Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Courtship of Peregrin Took  by PIppinfan1988

Note: My apologies for the long delay in updating. Last week had been quite surreal for many of us. I didn’t have the heart to write until late Friday. All I can say is thank God for answered prayer. This chapter is for Dreamflower…whenever she gets round to reading it. Can’t wait to read about your "adventures"! Now on with the story…

Chapter Twenty-three - Battle of Long Cleeve

The jostling of the carriage was just beginning to take its toll on Pippin when the carriage stopped in a small village called Waterfield, just south of The Water on the Oatbarton road. The other passengers began to stir from their respective dozing or book reading at the time Mat the driver opened the compartment door. Gelly was the first--and the one with the most energy, to hop out. Pippin went next so that he could assist Diamond to disembark. Merry followed behind everyone.

Before setting out that morning from Tuckborough, Pimpernel took her brother aside. “Gelly is all packed and ready to go, Pip. If her mother can do it, then so can I.”

Pippin cautioned his sister, “It’s a long ride, Pim. There’s no turning back because he decides he doesn’t want to do it anymore.”

“I spoke with Gelly this morning, and he wants to go with you. I asked him that if there is any possibility that he might not want to deliver the message, then not to do it. I made it as clear as I could that I was not forcing him to do this task.” The plan was for the young thirteen-year-old to respond to Mistress Opal’s letter in the capacity of being Mrs. Brownfield’s representative. Pimpernel wrote her own response to Opal North-took and then sealed it with her own signet. Pimpernel had made mention that she would go directly herself and speak to Mistress Opal, however, her family reminded her of the fact that Hilly was still too young to travel so far, nor too young to stay behind for long without her. On ponyback, the travellers could cover over fifty miles per day while taking short cuts--making the trek in just a day and half. However, since one of the travelling hobbits had an aversion to riding ponies, the only other option was to take a carriage. And that meant a slower journey--two full days of it, yet for Diamond’s sake, Pippin was willing to endure it.

Pippin relented on his nephew accompanying them, thinking that maybe Gelly could keep Merry entertained (or perhaps the other way around) during the long ride.

The company departed shortly after first breakfast, stopping in Waymeet for elevenses, ate a late picnic lunch midway between Waymeet and the Three Farthing Stone. Later, they made a wee detour and stopped in Bywater for tea, leaving a message for the Gamgees and the Cottons at the Ivy Bush that on their return trip, they would take time for a proper visit. On they went again eastward on the East-West Road, passing the Three Farthing Stone and then turned northward on the Oatbarton road. After another hour of riding, they currently stood road weary and hungry on the porch of The Waterhole Inn, just south of The Water…and in time for a belated supper.

The tired travellers enjoyed a fish stew from the day’s fresh catch from The Water, including chips, carrots, mushrooms stuffed with bits of bacon and cheese, and two loaves of bread with butter. Afterwards, the hobbits took their ease in the common room with a mug of beer and a pipe. Except for Diamond, who decided to take her ease in a hot bath.

The following day was much the same as the first, however, because the villages and inns would be farther in between the travellers purchased provisions at the market to re-fill the picnic hamper. Before they began this last stretch of the journey, Gelly asked Mr. Aldigard if he could use his pony to ride with the younger lads for a while. Aldigard felt that this would be the perfect opportunity for him to speak with the other adults, helping them prepare for the confrontation that would take place much later in the day. Thus, he readily assented to Gelly’s request.

“Would you like to play a game of Dots?” Merry asked his new riding companion while smirking, making reference in how he kept the rambunctious teen occupied the day before.

“Not today, I think, thank you,” Aldigard replied. “How are you feeling today, Diamond?” he asked the tween.

“Angry,” she answered miserably, “Because I feel helpless. I don‘t want to live with her, and I refuse to marry that old hobbit. I shall run away if I have to.”

Pippin put his arm round her, scooting close to the lass. “You shall have to do no such thing,” he spoke softly to her. “I am bringing you home with me, remember? Have hope, Diamond.”

“You don’t know my mother,” Diamond replied.

“What can your mother do to me, hmm?” asked Pippin, taking her hand in his, “Throw me out of the house? Call me every name she can think of--besides that of a hobbit?”

“Diamond isn’t too far off, Mr. Pippin,” said Aldigard. “She’s a stubborn, embittered matron. She oppresses her own children through spiteful guilt. That is how Diamond came to live with my family. One afternoon, Opal had reduced her thirteen-year-old daughter to tears, wandering the lanes of Long Cleeve like a ragamuffin. My wife was returning from the market in town and so brought the distraught child to our home in the pony trap. Opal and I had words that day and have been foes ever since.”

