Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Birthday Surprises  by Baggins Babe

The soft light of a Spring morning filtered slowly across the fields and woods of the Shire as Aragorn made his way down to the mallorn. Golden-pink light dusted the vibrant leaves, which shimmered in a faint breeze. The silver bark was smooth beneath his fingers. He allowed the peace of the Shire to seep into his soul. He had spent his early life in the North, in the sheltered beauty of Rivendell and the wildness of Eriador, and he found the stone buildings and streets of the White City rather claustrophobic at times. He needed to be out in the wild, with wide horizons, trees, fields and open skies.

       The life force of the golden tree thrummed sympathetically, not unlike the White Tree in some ways but with a different note, another personality. He sat down with his back to it and opened himself to the nature of the tree and the warm homely peace of the countryside around him. He could feel those other mallorns, in Lorien and in the West, interconnected as all life is connected, part of Arda, the Valar, the power of Illuvatar. The blood of Westernesse flowed in his veins, filling him with an awareness of all life, all love. He breathed very deeply, rejoicing that this gift had been given to him.

                                                                          ************

       On his return up the Hill, Aragorn found little Violet Sandyman sitting on the bench near New Row. She was swinging her feet and watching the birds as they busied themselves with courtship and nestbuilding. In the fields at the end of the Row the puffs of creamy white which were Tully Noakes' sheep moved at a slow but steady pace as they cropped the grass.

       "Hello, Violet. May I join you?"

       The little lass nodded shyly. "Yes, Lord Estel." She moved a little to give the tall Man room to sit.

       For some moments they sat in companionable silence, then the child spoke, her head tilted as she gazed up into the face of the King.

       "Lord Estel, why is my da so nasty and unkind to us? Ellie's da is lovely and so is Mister Baggins. You're a da, aren't you? I'm sure you're nice to your little 'uns."

       "Yes, I love my children very much and I cannot imagine being cruel or hurtful to them. But there are those who feel insignificant and powerless and seek to boost their feelings about themselves by bullying those who are smaller and weaker. I suspect your father does not like himself very much. He likes feeling powerful but he has no real power. That is why he dislikes Sam and Frodo, and why he left the Shire when Sam became Mayor."

       Violet pondered this information thoughtfully. "Ma said he liked bullying when the Ruffians came. She said he stopped hitting her and my brothers and sister. I suppose that was when he was hitting everyone else instead." She glanced up and snuggled a little closer before adding confidingly, "I don't know why they got wed - he's never been nice. Grand-da Clem didn't want Ma to wed but Aunt Moss said they had to 'cause they'd put the cart before the horse, though I don't know what that has to do with anything."

       Aragorn Elessar, diplomat and King, hastily disguised his laughter as a cough and carefully schooled his expression. Bilbo had once referred to that as 'putting the afters before the soup' in a typically hobbity analogy.

       "All bullies enjoy wielding power. Sharkey was the same, and the Dark Lord himself."

       "You're powerful.You're the King but you don't bully people."

       "I was brought up to believe that with power comes responsibility. My adar - my father - taught me to wield power for the good of others."

       "He sounds nice, your da." Violet tucked herself under Aragorn's arm.

       "Lord Elrond was my foster father. My real father died when I was very young."

       "As young as me?"

       The King smiled. "I was only two when my father was killed by orcs. I was taken, with my mother, to Rivendell, where I forgot my real name for many years. It was put abroad that I had died of plague, for the Dark Lord was seeking me."

       "Your Mum must've been scared."

       Aragorn smiled. "She was scared for me once I began to go out with the Twins, and later with the Rangers. But she would never have tried to keep me in Rivendell. She accepted that I had a duty to our people. She was always relieved to see me come home again though."

       Violet absorbed this information. "I wish I had a proper da, but Ellie says I can borrow hers whenever I like. Do you think my da will ever change?"

       "I do not know, sweeting. People do change sometimes, but usually it takes a great shock for them to do so. I think it is possible for him to change his ways but he must want to. He must also stop drinking so much because that affects his behaviour."

       "Teddy won't drink at all because he's scared he'll be like da. He says he doesn't ever want to be like that."

