Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Courtship of Peregrin Took  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Sixteen - A Family Meeting

“Oh…my poor feet,” moaned Pimpernel, dipping them into a cool tub of water provided by her mother’s attendant. “Thank you, Poppy.” Pimpernel eased her tired feet fully into the water. “I’m sorry, Pip--I didn’t mean to be gone all day,” she said. “Mother insisted on helping Mrs. Smallburrow weed and hoe her little garden. I couldn’t argue because that is the only other staple--besides mother’s bread baskets--that provides for her and her children. She’s so thin, Pippin; mother keeps asking her to come live at the Smials and help out in the garden, but Mrs. Smallburrow sincerely believes that her late husband would want her to stay at the little cottage.”

“And you sincerely believe that Hilfred would want you to move back to the farm in Whitwell,” replied Pippin. He truly felt for both widows. “I say let her stay at the cottage--that is where her heart lies, Pim,” said Pippin. “Should mother no longer be able to help you with Mrs. Smallburrow,” he smirked, “then I don’t mind helping where I can.” He leaned back into his chair cushions, eyeing his sister. “When do you plan on the big move?”

Pimpernel took out one foot to rub the soreness out. “I was hoping next spring. The farm is so beautiful at that time of year. I’ll need to purchase a milking cow, a pony, some chickens… The list is endless.”

“What about someone who can teach the lads to do all the chores? Surely you don’t intend on doing that all by yourself.”

Pim sighed at the length of her check list. “I didn’t want to ask, but if you’re offering…I gladly accept.”

Pippin smiled, “I’m certain father could spare me for a week or two to help get you started. Gelly is a quick learner, and they all need something to focus on besides mischief as they grow up.”

“Oh,” said Pim, reaching over to her lamp table, “Speaking of mischief…I found this envelope under my door while you and Diamond were in Tuckborough yesterday.” She smiled while Pippin read the name of the sender.

“It’s from Merry!” he shouted, then whispered his excitement again while opening the wax seal of “BB”. At a quarter past six o’clock, Diamond still slept peacefully in her room. Pippin read the contents of the letter, then at length he spoke, “He and Stella are arriving…tomorrow--with Pervinca and Merimas.” He looked at Pimpernel, “When I was at Brandy Hall last month he said that he and Stella would visit for the Midsummer Fair.” Pippin got up from his chair, rushing toward the door. He stopped, quickly addressing his sister, “I’m done being the Minder, aren’t I?”

Pimpernel chuckled, “Yes--and thank you, Pip. See you at supper.”

* * *

The following afternoon, Diamond sat in kitchen helping her friend prepare vegetables for roasting. “I tell you, Viola,” said Diamond, sitting at the table slicing carrots, “I never slept so much in all my life! I know Mrs. Brownfield tried to wake me for supper last night, but all I could do was turn over and go back to sleep.”

Viola rolled her eyes at her friend in a jesting manner, “Sounds just awful t’ me!” Viola took her pile of hollowed mushrooms to the roasting pan then placed them upon it, along with a bit of cheese inside the hollow. Tonight, there would be many more people to feed this evening at supper. Extra cooks were called upon to assist with the additional work. Wanting to visit with her dear albeit busy friend, Diamond rolled up her blouse sleeves and assisted.

“Yes, well I was quite hungry when I woke up this morning,” Diamond continued with her account while popping a bite of carrot into her mouth, “Hungrier than a sow at a slop-feast--and I am still recovering from the effects of starvation forced upon me by Mr. Pippin yesterday.”

Viola laughed at Diamonds mock outrage, “Ye poor darlin’!” She knew Diamond was being humorous about starving when a smile spread across her face. Sitting down next to her friend to keep the conversation between them, Viola gave Diamond a knowing look, saying, “In truth, if Mr. Pippin didn’t care anythin’ about ye, he wouldn’t have chased us off like he did.”

Diamond thought more on it then asked, “You think he indeed cares for me?” Then quickly added, “As a friend, I mean.”

