Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

On Border Patrol  by Manderly

See Chapter 1 for disclaimer.

Chapter 4 - The Journey East

It had been two days since they rode out from the stronghold, two days of a thus far uneventful journey that drew him farther and farther away from the familiar sanctuary of love and security. It had not been easy bidding each of his brothers farewell, but it had been especially difficult taking leave of his father. Very little had been said by Thranduil that morning when they had gathered outside the great doors of the palace, but the long and lingering looks that he had bestowed upon his youngest had expressed volumes more than any spoken word could convey. Recalling the face of his father, a composite of pride, sorrow and immeasurable love, made Legolas swallow the lump that had been growing in his throat.

Ai, he missed his father and brothers already, and wondered whether such leave-taking would come easier in the future. He certainly hoped so.

"I remembered clearly the first time I left my home for patrol duty," Hesin suddenly said, as their horses ambled easily over grounds made damp by snow that had only recently melted. "It took almost all that I had not to spill tears, which, had it happened, would have embarrassed myself for eternity before my fellow warriors."

Legolas turned to look at his companion, startled by the other's words, which seemed to echo his very own thoughts. "Are you are a mind-reader, Hesin?"

The other elf laughed. "No, I am not a mind-reader, but the look on your face is one that I have seen many times before, on young warriors as they take their first step into the unknowns."

Legolas did his best to look indignant. "This hardly qualifies as stepping into the unknowns. I know what is ahead, for I have trained all my life for this."

Hesin smiled. "Sometimes there is discrepancy between training and reality. No warrior can be completely prepared for all that he might be called upon to do, no matter what his skills and experience may be. This is simply because our enemies are not always predictable."

Legolas frowned as he took in the other's words. "How do we counter this unpredictability then?"

"We draw on our instincts and pray that we can react quickly enough to avoid injury or death, to oneself and to fellow warriors," Hesin answered. "That is another reason that warriors never venture forth alone. They always travel in no less than twos, but more often in fours. It is imperative that we watch out for each other's safety. Our survival depends on that. One pair of eyes is no match for four pairs."

Legolas nodded. "When I was a novice, our training masters made that abundantly clear to us."

"And for good reason, as you will see for yourself soon enough," Hesin said.

"I suppose I will be the one with the least experience. In fact, I already know I am," Legolas said rather morosely. "Other warriors will not wish for me to be part of their group."

Hesin smiled. "You have little to fear in that. Your reputation as Mirkwood's finest archer precedes you and many will be eager to have you by their side."

A tinge of pink coloured the fair skin. "I fear such a reputation has been greatly exaggerated and those who believe it to be the truth will be sadly disappointed."

"I have seen you with your bow, and I believe the reputation is well deserved," Hesin said.

The flush deepened in Legolas' face. "Thank you for your kind words." Then smiling sheepishly, he added. "I need all the encouragement I can get right now."

"It is only natural to feel nervous when you embark upon your first patrol. I remember the feeling well, though my experience took place millennia ago. I felt as if I was a stranger trying to fit into an established family. I thought all eyes were on my every move, and they probably were, and that everyone was waiting for me to make my first mistake."

Legolas looked at him with wide eyes. "Were they?"

Hesin laughed. "To this day, I really do not know. They might have been, but there was no unkindness from the other, more experienced warriors. They too had once been in the same predicament." He regarded the younger elf with a cheerful smile. "It will be all right, Legolas. You will fit in well with the others."

Legolas nodded, though he hardly looked convinced. For a while, they rode in companionable silence. Hesin glanced at the other's youthful face and knew that Legolas needed more than verbal reassurance to put to rest his understandable apprehension. Hesin harboured little doubt that Legolas would find easy acceptance among the other warriors. It was difficult not to like the young elf.

"What is it like in the eastern patrol, Hesin?" Legolas' voice suddenly interrupted his train of thoughts. "You have been serving in it for quite some time now, have you not?"

Hesin nodded. "Aye. It has almost become a second home to me now. For most part, the patrols are uneventful, though we do come across marauding groups of orcs from time to time. They have also launched periodic attacks upon the settlements in the area. We do our best to keep secure the areas surrounding those settlements, but with the limited number of warriors, that is not always possible. We have some success in containing their forays, but it is impossible to eradicate the threat completely." He let out a small sigh. "As the Shadow deepens over our land, the threat will only grow, I am afraid."

"I have the utmost faith in our warriors. We will not lose this battle with the Shadow," Legolas said firmly.

Hesin looked at him, smiling at the youthful determination on the other's face. "There is a need for more youthful warriors among us. It is refreshing and encouraging to witness such optimism. I fear many of us have grown too weary of this constant battle."

Legolas looked alarm. "Do you mean to give up?"

