Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Duel of Strength  by Cierah

Chapter Two: A Lost Sense

Crouching low to the ground, Elrohir moved silently towards the fire, praying to the Valar that his brother had started the fire, but was too injured to climb the cliff. He allowed his eyes to adjust to the light difference, and bent low beside a tree carefully watching the site before him. Beside the fire was a human family, and frowning, Elrohir scanned carefully for signs of his brother and saw none. Swallowing, he leaned forward slightly, squinting his eyes.

There were two children, a woman and a man sitting beside the roaring fire, eating. A mound of blankets sat on the other side of the fire, mostly blocked by the flames. Taking a deep breath, he stood up and silently made his way into the camp and was almost upon the family, when the woman let out a cry of surprise, jumping to her feet knocking her plate over.

Holding up his hands, Elrohir immediately stopped. He let his eyes scan the area, and almost choked when he caught sight of a form under the mass of blankets. Opening his mouth, he stared hard at the man who now stood up, looking at him and then at the blanket.

“Oh goodness.” The woman exclaimed. She moved out of the way and moved towards her children, seating herself beside them and wrapping her arms about their shoulders.

“You have my apologies.” Elrohir whispered. “I meant not to frighten you.”

The man nodded, and motioned to the blankets.

Elrohir didn’t hesitate and quickly moved towards the covered figure. Kneeling beside the lump, he pushed back the covers and winced. It was Elladan. Swallowing hard, Elrohir began assessing the injuries and felt tears well up in his eyes. “Valar, El. That was a stupid thing to do.” He whispered softly.

Elrohir concluded that Elladan’s injuries were serious. His most concern was the large goose egg on his head that was wrapped in a makeshift bandage. Blood seeped through the off white material and he flinched at the condition of it. It was stained from previous injuries and dirty.

Quickly tearing off the hem of his undershirt, Elrohir ripped it into strips, and unwound the bandage on his twins head. “Do you have any water?” He asked somewhat sharply.

The woman almost jumped, but quickly passed him a pot of fresh water. Without looking at her, Elrohir dipped one strip into the water and quickly wiped the wound clean, swallowing against the fear that rose in his throat. Elladan’s head wound was roughly four inches long, and two inches wide. Hissing and cursing under his breath, Elrohir took a breath and held it for patience. Releasing his breath, Elrohir lifted his hand to his head and pulled out a few strands of his hair.

Reaching into his tunic, he pulled out a small bag from his inner pocket. Inside was a tiny needle, and thread used to mend any tears in their clothing. The thread was too thick to stitch Elladan's head without leaving a scar, so Elrohir resorted to his fine elven strands. Quickly threading the needle, Elrohir began his task of suturing his brothers head wound.

Many minutes passed, and finally leaning over, Elrohir tied the last knot, and bit the end. Placing the needle back into the bag and the bag into his tunic, Elrohir bound the wound in a clean strip from his tunic. Without glancing at the family, who were hovering nearby watching intently, Elrohir set Elladan’s broken arm, realigned his dislocated shoulder, and popped the kneecap back into place, before sitting back on his heels watching his brother silently.

His brother didn’t move once while he set the bones, or sutured his head and he grew worried. Looking up finally at the family, he looked them over quietly. “Has he woken up at all?”

The man shook his head. “Not once.”

“How long ago did you stumble across him?” Elrohir asked, looking back at his twin.

“A few hours ago, good sir. We meant no hard. Our children found him and we only wanted to help.”

Elrohir nodded and sighed. “You have my thanks.” Resting his head on his knees, Elrohir remained motionless for a few minutes before lifting his head and standing. “I must go retrieve our belongings. It will not take me long.”

“Your parents also?” The woman asked.

Elrohir stopped confused. “Parents?” Shaking his head, he glanced at the woman who had mistaken him for a child. “Good lady, my brother and I are old enough to travel alone. I will return shortly.”

“But it is dark out.” The woman exclaimed.

Frowning, Elrohir nodded confused. “Indeed.”

“You will loose your way, you should wait until morning.”

Holding back his laughter, Elrohir shook his head. Clearly they had never come across an elf before, but he had no time to explain anything to them now. “Trust me, lady.”

“Rivya.” She smiled.

Elrohir inclined his head. “I am Elrohir and he is Elladan.”

The woman furrowed her brows, but didn’t utter a word.

Turning quickly, Elrohir ran out of the camp and quickly made his way up the path, and around the bend where he met up with the same guard as earlier.

“Did you find your brother?”

Elrohir slowed slightly, and then stopped thinking rapidly. “I did, a family came across him and helped him.”

The guard smiled and nodded. “Glad to hear it.”

“How are the woods for enemies or game?”

Frowning, the guard looked at the youth. “I am uncertain. I usually patrol the paths on the other side of the mountain. Why?”

“The family is camping on the path below, and is unarmed. Will you keep an eye out while I retrieve my belongings?”

The guard smiled and nodded. Kicking his mount he made his way towards the end of the path and over looked the path below. Elrohir nodded satisfied and quickly broke into a run again, making his way up the path until he came across his rope. Gripping it tightly in his hands, Elrohir planted his feet on the earth and began his long climb up the cliff face to where he and Elladan had left their traveling packs and healing supplies.



Elrohir planted his feet on the earth out of breath. He fell to his knees closing his eyes. He knew he was weakened because of his brother’s injuries, but that still didn’t stop him from frantically making his way back to their camp on higher ground. Standing finally, Elrohir ran as fast as he could to the camp which lay abandoned and gathered his and Elladan’s packs. They had traveled on foot for this hunt due to the horses being inexperienced and untrained this year in Imladris.

Shouldering their bags, Elrohir ran back towards the cliffs edge and began his descent once again. The night was passing quickly, and despite his weakened state, Elrohir made excellent time.

Half way down, Elrohir heard cries, and he froze looking over his shoulder quickly. Unable to see past the trees and bushes in his way, terror filled him. Taking a deep breath, Elrohir growled in frustration as he still had a way to go before being safely on the ground. Releasing one hand, Elrohir used his teeth and free hand to open the pack around his shoulder, and pulled the cloak out with his teeth. Quickly wrapping his free hand around the material of the cloak, Elrohir switched hands, and wrapped that one in the material as well. His hands protected, Elrohir slid the rest of the way down the rope quickly, cutting his descent time in half.

Once on the ground, Elrohir placed both packs in the bushes on the side of the path, and fingered the hilt of his sword. Closing his eyes, Elrohir swallowed the feeling of fear, and then opened the grey orbs again, allowing them to adjust to the light that was beginning to fill the sky. Cursing at himself for allowing himself to be slowed due to his brother’s weakened state, too much time had passed and he broke into a run towards where he had left the guard.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List