Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Birthday Surprises  by Baggins Babe

Drawn by the noise from the parlour, the three Elves entered the smial and walked silently to the doorway. The sight which met their eyes was amazing, to say the least. The High King, both Stewards, Halboron and Bergil were crawling around on their knees, being horses for little hobbits. Beregond held baby Pip securely on Halboron's back while the tiny lad squealed with delight; Frodo-lad was riding Faramir, Rosie-lass had attached herself to Tarondor and Ellie claimed the King to be Shadowfax, lord of horses. Merry-lad was on Bergil's back, squeezing his heels into the young man's sides and yelling, "Gee-up, horsey!"

       Gimli glanced up as the three appeared. "If the Lord Chamberlain and the Warden of the Keys could see their King now they would need reviving with burnt feathers and strong drink!"

       Aragorn smiled up at the Elves. "It would do both those gentlemen a power of good to come here and play with little hobbits. What a wonderful way to spend a morning!" He allowed his rider to pat him on the head and feed him a piece of apple, and tried not to laugh out loud at the dazed expressions on the three fair faces.

       Sam arrived to announce that breakfast was ready. Riders dismounted at great speed and hurtled down the passage to the dining-room, where platters of bacon, mushrooms, sausages and toast were waiting.

       Sam halted his children. "No matter how hungry you are, you must see to your horses first, you know."

       The little ones squirmed in impatience. "Aaaaawwwww! But Sam-dad.............."

       "No buts!" Sam held up his hand. "When you have livestock they must come first, and they have to be rubbed down and fed before you can eat."

       "That is very true, my little ones," said Aragorn, crouching down. "But on this occasion we will waive the convention, or the Elves and Gimli and your uncle will have eaten all our breakfast!"

       "I wish you never had to go back to Gondor, Uncle Estel," said Frodo-lad, taking the Man's hand.

       "My children said exactly the same thing to your parents and Uncle Frodo. Believe me, lad, if I could move the capital to Hobbiton, I would. But the Shire is not the place for hordes of visiting traders and diplomats. I want this place to remain a haven, so I know life here goes on in peace. But don't worry, for there will be many visits between our families. We are linked in love."

                                                                          ************

       From the roof of Bag End the view of Boromir's memorial garden was perfect. There were tall grasses in dark red, bronze and even black, which grew against the back wall and along the banks of the little spring. The predominant colour was red, with tulips at the back of the beds and wallflowers covering the rest and filling the air with a sweet perfume. In the centre, planted in white jonquils and narcissi, was the outline of the White Tree.

       "Sam, this is beautiful! You've gone to so much trouble and the effect is amazing." Faramir was touched.

       "We wanted to do something fitting. I hope Lord Boromir would have approved."

       "I think he would be overwhelmed to know he is remembered, and in such a way. He was no gardener but he did have an eye for beauty. Sometimes he would stop and admire the orchards full of blossom, and he loved the smell of flowers. I used to tease him that he should be able to smell nothing but horse and leather, but he had a keen sense of smell. It was why he was so good at detecting orcs."

       The went into the garden, to examine it more closely. The planting had been well-planned and the grasses and ornamental trees gave colour throughout the winter. The water trickled and gurgled over rocks and tumbled over a small waterfall into a pool in another garden.

       "The memorial to poor Smeagol. Lots of irises, and lots of frogs. Young Elboron would love it!" said Frodo.

       The irises were just coming into flower, in an astonishing variety of colours. Ahead of them as they walked, frogs bounced out of the grass and plopped into the pond with a series of splashes, then popped up to stare at the visitors.

       "It is sweet that he is remembered, for he helped to destroy the Ring, albeit unwittingly. I doubt he was ever a nice creature, even before the Ring was found, for he killed his friend within minutes of seeing it, but he paid the heaviest price one can imagine," Aragorn mused.

       "Yes, and deep inside Gollum there was still a trace of Smeagol."

       "I cannot help but feel guilty, Frodo, since he reverted back after we captured him." Faramir looked troubled.

       "It wasn't your fault. Gollum was always there, just under the surface. The slightest thing, the tiniest perceived insult, and there he was. It was like dealing with a child who is not right in the head, but with incredible strength. Gollum always intended to lead us to Shelob. Smeagol was less sure, but Gollum was the stronger character. It must have been almost impossible to fight him after so many years. I was afraid the same sort of thing would happen to me - that inside Frodo Baggins was some sort of Gollum-creature who would force me to do evil things."

       Aragorn enfolded Frodo in a fierce embrace. "Thankfully Frodo Baggins was too strong and pure for that to happen. Gandalf was almost sure such a thing would not occur with you, but a tiny part of him feared what might emerge when you were brought out of Mordor. It was his worst nightmare, he said, although he only spoke of it once. It was the only time I ever saw him really weep."

