of dwarf and man child, and waved them off, smiling and feeling much more at ease than he had since Pelargir.

Pelargir. His face clouded a little at the reminder of what he and Legolas had spoken about.

But, no, he shook his head. There would be time enough to discuss it further on their return voyage to the City. They would have to spend a night in the town again… what would happen then? Well, they would soon find out, he thought.

In the meantime, he wished to speak with Legolas and Hamille about building another ship for trading purposes. He looked around the deck, but frowned when he saw no sign of either elf. His thoughts flew immediately to the turmoil that the two of them must be facing now.

He had felt the Sea-longing seize Legolas as soon as they reached the Bay, and Hamille, too, had soon – and inevitably – become enamored with the Deep. Indeed, that had been the only cloud in the whole sunlit atmosphere of their visit. Though the two Firstborn had said nothing and bravely tried to hide anything that might be amiss, everyone knew they were battling some emotion, but everyone had been powerless to do anything for them. There were moments when they departed from the party, and quietly spent time on their own. All knew why, and all discreetly avoided mentioning their disappearance when they rejoined the group. Gimli, concealing his love for his friend beneath his gruff exterior, did his best to ease their discomfort with his endless tales of mirth.

Aragorn felt a wave of compassion and warmth rush through him as he thought of Legolas.

I feel your struggle, mellon nin, as we each resist that which beckons to us, he said silently to his absent friend. Yet, I understand but a little of your plight, for we each face a different Call. On my part, I defy what I feel will bring me to an unpleasant circumstance, but you resist that which will bring you the fulfillment of a great desire – and thus is your tribulation the harder to bear.

Though his heart ached for the two elves, he knew that coming here was what Legolas wished. The more he watched his friend, the more he understood that the journey gave the elf prince satisfaction despite the toll it would take on his heart for a few days. He recalled an earlier conversation he had overheard between the elf prince and Hamille:

“I have no regrets over this journey, Hamille,” Legolas stated quietly to his kinsman, “I wish to taste and relish my life here on Arda – even with its bitterness – and that cannot be done by hiding behind closed doors and protective barriers.”

“Yet you disallowed us from coming with you,” Hamille pointed out in a gentle challenge.

The elf prince smiled wryly then. “I was speaking for myself; I have heard the Call and withstood its strong pull. Many others have not, and they sailed long before they were ready to leave Arda,” he explained. “You have not yet felt the Longing, and I would keep you from it if I could. Then you would not need to face the torment of making a choice.”

“Was it a hard choice for you, Bridhon nin?”

Legolas nodded. “Aye… but only briefly, and only in the beginning. And then there was no longer any conflict.”

“Tell me the source of your strength, then,” Hamille said, “and perhaps I can draw from it, too.”

Legolas turned to his friend and smiled. “Think of those in Arda you would not wish to part from yet. That will sustain you.”

“As it does you?”

The elf prince nodded firmly. “Always. When you next look upon Gimli, you will see one reason,” he said. “And when you next cast your eyes on the Lord Aragorn – behold not the Adan, but one whom I love beyond being, or life. When you next see him bowed with care, know that I am yoked to that same load. When next his smile greets you with ease, hear the laughter in my own heart. Throughout the remaining days of his life in Arda, his joy shall be my bliss. Feel our bond, Hamille, and you will know why the Sea – and Elvenhome – must wait, and why their Call is but a hushed whisper in my ears. If my company on this journey brings Aragorn the sweetness of contentment, it is a cup of bitterness I gladly drink.”

Aragorn inhaled a long breath at the recollection. Legolas had told him so much without even knowing it, and the King did not think he could find words to tell his elven friend how he loved him for it.  

Blinking away some moisture that had somehow found its way to the corner of his eye, he waved to the man who was steering the ship and told his guards he was going to seek the elves below deck, but the voices of the hobbits from the stern of the ship attracted him, and he walked over slowly to where they were.

The hobbits were enjoying this journey as much as he was, for their brief visit to the Havens at Frodo’s departure more than ten years ago had been too filled with melancholy to register much in their memories. This trip, therefore, was also the fulfillment of a dream for them.

“Just think, Merry, we are actually on the sea!” Pippin exclaimed, a grin splitting his face as he watched the water below. “Not just the Brandywine River or even the Anduin – but the Sea!” 

“Aye, and what a tale we will have to tell Fatty Bolger when we get back,” Merry agreed. “We will demand a basket of mushrooms for the tale of each day of our journey!” 

“Now, there’s a thought, eh, Sam?” Pippin asked, turning around to look at the hobbit sitting on one of the wooden benches behind him. Sam did not look quite as cheerful as the other two, not having quite overcome his distrust of boats, and still trying to get used to the slight rocking motion on the Star.

“The mushrooms are a welcome thought, yes, but being on the Sea is a different matter,” he lamented, “though I must say it is a novel experience, and I did choose to come on this trip myself. I couldn’t stand listening to you two brag about it otherwise.”

His two companions could not help laughing though they sympathized with his fear of water-bound vessels. “Cheer up, Sam,” Merry said comfortingly. “When Legolas built this ship, I’m sure he made it safe and steady as Hobbit feet on dry land; he would not let anything happen to Aragorn or to us.”

“Aye, and we must thank them both for this treat,” Pippin chimed in, looking around. “Speaking of them, where are they?” There was no sign of either Legolas or Hamille on the deck, but he caught sight of Aragorn strolling over. “Strider!” he called brightly. “Isn’t this grand?”

Aragorn beamed at them as he approached. “If you mean this voyage, my dear Pippin – then yes, it is grand,” he replied. “I’m glad you are enjoying it. Legolas knew you would.”

“We were just saying we should thank him for building this ship and you for inviting us,” Merry chimed in, “but he does not seem to be here. Is he below, do you think?”

Aragorn nodded. “I think he and Hamille may be feeling… uncomfortable,” he replied judiciously. “I was about to go below myself to see how they are.”

“Well, I shall join you in a while, Strider, if you don’t mind,” Sam announced, rubbing his nose and placing his hand on the small pack he always seemed to be carrying around. “I need to… well, I need to talk to Legolas myself.”

Aragorn raised his eyebrows in curiosity as he watched the hobbit hold the pack protectively. “By all means, Sam. We will await you below.”

With a small wave to the hobbits, he walked over to some steps and descended into the belly of the ship, throwing to the prevailing winds his thoughts of trading, of Pelargir, of sleepless nights and whatever was trying to reach him. Here was a friend confronting a different Call, who made no demands on him. And for that reason, no one more greatly deserved his time and company.

Whatever, whoever, was seeking him in Pelargir would have to wait.

  -----------------------------------------<<>>------------------------------------------

Aaaiiiieeeeeaaaaa...

We cannot find him… we cannot reach him…He is not here… he has gone with the waters.

But he has to know! He has to hear! The others wait…

He will know.

But he is not here, the waters have borne him away…

We will reach another…we will take another! Then he will still come to know. He will still hear our call.

Aye… and in the end, he will return. It will not be long now.

Aaaiiiieeeeeaaaaa… He will return.

  -----------------------------------------<<>>------------------------------------------ 

My deepest thanks to the faithful reviewers who keep me going. 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List