Friend?” the cook chuckled, then spoke into Diamond’s ear while peeling potatoes. “Lads and lasses don’t stay friends for very long, if ye get my meanin’. Their hearts move on t’ bigger an’ better thins.” Viola watched with amusement as Diamond flushed red all the way to the tips of her pointed ears. “How I see it, I think Mr. Pippin cares for ye more than he’s willin’ t’ admit t’ himself--all us lasses see it.”

“I wonder if that is what’s happening, Viola,” Diamond said thoughtfully. “The other day in Tuckborough, I was actually jealous.” Seeing her friend’s questioning gaze, Diamond explained further, “When Miss Myrtle came up and asked Mr. Pippin if they could dance together at the Fair--I was green with jealousy. I can’t remember ever feeling that way before about him--or any other lad. I kept dreaming that a water puddle lay near to her and hoping that one of the lads would jump in it to splash mud all over her!”

Viola laughed at the notion of the sweet lass’s feathers getting all ruffled over Miss Myrtle. “Ye’re growin’ up, Diamond,” she said smiling. “Gettin’ married at forty-years-old isn’t lookin’ pretty anymore, is it?” Diamond continued slicing the vegetables, saying nothing.

“Please believe me, Viola,” Diamond spoke at length, her brown eyes beseeching, “I only meant to be his friend…now I don’t know what’s happening. You should have seen Mr. Pippin the night he and Sapphira returned from their trip. He looked so wretched…as if his heart had been ripped out then trampled underfoot--and then she was gone.”

“Ye know I have my own Andy an’ all,” Viola put in, “but even my heart went out t’ Mr. Pippin durin’ those days.” Her eyes lit with fire, Viola continued, “I should liked t’ have told that lass a thin or two b’fore she left.”

A hint of a smile played on Diamond’s lips; Viola knew by now that she and “that lass” were sisters. Diamond was not offended, still stinging a bit over Sapphira and Hildebrand’s sudden marriage.

“It’s a quarter past seven, Diamond,” announced Viola. “Ye said Mrs. Brownfield asked ye t’ be in the dinin’ room by half-past.”

Diamond jumped to her feet, untying her apron in the process, “Yes--thank you, Viola!”, then hastened toward the door. Quickly, Diamond turned round again, giving her dear friend a parting hug.

“What’s this for?” asked a surprised Viola.

Diamond’s voice muffled in reply, “Just for being my friend.”

Back in her own room, Diamond ensured Donnabelle had wrapped her new bandage snug; she didn’t want to frighten the children with her monstrosity of a wound should it fall down. She next quickly re-plaited her hair in the back then tied it with a red ribbon to match her grey skirt and pink smock. Diamond frowned; the white bandage simple stood out like a sore thumb. An idea sprung to mind although she could do nothing to bring it about at the moment.

“Diamond, could you please help Hilly with washing up?” Pimpernel was still pinning up her hair. “I’m almost finished and then we can go.”

“Hilly!” Diamond hurriedly called out, hearing the child’s voice in his room on the other side of her adjoining door that was open. Soon she had the lad’s face wiped, curls combed neatly and with very little protesting from the child. Gelly had helped to ready Tilby, then the small group was off to the Thain’s dining room for supper--and not a moment to spare.

“You must meet everyone before we sit down to eat,” said Pimpernel, ushering the young maid into the dining room. “We’ll start with the lads.” Diamond stared anxiously round the roomful of stranger-hobbits, however, her nerves quickly dissipated, seeing Pippin standing off to the side with a small group consisting of his father and two other males--one as tall as Mr. Pippin.

“So this is your new minder that you wrote Pervinca about,” smiled Merimas, “We have heard much about you, Miss Diamond. ’Tis a pleasure to meet you.”

“They were nice things,” Pim whispered into Diamond’s ear.

“Hullo, Miss Diamond,” said Merry while holding his two year old son. “This here is my lad, Kalimas,” he said in introduction. Merry took note of the young lass staring at the marks on his wrist, although he did not cover them up like Pippin. Instead, Merry conveniently shifted the squirming child in his arms, bringing his wrist up and out of sight.

“Come, Diamond-lass,” said Pimpernel, gently prompted the tween round toward the group of ladies standing in a circle. Pim got the distinct feeling that Merry felt uncomfortable under the lass’s scrutiny. “Let’s go meet my sister and sister-in-law before we all sit down to supper.”

