Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Courtship of Peregrin Took  by PIppinfan1988

I hate it when I lie… I promise the next chapter is the last! I hope to update again either later today or tomorrow at the latest--I am behind on reviews and reading, but I really want to finish this as much as possible today. Thank you for your patience!

Chapter Twenty Six - Trouble in Paradise

And so they had many such picnics throughout the rest of the summer, enjoying them mostly in “their” most favourite spot in all the Shire: at Whitwell near the stream. With each subsequent trip to the farm, Pippin and Diamond would clean up the inside the smial just a little bit more, or inside the barn as a surprise for Pimpernel’s big move in Rethe. By late Halimath, the twosome had a small fire going in the kitchen’s hearth to take tea breaks and cook a little bit while they were there.

As autumn came upon the Shire, the Tookland had a great yield of crops with much celebration, as was Paladin’s custom after the harvest of his own fields; a gesture of appreciation toward the workers who laboured long and hard throughout the spring and summer. Pippin and Diamond also enjoyed a hayride with his family, complete with hot apple cider--apple juice for the children.

In late Blotmath, when the colourful leaves of autumn had forsaken all tree limbs in preparation for winter, Pippin had much on his mind. One afternoon, as he and Diamond took a ride through the lanes round Tuckborough, he carefully broached the subject of yet another trip to Bree. Pippin had travelled to Bree previously in late Lithe, offering the opportunity and enough time for his plans to take shape. At that time, Diamond was none the wiser, as Pippin declared to her that he was on business with the Thain’s Hobbitry-in-arms, and….in a roundabout way he was.

After the Battle of Bywater, the Thain observed that each Farthing was in need of a small contingent of Hobbitry-in-arms, ready in time of need--however infrequent that need might be. It was Pippin’s responsibility to go round to each of the Farthings and train these volunteer hobbits in basic defence tactics, such as with rakes, hoes, rocks, or slingshots--typical weapons for a hobbit or hobbit-farmer. The Thain bestowed the task of this exercise upon his young heir, being a Knight of the High King, and already held in high esteem by many hobbits due to the Battle, thus afforded utmost respect. Under normal circumstances, it would take a fortnight to complete. Under other circumstances, as in an extended schedule--to Bree, it would take every bit of three weeks and more. Pippin always ended with the Eastfarthing, thereafter taking the occasion to visit with his kin in Buckland. However, this time, he went on to Bree--with cousins Merry and Freddy along for companionship.

This second trip to Bree would not be in conjunction with training the Hobbitry-in-arms, as this was done only twice a year. Neither were Merry and Freddy coming along for mere companionship. This is where he broached the subject to Diamond with caution. Three days ago, reports came in of a group of men troubling hobbit-peddlers travelling along the East Road between the Shire and Bree. Pippin knew that they were more than likely a surviving faction of the same ruffians he and Merry routed out of the Shire years before.

“You want to go to Bree--again?” Diamond asked with consternation. Her breath drifting behind them in small tendrils of vapour. She wrapped her cloak tighter round herself. “What for? I’ve heard tell that there are highwaymen lying in wait for unwary travelling hobbits just like yourself.” All Diamond could imagine was terror and misfortune befalling her dearest hobbit.

“Both Freddy and Merry are coming with me, and I think Berilac might be joining us as well. We’ll only be gone a week this time,” he tried to assure her. “We’ve dealt with ruffians before, Diamond.” Too much was at stake with this particular trip; Pippin had to make it to Bree within the next week before the hired dwarf returned to the Misty Mountains for the winter. Pippin’s last trip to Bree was more of a mission; he wanted to purchase a very special gift, custom made just for his favourite lass--and made by the Dwarves, no less. This gift was five months in the making--and highwaymen were not going to hold him back.

“But why must you go now?” she asked him, “Can’t this wait until somebody handles the situation?”

“That somebody ought to be me,” Pippin said, thinking maybe this would be a better approach. “I am the King’s messenger, a Knight in his service. Who else, better than me, to deal with these troublemakers?”

Diamond indeed was anxious over the issue; she did not feel confident about Pippin travelling the road at this time--King’s Knight or not. She frowned, “I wish you would stay put until things settled down instead of putting your life at risk over nothing.”