Hesin shook his head. "No. I, like many others, will fight to our last breath, but we grow weary nonetheless. For too many years now have we lived with this war. Peace is a distant memory."

"I have not seen Mirkwood in the time of peace," Legolas said quietly.

Hesin regarded him with sympathy. "Perhaps someday you and I both will see it together."

Legolas suddenly smiled. "I am certain we will, if we carry out our duties with diligence."

Hesin laughed. "I can almost believe you."

"Tell me something of the warriors with whom we will be serving. And the captain - is he a reasonable one to serve under?" Legolas asked. "And his second in command? What is he like?"

The older elf laughed again. "It is a fortunate thing that we have still one more day of travel before us before we reach the main camp, for it will take at least that long to satisfy your curiosity."

Legolas grinned. "I would like to prepare myself as much as possible for what is ahead of me. This would lessen the chances of committing errors."

Hesin nodded, smiling. "A wise approach, indeed, my young friend. Though I am not in the habit of speaking about my fellow warriors behind their backs, I suppose this qualifies as an exception. After all, knowing your comrades is nearly as important as knowing your enemies."

To which, Legolas nodded enthusiastically.

xxxxxx

"Welcome, Legolas," Callon greeted his new warrior by grasping the other's forearm in a firm grip.

"Thank you, Captain," Legolas said as steadily as he could, knowing that many sets of eyes were on him.

"Welcome back, Hesin," Callon turned to greet Legolas' companion. "I trust you have enjoyed your leave."

"I did, thank you," Hesin answered, smiling. He reached into his pack and drew out a sealed packet. "I have a message for you from Lord Feren."

Callon took the packet, but made no effort to read it right away. "Thank you." Turning to Legolas again, he smiled warmly. "I am pleased that you are to join us, Legolas. I have heard many fine things about you and I have no doubt that you will make a valuable addition to this patrol." He eyed the bow that was slung across the younger elf's shoulders and his smile broadened. "And I am certain that I am not alone when I say that I am very much looking forward to seeing you in action with your bow."

Legolas flushed as he dipped his head. "I have much to learn yet and I hope you will all be patient with me as I find my foothold in the patrol."

Callon laughed and turned to the elf beside him. "This is my lieutenant, Bainion. He will show you the camp and where you may stow your pack."

"I would be pleased to show Legolas the camp, Captain," Hesin said quickly. "I am certain Bainion has other matters to tend to."

"Fine, fine," Callon said agreeably, turning his attention at last to the packet in his hand.

Hesin touched Legolas briefly on the shoulder. "Come, I will show you where you will be sleeping and you may wish to have a brief wash before the midday meal, which will be served shortly."

Legolas nodded and hefted his pack onto his shoulder. Before they had taken more than a few steps toward the other side of the camp, anther elf fell in beside them.

"Welcome back, Hesin," the newly arrived elf said, giving Legolas a pleasant smile. "And welcome, Legolas."

"Thank you," Legolas replied quickly.

"Legolas, this is Arphen. He and I have the fortune, or should it be misfortune, of sharing many patrols together, watching out for each other," Hesin explained with a broad grin. "And he is no doubt anxious right now, wondering whether I have brought any letters back with me."

Arphen grinned sheepishly. "It has been some time since the last messenger was here. I am not the only anxious one for word from home."

Hesin smiled with understanding. "Of course. I do indeed bring letters from home. And here you are. Perhaps you will be kind enough to distribute these to the others as well, as I need to help Legolas settle in."

Arphen took the thick packet of letters with a broad smile. "Thank you, Hesin. You have made many of us very happy today."

Hesin laughed as he stood and watched the other elf make his way around the camp, merrily distributing the letters into eagerly awaiting hands. He turned and saw the half-puzzled smile on Legolas' face.

"You will find out soon enough how much a letter from home means after you have been on patrol for some time," Hesin explained. "It takes you home, if just for a few short moments."

Legolas nodded, though he did not fully understand the underlying sadness in the other's voice.

"Here, you can set your things here, along side of mine," Hesin indicated. "We will hold camp here for a few days yet, it would seem. This is where we will be sleeping on nights that we are not on patrol. If you would like, I will show you where the stream is and you can have a brief wash."

Legolas nodded. "Yes, I would like that. Thank you, Hesin, for everything."

The older elf smiled and clasped his shoulder briefly. "Warriors look out for each other, remember?"

Legolas returned the smile. As he followed Hesin across the camp, he looked about him with open curiosity, smiling at the glances cast in his direction and feeling gratified when the smiles were reciprocated. He was one of them now, he told himself. And tomorrow, he would receive his first assignment to begin his patrol. A small shiver of anticipation swept through him at the thought.

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List