Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Bee Charmer  by Pipkin Sweetgrass

Chapter nine


Great Trials, Great Smials



“It won’t be long before we’re home,” Pippin said, “so why don’t we stop for luncheon now?”

They had come to the field of clover where Pippin had rested on the way to Buckland. It was a most agreeable place for a picnic, and Estella had filled a basket with fresh bread, cheese, strawberries and cold roast beef she had purchased from the innkeeper of the Oak and Acorn.

The sun was just right, the day not too hot and not too cool. The pastoral scenery of low, rolling hills covered in clover seemed almost like something in a painting, serene, quiet and a treat to the senses. The ponies, relieved of bridle, bit and harness were hobbled so as to be able to graze to their heart’s delight. The little company of travelers helped Estella set out their meal on a blanket and enjoyed the simple but satisfying repast. The youngsters rambled about in the clover, playing games and joyously wrestling like scrappy pups. Their voices, light, high and sweet, seemed to be the embodiment of spring in the Shire.

Restored with food and rest, they went on at a steady pace until at last they came to the hill-country Pippin called home. Only once more did they stop as the sun lay low over the hills and valleys. This time Merry and the young ones helped Estella bring forth the remaining food and drink without their customary chatter, for they were familiar with the habits of Pippin at this time of day. He wouldn’t eat until he had observed his daily custom of looking to the West at sunset. While he was usually alone at this time, observers of Pippin’s odd custom would often sense a kind of sadness in the Thain, though his sunny nature would return quickly enough. But today Faro, noting his father’s smile, nudged Merry’s elbow and silently nodded in the direction of Pippin and Boromir. Pippin’s somber sunset mood was missing this day, and the reason was apparent, for Boromir stood by the Thain’s side, one hand resting on Pippin’s shoulder as the sun descended lower and lower. Solitary no more in this observance, Pippin obviously enjoyed this custom now, whereas before he had always done so alone -- and with a wistful, silent sadness.

They ate hurriedly, for the lamps had to be pulled out and placed on the wagon before the sun dipped completely behind the hills. The Great Smials beckoned, sprawling among the hills in the distance, and soon the little procession arrived at their destination.

“And none too soon!” Faro said, obviously eager to see his mother -- he had been visiting in Buckland for some time, and as much as he enjoyed it, he was always glad to return to hearth and home. Pippin bade his son go and inform the Mistress of the Great Smials of the arrival of the party. Hildigrand, the son of Sigismond the stable-master, hurried from his cot to tend the ponies. All except Dapplegrim, that is, for Pippin would suffer none but Sigismond or himself to tend his precious mount.

Like Brandy Hall, the Great Smials had, set aside but still connected by a long, tubular hall, a section that contained the private abode of the Master and Mistress. Known as Lesser Great Smials, or, as its inhabitants called it, simply Lesser Smials it was both cozy and roomy, and among the many guestrooms there, one was very large with high ceilings, built when Gandalf had become a close friend to the Old Took and subsequently the entire clan.

Lesser Smials had its own door, painted a bright red and enjoying a silver knocker and bell all its own. Faro scurried down the long hall that led from the Thain’s apartments and down another hall that forked off to the left. He knew exactly where his mother would be: in the large room looking out over the Gardens, a room which Diamond had made into a classroom in order to teach the children of less fortunate hobbits their letters, numbers and history. She took her responsibilities as Mistress of the Great Smials seriously, and was of the opinion that she could improve the fortunes of the poor by way of the gift of knowledge. Most hobbits never learned to read, and though she had not the capability to teach all the children of the poor in the Four Farthings, she could teach the children of servants and field-workers and herders in her employ.

When Faro found her she was at her desk with a stack of slates examining the work of her charges. Faro paused in the doorway and silently watched her a moment. While it is true that all young everywhere think their mothers the most beautiful creatures in the wide world, Faro was convinced that there dwelt nowhere a more beautiful hobbitess than Diamond Took. Watching her now, seeing her dark hair half-fallen in a shadowy cascade of nearly black waves which were dusted liberally with chalk from the slates, he felt his heart swell with pride in her.

He silently slipped up behind her and placed his hands over her eyes. “Guess who?” he smiled.

“This must be the handsomest lad in all the Shire!” She turned and embraced her son. “Oh, look at you, all travel-stained; I was warned you took after your father in seeing just how dirty it is possible for a young hobbit to get! There is clover stuck in your hair. Where is your father?”

“He’s seeing to Dapplegrim. You know how he dotes on that pony, why, one might think the beast is Shadowfax himself!”