“I am not putting my life at risk over nothing,” Pippin replied stubbornly. He knew Diamond was unaware of her ‘special gift’, but he felt the gift was definitely worth fighting for, if not dying for (in effigy to Diamond). To defend his proposed actions, Pippin’s thought back to a couple days ago, when his sister Pimpernel thought that Diamond might like to accompany her and her mother on one of their charity commitments. “It’s no worse than you entering Mrs. Smallburrow’s hobbit-hole while she and all three of her children are sick. You should never had entered their dwelling--from what I understand, there was a healer on the way. You could catch an illness merely by being round the children.”

“I don’t think so,” Diamond answered with the same persistence as he did a few seconds ago. She, too, defended her position in caring for the young widow’s children. “Besides, I didn’t see anyone else running to aid them with food or blankets. The healer was over a mile away and on foot. Those children were cold and crying--not to mention they hadn’t eaten since the day before--and that every cupboard was bare. All those illnesses you endured while a child ought to give you compassion for them instead of contempt.”

“My compassion was offered to Mrs. Smallburrow in the form of an apartment and employment at Great Smials,” Pippin replied tersely, “Both of which she rejected.”

“She wasn’t ready to let go!” Diamond was getting cross. “You lads think that everything is so easy--and its not! Her husband had only passed away a mere month prior to your offer.”

Pippin reaction mirrored Diamond’s. “So when was I supposed to offer it to her? When her youngest daughter reached her tweens and went off on an apprenticeship?”

“Don’t be flippant,” Diamond narrowed her eyes at Pippin.

“I am not being flippant, just truthful,” Pippin snapped back.

“We’re getting nowhere with this conversation,” said Diamond, sighing with frustration. “I don’t know what visiting Mrs. Smallburrow has to do with you travelling to Bree. I am not putting my life in danger needlessly.”

“And neither am I,” Pippin said coolly, turning up the lane toward the Smials. “We’re getting somewhere all right--we’re getting back home.”

At the Great Door, Pippin got down from the trap, handing the reins over to Mat to take it and the pony back to the stables. Pippin saw that Diamond had not waited for him as was her usual custom. “Where are you going?” he shouted down the tunnel--thankfully, it was the Thain’s private tunnel, however, his family could hear every scrap of the “conversation”.

“I’m going to quarantine myself in my room!” she replied tearfully, “It appears it doesn’t matter what I think of you going to Bree--you’re going to go anyway. So why did you even ask? Has it occurred to you that you might not return to me?” With that, Diamond opened her door and shut it firmly.

Pippin felt the bite of Diamond’s words--although his Tookish stubbornness grew stronger, taking some of the sting away. He walked into his own room, slamming the door behind him.

Not a sound could be heard inside the Thain’s tunnel.

* * *

Two days later, Pippin, Merry, Fredegar, and Berilac were riding at a fast pace toward the East Road. Once upon the Road, they would bring their ponies to a trot and then walk them for a bit. They had left Brandy Hall that morning, galloping in spurts toward the road that would take them to Bree. While they rode, Merry took note of Pippin’s dour mood, wondering what had put him there. He looked up at the grey, wintry clouds that carried possibly a cold rain or the season’s first snow. Pondering this, he felt something wet upon his nose as his eyes adjusted to the diffused light of the clouds overhead, he saw it was a snowflake.

“It’s snowing,” Freddy announced as he held out an upturned hand. He pulled out his flask of brandy to celebrate--and warm his toes.

“Yulemath’s first snow,” remarked Merry, pulling up alongside Pippin.

Foreyule’s first snow,” Pippin corrected, still in his foul humour.

“No…it’s Yulemath,” Freddy said while grinning. “Two Bucklanders and an Eastfarthing hobbit--I think you’re out-voted, cousin.” He then got the distinct feeling that Merry wanted to speak with Pippin. Freddy had also detected a slightly ill-tempered Pippin while they rode. “Well, suit yourself,” he said when Pippin rolled his eyes, “Snow is snow, whether it falls in the Eastfarthing or the West. I’m going to catch up with Berry.”

Merry waited a respectable minute while Freddy rode on before taking on the task of interrogating the young, future Thain. “Well?” he finally spoke.

Pippin gave surly sideways glance at his cousin. “Well, what?”

“Something’s been eating at you since breakfast this morning,” said Merry. “So I am asking what is bothering you?”

“Nothing is bothering me,” answered Pippin.

“That a lie from the pits of Mordor, and you know it,” said Merry, hoping to spur his cousin into divulging his secret pain. “I am asking with genuine interest, Pip. You know that you are my dearest friend--aside from my lovely Stella, and I care about you.”