Diamond became alarmed as they walked in their direction. “What am I going to do, Mrs. Brownfield? I’ve heard there are two Mrs. Brandybucks!”

Pimpernel laughed, “You’ll see!” As they approached the ladies, Pimpernel held Diamond’s shoulders on either side, then introduced her newest child-minder.

“If it weren’t for your sister…Pip?” Standing next to Pippin, Merry observed how his cousin’s eyes lingered upon the departing dark-haired lass. He looked again to the direction of his cousin’s gaze and then back at his cousin. He’s got it bad this time, Merry said to himself. Merry waived his hand in front of Pippin’s eyes to break the spell. “Pip!”

With effort, Pippin pulled his eyes away from Diamond. “Sorry, Merry--what were you saying?”

Merry sighed, shaking his head. “Honestly Pip, if it weren’t for Pim, I would have absolutely no idea of what is going on in your life. Pervinca gets two letters a week from both her sisters and then if there is news about you, she passes on those bits to me--knowing that you rarely pick up a quill-pen.”

“I did send you a letter about Sapphira,” said Pippin a tad defensively.

“I finally got it last week. Holly had a terrible head cold--I couldn’t leave Stella with a sick child on her hands. I really wanted to comfort you in your time of despair, Pippin.”

“I’ll do better,” Pippin replied sheepishly. “I promise.”

“Why don’t you make more use of Everard?” suggested Merry. “After all, he’s the Thain’s scribe.”

“I often wondered where Pimpernel found the time to write so prolifically!” Merimas put in.

Pippin chuckled. “She writes common news about her lads and then asks Ev to reproduce it a few times. Pim then adds her own personal touch to each letter before sending them off to their respective recipient. She got the idea from watching our father send letters out to the Mayor and Master of Buckland.”

“Lasses!” Merimas smiled. “Can’t live without them.”

“My sister tells us that you’ve had a rather demanding week,” said Pervinca to Diamond after the introductions. “I am sorry about your injury.”

“I, too,” put in Estella holding her baby daughter.

“I’m fine now, Mrs. Brandybuck,” said Diamond, “with thanks to Mr. Pippin for his quick thinking.” She took this opportunity to gaze fondly at her friend standing among the group of male hobbits.

“Please--call me Pervinca,” she answered. Both Pervinca and Estella took note that the tween’s gaze lingered just a tad before turning back round.

“And call me Stella,” said the second speaking Mrs. Brandybuck, giving her cousin a wink. It didn’t escape the future Mistress of the Hall that Pippin had been looking in Diamond’s direction mere moments ago.

“I can’t do that--” said Diamond then was quickly cut off by the first Mrs. Brandybuck.

“You’re going to have to!” laughed Pervinca. “That is, unless you intend to lengthen your addresses to include our given names--and that should take half the day if both Stella and I are speaking to you.”

Diamond felt slightly embarrassed about calling these distinguished ladies by their first names. Seeing the wee child smiling shyly beside her mother’s skirt, Diamond got down on her haunches, eyelevel with the faunt. Children always made Diamond feel comfortable.

“Hullo!” Diamond greeted the little lass. “What is your name?”

Pervinca smiled down at her eldest daughter, “Tell Miss Diamond your name, love.”

“Sweet Pea,” replied the faunt with a finger in her mouth. Diamond thought the diminutive lass looked much like Pervinca; little nose, green eyes, and wispy honey-brown ringlets bound with a green ribbon at the top of her head.

“How old are you?”

The child held up two fingers, “Fooah.”

All the ladies laughed including Diamond. “Hold up two more fingers, dear,” prompted Pervinca, smiling at Sweet Pea.

Pimpernel leaned in toward her younger sister, “I’m not a wagering lass, but my bet is that Diamond will ask to borrow your children before the night is out.”

Diamond heard not a word Pimpernel uttered, yet she pondered all the wee children about--and the long trip between Buckland and the Smials.