“There’s the truth if ever it was said, but true also it is that Dapplegrim is the finest pony ever shod. There are none to rival him, at least not in my memory, or in my father’s; and for that matter there are none that rival him in your father’s affections, either. I cannot blame him for spending so much time with Dapplegrim, for the beast returns his master’s love in equal measure.” She tousled Faro’s hair and then held her son at arms length. Her gaze fell on the bandaged leg of her young one. Her brow furrowed with concern. “What’s this?” Diamond bent and examined the dressing on Faro’s leg.

“Oh, I suppose you could say it’s the start of a long story, Mum. Speaking of which, if you’re to have the whole story, perhaps you’d best come and meet our guests.”

“Guests? Oh, that father of yours! How like him to bring guests without telling me,” she said, sounding cross but with a look on her face of fond amusement. Faro knew she had grown accustomed to unexpected behavior on the part of the Thain. In fact the youngster believed this very thing was one of many reasons she adored his father.

“Theo and Uncle Merry and Aunt Estella came with us, Mum,” Faro said, seeming to leave the statement dangling at the end.

“But there’s more.” It was not a question.

“Aye,” Faro continued. “He’s a bee-charmer, Mum, and he sells honey.”

“Thank goodness, I have been after your father for the longest time to find and set up trade with the new supplier! What is his name, and who are his family?”

“Oh, you don’t know them,” Faro said. “Perhaps you should tidy your hair, Mum, you have so much chalk in it you look like a floured dumpling.”

You look like a dumpling!” She laughed, and gave her son a little tickle. On the way back to Lesser Smials she stopped at a washroom and bathed her face and hands, brushed her hair and re-pinned it, then plucked clover from her son’s autumnal curls. Faro let her go on to their private quarters alone whilst he stopped in at the larder and searched the pie-safe, where he found a platter of apple tarts. Taking the entire platter, he hurried after his mother and caught up to her just as she walked through the door to the sitting room.

He heard his mother give a high squawk of alarm, and then there was a loud thump. As he walked into the room behind his mother he said, “Did you bump your head on another ceiling, Uncle Bom?”

Having not quite recovered from the start of finding a Man in her sitting room, Diamond gave another squawk when Faro spoke from behind her, which in turn startled Faro, causing him to let a few tarts slide off the platter. Backing away from the stranger, Diamond tread on one of them and her foot slipped. She found herself sitting quite hard and suddenly on the floor. With an expression of concern on his face, the strange Man stepped forward, trod on another tart, and sat down hard beside his hostess. He shook his head and got carefully to his feet, offering his hand to Diamond, red-faced with embarrassment.

Faro howled with laughter. “You shall have bumps and bruises both fore and aft, Uncle Bom!”

“Imp,” muttered Boromir, “you are far too much like your father.”

At this time Merry and Estella entered from the side door, followed by Pippin. “Well,” said the Thain dryly, “I see you have made your introductions in the grandest style. Come, my dear,” Pippin laughed. “No doubt you have made yourself comfortable, but let us greet our guest with a little more conventional hobbit hospitality!”

“Has fate no mercy for the Mistress of the Great Smials?” Boromir continued to mutter, “Far too much alike, indeed!”

“Peregrin Took!” Diamond scolded, “Why on earth did you not… Faro, why didn’t you… oh, never mind! I should know better than to even ask!” Diamond’s hair had fallen again, and she blew at a stray lock that had fallen over her large dark eyes. “Father and son,” she muttered, “like peas in a pod, I declare.” She took Boromir’s hand and allowed him help her up. “Please, sir, forgive my screeching at you like a cat with a trod-upon tail, I did not know you were… I assumed you were a hobbit.”

“Don’t you think he’s a little large for a hobbit, my dear?” teased Pippin.

“I hope I have not caused you to think ill of me, Lady,” said the Man, bowing low. She offered her hand in greeting, and he brushed his lips in gentlemanly fashion over her rings. “Most fair Lady, legend of your beauty has preceded our meeting. I beg your pardon for our unseemly introduction, as it were, and hope I may redeem myself in your eyes.”

Pippin stepped forward and stood at Diamond’s side. “My dearest, this is Boromir Beeman, an old friend of Merry’s and mine. Boromir, I am very proud to introduce you to my darling Diamond.” Pippin slipped an arm around Diamond’s waist and kissed her cheek. Boromir could hardly help but notice the look on Pippin’s face. Plainly he adored his wife, and from the way she looked at her husband, the feeling was mutual. Few and far between are couples that remain eternal sweethearts, thought Boromir but this pair is among those rare and blessed few. Indeed, he saw that she was quite beautiful, possessing looks that rivaled even the Ladies of high Elven courts. Her skin was like cream, her cheeks rosy, her dark eyes like black diamonds fringed with lashes so long and thick they resembled those of porcelain dolls made by the finest doll-makers in the South.

