Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Dragonfire  by White Wolf

Chapter Twenty Four

"What will become of you now?" Aragorn asked of Ricard. He had come to think of the other man as a friend, and he was concerned about his future.

"Ravenlore is my home, so I will stay here. I am sure, now that Allaura is gone, that I will be able to regain my strength. And I have all the time I will need to accomplish that."

"You don’t mind living here alone?" Aragorn inquired.

"I will not be alone. The four men, who Allaura turned into her personal guards, will keep me company. Now that they do not have her to fear, I am sure we can all go back to the somewhat normal life we used to have, though it will be much quieter around here." The words may have been humorous, but Ricard couldn’t help but gaze sympathetically toward the house for what Allaura had done to those men. He shook off the feeling and continued. "They worked for me as servants and lawn keepers before she came along, so I hope they will do so again. They have no place else to go, but I will not hold them here, if they choose to leave. I would not blame them, if they did."

Satisfied now that Ricard would indeed be all right, Aragorn turned and looked at Treco with a gleam in his eye. "So you didn’t kill them." He was almost amused that the dragon had shown consideration for people, who had helped to keep him a prisoner. It was most undragon-like behavior.

Treco snorted. "They were no threat to me, thanks to you, so I saw no reason to waste my breath on them." He laughed at his own joke. All he got from the two humans were two identical smiles of indulgence.

"You can both stay here until Legolas gets better, if you would like," Ricard offered, turning the subject to the elf.

"Thank you," Aragorn said gratefully, "but I don’t think that’s a good idea, considering what happened to him here."

"You are probably right." Ricard conceded. He was not offended by the ranger’s remark. After all, it was true that the elf was in the condition he was because of what Allaura had done to him here at Ravenlore. "So where will the two of you go?"

At this point, Treco cleared his throat. When the two men looked at him, he said, "I can fly you wherever you wish to go." His eyes darkened a bit, when he added, "As long as it is not near people - of any race," he added that last, thinking that the ranger would probably want to go someplace full of humans or perhaps one full of elves. He wasn’t too happy to be caught in the snare of caring for the elf and the ranger, as it was, so he sure didn’t want to go anywhere near any of their people. The turmoil, not to mention the danger, that would result was more than he was willing to deal with.

“Thank you, Treco,” Aragorn said. “That’s very kind of you.” Aragorn was genuinely moved and certainly shocked by the offer. How many times in the history of Middle-earth had a dragon ever offered to fly someone somewhere. The answer was clearly none. Flying on the back of a dragon was something that he would remember for the rest of his life. The ranger hated to turn the offer down, but he had something else in mind for him and Legolas.

There was also another reason he had to shake his head. “As long as you have the necklace, even hidden as it is,” he said with a grin, “I don’t think Legolas should be near you. No offence.”

"None taken, since it is not me you object to." Treco gave a silly grin to the ranger. "By the way, I am keeping the necklace."

Aragorn shrugged. "That’s fine with me, but it now belongs to Ricard." Turning to the other man, he raised his eyebrows in question.

Ricard made a distasteful expression. "Keep it. I certainly do not want that thing around."

It was a look of curiosity that crossed Aragorn’s face. "Why would you want to keep it?" he asked of the dragon.

"It is a beautiful jewel, and dragons delight in jewels, as you are no doubt aware."

"But you saw what it did to Legolas, even to us," Aragorn pointed to himself and Ricard.

With a slightly haughty tone, Treco responded. "I am neither mortal nor elven. The stone will not affect me. I can enjoy its beauty without falling victim to its power."

Aragorn was tempted to ask if he was sure, but he knew the arrogance of the dragon would only get him a curt reply for his effort, so he kept the question to himself.

Treco couldn’t avoid looking over toward Legolas. "Are you sure I cannot fly the two of you anywhere? The elf needs help."

Treco knew the ranger was resourceful, having been on the receiving end of the man’s healing abilities, but Treco wasn’t sure that this man, or anyone, could pull the elf out of his current despair.

Aragorn nodded. "I’m sure," he answered with certainty, again taken with the dragon‘s concern.

"Then I shall be on my way." Treco moved several yards from the two men. When he felt that he was far enough away to keep the wind that would be created by his wings from knocking them down, he said, "What you and the elf did surprised me."

"What we did?"

"Made me care," was Treco’s simple reply. Before the ranger could say anything to that, the dragon turned and dipped his head in farewell and began to flap his wings, whipping the air around him.

The ranger lifted his hand in his own farewell. "Until we meet again," he called out.

"Not likely," the dragon muttered, not knowing for sure, if he was overheard over the noise his takeoff was making.