“What about the other children?” asked Merry. “What about Diamond’s older sister?”

“The younger children were too young to understand what was going on at the time,” Aldigard replied, “however, Sapphira tried to protect Diamond as much as she could without incurring their mother’s indignation upon herself. Whenever Sapphira came to my house to visit her sister--and I think to use as a refuge, she inevitably suffered upon returning home because Opal felt “her” daughter betrayed her, by going to ‘Diamond’s side’.”

“Half a moment!” Pippin nearly shouted in anger, “Diamond’s side? Who’s supposed to be the grown-up in that house?”

“I’m only trying to prepare you as to what you’re up against, Mr. Pippin,” said Aldigard. “I’ve told you Opal is bitter…and I’ll tell you how she came to be that way.”

“Oh, joy,” Merry quipped--he agreed with Pippin’s assessment.

Aldigard went on, “Opal didn’t become bitter overnight, mind you. It ate at her heart everyday since the moment she became Mrs. North-took. You see, her and my brother’s marriage had been arranged. Opal apparently had been duped into thinking she was marrying into the wealthier branch of the North-tooks. I mean, we live well enough, all of our children are educated, however, Opal insists on maintaining a style of living in which she grew up. Nearly put Bando in the poor house, she did. My brothers Fredigard, Isenbard--we call him Bart, Bandogrim, and I had just started our own business as pony trainers and spent a lot of our extra time at honing our craft. Fred, Bart, and I were already married, but Bando kept dragging his feet in looking for a wife, saying he was too busy. He was nearing forty-two-years-old when mum and dad approached our little brother with a proposal of arranging a marriage for him--to a lass named Opal Clayhanger, whose parents had already broached the idea to mum and dad. Her family was quite wealthy, and so Opal assumed we were, too. She got a rude awakening on her wedding day--we brothers thought perhaps she rankled her family in some fashion to end up with one of us!” Ando said with a cheerless snicker. “We reeked of pony apples and saddle soap everyday--and at the time, our business was new and floundering, so we had very few pennies to rub together.

“Bando wasn’t always the brightest of our lot, but he imagined most arranged marriages worked out all right and so he thought given time his would, too. It was a marvel that his first two children were born, then we thought that maybe he got her a bit tipsy in order to have the second two. Bando wanted a houseful of lads and lasses, but if Opal had it her way, they’d have only one.”

“That answered a lot for me,” Diamond said mournfully, leaning against Pippin. She had heard this tale at times before while at family gatherings, but it still hurt to think she wasn’t exactly wanted by her mother.

Pippin pulled Diamond closer, giving her a loving kiss on her head. “It doesn’t answer anything for me,” he said softly.

“Pippin’s right; just because Opal fell into a an unwanted marriage,” said Merry, “she had no right to take vengeance on her children.”

“You say what is on the minds of all my siblings, Mr. Merry,” said Aldigard. “Opal’s children have three uncles and two aunts--our sisters--who would fight tooth and nail for any of them if we thought for one second Opal would give us guardianship. She won’t because her delight comes from emotionally afflicting her children. It’s her way of making everyone miserable.”

At this point, the travelling hobbits stopped in the road for luncheon, unhitching the draught-ponies to nibble at the green tufts of grass. Andobras and Valdigrim carried the large hamper and a blanket toward the lush, green vale near to the road to have a picnic. Diamond, still a bit upset, stayed inside the carriage and Pippin with her.

“Diamond, will you eat something if I brought you a plate?” asked Merry from outside the door. The young tween nodded. He looked up toward Pippin, “I’ll bring you both a plate.”

“Thanks, Merry.”

“Diamond,” Pippin whispered quietly into her ear when they were alone. “I am very angry with your mother right now. She is more a ogre than a mother--I now understand why you don’t want to go home; it wasn’t a happy place at all for you. Your mother may have not wanted children--or you, but I want you, Diamond.” Tears formed in Pippin’s eyes when Diamond wordlessly gazed up at him with her own tear-filled eye. He smiled his tears, “and I am so glad that you were born! To be here in my life for me to enjoy…I love you, Diamond,” Pippin said, leaning down to kiss her. For a long while Pippin held the lass snug in his arms, gently stroking her curls. He shuddered to think that whatever love Diamond developed for children--or people in general, was certainly not obtained from her mother.

Diamond nestled up to Pippin, allowing him to comfort her in her moment of emotional distress. She felt safe and secure in his arms; she felt their gentle strength as he held her, his fingers caressing her curls. She did not want him to let go.