“Diamond Took, the famous Diamond Took,” Boromir said. “Indeed, I have been told of your great beauty. Alas that words fail miserably in the description of the Mistress of the Great Smials.”

“You flatter me, good sir!” Diamond responded, blushing prettily.

“In truth, my Lady, I do not,” replied the Man, “for word of your beauty runs far and wide! Why, in Bree, your husband is the envy of every hobbit. My friend is a fortunate one indeed, for word is also told of your wit, wisdom, grace and kindness. No doubt you wed Pippin out of pity!”

“Truly she did, Boromir,” Estella laughed, “Pippin was sick with love for her! He would have pined away had she refused his courtship.”

“And I shall still pine away if I don’t soon have a bite to eat,” Pippin laughed. “Come, Boromir! We shall do as we did at Brandy Hall and go the Dining Hall. Mind your head! I do not wish to have all our ceilings re-plastered, for I see by the dust on your shoulders you already have another lump on your head.” Turning to Diamond, Pippin continued, “He nearly brained himself at Brandy Hall. Faro, bring those tarts with you, if you please. Some wine and cheese would go well with those, so if my sweet wife would be so good as to show Boromir the way, I shall just run to the kitchen and cellar, then we may all enjoy food and drink together.”

“I’m sure Mister Beeman would like to wash up first,” Diamond said, noticing that Boromir offered his arm instead of simply following her like a common tradesman. “You are mannerly, sir,” she commented, “I perceive you were brought up well, perhaps at Court?”

“In the White City, Lady,” he replied. “As a young lad I started out as a Guard of the Citadel just as your husband did, so yes, I was gently reared, though later, as a soldier, my manners slipped betimes. Still, breeding tells, they say, and I have never lost my manners; they were at times but mislaid a while, for even a soldier in Minas Tirith must comport himself with gentility in all his affairs.”

Absorbed with the conversation, Boromir forgot yet again that he was in the home of hobbits. Twice more he bumped his head on roof-beams before he even had got as far as the washroom. Merry went ahead with the two lads to the dining hall while the pair of hobbit ladies and Boromir made use of the washroom. Boromir bowed to Diamond again as he held open the door to the washroom so she could tidy her hair yet again and clean the apple tart from between her toes. When she came out, he held the door once again for Estella with yet another courtly bow. When the ladies were done he took his turn, while the ladies took advantage of the opportunity to chat.

“You’re going to like this fellow,” whispered Estella, “why, he’s almost princely in manner. He is quite well spoken and seems such a kindly fellow; I wonder he was ever a soldier! He cannot have been a very good one, I think, not with that gentle demeanor.”

“Yes, I agree, he does have a gentlemanly air about him.”

“Perhaps his father was a scribe, or his mother a lady-in-waiting.”

“Perhaps,” Diamond said. “Does he have family?”

“No, I am sad to say. He is a widower, and lost both wife and babe during the birthing.”

“Oh, poor thing!” Diamond clucked her tongue. “Such a pity. Yet he seems kindly disposed, and is quite handsome. He may yet find a bride. I confess, when I heard his name I was confused, for I have never heard Pippin or Merry speak of another Boromir.”

“Nor I,” Estella nodded. “I’m told his is a common name in the South, though.”

“No disrespect to the poor fellow, but I think were he measured against the other Boromir, he might be found wanting.”

“No doubt – still, he must be a fine fellow, or he could never count himself a friend of our husbands.”

“True, true, and he is very much a gentleman.”

“And fair to look upon,” Estella said, “and not only that, he is very good with our sons; the lads think he is simply grand. He shall make a fine father someday.”

“With the right woman to wed, I’m sure you are right. Hmmm…”

“I know that look, Diamond Took!” Estella giggled behind her hand.

“Don’t you dare pretend you do not like match-making every bit as much as I do, Estella Brandybuck!”

“Tell me, aren’t you due to pay a visit to the weavers’ shops in Bree? The way our sons are growing, they could do with a new pair of breeks or two.”

“I think you are right,” Diamond agreed, “and whatever else we may find, I’m sure we can find some… things… which are well-fitted.”

“He’s coming out!” Estella hissed.