       "Poor Gandalf. I wish he could see us now, all together like this."

       "Do you not think he sees, muindor nin? He is a Maiar, and his thoughts often turn to Middle-earth, particularly the Shire and those he holds most dear. And they say there is an all-seeing stone there too. I would be willing to wager the fortunes of both my kingdoms that Gandalf knows all about this visit, and is chuckling away, puffing on his pipe and drinking ale if he can get it. With the Valar he will be Olorin, to the Elves he is Mithrandir, but Gandalf was the part he most enjoyed. He is with us in spirit, I have no doubt."

       "You're right. I miss him sometimes. Just to see those great bushy eyebrows of his, and the way they always seemed to knit together when he was about to bawl at Pip."

       "That's right - and the fireworks...........," Sam added wistfully. "I wish we could see those again. Who made those fireworks in Gondor last year, Strider?"

       "Gandalf shared that knowledge with a few of us before he departed. I pestered him once and he told me how they can be made."

       "It would have been nice to have some for this birthday, wouldn't it, Sam?" Frodo smiled at his friend.

       "It would have. I wish the children could see 'em."

       Aragorn and Faramir exchanged a grin and Elladan whispered something to his brother.

       "Come along, it's time for elevenses, and we said we'd introduce you to Tully." Frodo led the way round to the kitchen, where plates of sandwiches and a tray of warm gingerbread hobbits were waiting.

                                                                         ************

       The group walked along New Row and continued to the end of the lane, where there was a stile. The field beyond was full of sheep and lambs, and a figure could be seen sitting on a low wall, his dogs at his feet.

       "Tully! Tully!" Sam called, waving to the shepherd. Tully waved back and made his way down the slope towards them.

       "Morning, sirs. Morning Mister Frodo, Mister Mayor." He bowed to the Men and Elves. "Tully Noakes at your service, and your families'."

       Introductions were made and he shook hands with them all. He was a stout figure in cord breeches and a dark blue smock. Under the brim of a battered hat his face was like a winter apple, brown with rosy cheeks, and his brown eyes almost disappeared when he laughed, which he did frequently.

       "Mister Noakes, those are extremely fine sheep. I gather that much of the wool we import in Gondor is from your sheep, and I'm not surprised."

       Tully beamed. Any compliment to his beloved animals made him happy. "They are that. Very fine soft wool - a lot of it goes to make the best quality material - riding cloaks for high-born ladies, so I'm told."

       "Indeed. The Queen of Gondor has riding cloaks made from it," Aragorn replied.

       "I've heard she's the most beautiful woman in Middle-earth. Is that true, sir?"

       "Oh yes, that is certainly true." Aragorn smiled and looked down at the little lamb who was bouncing round the shepherd. "What is that on the little one's back? It looks like brown paper or parchment."

       "I suppose it is, sir. Y'see, that old ewe over there had two lambs a'ready when she gave birth to him. She was fair capped wi' the first two but she didn't want to know this little lad. I tried to get her to take him but she wouldn't have it, so I took him home with me for the night. I'm a silly sentimental old fool, or at least that's what some folks say, so I tucked him up and fed him goat's milk, kept looking in on him. The next morning I brought him back, tucked inside my jacket, and that's when I found this ewe here trying to give birth. She had one big lamb and it was stuck, and when it was born it was dead. Tried to make it breathe but I reckon it had been gone too long. I got my son to take the ewe away a bit and I skinned the dead lamb and tied the skin round this little fella. When I pushed him under her nose she sniffed him all over and washed him, and I could see she were letting him feed 'cos his tail was twirling round. Now she thinks he's hers and won't let him out of her sight."

       Aragon laughed. "I have done something similar with orphan kittens and puppies, mostly by rubbing food on their heads. If the mother is fairly good-natured it usually works."

       "Reckon I'll keep this 'un anyway. He's out of Farmer Cotton's prize ram, the one what wins prizes every year at all the fairs. He might win prizes himself one day, I'm thinking."

       "Your dogs must be a great help to you, Mister Noakes," said Faramir.

       "Difficult being a shepherd without a good dog, sir. They keep the sheep from straying, watch over them if I have a nap after lunch, and find them if they've managed to get into trouble. Takes a while to train them but they earn their keep, and the pups learn from their parents."

       "I see you have several different types of sheep."

       "Aye. Some are from Farmer Cotton's ram and the black-faced ones are from my cousin Harry's best one. Don't like to inbreed too much 'cos it ain't good for 'em."