Pippin stared straight ahead, his thoughts a pool of emotions. Taking in a deep, long breath he blurted what had been on his mind since leaving the Smials. “Diamond and I had an argument.”

Merry pursed his lips, silently nodding at the revelation. “She didn’t want you to travel, I take it.”

“She doesn’t understand, Merry,” Pippin began ranting, “She thinks it’s all right for herself to be round sick children--ill with an unknown plague, yet when I mentioned that I was travelling to Bree--with three other hobbits, she baulked at the idea.” He went on to give full account of the disagreement.

“I don’t think either one of you are understanding one another,” said Merry.

“Excuse me?”

“What is Diamond, may I ask?”

An obstinate lass…,” Pippin muttered sarcastically. “I don’t know--what are you getting at?”

Merry tried rephrasing his query. “What does she do for a living?”

“She watches over children,” Pippin answered, then quickly added, “but that should have nothing to do with her actions.”

“It has everything to do with her actions, Pippin,” Merry said, then explained further. “She is a childminder--taught to put the needs of children above her own--and that is exactly what she did. In theory, what if those were your children crying in the doorway hungry and cold?” Pippin fell into silent thought, so Merry continued on. “Diamond also needs to learn that you have other responsibilities in addition to being her intended--that is, assuming she says ‘yes’.” Pippin wore a forlorn expression on his face. “Cheer up, cousin,” Merry said with a smile, “You’re both going to be fine.”

* * *

“Mum, I think Miss Diamond is still asleep,” Gelly informed his mother while she helped Hilly dress for breakfast. His instructions were to knock on the lass’s door, but not to enter. If she was up and stirring about, she’d answer the door, if not then that meant Diamond was still abed. Usually Diamond rose before anyone else in order to help the younger children prepare for the day. However, Gelly’s news did not surprised Pim; the poor lass stayed quietly in her room throughout the day before, coming out only for meals. Like the rest of the family, they overheard the cross words that the couple exchanged in the hallway the other night.

Pimpernel gently pulled her eldest toward the youngest, standing to her feet, “Help your brother attach his braces to the back of breeches while I go and see about Miss Diamond.”

Inside the small room, the lantern burned low upon Diamond’s beside table while the tween appeared buried beneath her ruffled quilt.

“I know you’re awake, Diamond,” Pimpernel spoke softly. “You can’t hide inside your room forever, dear.”

“A fortnight will do,” Diamond finally replied after a long moment, sounding very nasal.

Pimpernel sat gently upon the bedside, pulling back a bit of the quilt revealing Diamond’s puffy red eyes and nose. “Is this what you’re going to do every time you and Pip have a disagreement, hmm?”

“It wasn’t just any disagreement, Mrs. Brownfield,” Diamond wiped her eyes, “he accused me of purposely putting my life in danger--and then off he goes to Bree while brigands lie in wait along the road for travellers.”

“The road has never been completely safe, Diamond,” answered Pim. “I remember many tales when I was a little lass about Big Folk being seen upon the road, or terrible deeds taking place there. I remember being fearful for my father when he travelled to Michel Delving for trade.”

“I told him I didn’t want him to go,” said Diamond.

Pim smiled warmly at the upset tween. “I think the Valar had a hand in this love match,” she said while combing the long, curly tresses behind Diamond’s ear. “Or, at least, Pippin has met his match in stubbornness.”

“What if he’s attacked?” Diamond couldn’t hold her tears any longer and sobbed.

“Hush, lass,” Pim whispered, helping Diamond to sit up, taking her into a gentle hug. “The both of you are so obstinate that you can’t see what the other is pointing at. Yes, Diamond, if your mistress failed to tell you--which I doubt, then I must inform you that whenever you enter a home where sick children abide, you are liable to catch whatever they are carrying. You knew the healer was on her way, but you went inside anyway.”

“But the children…,” Diamond sniffled, resting her weary head upon Pimpernel’s shoulder.

“It was very nice what you did, going inside to comfort the children,” Pimpernel said soothingly, “That is what you were taught to do, but, Diamond love, there isn’t just you to think about anymore.”

“I suppose I’m not used to considering another person in my life,” said Diamond, taking the handkerchief Pimpernel offered.