“Don’t worry, he’ll never see it coming ‘til it’s too late!”

“Come, Boromir!” Estella smiled, “You look as though you could do with a bite and a drink.”

With a comely hobbitess on each arm Boromir made his way to the Dining Hall, unaware that the pair gave each other a knowing wink behind his back.

When they got to the Dining Hall the lads with Merry were moving a sturdy, low chair to the table. “Gandalf’s chair!” Diamond said, “I see the idea occurred to more than just myself! Boromir, I believe you will find it a good fit. There you are, Pippin! Loitering about the wine cellar, were you? Come, Boromir! Let me show you around Lesser Great Smials while the table is made ready. Faro, be a dear and go fetch us a fresh loaf and some of that lovely shortbread – and bring a pitcher of milk, you know how Theo loves it.”

Diamond and Estella showed him around Lesser Smials, Diamond being flushed with pride for her home, Estella being amused every time Boromir had a run-in with a ceiling, roof-beam or bookshelf. Diamond seemed more concerned with head injuries and damage to her abode. It wasn’t as though he was a clumsy oaf, he moved with grace and an economy of motion. It was more the sheer size of him.

They paused here and there to show Boromir a painting or a small sculpture, and the Man would make quiet, thoughtful comments, admiring a deft brushstroke or the particular lines of a carving or statuette. Diamond, like Estella, was completely taken with him. Why, he might have been a prince in disguise, like in some old fairy tale. The more Diamond and Estella showed him around, the more they determined to find a mate for this man, and the ladies often stole glances at each other and tittered like young ‘tweens. Finally Diamond completed her tour with the room Boromir would be sleeping in, opening the door to show off the Man-sized bed. This, too, had been for Gandalf.

“How wonderful of the Tooks to keep the things he no doubt found great joy and comfort in using,” Boromir murmured, “I feel quite unworthy of them. Mithrandir was indeed both great and wise, though betimes a bit gruff. That he is sorely missed I doubt not in the least.”

“Oh, but you mustn’t feel unworthy!” Diamond asserted. “I’m quite sure he would want you to find just as much comfort and joy in them as he found, and besides, it shall be good to see them once more of good use. We have had no Big Folk visit us since Gandalf left. But I did not know that you knew him!”

“Aye, Ma’am, I knew him well, he was a frequent visitor to our… to the White City and its archives.”

“Perhaps you might grace us with a tale or two, some time.” Diamond once again took his arm. “But now I’m sure you have a place at our table made ready! Come and sit a while! I am sure you must be tired and hungry, and could do with a repast before retiring.”

Indeed, his place at the table was ready and his friends sat comfortably awaiting his return, but upon entering the room, Boromir spied something that drew him like a moth to the flame. Over the mantle, Pippin’s sword had been mounted, and this Boromir carefully took down after glancing at Pippin for approval. Diamond watched Pippin for a reaction since the Thain didn’t usually give his approval for the blade to be handled. With some surprise, she saw Pippin nod with a wistful smile. The Man unsheathed the blade and looked at it appreciatively. Along the blade many words had been engraved in Elvish, and these he studied intently, running a finger along the fine etchings. Somehow Diamond felt sure he knew exactly what was inscribed there. She watched him appraising the blade with a fine eye, his appreciation of the thing surpassing by far any interest he had earlier shown for the number of fine artworks she had on display. It was as if he were seeing a thing of beauty once beheld, but never forgotten. He examined the edge of the blade, and then turned his attention to the hilts.

“I see Pippin has not neglected this blade. I confess I am not at all surprised – but he was so young to carry this beautiful thing! He should have been out and about and into mischief at that age. Nevertheless, I am eternally grateful for his deeds. It is sad to know one must grow up all too quickly, but he did just that, and I am very proud of him.” There was a sad little smile on the Man’s face, and he seemed to be caught in some not-so-distant memory.

Then he took the blade by the hilt and indulged himself in a bit of swordplay, at first a little awkward for the size of both blade and Man. After a few passes, he seemed to find the balance of the blade. Estella and Diamond watched in fascination at the speed and graceful movement of the shining blade, and the two youngsters voiced their enthusiasm at the display. The Man seemed almost to be dancing, his body turning and bending in a dance of terrible grace, the glittering blade seeming to weave a silvery net about him. He held the blade point up. It looked so small in his hands. Once more he admired it, appraising it as a Dwarf might a fine piece of metalwork, turning it over in his large hands as if it was a fine piece of art. Out of his pocket he took a soft cloth and wiped the blade down, re-sheathing it, and put it back in its place.

