Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Sneaky Snakes And Broken Bones  by Anso the Hobbit

PART FOUR:

Pippin woke to the sounds of quiet talk and turned over on his cot. Gandalf and Aragorn were having a whispered conversation in the far corner of the tent. Merry slept and Frodo and Sam were having a cup of tea and some bread. Seeing Pippin waking up, Frodo poured out a cup of tea for him and made him a plate with bread and jam. “Strider says you are to stay in bed, Pippin,” Frodo said.

”King`s orders,” Aragorn said with a smile.

Frodo produced a covered cup from the table and held it out to Pippin. “And you`re to drink this.”

Pippin hesitated. He wasn`t the one needing draughts today, now was he? “Come now,” Frodo said. “It`s just a tea with a few herbs to help your aches and pains and I personally saw to it being sweetened with honey.” It was the only way for Pippin to take a nasty tea. Merry however would rather drink the bitter brew down and would scrunch his face up in disgust at the very thought of honey in his tea.

Setting the mug down, Pippin tucked into his bread and jam. “How`s Merry?” he asked between bites.

“He`s been sleeping since lunch. He tried eating a little but he wasn`t feeling all that well. He still had a bit of fever and was tired and still in pain.”

Pippin had barely finished his tea when the guard standing outside the tent looked inside. “The Ranger who found the Halflings is here now,” he said when Aragorn acknowledged him.

“Bid him enter,” Aragorn said. “I`m afraid Merry is still asleep though.”

“Not any more,” a groggy voice said, and Merry struggled to sit up, rubbing his hands through his curls so they stood about wildly.

“That is good to hear as you have a guest,” Gandalf said and moved to help Merry sit up properly without jostling his foot.

“I have?” Merry looked curiously at the Ranger still standing in the opening of the tent.

“I come to see how you are faring Sir Meriadoc. I was quite worried when I found you and your cousin in the forest yestereve.”

“It was you who found us?” Merry smoothed his curls down and straightened his blankets a little in an attempt to make himself a bit more presentable. “I`m afraid I`m a bad host, trapped in this bed as I am.”

“I would have found it quite extraordinary if you weren`t,” the Ranger said, bowing. “Allow me to introduce myself. I`m Fermund, a Ranger of Ithilien.”

Merry introduced himself in the proper way then said, “But you are so fair, I would have thought you a Rider of Rohan if it weren`t for your garb.”

“And right you would be in doing so. My family come from the Westfold but I moved to Gondor some years back when I married.”

“Ah, I see.” Merry smiled. This man was a bit of all the new worlds he`d come to love – Rohan, Gondor and Ithilien. “Please sit.” He gestured to a chair beside the bed. Everything was man-sized here so Merry didn`t have to worry about asking his guest to sit on the floor.

“Thank you,” Fermund said and sat down. One of the Ring-bearers offered him a cup of tea and Fermund received it with more thanks and much humility. Fermund knew that he was in debt to these small persons and not the other way around. They had saved Middle-earth and what deeds he had done were pale in comparison. He looked at the little hobbit in the overlarge bed. Sir Meriadoc – no, Merry, as he had told Fermund to call him when he formally introduced himself - was fully awake now and looked much better than he had the previous night. The injured foot was propped up on a pillow and Merry was still pale and favoured his right hand but seemed bright and cheerful, quite suited to his name, Fermund thought. Pippin had given him a thorough account of their family trees yesterday as they had walked and he knew that Meriadoc also was a cousin to one of the Ring-bearers and that the other Ring-bearer was considered a very good friend of all three cousins.

“I am forever in your debt. Thank you again,” Merry said gravely. It suddenly occurred to him that he could have died out there in the forest if it hadn`t been for Pippin and the Ranger. Merry looked to Pippin sitting up in the cot next to his and held out his hand. “Thank you, Pippin. For taking such good care of me until Fermund found us.” His thanks and love shone in his eyes and he squeezed Pippin`s hand. They`d talk more later. If he had been able, Merry would have gone to Pippin`s cot and hugged his dear little cousin as tight as he could manage, but the squeeze had to do for now.

Merry looked back to Fermund. “How did you happen to find us and bring us back?” he asked.

“I was out taking a stroll when I saw the Ernil… Pippin`s small fire and that`s when I found you. Pippin was cradling you in his arms and had wrapped you in his cloak to keep you warm. I was quite astonished by his fierce protection of you.” Fermund turned to smile at Pippin. “His own injuries were clearly hurting him, yet he shot to his feet ready to do battle in your defence should I prove to be an enemy.”

“That`s my Pip,” Merry said fondly.

