Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Duel of Strength  by Cierah

Chapter Five: Escape

A rough kick brought Elrohir out of his sleep. Cursing, he glared up at the man who had assaulted him. “Time to get up boy!” The man threw down a water skin and walked away laughing mockingly.

Elrohir glanced down at the water skin raising an eyebrow in annoyance. Imrid groaned licking his lips, catching Elrohir’s attention. Taking a deep breath, Elrohir moved his feet beside the skin and pulled it towards them with his heel.

“What is this? Torment?” Imrid muttered. “I’m hungry.”

Elrohir nodded. Lifting his head, Elrohir watched as the men started their fire and prepared breakfast. The smells of coffee drifted across the camp and Elrohir frowned in frustration. Snorting, he looked back down at the water skin and shook his head.

Imrid groaned and watched the features of his companion. He was upset over the loss of his wife and daughter, and he knew it was going to take him years to get over the feeling of loss. Looking at Elrohir, he swallowed at the face of determination and bravery that shone there. Grateful, Imrid would never forget what the boy tried to do, however they both had failed, and there was still no sign of his son.

“What are you?” Imrid asked.

Elrohir raised his eyebrow looking at the man curiously. “Not now.” He hissed, his ears catching a sound behind the tree they were bound to. Inclining his head, he motioned to behind them. “We are not alone.”

Imrid stiffened. Clamping his mouth shut, he frowned. He didn’t hear anything. “I don’t hear anything.” He whispered after a few moments.

Elrohir smiled and winked. “Trust me.”

Imrid nodded, and remained silent.

The camp was torn down, and Elrohir and Imrid were tied by a single rope attached to a horse. Walking in a straight line, they began walking. Cocking his head to the side, Elrohir heard the trees around him whispering frantically to him. The saddened song that lingered in the air caused Elrohir to swallow, and shake his head firmly. Moving his mouth, but not saying a word, Elrohir assured the trees that he would be safe.

Glancing up, Elrohir noticed the leader watching him hard. Cursing himself, Elrohir looked away. Drawing his brows together in anger, Elrohir almost snarled in frustration at how closely he was being watched.

The morning passed quickly. They stopped for a bite to eat, but both Imrid and himself were left tied to the horse, and were forced to stand and watch. A tug at Elrohir’s heart caused him to gasp surprised. Lifting his head, he looked around surprised. Holding a groan of pain back, Elrohir searched his mind; his brother’s presence was close. Elladan was fighting.

New hope filled Elrohir’s heart, and he closed his eyes sending all reassurances to his brother. Elrohir was tugged suddenly, and pulled off his feet. Letting out a startled cry, he was dragged over to the leader, who sat in a makeshift chair glaring at him.

“Well boy?”

Forced onto his knees before the leader, Elrohir narrowed his eyes in confusion. “Well what?”

The leader grinned, which caused Elrohir’s blood to run cold. Fear had eluded him for a time, but the menacing grin that the leader wore now, caused him to wonder what he was up to. Raising his eyebrow, swallowing the overwhelming fear that threatened to surface, he grinned back.

“I seem to be a bit confused over you, boy. My man, who was told to keep an eye on you, tells me that some words were exchanged between you and Imrid.” The leader stood up and placed his hand under Elrohir’s chin lifting it so they could meet eye to eye.

“Oh?”

“You are a feisty one, so full of bravery. But how brave do you think you will be once we get to where we are going?”

“Enough of your riddles. Why not just tell me our destination and get it over with?” Elrohir snarled.

“What and spoil the fun?” The leader shoved Elrohir’s chin away, and stood up. “Come now, this will be a surprise. Have you not discovered who I am yet?”

“I do not care who you are. All that I need to know if that your attempts at breaking me will be in vain. I am stronger then you think.”

“Really? How strong do you think you will be, with a dose of these?” The leader held out his hand and in them were three tiny yellow seeds. At least to Elrohir, they appeared to be seeds.

Frowning, Elrohir studied them, but through all his years of studying herbs, and healing droughts, he had never seen anything quite like them before. “What are they?” He asked, his confidence failing a little.

“You think I will tell you?”

