Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

On Border Patrol  by Manderly

See Chapter 1 for disclaimer.

Chapter 6 - Orcs and Men

There was no moon this night, and the forest was bathed in a myriad of shadows of varying darkness. Darkness, however, had never been a hindrance to the elven sight. The two warriors, nearly invisible to the naked eyes in the canopy of branches and leaves, watched the procession of dark creatures as they trampled through the forest grounds. The trees hummed mournfully and trembled in protest at this repugnant pillage of their once pristine domain.

Feeling the quivering branch beneath him, Legolas reached out and placed his hand against the smooth trunk, offering soundless words of serenity to sooth the distress of his arboreal perch. The quivering stilled under his calming touch, but the tension remained both in the tree and elf.

Several of the dark creatures suddenly stopped and looked about suspiciously. Instantly, Legolas' grip on his bow tightened and he reached behind for an arrow. Hesin reached out and gripped his arm lightly. Legolas turned to the older warrior and saw the slight shake of the other's head. Lowering his hand from the quiver, Legolas turned his attention to the vile creatures below.

"The trees are no longer moving," one of the creatures said.

"The wind has stopped," his companion offered.

The first creature shook his head. "There is no wind tonight and yet the trees move." He sniffed loudly. "There is a stench in the air. The cursed elves are close."

"Of course there is a stench. It is where we are heading. We will not get there if we tarry here much longer."

"Something is not right," the first creature protested. "There is evil in these trees. We should retreat to the others. I fear there is ambush ahead."

"No. That is not our order. We will not go back until we have the information needed, unless you no longer value your head. Now cease this foolishness and let us get going before we are left behind." Without waiting for the other's reply, the creature hurried after the main group, followed closely by the other three who had also stopped.
The suspicious one remained where he was, peering at the darkness around him. Legolas held his breath and forced himself not to reach for his arrows again. Hesin did not move beside him. With another loud sniff, the remaining creature at last took off after his companions.

Once the creatures were out of sight, Legolas released the breath that he had been holding and flexed his cramped fingers. He glared at the darkness that had swallowed the last of the orcs, wrinkling his nose at the foulness of the air left in their wake. Indignation flared hotly through him. Stench of elves, indeed!

"Should we not go after them?" Legolas asked Hesin, eager to deal with those loathsome creatures that had so readily insulted his kind.

The other elf shook his head. "We go pass them, to get to back to the others. There are too many of them and only two of us. Come, we must hurry!"

Silently, the two elves sprang with haste through the trees, moving in a wide arc from the path last taken by their enemies. Soon, a familiar whistle sounded, signaling the proximity of their group. Hesin let out a responding whistle through the night air. Moments later, they found themselves reunited with the rest of their party.

"Orcs are heading this way," Hesin wasted no time in reporting to Bainion. "There are about thirty of them, and their destination is the main camp. I believe they are on a scouting mission, rather than out for confrontation. One of them spoke of getting information back to another group."

Bainion nodded. "We will stop them. Arphen, Tithernon I want you two to head back in that direction and try to draw them back here. Signal when you are near. The rest of us will take our position in the trees and wait for them. Go quickly!" Then turning to the remaining elves, he ordered curtly. "Into the trees, now. Do not fire your arrows until I give the signal."

Hesin touched Legolas' sleeve lightly. "Stay close to me."

Bainion turned sharply to the two elves. "No, I want all of you to spread out. Take up your position in separate trees. I want to be able to surround those creatures when they come."

"But --" Hesin protested and was immediately cut off by his lieutenant.
"That is my order and I expect it to be obeyed. There are only eight of us to deal with thirty of the enemy. We have neither the luxury nor time to cater to warriors who cannot fend for themselves." His eyes were unwavering on Legolas as he spoke. "Anybody who cannot stand on his own out here has no place among real warriors."

Legolas flushed and had to bite back words of angry protest at the blatant implication. Drawing in a deep breath, he turned to Hesin. "It is all right, Hesin. I can fend for myself." Without another word, he sought out a tree for his refuge and quickly made his way toward it.

