Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Small Tales  by White Wolf

Title: Sleep

Rating: PG

*~*~*~*

Legolas watched Aragorn, as the ranger used his knife to stir herbs in a cup of steaming water set over the campfire. He was preparing a sleeping draught.

The elf had sustained a deep wound from an orc blade earlier in the day. It was bound tightly, and no blood seeped through the bandage. “I do not need to be put to sleep.”

“Of course you don’t,” Aragorn replied. However, to the elf’s consternation, he continued to stir the herbs.

“I will be perfectly fine without being drugged,” Legolas protested.

“Of course you will,” came the unconvinced reply.

Aragorn took another cup and poured the hot liquid back and forth until he deemed it cool enough to drink. With cup in hand, he knelt beside Legolas and helped the archer to sit up, supporting him with his free arm. He put the cup to the elf‘s lips. “Drink.”

“Estel, I really do not need this.”

“You need sleep to heal properly.”

“I am fully capable of going to sleep on my own.”

Ignoring the comment, Aragorn said, “Drink”.

The man was being obstinate and unreasonable, and Legolas was getting exasperated. “It is foul. I do not like it.”

“The taste hasn’t changed in all the years you’ve been drinking it.”

“Precisely.”

“If you hate it so much then stop getting yourself injured. Now drink.” This time Aragorn tilted the cup, so Legolas either had to swallow the contents or have it spill all over him.

Half way through, the elf tuned his head and made a face. “It is awful.”

“All of it.”

“I will not forgive you for this.”

“I know.”

Five minutes later, Legolas was sound asleep, and Aragorn relaxed for the first time since his friend had been wounded. All Legolas needed now to recover was sleep.

The End





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List