Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Courtship of Peregrin Took  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Twenty-One - The Fate of One

The ride home from the fairgrounds was a long one; Pippin was grateful when it was finally over. Stepping inside the great door, he accompanied Diamond to her door. “I want to go with you,” she said to Pippin.

“Everard is only going to inform my father and me--and Pim--on what happened earlier. It most likely won’t be anything that we haven’t already discussed or read in the letter.” He lifted her chin, “If your uncle is present, I will return so that you may greet him. Otherwise, I shall see you in the morning?” The tween nodded. Pippin kissed her hand, “Good night, Diamond.”

* * *

Diamond tossed and turned upon her mattress until she thought she had every bump and lump memorized. She felt beyond exhausted this night; her mother plagued every waking thought, chasing away any hope of sleep. Irritated and tired, Diamond angrily kicked off her blanket. “I’m not going home!” she muttered, sitting up. Diamond threw out any notion of finding sleep until the matter was addressed in the morning. She turned the lantern up then padded over to her wardrobe. Pulling on her nightcoat, the tween ambled into the hallway. Diamond looked up at a clock that hung upon the tunnel wall; four o’clock in the morning. She smiled, then turned down one particular passage.

“I thought you’d never come,” said the familiar voice. “I’ve been waiting for you.”

“I tried to sleep,” said Diamond, entering the parlour with a yawn, “but instead of sweet dreams, there was an image of my wretched mother that turned them into nightmares.”

“Surely you don’t mean that,” said Pippin.

“Yes, I do.”

Pippin sighed; “I couldn’t sleep, either.” He gazed at the lovely lass with her bed hair and lopsided bandage staring blankly at the game pieces. “Come with me,” he said, taking her by the hand.

“Where are we going?”

“Just over here on the couch,” Pippin answered, “where we can talk more easily.”

Diamond looked nervously about the room, “We’re not going to do anything naughty, are we?”

“No!” he laughed. “We’re sitting in the parlour--an open room for all to see inside. Besides, I’m not a naughty lad.”

Relieved, Diamond settled onto the couch next to Pippin. “I keep thinking that perhaps Sapphira and Hildebrand were naughty. That’s why they got married so suddenly.”

“Haven’t you opened her letter yet?”

“No--and I don’t want to know.”

“Now don’t go and trump up things that might not be true,” Pippin cautioned the tween. He shifted his sitting position on the couch to face Diamond. “What I should like to know is why home is such a depressing place for you. Very few tweenagers live over thirty leagues from their families without getting homesick. I have yet to see you pine away for your family.”

Diamond casually shrugged. “I suppose my mum and I were never really close. I always trailed after my dad while Sapphira stayed near to our mum. But after our dad died, mum changed--she became bitter.”

“Toward you?”

Diamond grew a bit uneasy. “Not only me, Sapphira, too. I don’t recall my mum being so sour when I was a little lass. Later on though, when I was an older teen, and I would visit from uncle Aldi’s house she’d say things to both Sapphira and me about how I was the last person to see our dad alive, and that not being able to recall anything of that night was false. There was no question that her comments were aimed to make me feel bad. Since then, the air has always tense between us.”

Pippin shook his head sadly, “She would actually say things to you as if you stood there watching the whole ordeal and did nothing for your father! You were a child--what did she expect you to do? Did your uncle know about this?”

Diamond nodded, “Yes. I once came back home--to his home--in tears. Next thing I know, he’s storming of the house and taking me with him. He made me stay outside in the wagon, but after what seemed to be the longest hour of my life he came and took me to my mother.”

“And what did she do?” asked Pippin, wanting to say a few things to Opal himself.

“She said she was sorry,” Diamond spoke softly. “She hugged me. For a very quick moment, I thought my old mum was back--I even saw her when I looked into her eyes. Then the moment was gone. I looked into the cold stare of her anger.” Tears sprang from Diamonds eyes as she went on. “I lived with my uncle and his family for eleven years. I was twenty-four when I went back to live with my own family, and my mum hadn’t changed a bit. Yet to this day, I still don’t know why she hates me so.”

Pippin scooted closer to put his arm round the lass and comfort her. “We don’t have to talk anymore, Diamond,” he said, kissing her head. “Let’s just sit here for a while and watch the sunrise.”

Once the sun rose up, greeting the young couple through the large round window of the parlour, Pippin walked Diamond to her room, as they both needed to make themselves presentable for breakfast.

The first meal of the day was a sombre one for the Took family, except for the young children who weren’t old enough to understand the issue. Pippin noticed that Diamond barely touched her food. He looked down at his own plate; he wasn‘t feeling particularly hungry, either. Afterward, Pippin, his cousin, brothers-in-law, and father were sitting in the parlour having an after breakfast smoke.

“At what time is the meeting to take place in your study, Father?” Pippin asked.

“Promptly at nine o’clock,” answered Paladin. “I’ve sent word to Aldigard and the lads.”

“Diamond ought to have some sort of emotional support through all of this,” said Merry. “I’ll see if Stella will keep her company this morning.”