“Thank you for finding my cousins and bringing them back to safety,” Frodo said, bowing from his place on the other side of Pippin`s cot, following the conversation but not interrupting before now.

Sam looked up from where he had been pouring more water into the kettle. “Thank you, sir, for finding Mr. Frodo`s cousins.”

Fermund turned to the other hobbits and went down on his knees in front of Frodo and Sam. “It is I – and all of Middle-earth – that should thank you for all you have done. Had it not been for you,” he included Pippin and Merry in his gaze, “all of you, then we would have been lost.”

Merry looked at Frodo and Sam, seeing the discomfiture in their eyes. Poor Frodo! All this unwanted attention. What could he say? Suddenly feeling tired again, Merry yawned and inched down everso slightly in the bed. Gandalf saw it though and winked to Merry before he cleared his throat. Merry’s life spark was dulling again and Pippin's had also lost some of its brightness. “Now then,” Gandalf said, “this is a healing tent and I do believe the King has some patients to see to. We are all very grateful for your assistance to Peregrin and Meriadoc, good Fermund.”

“I shall take my leave,” Fermund said, rising and turning to leave.

“Wait!” Merry sat up a bit straighter. “Frodo, would you mind giving me my pack?” Merry nodded to where his and Pippin`s packs lay on the other side of Pippin`s cot.

Aragorn, who had watched the conversation in silence, turned from where he had been sorting out supplies for re-bandaging Merry`s foot, curious to what the hobbit intended. He watched as Frodo got Merry`s pack and handed it to his cousin.

Merry nodded his thanks and started digging through the contents. “Ah, here it is. I knew I had one somewhere.”

Fermund watched as Merry dug through his pack and looked with curiosity when Merry retrieved a pipe and a small pouch. “It`s not much, but I want to give you some token of appreciation for saving my life, Fermund,” Merry said. “Please, take it.”

Fermund sat down on the chair by Merry`s bed again. “Thank you, Merry, but that is not necessary. Both Kings extended their thanks to me earlier today.” He patted his surcoat pocket. “King Éomer gave me a pouch of gold coins, and King Elessar has promoted me to Captain of the Ithilien Rangers as Lord Faramir now is Steward.” He looked gratefully at the new King.

Merry was surprised by this. Gold and a promotion for finding him and Pippin? He looked at Strider and arched an eyebrow. Aragorn nodded firmly. “You are both held high in esteem both in Rohan and Gondor, Merry. I would do no less.”

“Say thank you,” Frodo whispered, kicking Merry`s good leg softly from where he sat beside Pippin.

“Thank you,” Merry said, still quite dazed and trying to take in this information. He knew Aragorn was fond of the hobbits and Merry considered Éomer a very good friend… What would he himself give if Frodo or Pippin were lost to have them returned to him safe and sound? He knew the answer instantly of course, he would give his life to have Pippin and Frodo safe. He knew that Aragorn would do the same, for all of them, had always known it, but suddenly seeing this evidence of his worth in Aragorn’s eyes, and Éomer’s, made him feel a bit queer, though in a good way. He looked at Fermund again.

“Well, it is not nearly so grand as gold or a promotion, but please, take it. I know it`s not worth a lot but it`s a little something from the Shire and I have carried it with me all the long miles from home. The weed,” Merry nodded to the pouch, “is courtesy of Saruman I`m afraid as the weed I brought with me is long since gone, but it was grown in the Shire and is one of our finest pipeweeds. Though, how Saruman came upon it I still haven`t figured out.”

Fermund looked at the long-stemmed wooden pipe and the leather pouch with interest. Weed? The Rangers of the south didn`t smoke, but he had seen Mithrandir and King Elessar smoke from a long-stemmed pipe on occasion, in fact, the old Wizard was puffing on his this very moment, although the pipe wasn`t lit. He opened the pouch carefully and sniffed the contents. It was quite pleasant. “I will treasure it always,” Fermund said gravely. “Though, I do not know how to use it.”

 “That can easily be amended,” Merry said. “If you were to come back tomorrow afternoon perhaps we can go outside and have a smoke.” He looked at Aragorn questioningly.

Aragorn looked closely at Merry. “That is far too soon for you to move about Merry. In four days time perhaps.”

Merry put on a beseeching look that would have done Pippin credit, and countered with, “Two days?”

Aragorn considered, then replied, “Three days and we have a bargain. Assuming that I am satisfied with your progress.”

“All right.” Merry turned back to Fermund. “I`ll see you in three days time then?”

“Thank you. I will be looking forward to that,” Fermund said then bowed and left the tent.