       Tarondor leaned over the fence and scratched one woolly head. "They look in excellent condition."

       "I believe they should be kept in the best condition, fed the best grass, and when the time comes they should be killed quickly and painlessly, away from the others. I hate seeing 'em driven for miles before they're slaughtered. Most farmers in the Shire - the good ones anyway - feel much the same. Farmer Cotton looks after his livestock. That pet pig of his eats better than many poor folks in other parts of the world. Are you planning to call on him, gentlemen?"

       "I hope so. I should love to see the place where Mistress Rose grew up."

       "Oh, she's allus been a caution. Such a clever little lass, and she liked to come and see the lambs. She was good at looking after the orphans on her father's farm and she used to come and help my wife sometimes, if we were a bit snowed under with lambs."

       "Mistress Rose seems to be a remarkable person in all respects," said Halboron.

       "Young Sam certainly did the sensible thing, asking her to marry him. Never thought he'd pluck up the courage, but he came back from that journey a different hobbit." He glanced sideways at Frodo's hands, which were clasped together and resting on top of the fence rail. "Bless me, Mister Frodo, but you do have lambing hands! There are times when I wish my hands were smaller, when the little rascals get all tangled up inside their mothers. My daughter's quite good but these days I call on Dulcie, Totty's wife. She has tiny little hands and she's patient at sorting out the muddles."

       "I've watched lambs being born but I've never had to intervene, thankfully. I wouldn't know what to do."

       "You said you didn't know anything about helping babies into the world either, but you delivered little Pip." Sam winked at Frodo.

       "Will you be at Sam's party, Mr Noakes?" Legolas asked.

       "I will that. Wouldn't miss such a thing. It should be the best for years, certainly since Mister Bilbo's famous party. You ain't planning on disappearing, are you, Sammy?"

       "Not on my list of things to do. No-one's shifting me from my family - though I enjoy visiting other places."

       "Do they have sheep in Gondor?" Tully asked, curious.

       "Yes, there is a lot of farmland outside the city and in Ithilien, as well as elsewhere in Gondor, and we raise sheep and produce some wool, but the pastureland is not as rich as here in the Shire. I imagine you can raise more sheep per acre than we can." Aragorn leaned over the gate and lifted the little lamb he had been stroking. The creature settled in his arms and lifted its head to look at him.

       When Tully returned to his flock the party turned and walked back along New Row. In the garden of Number One, Rufus was crouched before a plump calico cat who was washing his head while pinning him down with a paw.

       "Your lady-friend giving you a wash, Rufus?" Halboron enquired.

       "That's his mother. Like all mothers, she never thinks he's done a good enough job of washing behind his ears," Frodo chuckled. "Her name is Sweet-Pea and she belongs to Widow Rumble."

       Little Violet Sandyman watched the group, her eyes wide. Ellie had told her about the visitors and she was intrigued because she had never seen an Elf before. She had seen the Lord Steward in Bree once or twice and was over-awed because he seemed so tall, and now she could see that one of the other Men was even taller.

       "Hello Violet," Frodo said gently. "Are you coming up to play with Ellie later?"

       The child looked up shyly. "Ma said I shouldn't because you have visitors and it wouldn't be ......polite."

       "Don't you worry about that. Come along after lunch - I know Ellie would like to see you and our visitors won't mind."

       "Fank you, Mister Baggins." She bobbed a little curtsey at the rest.

       Tarondor smiled. "She's looking less terrified. I remember the family in Bree, the older daughter haggard and nervous and that little one hiding in her mother's skirts. They stood out because most hobbits are friendly and cheerful."

       "Ted has a lot to answer for. And he'll blame everyone else - probably Sam and me - for them leaving. He won't face up to the fact that he's driven them away with his drunken cruelty and intimidation. He likes power over others because it makes him feel better about himself." Frodo sighed.

       "The same can be said for all who crave domination over others," said Aragorn. "Sauron knew he was loathed by all good and sensible people as well as by the Valar, so exerting power over those weaker than himself gave him some sense of self-worth. Saruman wielded power over Rohan because he knew his power over the White Council was diminishing. The Lady saw through him and wanted Gandalf to take over, because she knew Gandalf would not mis-use the position. When his hold over Rohan was broken he turned to the Shire instead."

       "Is it really true that the original Elendilmir was found in Isengard?" asked Sam as they sat on the grass and lit pipes. "Should have asked you before but what with the ruffians and marrying Rose and all, it completely went out of my head. I know you searched Isengard before you went South again."

       "Yes, we found it there - which suggests that Saruman searched the Anduin for Isildur's remains, since we know he was wearing it when the party was ambushed - and we also found a small box designed to hold a ring on a chain.........."