“You must have been a magnificent swordsman,” Diamond said softly.

“So it is said,” Boromir replied with a wry but oddly grim smile. Somehow it made Estella and Diamond sad to see that smile. “I feel I did my part.” The Man continued, “However, that part of my life is behind me now.” The wistful expression faded, and he turned to give Diamond a warm smile. “I think Mistress Diamond will be pleased to find more than enough honey for her larder when the wagon is unloaded in the morning. Allow me to say it is both honor and delight to meet at last the families of my friends, and to visit their homes. It has been many years since I saw your husbands, and they were always kind to a humble once-soldier.”

“And are you content, now that you are no longer a soldier?” asked Diamond.

“I find I quite enjoy my quiet life. Proud was I to serve my city and my Lord… yet I find I love peace and quiet, and the simple beauty of the world so well made for us to dwell upon.”

“My goodness!” said Estella, “You are very tall for a hobbit! You certainly are like no Man I have met before, if what you say is true. I rather thought men did not love the earth so much as we hobbits do. It is good to see I have been misled.”

“Sweet Lady, many years did I strive to learn this, and it is a lesson I shall never forget. I am quite content to let the world of Men wend as it will. I would rather spend my years as one of you, who hold more dear food and drink and the good earth, than to battles and great deeds. Too many corpses has war made, though it can be a glorious thing when needed.” He paused, and Diamond again saw the ghost of some sad memory flit across his fair features. Then, seeming to vanquish the sadness with a deep sigh, he continued, “But it is no bad thing to lead a simple life, and I have found grace in it.” But he quickly averted his eyes, as though some memory remained heavy upon his heart.

Now, Diamond Took was no fool, and she sensed there was something in the spirit of the Man that had taken great hurt, and found greater healing in a new life. Her heart, like Estella’s, was the heart of a mother, and as we all know, mothers seem to have a sense for a wound of the heart. It is the ageless desire of the female heart to soothe all hurts in the opposite sex, in their sisters, and in children. Though they had only just met him, both ladies felt a need in this Man, and their so-female hearts went out to him.

They stayed up late, enjoying light, pleasant conversation and laughter. Diamond was given the full tale of Faro’s injury and the subsequent visit to the Old Forest. Faro and Theo fell asleep at the table, and rather than have their parents wake them, Boromir carried them to the room they shared. Gandalf’s bed, Boromir found, was decidedly comfortable and plenty roomy enough for him to sleep well.

The following day Estella and Diamond spent together, while their husbands and sons spent the day with Boromir discussing the building of beehives. Materials to build them were loaded onto the wagon, and the rest of the day they spent on the paddock. Pippin chose a team of ponies sired by Dapplegrim and out of a draft-mare, and these he offered as yearly stipend in advance for honey, beeswax candles and royal jelly. The ponies were tall, like their sire, but sturdily built, like their dam, and would serve quite well for Boromir’s draft-ponies when the beehives helped produce a great quantity of honey for market-days.

The following morning Boromir left with the Brandybucks, his draft-ponies in tow and the wagon loaded with materials for beehives. Pippin embraced Boromir tightly.

“You are not to make a stranger of yourself, sir!” Said Pippin, “If you are too scarce, I shall hunt you down and take you to task!”

“Do come visit again soon, Uncle Bom,” Faro said, “next time, I’ll show you my favorite fishing place!”

Diamond and Estella stood talking together; amused that Boromir had his lap full of the pair of young hobbits. From the gate, Boromir and the four hobbits could hear their soft laughter, like that of little silver bells. They wondered what little jest had them laughing so. Those two were always finding one thing or another to laugh about, and this morning it seemed they had found something which must have been quite amusing.

“Now don’t forget!” Diamond whispered, “I shall come to Brandy Hall in a fortnight, and then…”

Estella laughed gaily and hugged Diamond. “Until then, Diamond, farewell. I shall see you soon.”

“Yes, and what fun we shall have!” replied Diamond, giving the Man and the hobbits a wave. “They are growing impatient, darling, you’d best not wait or they may grow suspicious.”

“Not to worry! He shall never see it coming, until it is too late!” Estella said, then climbed up beside Theo and took the reins.

Pippin, Diamond and Faro stood at the gate and watched the wagon disappear down the lane. When Diamond turned to go in, she thought she saw a tear on her husband’s cheek, but before she could be certain, Pippin brushed at his cheek with the back of his hand. She must be mistaken, because the Thain seemed very happy indeed.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List