       "I think your brother is very sensible and a nice lad. I doubt he will be like your father but he is wise to avoid strong drink."

       "Do you drink, Lord Estel?"

       "Only a little - normally!" He chuckled. "Drank far too much hobbit ale the other night, I must confess, but we just sang silly songs and laughed a lot. I drink a little wine sometimes and strong spirits very rarely. The Twins tricked me into drinking far too much when I was young and I regretted it very severely for two days. Since then I prefer not to be drunk That said, drink only brings out character traits which are there already. I suspect your da is bad-tempered even without any beer."

       "Captain Bergil says his da is fifty years old and Lord ....um.....Faramir is forty-six, and Mister Baggins says you're older than him, but you don't look it. Are you really that old?" She scrutinised his features for some minutes.

       "I'm much older. You see, Violet, my ancestors were given the gift of extra long life. I shall be a hundred next year."

       "Oh! I wanted you to be King for a long time."

       "By the grace of Eru I shall be King for a very long time - probably another hundred years or so. Don't worry, Violet, I'll be here for a while yet, keeping a close eye on the Shire and my favourite subjects, my dear hobbits."

       Violet wriggled and smiled up at him. "I'm glad. I hope you visit often." She stretched up and kissed his cheek.

       "Oh I shall, little one. The delights of the Shire and the wildness of the Northern lands will bring me home many times, I'm sure."

                                                                         *************

       "Hobbits know how to feast. They have been organising these events for weeks, although they did not know that everything was paid for by the King." Paladin chuckled. "We can now celebrate your being here, Lord Elessar, and show you how to throw a party."

       Aragorn glanced around at the assembled hobbits in the Party Field, the meat roasting over great fires, tables groaning with pies, pastries, cakes. "I discovered years ago that hobbits were very good company. And when I was a child of ten I watched enviously when Bilbo Baggins and a party of Dwarves caroused in Rivendell."

       "Just think - no-one believed his story when he returned to Hobbiton. Lobelia and Otho were furious. She tried to convince people that it wasn't Bilbo at all but an imposter. Can you imagine? Folk may not have believed his stories but everyone could see that it was Bilbo. Lobelia did not want to believe it because she was almost Mistress of Bag End." Saradoc helped himself to another tankard. "If she knew the current Mistress of Bag End was Tom Cotton's daughter she'd faint clean away!"

       "She always was an old snob," sniffed Eglantine, looking to Esme who nodded in confirmation. "What would she say about Sam being Mayor?"

       "Sam is an excellent Mayor - the best," said Frodo. "I think Lobelia might have accepted it graciously enough. She changed before she died, poor old thing."

       "I wish Ted Sandyman would change - preferrably into a toad!" muttered Merry. "He's the only one - well, him and the Bracegirdle Brothers!" He spat the name like a profanity. "We could put all three in a sack, throw it in the Brandywine and say 'There goes nothing!'"

       "Isn't that rather unkind to toads?" Frodo asked. "Sam likes toads. He's always chatting to them out in the garden, telling them to eat the bad insects. As for the Bracegirdles, Jago has them under very close watch at all times."

       "Good thing too. Murdo is devious and so low he could crawl under a snake with his hat on, and Marco is a thug. Uncle Pal says if they ever step out of line they will be on their way to Gondor so fast their feet will catch fire." Merry took another of Mrs Cotton's steak pies. "Sorry about the toads - I shouldn't say such things. Sam would be most displeased."

       "Tina and I had a chat with Ivy Sandyman earlier. I told her she has done the right thing in leaving him. The children are already recovering and with care so will she. No lass should be expected to put up with that sort of behaviour." Esme bounced little Pip on her lap and he made a lunge for the biscuit she was holding.

       "Emy!" he shouted.

       "There you are - Pip likes you," Frodo laughed. "That's the first proper thing he's said. Of course, he's after that biscuit, you know."

       Esme handed the baby the biscuit, which he sucked enthusiastically. "I seem to remember another little one demanding my biscuits whenever he sat on my knee," she said, smily slyly at Frodo.

       Merry spluttered. "Mum, you're embarrassing poor Fro."

       "Oh, it wasn't just Frodo who did that. You and Pippin did too - in fact Pippin nearly nose-dived to the floor several times when he saw food."