       "What a horrible idea!" Frodo exclaimed. "He not only wanted the Ring for himself but he searched the river and took the Elendilmir from Isildur's body. That is disgusting! How terrible that one of the Maiar could fall so low."

       "I am sorry we do not know where he found the body, or what he did with it. It would have been nice to bury Isildur properly and give him the funeral he never had." Aragorn offered his striker to Frodo, who lit his pipe and puffed reflectively.

       "The Ring absolutely hated Sam," he said quietly. Sam looked up but did not seem surprised.

       "No more than I hated it for what it was doing to you, m'dear. It tried whispering to me a few times, both before and after I carried it, but I just thought of Bag End and Frodo and flowers and wall-building, and it shut up. Reckon it went into a right sulk."

       Frodo almost rolled into a ball he was laughing so hard. "A sulk?! Oh me! that is so typical of Sam. Yes, I suppose it did. It hated Sam because it could not find a way to get through - you were like a stone wall yourself, my dear Sam."

       "Sam Gamgee don't listen to jumped-up bits of jewellery, no matter who speaks through 'em. I knew that whatever it said it didn't mean, so I ignored it."

       Tarondor and Halboron glanced at each other. "I am in awe, Sam. You ignored and refused what few in Middle-earth could ever have done. I would not, could not have held out against it," said the Steward of Arnor softly.

       "Nor I," said Aragorn. "Sam and Frodo managed to resist it, Frodo because of his purity and innocence and Sam because he was armed with a great love and selfless devotion to Frodo. Neither could have achieved the Quest alone, but together they were more powerful than Sauron could ever have imagined."

       "Sometimes the seemingly small and insignificant can achieve more than the great. After all, does it not take but one grain of sand to make a pearl?" said Elrohir with a smile.

       Sam agreed. "Ah, and it only takes one small weed seed and the whole garden can be covered in no time."

       Everyone chuckled at Sam bringing everything back to gardening, and they went inside to help prepare lunch.

                                                                          ************

       Over an informal lunch in the garden, the residents of Bag End explained more about Tully Noakes and his family.

       "Tully's wife died some years ago - she had a weak heart. They married young because Poppy managed to persuade her parents that she might not have very long and wanted to know the joys of marriage and motherhood in the time left to her. Totty was twenty and Prudence eighteen when their mother died, and she told them it had been worth it." Rose doled out more mushrooms for everyone.

       Frodo nodded. "Then they suffered more heartache during the troubles. Prudence was married to Cotman Carter by then and expecting her first child. When her pains began they asked Totty to go for the midwife. He hurried down to fetch Amber Goodbody but she was out at another confinement the other side of Bywater. Garnet Tunnelly was just finishing her apprenticeship then so she accompanied Totty back, but by then it was dark and a group of ruffians stopped them and asked why they were breaking the curfew. When they explained, the ruffians beat Totty quite badly, and hauled Garnet off to the Lockholes. Totty managed to crawl back home but there was no help for his sister."

       "What happened?" asked Aragorn, snuggling Rosie-lass in his lap.

       "The baby was eventually born but she had been starved of air for too long and her arm was dislocated very severely. By the time Doctor Aldo and the midwife arrived the next day the damage was already done. Poor little Columbine, she's such a sweet little thing, and she is starting to learn her letters but she's a bit slow, and the arm is badly withered. I think Porto wrote to you about exercises for her, and they do seem to be helping."

       "That is terrible! Yet another thing to lay at Saruman's door - and ultimately Sauron's." Aragorn looked saddened. "I hope they don't hide the child away?"

       Sam grinned. "You seriously don't think Frodo would allow that, do you? He talked them into bringing her to our wedding, and everyone was so taken with her that they've not hidden her away since."

       "I'm sorry to say that Lotho did nothing to stop that sort of thing, although I don't know how much control he had over the ruffians by then. After all, they put his own mother in the Lockholes."

       "Prudence and Cotman have two other children now, and they adore their sister. Little Columbine loves spending time in the fields with her grand-da - Tully says she's a natural shepherd - and Gilly Rumble is giving her extra tuition." Rose intervened in a scuffle between Merry-lad and his brother.

       "Gilly Rumble? Daughter of Widow Rumble?"

       "Yes, that's right. The youngest daughter. Not married, very studious lass. She is going to be one of the principal teachers at the new school. Oh! you must see the school - it's almost finished." Frodo looked and sounded very excited, and everyone smiled to see his enthusiasm. "I know, I never stop going on about the schools, but I think it's so important."