Unfortunately, Pippin’s attention went to the door where Merry stood, quietly placing two plates upon the bench across from the couple. How long Merry had been there, Pippin did not know, but he noted that Merry said nothing--neither clearing his throat to (even jestingly) halt the warmth of an affectionate touch. Merry had his own bit of history with his father, so Pippin imagined that his cousin felt Diamond needed this moment.

The rest of the hobbits wasted no time in eating lunch; soon they were back on the road, though there was less talking this time as the air became muggy and rain clouds gathered above. Much was on Pippin’s mind; everything Aldigard said earlier only served to feed Pippin’s growing anger at Opal.

The afternoon wore on and the sky grew more overcast; Pippin pulled down his shirtsleeves when he felt a cool gust of air against his skin. “Storm’s coming,” said Merry observing the clouds.

The hobbits stopped for tea at Oatbarton, hoping the clouds would pass by without a hard rain. Once their bellies were filled with cheese, bread, and sweet cakes, the group was on their way in the carriage again. They headed a couple miles up the road until a broad lane opened up to their left (west), where a sign was posted on the corner pointing toward the north. It read, ‘Long Cleeve’.

“Local lads,” explained Aldigard. He looked out the compartment window watching Andobras turn the sign to point back toward west. “They think it’s funny.” Merry grinned at the mischief, and also relieved that this long trip would finally come to an end. He was already missing his Stella and the children.

“It won’t be long now,” Aldigard said to his travelling companions. “Another two miles and we’ll be there.” Although this wasn’t the home of Pippin, Merry, and Gelly, this area of land was indeed home to Aldigard, and he was also anxious to get home to his own family.

Pippin looked to the lass beside him, who wore a blank expression on her face.

At the sound of a few raindrops, Aldigard suddenly shouted to the driver, “Stop the carriage!” When they came to a halt, he jumped out of the carriage, calling for Gelly. “Inside you go, lad,” he said while lifting the young teen into the compartment. “The clouds are going to pelt rain upon us right now,” the elder hobbit said. Just as the Aldigard predicted, Pippin and Merry looked up at the ceiling when the sound of hard, splashing rain drowned out all conversation.

“I don’t envy them,” said Merry lifted his voice over the din while retrieving carriage window shutters from under his and Gelly’s bench.

The carriage was made with open compartment windows, although outfitted with thin wooden shutters (stored under the bench seats) that slid inside specially made grooves to protect passengers during inclement weather. “Neither do I, though we’ll be rained upon ourselves soon enough,” said Pippin, sliding in one of the shutters then opened the vertical slats for a peek. He looked out to see houses with a candle lit in the window every few hundred feet or so. Soon, they passed the town well in the village square. It was dark now, so the small ‘roof’ over it was difficult to make out.

“Why don’t we go on to my house?” yelled Aldigard into the half-open shutters. “It’s late and we’re soaked to the skin.”

“I agree,” said Pippin. “We’re all exhausted and I should like to face my opponent with a bit of sleep under my braces.” Pippin could feel Diamond’s tense muscles relax under his sheltering arm.

“Val said he is going to give Opal word that we’ve arrived in the neighbourhood,” said Aldigard, “so he might sleep in his own bed tonight.”

Might?” asked Pippin.

“Yes,” Aldi replied, “from what I understand, she’s told him not to come home without his sister, so I don’t think that this will be a happy homecoming for the lad, either.”

“Surely you are not indicating that Opal would turn her own son out into the chill of night and the rain?” Pippin watched Aldigard shrug his shoulders in reply.

“She’s done it before when Val stayed out past his curfew, although it wasn’t raining at those times,” Diamond put in with a yawn. “He usually makes for uncle’s house, but unless he’s riding a pony, it’s a long walk from here.”

“I told him to keep my pony with him--just in case,” said Aldigard.

Now Pippin was truly disgusted; more fuel for the fire. Merry felt no better. “I stayed out past my curfew when I was Val’s age,” said Merry. “All my father did was give me extra chores to do the next evening. Tweens are like that at his age.”

“We forget who we’re dealing with, cousin,” said Pippin, his green eyes lit with the light of battle.

Twenty minutes later, the carriage slowly rolled to a stop. Having the picnic blanket inside the riding compartment, Merry pulled it out to cover Diamond with when Pippin helped her out. “Gelly, you go inside the house with Miss Diamond,” he said over the noisy rain.

The following morning, Pippin jostled the bed as he carefully rolled over so as not to shove Merry to the floor on the other side…only to find his cousin’s side of the bed already empty. Pippin laid upon his back with his hands behind his head, mulling over his plans for attack later that day.