       "That certainly sounds like Pip!"

       Merry grinned as he turned to watch Aragorn greeting more hobbits, walking round the Party Field with that loping gait of his. "Stick-at-Naught-Strider indeed!"

       "Longshanks," muttered Sam with a smirk.

       "Just how many names does he have?" said Estella.

       "Too many, Mistress Estella," said Aragorn, appearing suddenly behind them. "Although 'Uncle Estel' is one of the nicest."

       Cornflower Bolger had thought she would be nervous around such imposing Men but was surprised to find herself talking quite easily, trying hard to remember Frodo's advice about speaking slowly and thinking before opening her mouth. Discovering that the Lord Estel was really the King had been a huge shock but she could not be afraid of this Man. He was kind, gentle and sympathetic, and he obviously loved Frodo like a brother. He was also enchanted by the hobbit children and asked if he could hold little Frodovacar, who was nine months old.

       "We wanted to name him after Frodo but Freddy managed to 'Bolger-ise' it after all."

       The King chuckled. "He's a bonny little lad, Mistress Cornflower."

       "He certainly likes his food, my lord. And he's taken to you, I must say. He does not normally go to strangers so easily." She watched the King cradle the baby gently, and the little lad gurgled and chortled. She had not thought that kings might be so ordinary, yet here was the High King of the Reunited Kingdom wiping dribble off a hobbit baby's chin and tickling the tiny feet with all the interest of a doting father.

       "My wife and the nursemaids grumble that sometimes I am the only one who can quiet my youngest daughter. I hope she is not leading them too much of a dance while I'm away."

       "They will be glad to see you safely home, my lord."

       "Yes, and I shall enjoy seeing them, but I love being here in the Shire. It is so green and peaceful, and the company of hobbits is a delight. I wish Gondor was a little closer."

       "I hope you will visit us again, with our lady Queen and the children. I have never seen the children of Men."

       "I shall indeed. The palace of Annuminas will be ready soon and I shall probably remain in the North for a year or two. I just need to make sure that Gondor will not be attacked in my absence, but that is less likely now that Rhun and Harad have made peace. Angmar here in the North is now under my protection and the evil which led to such disputes has long gone.Healing will take time but the process is underway."

       Cornflower looked across the Party Field to where Frodo was laughing uproariously at something Pippin had said. "He looks so well now. When I saw him at Pip and Merry's double wedding I really thought I would never see him again. He was so frail and distant, and I never saw him laugh like that, not for years."

       Aragorn sighed. "He suffered so much, and yet he wrote such cheerful letters that I convinced myself he was doing well. When Sam's letter arrived to say he was not expected to live I was beside myself. He did so much for all of Middle-earth and suffered such agonies of guilt and shame. His recovery is one of the greatest joys of my life." He led the way to Frodo's table.

       "Pip, you outrageous Took!" Frodo wiped his eyes and subsided, still giggling.

       "Care to share the joke, my dear friend?"

       "Oh, just Pip making very improper suggestions regarding Mrs Bracegirdle," Frodo managed to splutter.

       "Ah! She of the improbably large ..........er.... charms," Aragorn finished. His cousins were howling and even Legolas was grinning from ear to ear.

       The lady in question was advancing on them like a ship in full sail. "My lord King." She curtseyed, allowing Aragorn a view which gave him vertigo. Pip buried his face in Frodo's shoulder because he was almost hysterical and Merry was studiously pretending to look for something in the grass at his feet.

       "Good afternoon, dear lady," Aragorn murmured. He managed to ignore his sniggering cousins and friends and praised her famous steak and mushroom pie. They had a long discussion and she walked back to her family in a trance without even looking at Frodo.

       "Can you stay here? She's thoroughly smitten with you," Frodo said. "You're keeping her away from me."

       Aragorn grinned. "All I can say is that she must have extra strong stay laces. I should ask where she buys them. We could use those as oliphaunt tethers in the menagerie!"

       At this point everyone was treated to the sight of the future Thain snorting ale out of his nose.

                                                                          ************

       "Tell us one of your adventures!" the children - and a good many of the grown-ups - begged.