Merimas concurred. “I’ll ask Pervinca the same, though I think none of the lasses will think twice about keeping Diamond’s mind occupied.”

Pippin looked gratefully at his “brothers”, “Thank you. I should be more at ease knowing Diamond is surrounded by those who love her.”

“In truth,” said Paladin, exhaling a plume of smoke, “I think Miss Diamond ought to be in the meeting, as it concerns her.”

“Very well, Father,” said Pippin laying aside his pipe in an ash bowl. “I shall go and bring her.” To hear Diamond’s wishes from her very own mouth should help their cause. Fifteen minutes before the meeting was scheduled to begin, Pippin escorted the tween to his father’s study to greet her uncle and have a few private words with him beforehand.

“Hullo, Diamond,” Aldigard embraced his niece.

“Hullo, uncle,” she responded, “I wish mum would have come herself--that way, this matter should be over with already.”

“I’ll be in Everard’s study should you need me,” said Pippin, taking his leave.

“Please…stay,” said Diamond. “I want you to meet my dear uncle.” She then properly introduced them.

“At your service,” said Pippin with a bow, receiving the same courtesy from Aldigard. He then considered Diamond’s comment. “However, I too, should like to know the answer to Diamond’s remark. Why didn’t Mistress Opal travel with you?”

A gleam of North-took temper shown in Aldigard’s eyes. “Because at this moment she is busy conferring with Otto Bracegirdle.”

Who?” Diamond demanded. “And why?”

Aldigard replied, “He is whom your mum is arranging to be your husband come this Yule season.”

“Not while I live!” Diamond retorted. “Mr. Otto is fifty-nine years old--no! I absolutely will not marry that hobbit!”

“He’s almost old enough to be her father,” Pippin put in, also growing irate. “Besides, there are more than enough unmarried lasses in the Shire that are a bit older and willing to marry hobbits of Otto’s age.” Again, he looked at Aldigard, “Why Diamond?”

“If truth be told,” replied Aldigard, “I don’t believe Otto cares who he marries--all he’s wanting is an heir to carry on his name. However…there’s money in it for Opal. A lifetime’s worth, to be sure. She says she’s looking after her daughters, but what Opal’s really doing is making sure that she’s ‘cared for’ throughout the rest of her life. Opal thinks she has no one to provide for her, failing to see her own flesh and blood performing that task in her later years. So she provides for herself--at the expense of her own children.”

“Well, she is going to learn it from one of her own flesh and blood,” said Diamond with determination. “I will not marry Mr. Otto Bracegirdle--or any other hobbit she arranges for me.” Pippin regarded the lass beside him with veneration; she most assuredly had a strong spirit about her.

Aldigard smiled sadly, “Enough about Opal’s nuptial activities--for now. I want to hear about you, lass. I really wanted to come south to see if you were genuinely happy here,” he told Diamond. “Sapphira said that you were writing her but suddenly stopped after she married. Is everything well between you two lasses?”

Diamond hesitated, her thoughts all tumbling inside her weary head at once. “I have some questions for you at a later time--if you don’t mind.”

Aldigard put his arm round his niece’s shoulder, “I don’t mind at all, though I can easily imagine what is on your mind.” The hobbits sat upon one of the couches to relax a bit. “Your auntie and I both were worried when we learned about your accident,” said Aldigard to Diamond. “Even your mum seemed worried about your welfare--or so I thought. She asked that I accompany Valdigrim to see how you were faring, and then I learned of her true motive.” By this time, Paladin and Everard, the recorder for the meeting, entered the study.

“My mother can plot my wedding all she wants,” said Diamond, “but I won’t be there. And I am not going back to that house.”

Aldigard looked at his niece sadly, “She’s gone and made Valdigrim her representative--he is to speak for her, and I daresay Opal has thoroughly instructed the lad in what she wants done.”

“Pardon me?” Pippin interjected with alarm. “You mean Diamond’s fate--her life rests in the hands of a twenty-three-year-old tween?”

Aldigard let out a long breath, “So it seems.”

Pippin looked round the room. “Has anyone even seen him? Where is he?”

“Down at the stables looking at the ponies,” said Andobras from the doorway. “I couldn’t tear him away. Hullo, Diamond.”

“Hullo, Ando,” Diamond answered softly.

Pippin was incredulous. “He couldn’t tear himself away from the ponies to see about his sister?” He turned to Paladin, “This is absurd.” Pippin’s inner hope was that his uproar over Valdigrim’s decision-making abilities would appear the ridiculous notion that it was.

“She’s written her instructions down,” said Aldigard, handing over yet another letter to Pippin.

Pippin read the second letter and then gave it to his father. “I do not believe Valdigrim is mature enough to make such an important decision in someone else’s life, Father.” Without any of them realizing it, for all intents and purposes, the meeting had started.

“I agree,” said Paladin, “but apart from what you and I think, those are her wishes. Nevertheless, Miss Diamond does not belong to me--nor to Pimpernel. According to Shire law, Miss Diamond is a minor youth, and therefore if her mother wants her back home, there is nothing you, Pim, or I can do about it. I wanted to have this meeting because I thought Miss Diamond stood a chance to rebut her mother’s demand, however, because of Mistress Opal’s second letter, my hands are tied, son. If she had not the forethought to compose such a note, then I should not feel obliged to give in to her demand.”