“You’re up,” said Merry, shutting the door behind him.

“Where were you?” asked Pippin.

“Doing what I do every morning upon waking,” answered Merry. “Nothing’s changed in that respect since Crickhollow, Pip. And for your information, it’s the last room down the hall.”

Pippin finished musing on Opal for the moment. He whiffed the fragrant air of eggs and sausages cooking that his cousin let inside the room, feeling his stomach growl. “I’m hungry,” he said while rubbing his belly.

Merry filled the washbowl with fresh water from the pitcher on the washstand to prepare for breakfast. He grinned, giving Pippin a wink, “Diamond’s helping her aunt to make breakfast. Smells delicious, don’t you think?” Merry laughed when Pippin suddenly flew out of the bed to start his morning…ritual.

Once again in the carriage, the little group headed back in the direction of Opal’s house. Pippin’s thoughts whirled about inside his head as Diamond’s flat cakes and sausages settled nicely in his stomach. Across from Pippin on the other bench was Merry, opening a sack that contained the books necessary for Pippin’s argument. He ensured the markers had not fallen out from between their respective pages. Gelly nervously bounced his leg up and down upon the ball of his one foot; he couldn’t wait for all of this to be over and well on his way home.

The weather from the night before had dissipated, leaving the lane with deep puddles that Mat the driver chose not to take the ponies through unless it was shallow enough to determine the depth. Hence, it was slow going. The air itself remained moist, though fresh, while the day promised to be quite warm and muggy as the sun rose higher, evaporating the dampness.

Pippin tried to convince Diamond to stay behind with her auntie, but she was determined to speak her mind to her mother. She presently sat beside Pippin, deep in her own thoughts. Her uncle Aldigard sat up with Mat, talking to the old hobbit and giving direction to Opal’s house.

Before long, the carriage pulled into a narrow lane on the right. Pippin took in a long, deep breath. He heard the door to the house creak open while he helped his nephew and Diamond step out of the carriage. There in the doorway stood Opal North-took, arms folded over her bosom with a scowl on her face.

“Well, it’s about time,” she said to the arriving party. Then she spied the two gentle-hobbits on either side of Diamond. What in the Shire possessed the Thain’s son to accompany her daughter? And who was the other fellow? “You’ve been expected since last night, lass.”

Aldigard walked at the head of the group approaching the door then made the introductions. “You may have been expecting your daughter since last night, Opal, but Diamond is not staying here. Indeed, she is not staying in Long Cleeve.” Opal raised an eyebrow. Aldigard went on, “Diamond is returning to Great Smials tomorrow morning in the company of these lads.” He grinned at the satisfaction of seeing Opal’s genuine surprise.

“Do come in and explain yourselves,” said Opal, giving way to her guests.

Everyone had taken a seat at the large kitchen table, except for Diamond, who became their hostess, setting the tea kettle on to boil. She then took an empty chair beside Pippin that he had saved for her. She did not look at her mother, although Diamond could feel the old matron boring holes into her with her hard gaze. At Pippin’s prompting, Diamond spoke up. “It is just as uncle says, mum; I am returning to Great Smials tomorrow with Mist--with Pippin, Mr. Merry, and master Gelbrin.” Gelly made a sour face at hearing his full name. Diamond now looked her mother in the eye, “And I will not marry this Otto Bracegirdle you have arranged for me.”

Opal stared angry daggers at Diamond. “The contract has already been signed by his family and me--seven witnesses just as our laws require in red ink. I don’t understand why you are so suddenly kicking your heels at me--seems to me that Mr. Took here is provoking you to say such.”

Pippin opened his mouth to speak forth, but was prevented by Diamond’s reply to her mother. “Pippin is doing no such thing, mother. I am only repeating what I have been saying for the past five days since Mrs. Brownfield received your letter. The only reason why I am sitting here this morning is because the Thain, uncle Aldigard, and Pippin convinced me that it is within your rights as my mother, and me being under age, to require my presence in this house.” Diamond spied her mother’s premature grin. “However,” Diamond continued firmly, “I have since learned that it is within my rights to refuse an arranged marriage.” Inwardly, Pippin grinned, outwardly, he remained placid.

Opal turned her glare onto Pippin though her question was aimed at Diamond. “And how, pray tell, did you come to learn such nonsense?”

Pippin wasn’t the least bit intimidated. He quickly interjected, “As you have already guessed, I informed her. I felt it was not only my duty within my capacity as the Thain’s assistant, but also as Diamond’s friend.”