For a brief moment, Hesin regarded Bainion. "Those are not Lord Feren's orders."

"Lord Feren is not in command of this group right now. I am in command and you would be wise not to forget that. I will not risk lives of the other warriors simply to coddle an inexperienced elfling who has reached where he is now simply because of his connections. I have no time for further arguments. Get into position now!"

Hesin pressed his lips into a thin line as he nodded curtly. "Yes, Lieutenant."

He turned and chose a tree that was closest to the one where Legolas had stationed himself and scaled it in a few easy moves. From where he was, he could make out the younger elf behind the foliage of greens. He was not nearly close enough to divert any wayward arrows, he thought with helpless frustration. He could only hope that the young elf would stay within the trees and not expose himself recklessly to danger. His thoughts turned grimmer still when he recalled the last time that they had positioned themselves as thus in the trees. Legolas had nearly been killed then. He shook his head with determination. It was not going to happen again.

The signal from the scouting elves came sooner than they had expected, followed almost immediately by the noisy appearance of the first of the orcs. Hesin readied his bow and afforded himself a brief glance in Legolas' direction. The young elf's gaze was intent on the dark creatures that were now filtering through the trees, his bow poised unerringly for the first release.

Then Bainion's signal sounded and the night air was suddenly filled with the silent, deadly missiles, followed by welcome grunts of pain from their enemies. The orcs that had been in the back of the group quickly scattered, some seeking refuge behind trees while others scampered back in the direction from which they came.
Legolas swung his bow around in search for his next target and found that the remaining orcs were either now hidden or beyond his range for a clear shot. He threw a glance toward the tree where he knew Bainion was positioned and fought back the instinct to drop to the ground to continue the fight. Why was Bainion holding back on the signal for the ground battle? Surely he could see that some of the orcs were getting away?

After what seemed an eternity, the signal at last sounded and Legolas dropped nimbly from his perch onto the ground, and without hesitation, ran in the direction in which the orcs had taken in flight, deposing swiftly the enemies along the way with his knives. Out of the corner of his eyes, he could see Hesin keeping pace with him. The two elves plunged deeper into the woods after the fleeing orcs.

"Legolas, to your left!" He heard Hesin's voice call out and barely had time to duck a swinging scimitar. Spinning around, he swept up his right arm in an arc, cutting deeply into the enemy's side, while he rammed his other knife forward. He grimaced at the spray of the blackened blood as he pulled his knife free. Not sparing another thought for the fallen creature, he sprinted onward to continue his pursuit. He knew there were at least two more orcs fleeing before him, and he had no intention of allowing them to escape.

"Legolas!" Hesin called out.

He faltered briefly and chanced a look behind him. The other elf had stopped in his tracks.

"Legolas, come back. The signal!" Hesin called out again.

Legolas forced his feet to stop. "Signal?"

"We are to cease pursuit and fall back," Hesin said, looking grim.

"But there are more orcs out there! At least two of them. We cannot allow them to get away!" Legolas protested.

"I know, but nevertheless, we have our order to go back," Hesin said. "Come."

"If we allow them to escape, they may bring back others," Legolas was not ready to give up the fight yet.

Hesin shook his head. "We need to go back to the others."

Expelling a frustrated breath of air, Legolas turned and followed the older elf reluctantly. "It makes no sense! We could have easily overtaken them."

"Perhaps Bainion is aware of something that we are not," Hesin offered, though he too sounded frustrated.

Throwing one more reluctant glance behind him, Legolas quickly made his way to the other elf.

"You are not injured?" Hesin asked as he looked at the younger elf's splashed tunic.

Legolas shook his head. "Though you may all think otherwise, I am not as helpless as I appear and am quite able to take care of myself." He could not quite contain the bitterness in his voice.

"What Bainion said is not necessarily the opinion held by the rest of us," Hesin said quietly. "I can assure you that it is quite the contrary."

"Then why did he say what he did?" Legolas asked, hating the near childish tone in his own voice.

Hesin shook his head. "I do not know. Perhaps jealousy."

"Jealousy?" Legolas echoed. "I do not understand. He is the lieutenant and I am merely a young, inexperienced warrior."