       "I've asked Porto to drop by - told him he'd meet a couple of old friends. I thought if he saw you in the village or the inn, he might blurt out who you are, so I told him to come along after lunch." Sam re-dressed a squawking Merry-lad and sat him on his knee.

       "I shall enjoy seeing his face when he realises we're here," said Aragorn, smoothing little Rosie's curls as she slumbered in his arms. "The Master of the Houses was very fond of him - said he was a quick learner and always open to new ideas."

       "Such a contrast to his father, who was a real stick-in-the-mud," Rose commented, handing round slices of coffee and walnut cake. The hobbits were not keen on coffee as a drink - except Pippin, who liked it and drank it while in Gondor - but they did use it in cooking. It grew in Harad and parts of Rhun, and Aragorn sent some to the Shire regularly.

       "Ah, so this is what you do with the coffee I send you, Rose," he said. "This is superb - please include this recipe in your collection. I don't believe the Citadel's cooks have made cakes with it. They do make that delectable dessert with sponge cake and cream though."

       "Oh yes, I've made that too. Soaking the sponge in wine or brandy makes it even better."

       "I imagine it does. You see, cousins, the hobbits can improve on any known recipe and any cuisine found in Middle-earth."

       "I have never eaten food like this anywhere else," Tarondor agreed.

       Gimli nodded. "I shall take a copy of your cookbook back to Erebor, Rose, and another to Aglarond, and insist that they try these dishes."

       Even the Elves thought a copy of the Shire's first cookbook would be an outstandingly useful addition to the libraries of Imladris and the Greenwood, and the large cake disappeared in seconds without the use of any magic whatsoever.

                                                                          ************

       "Come in, Porto." Frodo opened the door and Sam ushered the young doctor into the parlour where Gimli, Legolas, Beregond and Bergil were sitting.

       "My lord Gimli! Prince Legolas! Captain Beregond and Captain Bergil! I did not expect to see you here. How are you all?"

       "We are well, master physician. These are the lord of Imladris, sons of Lord Elrond and brothers to our lady Queen." Legolas introduced the Twins, who bowed.

       "Meet the Lord Steward of Arnor, laddie," added Gimli, beckoning Tarondor in. "And his brother, the Lord Halboron, both cousins of the King."

       "Porto Bindlimb at your service, and your family's. You are very like the King, I must say."

       "We are also bear something of a resemblance to this scamp," said Tarondor, laughing as Aragorn poked his head round the door.

       "My lord King! But.........but........how come you here? I had not heard that you were here."

       "Nay, I'm as here as Thorongil. We thought we should see you as you would realise, and we don't want the Shire-folk to know yet. The Thain will probably announce my true identity at the end of our visit, but I wished to see the Shire-folk as they are, not standing on ceremony or over-awed in any way."

       "It is a joy to see you again, sire. I am glad I have had warning or I might have given the game away when I saw you at the party." Porto embraced the King.

       "Or strolling round Bywater, or drinking in the Green Dragon, as we hope to do this evening. There is one more in our party." Aragorn called Faramir in, and the Steward greeted the doctor warmly.

       "Doctor Porto, you look well. How is life in the Shire suiting you? Everyone we have seen has looked disgustingly healthy."

       "I'm happy to say that most Hobbiton and Bywater residents are very well, my lord Prince. We have had few serious illnesses and only an occasional case of inoperable conditions. The Lady's blessing seems to have been partly responsible for this state of affairs, for which I give thanks daily."

       "Then I hope you will be able to join us this evening. We shall dine at the Ivy Bush, giving Rose a much-needed break from mass catering, and then we move on to the Green Dragon, where we hope to learn all the verses to 'Nineteen Nights in Nobottle' and any other ditties we should know about."

       Porto raised his eyebrows and a mischievous smile tweaked his mouth. "Including Verse Seventy-One?"

       "I certainly hope so!" said Faramir. "See? Even you know about it!"

       "Patience, my friend. I suspect we shall learn all about it tonight." Aragorn was amused at his Steward's eagerness to learn the lyrics of the Shire's most vulgar drinking-song.

        "And come home singing all seventy-nine verses I shouldn't wonder," said Rose.

       "Not in the presence of a lady, my dear Rose," Aragorn protested, looking as innocent as possible.

       "I know all the words anyway," she said casually. "I've got four brothers!"

       "We'll have tea and then get ourselves ready. You'll join us, Porto?" asked Sam.

       "With the greatest pleasure. I would not have missed this for anything."

       The hobbits ate sandwiches and cake while the Men and Elves contented themselve with tea. Having eaten their fill, everyone changed and the large and merry group set off in the direction of Hobbiton and the Bywater Road.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List