Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Courtship of Peregrin Took  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Ten - Depths of Despair

Pippin opened his eyes to a new morning, hearing frantic pounding upon the door in his sitting room. His bedroom door was already open, sending waves of hammering through to his head. He scrunched up his nose at the pain, sat up and rubbed his eyes. Spying the empty glass sitting upon his night table, he instantly rued drowning his sorrows with his father’s finest port last night. “Oy,” he groaned, feeling his head throb.

“Peregrin Took! If you do not open this door in five seconds, I’m coming inside!” More pounding on the door.

Pippin slowly stood to his feet, pulling on his night coat. He heard the door open.

“I hope you are descent, little brother, because I’m coming in right now--” Pimpernel stopped in the doorway to the bedroom, her silhouette blessedly blocking the bright light behind her. “You’re still in your nightshirt!” she gasped. “It’s almost time for elevenses.”

“I just woke up,” said Pippin in a thick voice.

“Evidently,” Pimpernel shot back. Springing into action, she went to Pippin’s wardrobe. Taking out a clean pair of breeches and a shirt, she tossed them onto his bed. “Father is still a bit under the weather so mother is tending to him this morning,” she continued while unfastening his braces from yesterday’s clothes. “Here,” she said, tossing them atop the fresh set of garments. “Get dressed--I need your help with the guests.” Pimpernel paused in her ranting, taking in a deep breath, she put her hand on the shoulder of her bewildered brother, “I know this is all hard for you, Pip. I promise to let you sulk later after supper…but I need your help right now. I can’t do all this by myself and watch my children, too.”

Pippin apprehensively picked up the clean shirt his sister laid out, “So…Sapphira is no longer in your employ?” Pippin was emotionally preparing himself for the worst.

Pim stopped just short of the bedroom door on her way out to let her brother dress in private. “Either way, Pip. If she stays, she will be too distracted to mind my lads, and…I should want to give her every opportunity to get to know you better. On the other hand, if she leaves, well…that is obvious. I won’t keep someone who has deeply hurt my little brother.”

The pained expression on Pippin’s face made Pimpernel walk back into the bedroom and wrap her brother in a tender hug. “I know I can be bossy at times, Pip, but I do love you.”

A hint of a smile briefly appeared on Pippin’s lips. “You’re always bossy…but…I suppose I wouldn’t have you any other way. I will do what I can to help out, however, I cannot promise any smiles.”

Pimpernel smiled sadly, “I know, but I will take what you can give.” Before breaking away from their hug, Pimpernel playfully smacked his back, “Now get dressed! Elevenses is almost here--I need you to first go to father’s study to see about his appointments and such while I see to the comfort of our guests.”

“What about the lads?” asked Pippin, watching her exit the room.

“Gelly’s minding them at the moment,” she called over her shoulder. “But only while I’m busy fetching you.”

Pippin shook his head, “Oy…” Gelly was extremely young to be watching over his younger brothers, yet Pippin held out hope that the lad was still putting his most recent advice into practice.

At elevenses, the chairs at the head of the dining table sat empty of their usual occupants. With a quick apology for the Thain’s and Mistress’s absence, Pimpernel set about the meal, ensuring adequate amounts of food had been sent to the dining room. Pippin sat at his customary seat to the right of his father’s chair. Pimpernel sat diagonally across from him, to their mother’s left. The guests sat on either side going down the rest of the table.

Mrs. North-took sat beside Pippin expressing her utmost praise for the exquisite fare. “I shall pass your compliments on to my mother,” Pippin answered, barely giving a smile. “’Tis her recipe.”

Other than that, there wasn’t much conversation at the table, which was not unusual at hobbit meals, however, the awkwardness of the situation made the silence even more pronounced.

Also sitting at the table was one very astute, very precocious young lass. Without staring rudely at people, she closely observed each one’s actions. Sweet Mrs. Brownfield, hustling about to make sure the Thain’s guests were comfortable, fed, and had a place to sleep. To the young, perceptive lass, the matronly hobbit appeared haggard and worn, alternately eating from her own plate and then attending to her youngest son sitting beside her.