All eyes riveted toward the door when it creaked open. Young Valdigrim appeared within. “I apologize for being tardy,” said the tween.

“Sit down, lad,” said Paladin, directing the youth toward a seat beside Aldigard. “Are you keeping up with everything Ev?”

Everard sat at his writing table, silently nodding while he finished writing. At last, he looked up, “Yes, uncle--sir,” then quickly dipped his quill-pen into the ink jar.

“Well, young Master Valdigrim,” Paladin set a keen eye on the tween, “it appears your mother has sent you to speak in her stead regarding your sister.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Miss Diamond, would you care to convey your wishes to your brother?”

Initially, Diamond’s voice was barely audible, but then it grew stronger as she went on. “I don’t want to go home, Val. You already know this. I want to remain here at Great Smials, employed by Mrs. Brownfield as her children’s minder.”

“But mum wants you home,” said the lad, avoiding his sister’s gaze. “She…she says she misses you.”

“That is a lie, Val, and you know it well!” said Diamond, her eyes filled with tears. “Why are you doing this?”

“May I, dad?” asked Andobras, indicating he wanted to take an upset Diamond out of the room.

Aldigard looked to the Thain, who nodded his approval. After the tweens left the room, Paladin shifted uneasily where he sat. “You are your mother’s spokes-hobbit, Valdigrim,” he said. “What is your judgement?”

Valdigrim looked at his feet, answering slowly, “I judge that my sister, Diamond, returns home to our mother.”

“Well, there’s nothing for it then,” Pippin sighed, standing up, considering the whole meeting pointless. However, he still was not about to give up; wheels of ingenuity were already spinning round in his head.

“Pippin, I must abide by her mother’s request,” said Paladin.

Valdigrim made hastily for the door while the other hobbits milled about. Everard busied himself with neatly laying out the papers on his writing table to dry; he would write out two copies later this afternoon. Seeing that the meeting was over, Ando and Diamond re-entered the Thain’s study. Her features depicting sadness, defeat.

Pippin took Diamond aside to speak to her privately. “Will you have elevenses out in the garden with me?” he asked her. In spite of her misery, Diamond nodded.

When everyone had gone from the room, Pippin stood face to face with the Thain. “I’m going with her, father,” said Pippin, “and I’m going to bring her back home, too.”

“I’m sorry, Pip,” said the elder hobbit. “My faith in Diamond’s return is not as strong as yours. But go if you must, with my blessing--however, I would encourage that you take a trustworthy friend with you,” he grinned, knowing his son’s self-confidence ran high, “just in case.”

Shortly before elevenses, Pippin prepared for his impromptu picnic by stopping by his music room for a desired item. With it, he hoped to set the tone for his ‘mission’. As he picked up the instrument, the small “W” etched with charcoal upon the western wall caught his eye. He stared at it. It stared back at him. After a long silent moment, Pippin looked away. He turned and left the room.

His next stop was in the kitchen to get assistance with filling up a food hamper for his impromptu picnic with Diamond. “Viola!” Pippin greeted the young cook. “It’s too early for you to start your shift--is Mistress May feeling all right?”

“She’s fine, Mr. Pippin,” Viola spoke softly. She sniffled as she helped to pack the basket with his requested items.

Then Pippin noticed her red eyes. Puzzled, he asked, “Are you all right?”

“No, sir. Not at all,” the young lass answered, adding a few more accoutrements to the picnic fare. “I learnt t’day that the closest an’ dearest friend I’ve ever had is leavin’.”

“That’s what it appears to be, Viola,” Pippin said in trying to comfort the lass. “However, I plan on bringing her back after her wee visit. I intend to put an argument to Diamond’s mother that she’s not heard in a long while--and we all know that I’ve yet to lose an argument once I’ve put my mind and heart to it.”

Viola braved a smile, albeit a sad one. “Please bring her home, Mr. Pippin.” She handed the lad a small scroll. “Most o’ us don’t know how t’ write fancy an’ all, but our names are on it clear as day. You, yourself, taught us our letters.”

Pippin opened the rolled up paper and saw a long list of names written upon it, all printed in elementary fashion. He smiled, “It’s a petition.”

“That’s what Mr. Greenhill called it when he asked us t’ put our names t’ it,” said Viola. “He’s a right clever hobbit, that one. For a servant, I mean.” Viola quickly added the last part so as not to insult present company.

“Yes, Mr. Greenhill certainly is a clever hobbit,” remarked Pippin, still smiling. “May I take this with me?”

“That’s what we signed it for, Mr. Pippin,” answered Viola. “We want ye t’ take it with ye t’ show her family. When they see how much we love Diamond, they’ll have t’ send her back t’ us.”

Pippin was in awe of Viola’s simple faith. “Between this,” he held aloft the small scroll, “and my challenge to Mistress Opal, we can’t go wrong, Viola. Thank you for the provisions--and thank you for the petition.”

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List