“I don’t believe any of it,” said Opal. “The marriage continues on as planned.” Gelly quietly got up when the kettle began to steam, finding the cups in the sideboard he served the tea. His ‘grown-up’ deed quietly noted by both of his uncles.

“I think not,” said Pippin, feeling a bit cheeky. “Well…not as planned anyway--you may wed him if you please. You see, according to Shire law, Diamond is truly within her rights to refuse, and so the contract you speak of is null. You must understand, Mistress Opal, that your children are not your private chattel to sell off through marriage contracts. If I were to take a closer look at this contract that you say exists, I should suspect that you stand very well off in it--in spite of the fact that you are not the one who will bear Otto’s children nor care for them for the next thirty-three years.”

“How long did it take you to discover that bit of untruth?” Opal sneered.

Pippin was in his element; he leaned back in his chair with utmost confidence. “Not long at all, Mistress Opal,” he said. “The Thain’s heir receives extensive instruction in Shire law. Granted, our law books only fill four small volumes, however, I am well versed in all four. My cousin, Merry Brandybuck, heir to the Master of Buckland, also receives training in Shire law in addition to his own studies in Buckland law, and I the same in reverse. So his presence here is no accident, Mistress Opal. Merry's got the volumes in question with him if you’d like to read the case in point yourself.”

“I do!” said the matron. Opal wasn’t giving up without a fight. And neither was Pippin, knowing that he had to be sitting in the victor’s chair at the moment. Merry accommodated Opal; he and Aldigard switched chairs so that Opal could better read the passages. Opal scowled the more she read the first instance, and then blanched while reading the second. Just the effect Pippin was looking for.

Opal looked up, “What was the purpose in my reading the second part?”

“It’s not clear?” asked Pippin, “Then let me explain. We’ve been sitting here for close to half an hour and you have not asked the whereabouts of your son. You haven’t even asked Diamond about her injury nor looked at it. I have not heard anyone else walking round inside the house--where is Gemma, might I ask?”

Opal was not as self-assured as she was moments ago. She sighed, “Gemma took apprenticeship with Marta Winterbottom the day after I sent Valdigrim to fetch Diamond. As for Valdigrim, I supposed that he would go to my brother-in-law’s house.”

Pippin glared at Opal. “You supposed he was at his uncle’s? He should never have been turned out into the night, Mistress Opal. Valdigrim is barely twenty-three years old--he will require the guidance of his parents for some years to come--and since you are his only surviving parent, then that is your responsibility. If you need help, then it is your duty to ask for it. He is your child, just as Gemma and Diamond are. Yet you have done nothing to nurture any of your four children.

“The second passage you just read refers to an argument put before the Thain over a hundred years ago. The matter coud not be resolved within his own family.  A twenty-nine-year-old lad who lived in Little Delving asked the Thain to dissociate him from his father. Thain Isengrim III approved his request for two reasons. First, because there was evidence that the lad’s father mistreated his son, taking the anger of his circumstances out on his child. Second, because the lad was a full apprentice employed and housed by the blacksmith--his master, quite capable of sustaining himself.” Pippin gazed pitifully at the bitter matron, “I think you see what I am getting at, Mistress. Either you can allow Diamond to return to Great Smials of your own will, or…we can take this a step further--and I can tell you that my father and I think alike in matters such as these.”

Opal’s grey eyes stared ahead at nothing in particular, feeling the sting of defeat. “I am tried and judged I take it.”

“Tried, yes,” Pippin answered softly, “but not yet judged. I spoke with Val before we left and suggested to him that he stay with one of his uncles for at least a fortnight, at which time he may return to you or stay where he is. Your son seemed agreeable with that idea, Mistress. You turned him out into the cold rain last night for no reason, and I expect he will not soon forget that. I highly suggest that you to take the time to check up on all of your children wherever they may be. Take an interest in their lives--win back their trust and encourage them, though I daresay it will take a long time with your eldest children. But you still have a chance with your two youngest. That is up to you. We’re decent folk south of The Water; Diamond and I will visit Long Cleeve from time to time, talking with her siblings, asking if their mother has been behaving herself.”

Opal focussed her eyes on the tall Took. “You and Diamond--visiting?”

Pippin smiled, taking Diamond’s hand to kiss it in the presence of all, “You didn’t know?” he said with a grin, “Diamond and I have been officially courting for…” he looked at his pocket watch, “almost three days exactly! I am very much in love with your daughter, Mistress Opal, even if you aren’t.” Pippin felt Diamond squeeze his hand under the table.

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List