“Now, then,” Aragorn said, “I do think I will have another look at that ankle of yours, and you are still tired. Rest is the best thing for you right now.”

*****

Merry had slept for a good bit in the days since Fermund had paid his visit, just waking up long enough to have a bite now and again, and then soon falling asleep once more. Waking up in time for first breakfast on the third day he was feeling refreshed and much better for the rest, and instantly sat up, but gasped a little as pain shot through his leg.

Frodo sat beside Merry on the chair by the bed, his feet contently propped up on the edge of the bed and his hands folded over his stomach. He leaned forward. “Is everything all right? Are you in pain?”

“No, no.” Merry started to remove the covers and was about to swing his good leg over the side of the cot but a new onslaught of pain had him flopping back onto the pillows, out of breath even before Frodo could stop him. Carefully he slid the good leg in under the covers again and lay still.

“Merry! You can`t get up yet, not until Aragorn says that you may. Your ankle is badly broken and far from healed, Aragorn said so himself, and…” Frodo trailed off. How much should he tell Merry?

“And what?” Merry demanded, sitting up again, this time very slowly and without moving his bad leg overmuch. Frodo stood and fluffed the pillows so Merry could sit more comfortably.

“You did have a hard fight with the Shadow," Frodo gently reminded Merry.

“Yes, but I’m better now. I feel fine Frodo. I want to get up and move about a little. And Aragorn said “maybe“ I could today, didn`t he? He looked about the tent. “Where is Pippin?”

“He said he would see about it. Maybe isn`t a yes, Merry. And Pippin is with Gimli and Legolas.”

Pippin arrived just then with Legolas and Merry started fishing through his pack for clean clothes, not paying any heed to the protests from the others about his not being allowed to get up. “It’s no harm in being prepared,” Merry said, but he had to admit defeat as just trying to change from his nightshirt into an ordinary shirt jostled his leg too much.

 “I`ll tell you a story,” Pippin offered, taking the shirt from Merry and sitting down on the edge of Merry's cot. “I know some good ones that I learned in Minas Tirith and I`m sure you haven`t heard them.”

“Thank you, Pip, that might actually get my mind of this dratted leg.”

When Pippin was finished with his story, Merry remembered that Pippin had only been allowed up for short periods of time now, and wondered aloud why he had been out and about when Merry had awakened. He didn’t want Pippin overdoing because he himself was sleeping too much and not taking proper care of his cousin.

Pippin blushed as the attention was turned to him. “I… well, Legolas carried me outside, just for some fresh air, and I haven`t walked much.”

“Pippin is correct,” Legolas said with a smile.

Merry nodded in approval. Legolas wouldn't let Pippin hurt himself.

*****

As the four hobbits were about to finish second breakfast Aragorn finally arrived together with Gandalf and Gimli. Aragorn was carrying a long, thin package, wrapped in green cloth. He laid the package aside and knowing better than to try to come between a hobbit and his meal waited patiently for them to finish. Then he poked and prodded at Pippin, pronouncing him completely recovered from this latest adventure, and then he examined Merry`s foot intently. At last he rewrapped the bandages around the splint, and smiled. “You are healing nicely, Merry, and I think you will soon be back on your feet again.”

“That is good news!” Pippin said, from where he and Frodo and Sam were still sitting on Pippin`s cot.

“Yes it is.” Aragorn patted Merry`s good knee and sat down in the chair beside the bed to have a look at the rest of the hobbit. Merry`s hand and arm felt warm again, although he still hadn`t regained his former use of it, and his grip was very weak. “I have something here to make your grip stronger, Merry,” he said,

“You mean something other than writing all those letters? I know you were behind that you know. Why else would Éomer suddenly need to write so many letters?”

Aragorn laughed. “It is not a pen, no. And I do admit I had something to do with it. Although, a new King has many letters to send, informing his folk and friends about this and that and Éomer really did need you to serve as his scribe.”

Aragorn retrieved the mysterious package from where it lay on the bedside table. It was too long to be a hobbit-sized sword, and besides, Merry had got his sword back after a fashion – Gimli had forged a new blade for the hilt of Merry’s own sword, all that had been left of the weapon after he had struck his blow to the Witch-king. Merry had looked at this curious item and tried to think what it could be while Aragorn examined him, but he could not think what it was.

“Why don`t you open it?” Aragorn lay the package in Merry`s lap and the others crowded close; all the surviving Fellowship was gathered about him and had the other three hobbits not been sitting on Pippin`s cot it would have been hard to fit them all in the little tent.

Merry looked at them for a moment before untying the strings around the package and stared at the contents in pleased surprise. “A walking stick?” He said, amused but happy that he might soon have the opportunity to be able to walk about again.

