Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Twin Mischief  by Cierah

Chapter Two: Confused Introductions

Elrohir sat up in bed, squinting at the sun, which drenched his face. Confused he looked around his room at his surroundings. ‘My own bed, my room, which day?’ he silently mused to himself. He swung his legs over the side of his mussed up bed, and stood stretching. ‘Father would not allow me to miss dinner, would he?’

Cautiously, Elrohir walked to his door and peered out into the candle lit halls. His brother’s door across the way was closed, and the younger twin scampered across the cold floor and opened the heavy oak doors. Pursing his lips, he tip toed to the bed in the middle of the room, and glanced down at the sleeping form of his elder brother. Reaching out a steady hand, he shook his brother’s shoulder lightly.

“El?” Elrohir whispered.

The only response he got was a groan. The figure, curled up under the covers, rolled over tucking his head under the stitched green quilt.

Elrohir frowned, and shook his brother harder. “El!” He whispered louder this time. “Wake up.”

“Go away. Sleeping!” A muffled voice hissed.

Elrohir smiled broadly. “If that were true, you would not have answered me.”

The blanket shifted, and a pair of gray eyes peeped out from underneath. Identical eyes met one another. One pair sleep filled, the other filled with mischief.

“Oh Valar, Ro, what do you want?” The head popped back under the blanket.

“Have we slept all night? Is it morning? I lost track of which day it is.” Elrohir moaned.

The blankets shifted again, but this time, the elder twin sat up looking around confused. “Father would have woken us for dinner.”

Elrohir raised a delicate eyebrow. “Would he?”

Elladan glanced at him frowning. “Of course he would.” He stated. “Or at least I think he would.” Elladan pushed the blankets down and crawled out of bed. He walked over to the small basin sitting by the window, dipped his hands in and splashed his face. Turning around to face his brother, he said. “Perhaps we should seek father out and see if dinner is ready.”

Elrohir nodded, and followed his brother out of the room. The identical pair climbed a few stairs and walked down several halls, before arriving to their fathers study. Both were bantering softly to each other and did not hear the voices coming from within. Once at the door, they knocked and Elladan poked his head around it to great his father. His eyes however did not meet his father’s deep ocean blue ones, but met with a set of dark sapphire ones. Startled, he scrambled back and turned wide eyes to his twin. With one raised eyebrow, and a quick squeak, Elladan dashed off down the halls without a word.

Totally confused, Elrohir opened the door and walked inside, almost gasping when he saw the visitors. His mouth dropped open, and he stood there speechless, staring at the five richly dressed elves seated in chairs. He felt his eyes wash over each elf, taking in every detail; of bright golden hair, eyes all deep sapphire blue and rich garbs stating the guests as royalty.

Elrohir then cast his eyes to his own clothing, and groaned. Here he was, in front of the King and Queen, and their sons, in a rumpled tunic, mussed up hair, and his hunting breeches. He was about to turn face and rush from the room when his father entered carrying a tray of cheese and bread. He stopped when he caught sight of his son, his blue eyes drifting once over his outfit, chuckled, and shook his head. Placing the tray of food onto his desk, he waved his son over.

“Greetings my son, I see you have finally decided to grace us with your presence.” Elrond spoke softly in his musical voice.

Closing his eyes for courage, and a small prayer to the Valar, he nodded. “I was not certain which day it was. I came to ask when dinner was being served.”

Elrond sat down shaking his head, amused. “I am afraid you missed last night’s dinner. It is almost time for lunch. I went to check on you and your brother last night, but you looked utterly exhausted, so I let you sleep.”

Elrohir glared at his father. “Would explain why I am so hungry.”

Elrond smiled. “Forgive my rudeness. This is my son Elladan” He paused looking at Elrohir, his eyes narrowing to take in his features. “Meet King Thranduil, his wife Queen Lalaith, and his three sons. The Crown Prince, Galen. Prince Erysyn, and Prince Legolas.” Elrond paused again and looked closely at his son. The lord of Rivendell missed the smirk that spread across his son’s face.

Elrohir lifted his hand to his mouth and stifled a giggle. Clearing his throat he smiled at his father. Then bowed with respect to the royal family.

“Where is your brother?” Elrond asked pointedly.

“I am uncertain, father. He was by my side, and then took off down the halls.” Elrohir shrugged.

“Go get cleaned up and ready yourself for lunch.” Elrond nodded his approval to leave, and Elrohir bowed his head respectfully, backing out of the room. Once outside he burst into pent up mirth. Elrohir left in search of his brother, gleefully. “Oh, this is too much!” He laughed out loud.

“What is?” A voice caused him to turn. He smiled broadly at his elder brother, who slipped beside him from the dark room to his left.

“Father thought I was you.”

“What? He has not mixed us up in years.” Elladan mused.

“I know that is the great part. I met the Royal family.” Elrohir said falling into step beside his brother.

“And?”

The younger twin shrugged. “They are alright. Seemingly too wrapped up in formality. They are all dressed in formal robes, which I know father will make us wear tonight.” Elrohir shivered at the thought.

Elladan groaned. “Figures. Green or blue?”

“What?” Elrohir glanced at his brother confused.

“Formal robes for tonight. Green or blue?” Elladan smiled widely.

“Oh sure, leave it to me, green being your favorite color, the latter being mine!” Elrohir scowled. “Pick a neutral color, one that leaves no choice.”

“Burgundy then?”

The younger twin nodded, and walked off towards the shower stalls. “Do you think father will make us wear our diadem?” Elrohir paused in the hallway long enough to turn and question.

“Most likely. Wreaths of mithril?” The elder asked.

With one final nod, Elrohir disappeared down the steps to take his shower, leaving his smirking brother alone in the halls.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List