Aragorn and Ricard watched Treco soar up into the sky and then disappear over the treetops to the north.

The ranger sighed, feeling like he had just said goodbye to a friend he would never see again. He glanced at Ricard and felt certain he would soon feel the same way about the other man.

The ranger walked over to where Legolas still sat cross-legged on the ground. He bent down and gently pulled the elf’s hands away from his face. "Legolas, listen to me." When the wood-elf didn’t respond, the man took his friend’s chin in his hand and turned his head up.

It wasn’t until Aragorn saw recognition dawn in Legolas’s eyes that he began to speak. "Allaura is dead, Legolas, and the necklace is gone. It’s time that we started your recovery."

Ricard smiled at the word ‘we’. It was clear the elf would not be alone in the ordeal that lay ahead, and he had no doubt that it would indeed be an ordeal.

He looked toward the sun, which was just beginning to drop into the West. "Why don’t the two of you stay here for tonight and get an early start in the morning?"

Aragorn considered the offer then decided against it. "I think it’s best that we spend the night in the forest. The sooner Legolas gets into the trees, the better I think it will be."

Ricard nodded. "Of course. I understand. Well, at least let me supply you with some food and blankets. It is the least I can do."

It was more in an effort to make Ricard feel that he was helping to repay a debt he felt he owed rather than a need for food that prompted the ranger to say, "That sounds good, Ricard. I’ll stay here with Legolas. I can‘t leave him alone." He still couldn’t be absolutely sure that the archer wouldn’t run off, if left alone.

Aragorn felt bad that he hadn’t volunteered to help Ricard, but he assumed the guards, or rather the servants, would help, since it would be a while before the man’s foot could heal enough to set his crutch aside.

*~*~*~*

A half hour later, Ricard emerged from the house. Two of the former guards followed him, one carrying a small pack and a larger bulging one while the other servant carried two full water skins.

Aragorn pulled Legolas up and was pleased to note that he elf did not resist but came to his feet and stood calmly. A glance by the ranger revealed the fact that Legolas was aware, at least in a vague way, of what was going on around him.

One of the servants looked straight at Aragorn with an expression that spoke of great shame. He could not express himself in any other manner.

The ranger read the silent man’s apology and nodded. "It is well."

The smile that spread across the servant’s face told Aragorn that the meaning of his remark had been understood but still he said to Ricard, "Tell them all there are no hard feelings."

"I will," The man replied, a happy look on his own face. He truly cared for these men, who had served his family, even before he was born. He regretted that he had not been able to protect them from his wife, but the hard truth was that he had not even been able to protect himself.

Ricard took the two packs and handed the larger one to Aragorn, who in turn slipped it over Legolas’s left shoulder. The elf accepted it without comment. Ricard opened the smaller pack, which caused a frown to appear on Aragorn’s face.

Noting the ranger’s puzzled expression, Ricard said, "I am not about to hand out something to eat," he laughed, "though there is food in here." After adjusting his weight on the crutch, so he was balanced, Ricard reached in and pulled out two daggers.

Aragorn immediately recognized both of the weapons. One was his and one belonged to Legolas. They were the blades that they normally kept in their boots.

"These were found hidden among Grath’s things. I saw that the blades were clearly elven made and knew that they were not his nor any of his men’s. They had to be yours."

Aragorn grinned broadly, as he took the two knives in his hands and looked down at them fondly. He held one up for Legolas to see.

The elf nodded but did not reach for his knife. It wasn’t that he didn’t want it, but he was aware enough to realize it wasn’t a good idea to have a knife within easy reach. He knew he wouldn’t hurt Aragorn or Ricard, but he couldn’t be sure he wouldn’t hurt himself. The thought made him shiver.

A worried look crossed Aragorn’s face, as he saw the elf’s body shudder and a darkness appear in his friend’s eyes. The man understood their meaning and lowered the knife, slipping it in his right boot. His own knife soon rested beside it. "Thank you, Ricard. These are most welcome friends, and it’s good to be reunited with them."

"I have a couple more in here." The man reached in again and pulled out two long, white handled knives. "These are truly beautiful."

Legolas’s eyes went wide at the sight of his two beloved knives. This time he couldn’t resist. He reached for them and gently took them from Ricard’s hands. He looked up at Aragorn and gave him a small smile.

The ranger nodded with a grin on his lips. If only they could have saved his bow and the intricately stitched leather quiver that held Legolas’s hand-made arrows. He would also like to have his sword back. He let out a heavy sigh.

Legolas handed the knives to Aragorn and watched as the man put both of them in his belt.

"I am sorry there wasn’t anything else. I doubt a man like Grath would have destroyed a sword or a bow, but Allaura may have, after she killed him, and his men were taken care of."