       "I don't think we've ever heard the full story of your journey to Mirkwood with Gollum," said Merry. Sam scowled and he added hastily, "If that's alright with you, Fro?"

       Frodo grinned and helped himself to a slice of cake. "I'd like to hear about it. Dragging him all the way to Mirkwood can't have been easy."

       Aragorn shuddered. "It wasn't! I have had few more unpleasant tasks, and I called Gandalf a number of very uncomplimentary names during the journey. I tracked Gollum for a very long time through the Dead Marshes. He knew every inch of that hellish place but I had been there before and was not unfamiliar with it. I tried to keep downwind of him - I could tell where he was because I could smell him, just as you could in the Emyn Muill, Sam. He could disappear for hours and I never knew where he went to, but he always popped up again. In the end I forged ahead and made a snare in the rough grass, and then had to hope that he would go that way. There was a little sheltered pool which I thought he might like. I was right, and the snare worked, grabbing his ankle. You should have heard the cursing and snarling! I had spent a lot of time with soldiers, mercenaries, pirates and all sorts of rough characters but I heard words that day that I have never heard before or since. I had to throw a rope round him, trying to avoid those awful teeth! A bite from him could have resulted in poisoning of the blood - not something I wanted to suffer out in the wilds!"

       "So Frodo might have suffered that if we hadn't been brought out of Mordor so soon after the bite?" Sam asked.

       "I'm sure he would. Gollum's few remaining teeth were very dirty as well as very sharp. I made sure he had no chance to bite me - although he tried, many times. I tied him up and drove him hard and far. I made him travel during the day whenever it was safe, which he hated. He would mutter about the 'Yellow Face' and curse horribly. I'm afraid I was not gentle with him, and we travelled at speed. Fortunately he was so exhausted when we did stop that he slept - probably more than I did. I had to keep him tethered, and if I dozed I tied him to a tree with an extra rope tied to me. If he could have freed himself he would have torn my throat out with his teeth, I have no doubt."

       Legolas had been listening intently. "He tried to attack one or two of his guards in Mirkwood but of course they were too quick for him. He alternated between snarling hatred and whining self-pity and endeared himself to no-one."

       Radagast was sitting quietly, puffing his pipe and listening to the story of Gollum. He had heard it before, from his friend Gandalf, who related everything during their last meeting, two months before Gandalf sailed. He studied Frodo carefully, wanting to see his reaction.

       Sam nodded. "He was like that - and I were none too gentle with him myself at times. I always suspected him of being up to something." He looked at Frodo. "I should have been kinder."

       "No, Sam. You were protecting me. And I doubt Gollum knew how to be anything but devious and sneaky. He had been buried away in that cave of his for five hundred years, lurking in wait for the odd goblin and becoming more and more warped. That would turn anyone peculiar, and I don't think he was ever a very nice creature, even before the Ring took him."

       Radagast agreed. "Gandalf said that Gollum murdered his friend within minutes of seeing the Ring. The Ring was not fully awake and was miles from Its Master, therefore I suspect that Gollum had those capabilities inside him already."

       Mr Cotton topped up the King's tankard and Aragorn smiled his thanks before continuing. "I was very relieved when I met up with Gandalf again and we were able to question Gollum. Not that this was an easy task, for he had been put to the question in Mordor and was not too distressed by our relatively tame interrogation. In the end Gandalf had to threaten him and reveal some of his power, but even then there was a greater fear on Gollum and he would not reveal everything. He did tell us something of the finding of the Ring and of Deagol, but by then I doubt he could distinguish truth from lies. His mind was completely ruined by five hundred years of contact with that thing. It was strange," he mused. "After seeing him I was torn between pity and revulsion, and I think that is how we all felt, all of us who encountered him?"

       "Exactly. Bilbo said that and I didn't really understand until I met him myself. He was pitiable but there was a side to him which disgusted me too, particularly when I realised that if I wasn't careful I would end up in a similar state." Frodo shuddered slightly.

       "I wasn't going to allow that," Sam muttered, and Frodo laughed and flung an arm round his friend's shoulders.

       "Dear Sam. You didn't allow it either, did you? You kept me sane with your stories and honest hobbit-sense."