Hesin patted his on the shoulder. "It is at times hard for me to understand as well. Leave it be, Legolas. Be content knowing that you are well liked by the others."

Upon returning to the others, Bainion had given Legolas, along with two others, the order to gather together the orc bodies into a pile so that they could be burned. It had been a thoroughly unpleasant task, but one, he knew, that had to be done.

Legolas looked at his tainted hands in distaste. He had tried wiping clean them on a handful of leaves, but smudges of the blackened blood clung stubbornly to the spaces between his fingers. He would have to wait until he returned to the main camp before he could clean himself thoroughly in the nearby stream. He looked over at the smoldering pile and forced back a gag at the putrid smoke that hung heavily in the air. He hoped that Bainion would give the order soon to return to the main camp.

Two of the warriors had taken injury in the clash with the orcs, though fortunately the injuries were not serious. One had suffered a rather deep slash to his thigh and would have to be carried back to the camp in a hastily made litter. The other had a cut hand that had not even required stitches. All in all, they had been quite successful in the confrontation, though Legolas could not help but question in his own mind the wisdom of allowing the orcs to escape.

Once the orcs had been reduced to a barely smoking heap and then covered loosely with dirt, Bainion issued the order to move out. They took turns carrying the makeshift litter and as their journey progressed, Legolas found that he was tiring very quickly. The urgent flight through the trees to warn the others of the orcs and the subsequent fighting had drained him more than he thought possible, and the effects were becoming increasingly pronounced now that the rush of adrenaline had dissipated. He adjusted the weight of the litter slightly and pressed forward with grim determination. He knew he was being watched closely, and he had no intention of displaying any outward sign of weakness to satisfy the lieutenant's scrutinizing eyes.

The sky was streaked with the first light of dawn by the time they at last reached the main camp. Even in his weary state, Legolas immediately sensed that something was out of the ordinary as soon as they stepped within the periphery of the camp. At such an early hour, few should be stirring yet, but on this morn, the camp appeared to be in full activity.

"What has happened?" Bainion asked. "Where is the captain?"

The elf who had came forward to meet them replied quickly. "The captain has returned to the stronghold to hold audience with Lord Feren. Because of the increased orc activities in this area recently, he is to make the request for more warriors to be sent here. In his absence, he has asked that you take charge of the camp. He should return within two, three days."

Bainion regarded the other elf closely. "Something has happened as well. What is it?"

"Our night patrol came across a group of men late last evening," the other elf said, unable to mask the excitement in his voice. "They were brought back to the camp."

"Men?" Bainion echoed. "How many? Were they armed? What purpose do they have in our woods?"

"There are three adults and three children. Two of the adults are armed, but they seem to pose no danger. As to their purpose, we have been unable to understand each other thus far as they speak only Westron, and there are none among us with enough knowledge of that tongue to make sense of what they are saying."

"And there are children among them?" Bainion asked incredulously.

The other elf nodded. "They have just awaken, and are about to take their morning meal."

Bainion looked in the direction of the main campfire. "Lead the way to them. I need to speak to them to find out their true intention."

"Legolas?" Hesin touched the younger elf's arm lightly. "Come, I believe both you and I need a hot meal after such a long night."

Legolas flinched at the other's touch and stepped back. "I - I am too weary to eat. I think I will head for my bedroll instead."

"You need food," Hesin insisted. "You may rest after you have eaten."

Legolas shook his head, eyeing the figures huddled about the campfire in the small central clearing. Without another word, he turned abruptly and made his way to the base of the tree where his bedroll was kept. Dropping to the ground, he drew his knees into chest, hugging them close while pressing his back against the comforting sturdiness of the trunk.

There were men in the camp!

He felt the nerves in his stomach clench painfully. Stop it, he admonished himself sharply. You are a warrior now so conduct yourself as one! These are not the same men as those who had hurt you. Those men are long gone. Feren had made certain of it.

Yet the fear remained. He hugged his knees closer, resting his head atop of them. After all these years, the fear was still there. He closed his eyes in abject misery.

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List