And poor Peregrin, Mrs. Brownfield’s brother, putting up a brave front all for the sake of…what? Her sister? Looking across the table, Diamond could tell the reunited couple were holding hands beneath it. She took note of how close their arms were to one another, unmoving. Hildebrand was left-handed anyway so it raised no one’s eyebrows. But Diamond knew it. Yes, Hildebrand and Sapphira indeed fell in love long ago--almost eight years ago. They did compliment one another beautifully, however, Diamond felt that sitting at the dinner table with their hands clasped was disrespectful to the injured host. That is how young Diamond viewed it, anyway.

She gazed back up in the direction of Mr. Peregrin, who was engaged in yet more conversation with her mother. Diamond was amazed that even her mother could not see then obvious sorrow in his eyes. This is the lad who travelled all the way to Buckland with her sister, danced with her at the birthday party of a dear friend, and now awaits weather or not that same lass has made her choice. Sadly, Diamond knew that Sapphira had already made that choice and her heart grieved over the heartbroken lad.

Until yesterday evening, she had never laid eyes upon the tall Took lad, yet she already felt something unique about Peregrin. When he caught her glance the night before in the parlour, Diamond looked into the depths of his green eyes and then into his soul. That sensation had never happened to her before and it almost frightened her. However, it was at that moment that she knew there would be something special between Mr. Peregrin and her. Her naive thoughts went no further than friendship although she felt they were indeed kindred spirits. For the sake of his broken heart, Diamond would keep all of this to herself. If young Mr. Peregrin had any interest in her friendship, then fate would be her guide.

When the meal finished up, the tweenagers all headed for the parlour once again. Pippin, went directly to his father’s study accompanied by Mrs. North-took; she wanted his opinion of a certain document. Sapphira asked Hildegard to walk in the garden with her, as there was much that she wanted to tell him about her stay at Great Smials and Brandy Hall.

Trying her best to be the perfect hostess, Pimpernel had an idea for the younger hobbits. “Gelly, why don’t you take our tweenaged guests out to see the ponies? I have heard tell that Valdigrim is very interested in ponies.”

“Yes, ma’am!” said the young hobbit excitedly. Gelly’s own eyes lit up; it seemed him and this older lad had something in common after all. Eager for the chance to mingle about with older children, Gelly ran ahead to where the guests had gathered and was soon leading two of the three tweens toward the Great Door. “Follow me!” he said with a huge smile.

“Why can’t Hilly and I go with Gelly?” whined Tilby.

“Yes! We want to go, too, Mummy!” added Hilly.

Diamond had lingered behind while her younger siblings followed Gelly out the door. She witnessed the disconsolate faces of the two young lads standing round their mummy’s skirt.

“We have plenty of things to keep us busy--now come along, lads,” said Pimpernel, gathering her children. “Our next stop is to look in on Grandpapa then see about luncheon and our guests comfort.”

“Mrs. Brownfield?” Diamond spoke up. “I was wondering if…well, if…” the lass took in a deep breath then started over. “I mind children for a small living in Long Cleeve, and well, I must confess that I would feel much more comfortable playing a game of draughts with your lads than standing round a stable full of ponies.” Diamond watched as their wee faces lit up; they apparently did not relish the idea of following their mother all over the Smials after visiting their grandfather.

This surprised Pimpernel. “Wouldn’t you rather see the ponies?” she asked Diamond.

“No, ma’am.”

“Are you afraid of them?”

Diamond strategically evaded Pim’s question; she replied, “I much prefer the company of children to that of ponies.”

Pimpernel smiled at the charming lass; perhaps it was better to let her fears go unsaid. Also, the idea of her younger lads being minded while she tended to her other duties seemed very enticing no matter how young the lass appeared. “Very well,” said Pimpernel, then cast a glance toward her children. “You lads go on with…,” Pim hesitated, trying to keep the two lasses names straight in her head, “Miss Diamond. She is going to look after you for a few hours.” Pimpernel marvelled at how easily her lads went off with the young maiden. It took all three of her children a full day and a half to warm up to Sapphira.

* * *

Pimpernel awoke with a start inside her parents’ apartment. Groggy at first from her nap, it took her a few seconds to recognize her surroundings. “Mother?” she called out then sat up. “Father?”

