Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

On Border Patrol  by Manderly

See Chapter 1 for disclaimer

Chapter 2 - Decisions

An uncomfortable silence fell in the dining room after Legolas' sudden departure. For a long moment, Thranduil stared at the closed door and fought down the instinctive urge to follow his youngest son, to assure himself of Legolas' wellbeing. His son was no longer an elfling in need of his father's constant fussing over his every discomfiture, whether real or perceived. Such an adjustment did not come easily to Thranduil. Indeed, it was probably one of the most difficult things that he had had to do in his long life, and he was uncertain whether it was something that he could ever master.

"I am sorry, Adar," Feren's apologetic voice drew him from his momentary reverie. "It would appear that I did not handle that situation adequately."

Thranduil turned to look at the son who had spoken. Slowly, he shook his head. "You spoke but the truth, and I am certain Legolas himself knows of that. Your brother is still searching for the balance between aspiration and reality. He is not the first young warrior to feel that his skills are being underused, and he certainly will not be the last. You, of all people, should be well aware of that."

"Ah, but our Legolas is not like most warriors. Other young warriors do not have the King's Commander as their brother," Tavaro pointed out cheerfully. "Such complaints of being underused, from the few foolish enough to voice them, would not come to your ears in any event, Feren, as your lowly lieutenants dare not trouble you with such trivial matters."

Feren frowned. "Legolas cannot expect preferential treatment simply because he is the King's son or that he is my brother."

"I doubt very much that Legolas is seeking preferential treatment, at least not in the manner that you are thinking of in any event," Tavaro said. "Tell me, brother, if you have another young warrior with the skills of Legolas, would you confine him to Home Guard duty?"

Feren's frown deepened. "It is customary for first year warriors to serve in the Home Guards. I have said as much to Legolas."

"And yet other young warriors have been assigned elsewhere in the past, if they can demonstrate that they have skills required to serve in more demanding patrols," Tavaro reminded.

"That is not the norm," Feren countered.

"But it is done nonetheless," Tavaro pointed out.

"Are you suggesting then that I assign Legolas to another patrol?" Feren looked at his brother through narrowed eyes.

Tavaro shrugged. "I am merely bringing certain facts to light. Perhaps Legolas is correct in saying that we let our emotions rule over reason."

Feren turned to his older brother. "You have been silent thus far, Aldeon. Have you no thoughts to add to this discussion?"

There was a pause before Aldeon answered. "I believe you and Tavaro have a greater understanding of what is needed for the defence of our Realm."

"Aldeon, you need not be so diplomatic among family members," Tavaro reminded with a grin. "Just as Feren is no longer the King's Commander in this room, you are also no longer the King's foremost diplomat."

Aldeon laughed sheepishly. "I am sorry, but at times it is difficult to distinguish between my various roles and what is expected of me."

Thranduil smiled wryly. "Let me assure you that you are not alone. All we can do is try our best and hope that it will be enough."

"Aldeon?" Feren continued to regard his oldest brother. "I would welcome your input as to what should be done about Legolas."

"Should something be done?" Aldeon asked in turn.

A familiar frown creased Feren's brows. "I do not know, but I do know that whatever decision I may make, I want it to be the best for both the Realm and our brother."

"Feren, I do not expect perfection from my commander, and neither should you expect that of yourself," Thranduil put in quietly.

"I know, Adar, that you do not, but I cannot help but feel the weight of responsibility on my shoulders," Feren said, staring at his interlaced fingers. "Lives depend on my decisions."

"Ai, Feren, the fate of Mirkwood does not rest on you alone," Tavaro said with a familiar note of exasperation. "We all share the responsibility."

"Tavaro is right," Aldeon added. "The burden lies not on one person alone."

Feren smiled rather tightly. "Thank you, my brothers."

Aldeon returned the smile. "We can all benefit from a little encouragement from time to time."

Feren nodded before expelling a long breath. "I doubt it is encouragement that Legolas seeks at this time."

"No, it is not," Aldeon agreed. "His spirits have been low of late. It is certainly not what one would expect from a newly affirmed warrior."

"Which is rather peculiar when one considers that his earliest aspiration has been to become a warrior, would you not say?" Tavaro asked no one in particular. "I believe we all know what it is that Legolas wants, but are we ready to grant him what he wishes?"

"Not if it exposes him to unwarranted danger," Thranduil said quickly, his lips pressed into a grim line.

"Adar, Legolas is a warrior now," Aldeon reminded gently. "And as such, he cannot avoid danger no matter what we desire for him."

"Yes, I know he is a warrior," Thranduil said with a hint of frustration. "He is also one of the youngest, if not the youngest, warrior within our forces. He should by all rights be a novice still. I had not concurred with the decision to elevate him to the status of a warrior at such an early age, and my sentiments remain unchanged."