Elrohir smirked. “You would not have shown them to me, if you had planned to keep them a secret.”

The leader laughed. “My, my, so full of fire. You will find out soon enough boy. I have plans for you, and these will work into those plans nicely.”

Narrowing his eyes, Elrohir felt his stomach waver slightly in fear. He was dragged back to Imrid’s side and tied to the horse again. Never taking his eyes off the leader, Elrohir knew that what ever those things were, he would have to figure out a way for him to avoid drawing attention to himself in order to find out.

Turning his head, he glanced at Imrid. The man was looking at him curiously.

“What did they want?” Imrid whispered.

“To frighten me.” Elrohir hissed.

Imrid gasped. “What did they show you?”

Shaking his head, Elrohir rolled his eyes back to where the leader was standing. Looking back at Imrid, he smiled. “Fear not, it takes more then threats to frighten me.”

Imrid swallowed and nodded. “I’m terrified.”

Elrohir nodded. “I know.”

“What are we going to do?” Imrid whispered tears of fear in his eyes.

“I’ll think of something.” Elrohir hissed. “Quiet now. We are being watched, and that leader is looking for me to make a mistake.”

“What kind of mistake?”

“Shush.” Elrohir hissed again, this time more firmly.

Imrid clamped his mouth shut and nodded, tears falling onto his face.

Elrohir glanced at him and felt his heart tug painfully. “Easy, grief will only make things worse. Ease your heart and know that Mandos is watching over your wife and daughter.”

Imrid glanced at him hard. He mouthed the name and peered into Elrohir’s eyes. He had heard that name spoken a few times, and was startled.

Elrohir winked at him and nodded at the startled recognition in the mans eyes. Imrid’s face held a look of disbelief then faded into one of acceptance. Without giving the man another look, Elrohir turned his gaze to the leader who still looked at him hard.

Growling with rage, Elrohir snarled at him, and stepped forward warningly. The leader smirked and turned away unfazed. Rolling his eyes, Elrohir grinned. Sighing impatiently, he waited for the men to finish their meals and begin travel again. Over an hour passed and Elrohir turned his head surprised as Imrid’s stomach made a large disapproving sound.

Chuckling, Elrohir smiled. “Hungry?”

Imrid nodded and sheepishly smiled. “Remarkably so. Are you not hungry?”

Elrohir nodded slightly. “I am hungry, and thirsty, but I will be alright for a time.”

Imrid shook his head. “Do you think they will allow us to eat?”

Elrohir raised his eyebrow slightly. “They must, if they want to keep us healthy and strong. They are slave traders, so allowing us to become weak will be of no use to them.”

Imrid nodded in understanding, and then slumped back sadly. It was only moments later when the men began to break their camp. Now packed up and ready to go, Elrohir sneered at the men who passed him. Following the horses lead, Elrohir sensed the horses uneasiness and frowned. Looking closely at it, he realized it was under fed and mistreated. Bruises appeared faintly on the dark coat, and the horse limped along slowly.

His frown deepening, he also noticed the poor animal’s ribs showing. Shaking his head in anger, Elrohir moved closer to the animal and brushed up against it. Immediately the horse relaxed and nickered in acceptance. Being a horse lover, Elrohir smiled and whispered softly to the animal, then moved back to his position beside Imrid. They had only gone a few steps when Imrid lost his balance and fell to his knees. Sweat covered the mans forehead and Elrohir stopped immediately kneeling beside him, holding him up with his shoulder. Imrid smiled briefly at the small distraction the man had planned had worked.

The leader unaware of the ploy the man had set up walked back to them angrily. Grinning Elrohir waited.

“What is the meaning of this?” The leader growled, reaching down and yanking the man up by the hair.

Elrohir snarled, and took the opportunity to over take the slave leader. Jumping to his feet, Elrohir ran into the leader knocking him off balance. Before the guards could react, Elrohir had twisted and gripped the leader’s dagger and in one swift movement cut the ropes binding his arms behind his back. Leaping away from the leader who staggered to his feet, Elrohir ran to the cart that Imrid was still tied to and sliced the rope. Jumping into the back of the cart, Elrohir spotted his sword, and unsheathed it as the guards approached the wagon with their swords drawn.