“We’re here, love,” answered Eglantine from the other corner, sitting in her usual chair while knitting.

Pim whirled in the direction of the voice. “How long have you let me sleep, mother?”

Eglantine and Paladin exchanged guilty looks. “It’s past teatime,” replied Paladin.

“I’ve slept too long,” said Pimpernel, still weary. She laid aside the lap quilt her mother had covered her with and stood to her feet. “What about my lads? And the guests?”

“Your lads and the guests are fine,” said Eglantine, still knitting. “Right now, the guests are all in the parlour playing draughts. Except that young lass,” Eglantine’s knitting needles went still as she paused in thought. “What is her name, dear?”

“Miss Diamond,” Paladin answered his wife. “She is with your lads, Pim, in your apartment keeping them busy with games and such.”

Eglantine softly chuckled, “That strong-minded child reminds me of you when you were her age. She said that she borrowed your children directly from you, and to you only will she return them.”

Pimpernel smiled at her mother’s approval of the child minder. “She isn’t a child, mother. Her sister and brother were going to the stables earlier, but I don’t think Diamond is comfortable round ponies. So when she asked if she could mind the children for me, I let her. Besides,” she added, “I was never a strong-minded child.”

“She’s is doing a fine job, if you ask me,” said Eglantine, then her hazel eyes sparkled with humour. “Why is it that I have one particular memory of you at the Free Fair, tossing rings onto pegs for hours on end all because--”

Sighing, Pimpernel said emphatically, “Because I had a stratagem, mother…and it almost worked.” She stood to her feet and stretched her tired muscles. “I think I am going to go relieve our young guest of her charges.”

Just as Pimpernel took her leave, Paladin laid aside his book, addressing his daughter. “If you see Pippin, please tell him that I wish to speak with him. I have not seen him all day.”

Pimpernel wondered at her father‘s words and then remembered the manner in which she had to wake her brother that morning. “I will do that, Father.”

~ ~ ~

From inside his darkened room, Pippin heard the knocking upon his outer door. He made no attempt to answer it. He sat with knees drawn up upon his bed, head resting forward upon his arms. He felt the wetness from his most recent tears drying on his fevered cheeks. Pippin swept his handkerchief across his nose so as not to make a sound. He wanted no visitors at this time.

However, when he heard the door open up, his sister softly calling for him, Pippin wondered why he had been cursed with such an obstinate sister. “Please go away.”

Pimpernel slowly made her way into her brother’s room, allowing her eyes to adjust to the darkness. “Pip, why is the room so dark? Are you sick?”

“Please go away,” he repeated his last request. “I am in no mood for company.”

“Pip?” asked his sister, taking note that he sounded as if he had been crying. What is more, she had a pretty good guess over what--or whom. When her eyes became accustomed to having little or no light, she gently sat on the edge of Pippin’s bed. “Talk to me.”

Pippin was silent for a while, deciding if talking to his sister would help things, or if he would much rather sulk. He settled on a little bit of both. “You know very well why I’m feeling the way I am.” When he spoke, his voice was strained, nose stuffed.

Pimpernel took his hand in hers, speaking softly, “There are no words that could convey my sadness, dear Pip. I feel wretched in that I encouraged it all. Sapphira said nothing to me about her beau when I hired her. If I had any idea… Do you want to talk to her, Pippin?”

“No.”

“It might make you feel better to tell her how you feel about all this.”

“No. I don’t want to speak to her. Truthfully, I don’t wish to speak to anyone.” He wiped away an errant tear.

“Father asked me to tell you he wanted to speak to you--but I will let him know you’re not up to it.”

“Tell father,” said Pippin, “that the calf was stolen right from under your nose.”

Pim was baffled, “Stolen from under my… Whatever do you mean by that?”

“He’ll know what I’m speaking of,” he sniffed, then crawled under the blankets. “Please go now.”

Pimpernel felt her brother’s invisible barrier go up. “Are you coming to supper later?”

“No.”

“Please don’t do this to yourself, Pip.” Pimpernel gazed miserably at her brother. He made no reply to her comment. She tenderly kissed his curls before leaving. “I’ll check on you later.”

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List