"His skills had long surpassed some of our most able warriors. Even his training masters had agreed at the time that it would be unfair to hold him back as a novice, regardless of his tender age," Aldeon pointed out.

Thranduil frowned. "I am not disputing his obvious skills, but my belief remains that he is too young to face the perils that are demanded of seasoned warriors. He should continue his tenure in the Home Guards until he is more of an age as his fellow junior warriors."

"Adar, if Legolas objects to serving one year in the Home Guards, he certainly will not appreciate your idea of him spending years more in the Home Guards simply because of his age," Tavaro pointed out.

"It is for his own wellbeing," Thranduil said.

"But not for his happiness," Tavaro's voice was no less firm. "If Legolas is already so unhappy after a few months serving in the Home Guards, how do you think he will be should these months turn to years? I have no desire to see him come to harm and it is my fervent wish that he will never have to experience again what he has already experienced, but that is my own selfish desire. I do not like seeing him so dispirited."

"I must agree with Tavaro," Aldeon said quietly. "We should perhaps consider Legolas' own desires. It is, after all, his life that we are now discussing."

Thranduil looked at his sons and let out a long sigh. "When it comes to the wellbeing of my sons, I cannot help but be selfish. You cannot imagine how difficult it is to send each of you out to face the dangers that prevail in our realm, and now I am asked to do the same with my youngest child. Can you not understand my reluctance?"

"I know the feeling only too well," Feren said. "It is what I feel when I send our warriors to what may be their demise. And now I must face the possibility of sending my youngest brother to the same fate. I do not know whether I can make that choice, and yet I must, as it is my duty." He turned to Tavaro. "Would I assign Legolas to another patrol in these circumstances were he not my brother? If I am to be truthful, the answer is yes. Were he not my brother, I would have immediately assigned him elsewhere upon his affirmation as a warrior where his skills as a warrior are sorely needed. Legolas is right. I have allowed my sentiments as a brother to override that of a prudent commander."

Aldeon looked at him sympathetically. "I doubt any one would fault you for that."

Feren frowned, shaking his head. "But I cannot allow it to continue. It would be unfair to all concerned." He turned to his father. "I am sorry, Adar. I must do what I believe is best in the circumstances, though I assure you it is no more to my liking than to yours."

Thranduil took in a sharp breath and held it briefly. Then he heard his own voice saying words that seemed totally foreign to him. "You must do what you think is right, Feren. I have bestowed that duty upon you when I made you the commander of the troops. I only ask that you refrain from assigning Legolas to the southern patrol until he has gained more experience under his belt."

"You need not be concerned with that. No prudent commander would send but the most experienced and seasoned warriors to that patrol," Feren smiled grimly.

"As much I delight having Legolas at my side, I would be the first one to object if you should assign our little brother to that patrol," Tavaro said.

"I am sure you would," Feren said knowingly. "I will need to give serious consideration as to where I will send Legolas."

"Wherever you decide to send him, I am certain Legolas will be most happy for the change," Aldeon said.

"Well, I am glad that at least one member of this family will be happy," Feren said wryly.

"I have one further request," Thranduil said. "I want someone of experience to accompany Legolas on his new deployment."

"You wish someone to replace Salque?" Tavaro asked. "Why not assign a guard to Legolas yourself, Adar?"

"Because Legolas will not be tolerant of another personal guard. He blames himself yet for Salque's death. The idea that someone whose duty is to protect him at all cost is repellent to him. I doubt even I could force a guard upon him at this time, as much as I desire to do so. I had previously hoped that this problem needed not be addressed until further down the road, when he had completed his tenure in the Home Guards and more time had passed so that the raw edges of memories could be soften. But that is not to be the case now."

"And you believe he will not object now to another warrior at his side watching his every move, even if he gets his wish of being assigned to a border patrol?" Tavaro asked.

"I believe it is the rule that warriors always patrol in twosomes," Thranduil said with a raised brow. "I am merely requesting that a seasoned warrior be paired with Legolas and that I have an opportunity to speak with that warrior prior to their departure."

Tavaro grinned. "Legolas will see through it nevertheless."

"But he will not be able to object to what is the rule," Thranduil countered.

Feren allowed himself a small smile. "I would have done it without your asking, Adar, but rest assured that whoever I decide to assign to be Legolas' partner will have an audience with you before they leave."

Thranduil nodded. "How soon will this all take place?"

"No later than the end of this week," Feren replied.

"So soon?" Thranduil asked, unable to control his dismay.

Feren let out a long breath. "Delaying it for any period of time will only make it more difficult."

"So long as it does not happen before my leave comes to an end," Tavaro said with a grin. "I wish to spend as much time as possible with the bratling before he leaves to become a real warrior."

"A real warrior, indeed," Thranduil murmured.

"Adar, Legolas will make you proud," Aldeon said gently.

Thranduil eyed his eldest. "He already does, as do all of you."

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List