Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Seasons  by Allee

“You have responsibilities, Legolas! There is more to life than having fun!” Father roared at me after having discovered that I had taken a moment to escape my duties in the armory to sit by the pond with friends.  Such duties nibbled away much of my time as the darkness began to encroach more upon our once-fair Wood.

“Yes, Father, I realize that there is more to life than having fun,” I mumbled in resignation.

I would have said more had I not believed that my words would only increase his anger.  In truth, I wished to tell him all that was in my heart, and as I headed back to the armory, I composed the speech that would never be uttered:

“I kill spiders; I hunt orcs; I do everything to try to please you, yet you accuse me of wanting nothing more than fun! Is nothing ever good enough for you? Can I never be good enough? And just what is so wrong with a bit of fun? Does it not occur to you that you are too serious? Perhaps you would do a better job of ruling this realm if you would learn to relax!”

But I could never have said those words to him. I can only imagine his response!

As I glanced at the large beech tree growing beside the pond, my eyes landed on a golden leaf beginning its fall. The beech had released its grip, and the leaf, caught in the breeze, hung for a moment as if deciding whether and how far to stray. It made up its mind and allowed itself to be carried across the pond and out of view.

Putting my head down against the strengthening wind, I quickened my pace and continued to the armory.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List