Quickly, Elrohir hopped onto the carts wall and flipped over the guard who swung his sword at his legs. Landing on his feet, Elrohir lowered his head, and rammed into another guard with his shoulder, knocking him off balance sending him flying into the dirt.

Knowing that his quick speed and advantage of having years of training, Elrohir knew he had a small chance of reaching his brother to free him. Turning and facing a large armed guard, Elrohir snarled and twirled the sword in his hand, racing towards him hoping the attack would stun the large man enough to distract him to make a mistake. The attack gave him an advantage as the guard stepped back surprised. Swinging his sword, Elrohir took down the man before he could make a sound.

Jumping nimbly over the dead man, he raced towards the trees. Elrohir would have to use them to gain a bit of control over the situation. Highly outmanned, Elrohir leapt to the first tree at the edge of the path, whispering words for help. Almost immediately the tree seemed to lower its branch so the elf could jump and grip it quickly.

Climbing with all the grace the elves possessed, Elrohir jumped to the next tree swinging into the branches with ease. Keeping an eye on the path to his left, Elrohir searched for signs of his brother. Imrid would have to fend for himself or wait until Elladan was safe before Elrohir could help him. His first concern was his brothers’ safety.

Jumping into the next tree, Elrohir caught sight of several guards surrounding another cart further up the path as the other guards behind him shouted out warnings running down the path trying to keep their eyes on the elf in the tree. His identity safe for the moment, they still thought him a youthful mortal.

Leaping from the tree, Elrohir landed on the path quickly. Swinging his sword desperately, Elrohir struck down three guards who were unaware of how close he had been. Two more stood ready, and waited for the boy to make his move. Elrohir narrowed his eyes and charged one guard with his shoulder lowered to knock the man off balance. Once the guard flew back, Elrohir twisted slicing with his sword at the man who raised his own sword trying to block the attack.

Knocking the sword out of the mans hand, Elrohir jabbed forward cutting through the mans gut quickly. Jumping into the cart, Elrohir dropped the sword and lifted Elladan onto his shoulder. Reaching for the sword again, Elrohir jumped out of the cart and raced for the trees. Almost to the tree line, Elrohir heard the distinctive sound of an arrow. Gasping, Elrohir twisted out of the way, his movements slowed by the added weight of his brother. The missile barely missing him, Elrohir ducked as another flew for him. It missed him by mere inches flying past his face. Another sliced his cheek, and hissing through his lips, Elrohir knew that this escape attempt would fail.

A sharp pain filled him as an arrow embedded into his shoulder, and he staggered at the burning sensation. Not willing to give up, Elrohir continued to run as hard as he could and leapt into the brush. Wincing as the weight of his brother jarred his shoulder, Elrohir ran with all he had. His momentum slowed by the injury and his brothers limp body, Elrohir continued to run as the voices of the men grew closer.

Leaping over a log, Elrohir turned and changed direction. He hoped his knowledge of the forest would give him an advantage over the men who were slower through the thick under brush. Perspiration covered his forehead, and Elrohir ground his teeth together in desperation. His elven speed and light footed running kept his fleeing silent to the men’s hearing. Changing directions again, he kept his hearing perked to the loud cracking and shouts of the men in the distance. The voices grew softer, and Elrohir allowed himself a small sigh of relief. Turning deeper into the forest, Elrohir kept running, not wanting the men to catch up to him.

He ran for almost an hour and the voices of the men pursuing him faded to silence. Gasping, Elrohir found foliage that was thick and well hidden from prying eyes and finally fell to his knees. Lowering his brother to the ground gently, Elrohir planted his hands on the ground trying to catch his breath. Quickly breaking off the shaft of the arrow, Elrohir gritted his teeth as it snapped and caused him lightheadedness. Closing his eyes, Elrohir breathed slowly allowing his mind to clear from the wound. Tearing his tunic at the bottom, Elrohir bound his wound tightly. Slumping against a tree trunk, Elrohir pulled his brother into his arms and lost consciousness.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List