“A very fine one.” Gandalf nodded, “It was made so you can walk around a little while your ankle still is healing.”

Merry looked at each and one of them in turn, pondering whom to thank. “Thank you,” he finally said to them all.

“Oh, don`t thank us, it`s Fermund who made this,” Gimli said.

“Fermund? He made this for me?”

“Yes. He`s quite skilled when it comes to working with wood,” Aragorn said. “He offered during my meeting with him to make this gift for you.”

“How kind of him,” breathed Merry, admiring the craftsmanship. The stick was the perfect length for Merry and the handle was carved in the likeness of a horse`s head and neck and wound about the length of the stick was the same pattern that edged Merry`s livery cloak. The bottom was bound with a ferrule of silver on which were etched the banners of Éomer’s household. “This is beautiful!” Merry held the stick with both hands and looked at it admiringly. “But what`s this?” At the top, as the winding pattern widened out to meet the handle, runes in Westron proclaimed that the stick belonged to Sir Meriadoc, Holdwine of the Mark, but there was also written something in elvish. Merry recognised one of the words immediately. “Alasseo?” Merry said in wonder. “Legolas, did you have something to do with this?” Merry looked at the rest of the text. “And what`s this? Elen Sila Lύmenn' Omentielvo?” He stumbled a little over the pronunciation but Frodo looked at him proudly.

“Don`t you remember your elvish, Merry? Frodo laughed. “You should know enough to translate what it means.” He smiled fondly at his cousin.

“Frodo!” Merry said. “It was you!”

“No, it was I,” Legolas said. “Fermund came to me and asked if I would help him with writing an elvish text upon the stick. He had heard that an elvish blessing is said to bestow special luck.”

Merry smiled at Legolas. “Thank you!”

“You`re very welcome.” Legolas smiled back, resisting the urge to ruffle Merry`s curls. Instead he squeezed his shoulder. “Can you translate it? Frodo tells me you know some elvish.”

“Let`s see. I know Alasseo at least. It is the first elvish word that Frodo ever taught me.”

“What does it mean?” Pippin asked.

“It means “merry”, Merry answered, smiling.

“Oh, that`s perfect!” Pippin said, all but bouncing on the cot.

“Yes it is. Frodo, you have to help me with the rest. It`s something… something about a star I think, yes, a star that shines, and something about to see, no, meet?”

“Yes that`s right. Very good! It says “Merry - a stars shines upon the hour of our meeting”.”

“That`s beautiful!” Merry felt tears pricking in his eyes. He didn`t deserve such a gift from the Ranger. “Where is Fermund? I must thank him for this at once. How kind of him!”

“I am here,” Fermund said, from where he was standing, hidden behind Gandalf. He had come in quietly when Aragorn had presented Merry with the gift and had watched the whole exchange. “And it is true. A star did shine upon our first meeting, and will continue to do so whenever we meet.”

“Indeed it will!” Merry said. “Thank you so much! This is wonderful and I will never forget your thoughtfulness. How did you manage to make this so quickly?”

“I had a bit of help,” Fermund said, pointedly nodding at Legolas and Gimli.” Our friend Gimli here provided the ferrule, and Legolas as you know assisted me with the elvish characters. Thanks to our combined skills it was finished but an hour ago.”

Merry beamed up at them all, grateful and happy to have such friends. “Thank you. All of you,” he said. He felt his eyes fill with tears and hurriedly wiped them away.

“You`re very welcome young hobbit, ” Gimli said gruffly, his own eyes suspiciously bright.

“Strider? Can I try it, please? I`m sure I`ll be able to walk a few steps if I have something to lean on and this is just perfect!”

“All right, Merry. But be careful.” Aragorn helped Merry rise and put the walking stick in his hand. The grip fit his hand perfectly. “Careful now.”

Merry swayed just a bit and many pairs of hands reached out to help him. Then he found his balance and placed the stick firmly on the ground and it held him upright as he leaned on it. Tentatively he took a step and he found that he could hobble a bit, not easily, but the effort was not too much for him to manage. He walked around the bed and went to stand in front of Fermund. “Thank you again.” He shot a glance at Aragorn before he continued. “Now, would you like to accompany me outside for a smoke? I believe I promised to teach you how to properly smoke Longbottom Leaf.”

“I would indeed!” Fermund said and took Merry’s other hand to support him.

THE END

A/N: Apparently I am not the first to think Merry’s first Elvish word would be "Allaseo". Marigold thought it up before me and it is first mentioned in Baylor's story "I Always Know You."

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List