“Mrs. Brandy--, I mean, Mistress Pervinca,” Diamond stammered, “or…perhaps I ought to tell my thoughts to Mrs. Brownfield first.” Asking for a private word with Pimpernel, Diamond and her employer stepped off to the side.

“What do you want, Diamond?” asked Pim, yet somehow she had a feeling of what was coming.

“Please forgive me if I am out of place--after your invitation and all,” began Diamond, “but…it seems to me that there is no one to watch over the wee children so that their parents may enjoy a quiet meal after their long journey.”

“What are you getting at Diamond?”

“Well…if you don’t mind,” Diamond answered, “I am offering to mind the wee ones while their weary mums and dads recover from the trip.”

“Diamond, sweetie,” replied Pimpernel, “that is a lovely and selfless offer, but…” Then Pimpernel looked about the room as if for the first time seeing what the tweenager saw. She supposed Pervinca and Merimas appeared the most haggard--they had three small children to mind throughout the entire jaunt.

“Mrs. Brownfield--I am a child-minder,” Diamond pressed the issue. “I may be in your employ, however, I am extending my services to your family.” Diamond saw the torn expression upon Pim’s face. “You and I both know this is the proper thing to do.”

“I know what proper is,” Pim gently chided the tween then her face softened. “Diamond…” she said, “this isn’t what I had in mind. I truly wanted you to meet my family and dine with us. Sapphira only ate with us a few times. I suspect she didn’t tell you that there was an open invitation for you to take your meals with the family, did she?”

Diamond sorrowfully cast her eyes to the mat. “I suppose there wasn’t any time.”

“I hope that you pardon my negligence,” said Pimpernel, then smiled at the lass. “When supper is over, I am bringing you the biggest platter of food that I can gather! And you will break your fast with us in the morning--everyone will be rested by then.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

It was decided that Diamond would only have two babes to watch over during supper: seven-month-old Holly, and four-month-old Primrose. Kalimas and the other children ate regular food and were extremely hungry by now.

“Thank you so much, Diamond,” said Pervinca, giving the lass a quick embrace. “Pim may be bringing you a food tray, but I shall bring you anything you wish to drink!”

“And dessert!” chimed in Estella.

Diamond grinned, “As long as it isn’t brandy or ale, I’ll drink it.”

Pervinca and Estella gave last minute instructions before leaving. “Primrose will probably nap for the most part, but when I return she’ll be ready for another go at a meal,” said Pervinca.

“Holly might want to play for a bit before lying down--and here,” Estella set her carry-bag on the bed. “She’s been dry for a while--there are clean nappies inside. She wouldn’t nurse while we rode in the carriage, but I think after she settles down a bit she, too, will be ready.”

Diamond let out a sigh of relief after the ladies shut the door behind them. “Worry warts!” mutter the tween. “I am a well-trained minder--I have been doing this for over four years.” She turned to the babes lying on her bed. Little Holly screwed up her face for a good cry. Diamond took the baby into her arms, “Look at you wee faerie-lasses! I think it’s time for a story. I know--a princess tale!”

After the meal was over, Pimpernel, Pervinca, and Estella helped make up a food tray for Diamond. Soon, it was piled high with roast chicken, salted pork, mushrooms stuffed with cheese, roasted potatoes, green beans, pickles, and a small loaf of bread.

“That’s too heavy for you,” said Pippin picking up the tray. “I’ll take it to her.”

“I said that I would bring it,” argued Pimpernel, hands on her hips.

“It’s bulging in the middle, Pim,” Pippin said over his shoulder. “You may follow if you wish.”

Pervinca caught Estella’s eye again--who in turn caught her husband’s blue eyes, exchanging a knowing look. Merry would most likely have a talk with Pippin at some point. The ladies followed Pippin to Diamond’s room; afterward, Pippin was to meet with his father and the lads in the common room for an after dinner smoke.

Diamond quickly opened the door when she heard the knocking, as Primrose and Holly lay asleep on her bed. “Mr. Pippin!” Diamond whispered, gaping in surprise.

“I fear my sisters have burdened this poor tray with heaps of scrumptious food. Where shall I put it?”

“On my writing desk is fine,” Diamond spoke softly.