Turning, Aragorn reassured Ricard. "No matter. These will do until my sword and Legolas’s bow can be replaced." Smiling, the ranger then said, "Thank you again, Ricard. I hope that we will see you again in the future."

They both knew that that would most likely never happen, though each hoped that somehow it would come to pass.

Ricard watched as the elf and the ranger walked away from Ravenlore. He was still watching when they disappeared from sight among the trees.

Then he turned toward the house, a contented sigh escaping, as he thought about how nice life was going to be without Allaura. He didn’t even glance back at the black stature of his wife that he was intending to bury the next day. With it would go the earrings that matched the necklace. Everything else of hers would be burned.

*~*~*~*

Legolas and Aragorn traveled until the sun had disappeared below the horizon, though there was still enough of light to travel by.

Night creatures were just beginning to stir, some taking wing, some scurrying along the forest floor and some crawling, as they prepared to hunt for prey and other forms of food for their sustenance.

The two friends continued on until they reached the bank of the river. With a mutual agreement, they decided to camp just inside the tree line to avoid exposure to any unfriendly eyes that may be turned their way.

Legolas had followed Aragorn’s lead all the way from Ravenlore, but his movements had been slow and now bordered on lethargic.

"You’re tired, Legolas. Why don’t you rest while I set up camp." The man tried to sound casual.

The elf shook his head. "I will help." His heart wasn’t really in it, but deep within him he still had enough pride not to let the ranger do all the work while he did nothing.

Getting the two water skins, Aragorn handed them to Legolas. "We haven’t used much, but you know as well as I do that we need to refill whenever we get the chance. We might need all of this before we’re able to get more."

Legolas took the water skins and walked to the river’s edge. Once out from under the trees, there was more light to see by. The elf kneeled down and filled both of the skins. His movements were slow and deliberate.

The ranger worked as quickly as he could while still keeping an eye on the elf. He didn’t know how long it would be before he could trust the elven archer to be on his own without close supervision.

Aragorn started the fire, unpacked the food for the evening meal and set out the blankets. It hadn’t taken all that long, but Aragorn noted that Legolas was still kneeling by the river.

Waling over to the elf, Aragorn knelt down beside his friend.

Legolas was not moving, one water skins was lying on the sandy ground beside him, and the other was still in his hand, though the stopper was back in place.

Softly, Aragorn asked, "Legolas, what are you thinking about?"

A bitter laugh erupted from the elf’s lips. "You know very well what I am thinking about."

"The necklace."

"It is long gone, and I will never see it again. I know this, yet it still calls to me." The elf’s voice was wistful. "I cannot break its hold on my mind."

"That’s why we’re here in the forest, Legolas," the ranger said gently. "Do the trees not speak to you?"

For a long time, the elf didn’t answer. When he spoke at last, his tone was soft, and reminded Aragorn of an elven lament. "I cannot hear them, Estel. I am not even aware of the Song of Ilúvatar. I live, so the Song is there, but I do not hear it. I only hear the blue stone." He looked at Aragorn with the most pitiful look the man had ever seen in Legolas’s eyes. "I...I do not even desire to hear it."

That statement frightened Aragorn more than anything else Legolas could have said. "I can’t believe that," the man blurted out. No matter how strong the stone’s pull was, surely no elf, especially this wood-elf, could ever mean such a thing.

"That is because you do not understand, Estel. You never have." the blond archer said harshly. "I have tried to tell you that the power of the stone has made its way into my very soul. It has infused my entire being. I cannot just get over it, because you want me to."

"Don’t you dare say that you’ll die without it, Legolas. I refuse to accept that." He put his hand on the elf’s shoulder. "I may not understand the stone’s hold on you, mellon nin, but I know your heart. Stop thinking about the necklace and think about what surrounds you. Give yourself over to the call of Nature, the moon, the stars. Their voices are far stronger and far older than this stone. Listen to them."

In a sudden move that took the ranger totally by surprise, Legolas slammed the water skin he still held down into the water, not avoiding nor caring about the splash that wet his knees and face. He rose then and stared down at the human. "Do you not think I would do that, if I could?" he fairly shouted before walking away.

Aragorn closed his eyes, as he came to his feet. He hated to think of hurting his sensitive friend, but he knew deep down that being too gentle would do more harm than good. Still it was going to be very hard to be as rough as he would need to be. And the hardest part was not knowing if anything he did or said was even going to work.

Looking at the elf’s retreating back, he called out, "We will figure this out together, Legolas. I won’t leave you until you are free."

Legolas showed no reaction to those words but simply continued walking toward the camp.


TBC






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List