       Merry, on Sam's other side, reached out and clasped one strong tanned hand. "Thank the Valar for Sam!"

       "Hear, hear!" Pip stood and stretched. "All this talking's made me hungry. I think it's time we had some more food. Come along, Mer." He started for the table and the stack of pasties.

       "What do you mean? You haven't been doing any talking!" Merry returned.

       "Alright, alright. Listening has made me hungry,"

       "Everything makes you hungry, Pip," said Frodo cheerfully, leaning over and helping himself. Mrs Cotton made the best pasties in the Shire.

       Radagast sighed contentedly and relit his pipe. "This is the most delightful experience I have ever had - no wonder Olorin said that everyone should have a hobbit or two in his care."

       "He said we were unquenchable - and incorrigible!" added Pip proudly.

       "He said you were a fool of a Took!" Merry replied, than dodged and ran round the Party Tree as Pip chased after him.

       "The Wise wouldn't be wise for very long if they had to put up with these two!" said Frodo, chuckling as he watched their antics.

                                                                          ************

       As dusk fell and the lanterns were lit, musicians began to play and hobbits started dancing, encouraging their guests to join them. Tarondor found himself dancing with Eglantine Took. He never ceased to be amazed at the enthusiasm and sheer joy in life which the hobbits displayed.

       "I shall be sorry to leave," murmured Faramir, gazing out over the darkening fields. "This place is so special. Now I understand why Frodo was willing to sacrifice so much to protect it."

       Aragorn nodded, tamping down the weed in his pipe. "Imagine how he felt on arriving home and finding it in ruins. No wonder he nearly broke under the weight of guilt and grief."

       "And blessings upon the Lady Galadriel for granting Sam the means to heal the damage," said Halboron.

       "Indeed. Otherwise there would still be massive scars upon this land. As it is the trees have shot up, the crops are abundant and the Shire is green and beautiful again.

       "Don't forget that it was Sam's common-sense and generosity which led him to share the Lady's gift with the whole Shire." Frodo smiled fondly as he watched Sam dancing with Rose, their faces glowing with joy and with love for each other.

       "He is quite remarkable. I'm sure many have said so but it's true," said Will Whitfoot. "He has a grasp of affairs and a knack for dealing with problems and disputes which is astonishing. I suspect he learned much from you, my lord Elessar."

       "He returned full of wisdom and confidence. That shy gardener's lad I met in Bree so long ago was transformed. The best way to put anything to the trial is to test it in the fires, like a sword. The weak will break but the finest will emerge stronger and more beautiful than ever. So it was with our Travellers. All four were tempered in the fires and are stronger and finer than before."

       "Even me?" Frodo queried. "I thought I broke in those fires."

       "No, my friend. You endured the fiercest flames of all and were seared to the core, yet now you are full of strength and great wisdom." Aragorn smiled into Frodo's eyes and the hobbit hugged his friend. Their wordless embrace touched all who saw it.

       "Alas! Tomorrow we must depart for Bree and a return to everyday life. I shall keep these few days in my heart." Halboron sighed regretfully.

       "You'll be back!" Frodo laughed. "You'll be calling at the new Shirriff and Ranger post for a few meals, I'm sure!"

       Merry smirked. "And I reckon we can feed you if you turn up on the doorstep in Crickhollow or at the Hall."

       Rose sat down with them. "You won't starve on the journey back. I've made fruitcake for everyone and there's bottled fruit, jam and pickles."

       "Rose, you are a queen among hobbits. Those pickles are a miracle - and the fruitcake beyond price."

       "Get along with you, flatterer! Just make sure you don't eat the batch I'm sending to Edoras. Poor Lothiriel could do with a treat, I daresay, especially if she's eating for two."

       "Come along!" bawled Pippin loudly. "I'm not playing this mandolin so you can all laze about! There's dancing to be done."

       The King stood and bowed to Rose. "May I have the pleasure of this dance, my lady?"

       Rose curtseyed. "You may, my lord."

       Sam took Elanor and Frodo offered his hand to little Violet, and they joined the throng beneath the mallorn. The morrow would bring partings, but hearts joined in love would never truly part, and the distance between Gondor and the Shire was as a step for the ever-growing Fellowship.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List