Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Mathoms  by Pipwise Brandygin

Written for Shirebound, who was wondering if it ever drove the Big Folk crazy to have to walk so slowly from Rivendell to Moria because little hobbit legs couldn't walk as fast as they could :)

***

Short

As the twinkling lights of Rivendell receded into small points on the darkening horizon, Legolas was the first to dart ahead of the others, the elf’s anticipation to begin the journey fairly radiating off him. Boromir’s steady strides sounded heavily on the rocky ground as he determinedly kept up with the fast pace set by the elf, and Gimli followed him closely, keen to point out to the man of Gondor that shorter legs were no indication of a dwarf’s hardiness across long distances.

Time, after all, was short, and all three wished to prove themselves worthy of being included on the quest to save Middle-earth.


“I didn’t think anyone could get us moving faster than Mr. Strider did with them Black Riders after us,” Sam said in a low voice, as he hurried along with the other hobbits, stroking Bill’s nose apologetically as the pony stumbled on some loose stones.

“Gandalf,” Pippin huffed breathlessly from the very back of the group. “Will we have to walk this fast all the way to Mordor?”

“And how long will it take if we do?” Merry added, watching the retreating figures of their tireless companions with wide eyes.

“I should think we’ll be in Mordor by tomorrow at this rate,” Frodo smiled, looking up at the wizard just in front. “What do you say, Gandalf?”

“Around afternoon tea, I should think,” Gandalf agreed, winking at him. “But certainly before dinner.”

Aragorn chuckled softly, and slowed down to walk beside Pippin, who smiled gratefully up at him. Legolas and the others would have to learn the ways of travelling with hobbits, he mused. After all, the pleasure of the hobbits’ company was a reason to appreciate journeying at a slow pace.

Soon, Gandalf disappeared up ahead, and the hobbits began to notice a change. Before long they had caught up with Boromir, Legolas and Gimli, and were mightily relieved to find that they could now all walk easily alongside each other.

“This is better,” Pippin said decisively to Aragorn, sharing a grin with the ranger. “I feel like we’re on a proper walking party now.” He was still at the back but not by nearly so much as before, and it didn’t feel quite such hard work when the others were nearby.

“Thank you,” Frodo whispered to Gandalf, the next time he was at his side. “It must be dreadfully boring to walk at our speed, but I don’t think we could do it much faster.”

“There is very little use in going without you,” Gandalf replied kindly. “You shall set the pace on this journey, Frodo, and we will keep it.”

If it bothered any of the Big Folk that they made it scarcely half as far as they might have hoped that night, none of them mentioned it, filled with admiration as they were for their small companions who walked until they were nearly asleep on their feet.

“We’ll take a little more leisurely pace on the way back, I think, lads.” Frodo muttered, as he curled up in his blankets at the end of their first night on the road.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List