“I know that,” said Pim, “however, for the foreseeable future, I think Pip deserves some, don’t you think?” Diamond nodded. Pim continued, “I know everything happed quickly at Mrs. Smallburrow’s that you barely had time to think, but in the future you’re going to have to give yourself that time in order to weigh your options better. And as for Pippin…”

Diamond gazed up at Pimpernel, waiting for her next words.

“Pippin must learn to do the same, however…” said Pim, her words tinged with a bit of sadness, “we must also remember that Pippin doesn’t exactly belong to just us anymore. He also belongs to the rest of the Shire--to the Big People in the south, even. We tend to forget that he is a Knight--a trained soldier of the High King and must therefore share him with the rest of the world. That means, when troubles come to the Shire or anywhere else in the king’s realm, Pippin must be ready to defend it. Do you understand what I am saying, Diamond?”

Diamond nodded. “I understand everything you have said and more,” she answered without giving away that Pippin had told her virtually every detail of his journey, “but what I don’t like is him travelling a dangerous road for a joy ride to Bree. He isn’t on King’s business, so this trip isn’t necessary.”

“Not exactly,” said Pim, her heart cringing at the wee lie she was about to tell. “Pippin is on an errand of secrecy--the Thain couldn’t go himself so he sent his heir.” Pimpernel prayed that this itty bitty lie wouldn’t snowball into something she couldn’t control. She wasn’t all that good at lying--except to Pervinca, and that was only to tease her.

“Why didn’t he just say so?” said Diamond.

“He, umm…,” Pimpernel thought quickly, “He didn’t want to worry you--you know, with those highwaymen loitering about.”

Diamond pondered Pippin’s “reasoning” while Pimpernel answered the knock upon the adjacent door. She heard the lads asking their mother about breakfast.

“The children are hungry,” Diamond said after Pim spoke with the lads. “I don’t wish to eat breakfast with the family this morning--if that’s all right, Mrs. Brownfield.”

“I thought as much,” said Pimpernel, once again sitting upon the edge of Diamond’s bed. The tween’s eyes and nose were still puffy and red. “That’s why I told Gelly to go on ahead to the dining room and ask the server to bring you a tray. Perhaps when you’re feeling better, we can have a bit of tea out in the garden with mother while the lads play.” Pim patted Diamond’s hand, trying her best to give a cheery smile, “Do try to rest up a bit.”

Sometime later, Diamond heard yet another knock upon her door. Who could it be this time?, she wondered, pulling herself out from under the toasty blankets. As soon as her feet touched the floor, a chill ran through her and up her arms. Diamond put on her nightcoat to appropriately dress for visitors. “Poppy,” Diamond said rather sluggishly, her eyes adjusting to the light. “What is the time?”

“It’s past ten o’clock, Miss Diamond,” Poppy answered her friend. “I have a favour to ask, if you please.”

Past ten o’clock? But she only fell asleep just a few minutes ago… “What is it?” Diamond asked.

“Miss Nina, who works in the laundry room, asked that I bring back some of Mr. Pippin’s things when I took the Thain’s and the Mistress’s clean laundry.” Poppy leaned in to whisper, “I don’t feel right goin’ inside his room without someone bein’ there--if you know what I mean.”

Diamond smiled in spite of the fact that she felt achy and sleepy. “I will go inside with you, though his entire family trusts you, I daresay. If they didn’t, you wouldn’t be working so closely with them.”

“Thank you, Miss Diamond!” Poppy exhaled the breath she was holding. “I tried Mrs. Brownfield’s door, but no one answered. I think they went out to the garden.”

“Yes, I suppose they did,” Diamond remarked, following Poppy inside Pippin’s room across the hall. Diamond felt so fatigued that she sat at Pippin’s desk while Poppy laid the clean clothes neatly inside the wardrobe. As she did so, Diamond happened to look down at Pippin’s schedule tablet and locked her eyes on one particular entry: “Sterday, Foreyule 3, Meet Dori at Bree”.

Initially, the fog in Diamond’s head didn’t grasp what she had read, and then suddenly it all was clear. Pippin was meeting another lass in Bree! Diamond let out the most pitiful whimper.

“What is it, Miss Diamond?” asked Poppy, putting away the last of Pippin’s shirts.

It took Diamond a few seconds to regain her composure. “N-nothing…just…I’m not feeling so good.”

“Let me help you back to your room,” said Poppy, taking her friend by the arm. “You are quite warm,” Poppy observed as she walked beside the Diamond. “I’m going to fetch Mrs. Brownfield.”

TBC…oy!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List