Pippin shook himself from her lovely smile, responding in kind, “As you wish.” He placed the tray upon the desk then turned to leave.

“Thank you, Mr. Pippin,” said Diamond, her eye meeting with his.

Pippin broke his gaze when Pim cleared her throat. “I am sorry, Miss Diamond, I believe a brood of cackling hens have followed me from the dining room.” He watched Diamond smile.

Pimpernel gave her brother a playful nudge. “Well, the rooster needs to fly the coop unless he means to lag about while the hens tend to their chicks.”

Pippin got the message and was out the door. Amid a chorus of “Thank you” from the two younger ladies, Diamond fell to business at her desk. “They did just as you said,” she addressed both Brandybuck lasses, “they fell to sleep at once, although Holly did want to play with my new curtains first. She initially cried, not seeing her mummy about, but then settled down.”

Pervinca and Estella placed a pitcher of fresh water and a very large slice of apple pie next to Diamond’s platter then sat down on the bed to nurse their daughters, who had by now woke from their nap.

“Oh,” Diamond quickly added while forking a mound of the roasted potatoes and carrots, “and I changed both of their nappies.” Diamond smiled, “This is delicious! I’ll have to tell Viola later.”

“I know Viola--how is she doing?” asked Pervinca.

Diamond hid her surprise well; like many other hobbits, Diamond always imagined that the upper class dealt very little with the servants outside of business. “She’s been made full-cook and now works the supper shift with Mrs. Ivy,” answered Diamond between mouthfuls.

“I’ll have to stop by the kitchen to congratulate her,” said Pervinca.

Curious, Diamond asked, “How do you know Viola?”

With a sly grin Pimpernel jumped in, “Just before Merimas began courting Pervinca, she got caught unravelling the sweater cousin Saffron was knitting for a particular lad that she was trying to win over. So Pervinca spent an entire week helping Viola peel potatoes.”

“I also caught her trying to coax Merimas into thinking she injured the upper part of her leg,” said Pervinca, a tinge of fury edged her voice. “Imagine!”

“Well,” Pimpernel answered with a proud grin, “I suppose my little sister won in the end. She’s nursing his daughter.”

Diamond almost choked on her chicken. Pervinca’s jealousy highly resembled that of her own the other day.

“And I didn’t resort to anything sordid,” said Pervinca. “I was a good lass all the way through.”

“Are you all right?” asked Pimpernel, pouring more water into Diamond’s glass.

“Swallowed wrong,” Diamond answered as she cleared her throat. When all was settled she asked, “How did you know that you were in love with Mr. Merimas--or Mr. Brownfield?” She looked at Estella, “Or Mr. Merry?”

“It was gradual for Hilfred and I,” answered Pimpernel. “We hated each other at first, but then it grew into mutual respect, friendship, and then love.”

Diamond listened intently to all the first-hand accounts.

“I got to know Merry through my brother, Fredegar,” said Estella, “from the time we were teens. I should have to say that it was love at first sight, although it was a long time before either of us admitted to our feelings. He finally got up the nerve to invite me to Frodo’s 44th birthday party. After that, we made every effort to spend as much time together as possible.”

“For me,” said Pervinca, “I worked very hard to get Merimas to see things my way!” When the snickers died down, Pervinca grew serious again, “It was just something that we both worked at. We sometimes had arguments, then later made up. Nevertheless, from the beginning, Merimas and I both knew there was something there…something deep inside our hearts that…we just knew we were meant for each other. Merimas has told me so himself.”

“Oh, fiddlesticks!” Estella exclaimed suddenly. “I left my carry-bag in the dining room and Holly just wet her nappy. Diamond, would you be a good lass and fetch the bag for me?”

Diamond wondered at why she was the chosen lass--still finishing off her pie. She chalked it up to being the youngest…and the minder. Diamond obliged, rising up from her desk she left to get the wanted item.

Estella waited until the lass closed the door before speaking, but Pervinca beat her to it.

“Have you ever seen the way she looks at our brother, Pim?”

“Or the way Pippin looks at her in return!” Estella put in.

“I was trying to avoid a repeat performance,” said Pimpernel, “but yes…I’ve noticed.”

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List