Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Courtship of Peregrin Took  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Seven - No Troubles at All

The following day, in the afternoon hours before the party, Pippin and Merry were busy in the Grand Room of Brandy Hall setting up the chairs and couches for the guests to sit in and socialize. After hefting one large sofa around the room three times to see where it fit best, Pippin finally suggested setting it away from the wall yet more toward the dance floor.

“I suppose you’re right,” said Merry, scanning the largest room at Brandy Hall. He wiped the sweat from his brow with his shirtsleeve. “This angle just won’t do. I can see how it appears that all the seating is on this side of the room.”

“All the shy folk will collect here like wallflowers,” said Pippin while rubbing his tired eyes.

Merry smirked, “Just how late did you stay up?”

“I don’t know what you are talking about, Merry.”

Merry grinned, “Yesterday you told me you were in love with Sapphira. I know you didn’t go straight away back to your room after we parted at half past eleven.” He heard his younger cousin mumbling something. “I’m sorry--what was that?”

“I said it was after midnight,” Pippin repeated. “And before you object, we didn’t do anything…naughty.”

Merry laughed, “So I can take it that I won’t find you and Sapphira in a darkened corner of a hallway locked in a kiss?”

“That was a long time ago, Merry,” Pippin put in. “I was only twenty-five years old.”

Merry laughed, “I’ll never forget the look on Frodo’s face when he caught you with none other than Angelica! She was thirty-three--my age, Pip!”

“She was thirty-four,” Pippin corrected Merry, taking his end of the heavy couch once more. “I can’t help it if the older lasses admired me.”

“She was drunk, if I recall, Pippin,” Merry grunted, hefting his side of the couch as well. “Let’s set it down over here--we need a lot of room for dancing.”

“Well, it was her idea all the same,” Pippin replied in an attempt to dust over his scandalous deed. “What was I to do, refuse her affections? It would have damaged her for the rest of her life.”

Merry shook his head in disbelief, chuckling. “You’re remarkable, Pippin. Just don’t get caught in a darkened hallway with your heart unguarded this time round.”

Pippin understood his cousin to be speaking of the present--of Sapphira. “I don’t intend to, Merry. Believe it or not, I told Sapphira how I felt last night--and she hasn’t run away yet.” He said the last part half-jestingly.

Merry stood up stiffly, rubbing the small of his back. He was satisfied that the couch was now the centrepiece of a group of furniture more toward the back of the room where everyone could be social. “And what did she say in return?”

“I didn’t give her the chance to say anything,” Pippin answered truthfully, blushing as he remembered what actually happened afterward, “because I kissed her in a very well-lit doorway.”

Resigned to the fact that he would be watching over his younger cousin’s heart until finally off and married, Merry finally gave up. “You’d better go and start getting ready for the party. Stell and I will knock on yours and Everard’s door later when children’s minders arrive.”

* * *

“Sapphira--are you ready yet?” Pippin knocked upon the door and then waited for the door to open. “The party will be starting in less than half an hour.” Instead, the door only cracked a little as Sapphira’s face peered between the gap.

“No, I am not,” Sapphira answered, near tears. “Come inside--quickly.”

Pippin did as he was bid…only to find the most comely lass in the Shire--or Buckland for that matter--wearing a fine pale blue party frock. Then she turned round, holding her long curls up and out of the way with one hand while trying to keep the bodice of her dress from slipping away with the other. The shoulders of Sapphira’s dress sagged as a result of the buttons going from her neck to the middle of her back not being fastened. In all sincerity she asked, “Stella and Laurel are busy with their children…no one else can help me. I have fixed the buttons I could reach, but my arms are so tired that I simply cannot reach any higher. I don’t know what else to do--would you be able to fasten them, please?”

Pippin nearly gasped. He never had seen so much skin of any lass before now, let alone Sapphira’s bare shoulders. “All right,” he answered, tongue cleaving to the roof of his mouth. The feel of her silky-soft skin took his breath away as he fastened the first few buttons. Recovering his wits, Pippin spoke up. “You know, if you were my wife,” he began, then decided to take a more direct approach. “If we were married, you and I should be very, very late to this party.” Finishing the last button at her neck, he then draped his arms about her, bringing her close to him.

“We should?” she smiled, feeling his passionate embrace.

Pippin nuzzled the hollow of her neck, giving it a tender kiss. Sapphira turned round in his arms, gently running her fingers through his hair then rested them on the nape of his neck. She pulled him toward her until their lips pressed together. Pippin lost count of all the kisses until he heard someone approach the doorway.

“Sapphira, dear--the baby is down for her nap and Miss Daisy finally arrived to mind her and Kali. I can help you button your dress now.”

Pippin stiffened. Sapphira gently put her fingers to his lips to signal Pippin to stay behind the door and remain quiet.

Sapphira opened the door just enough to show Estella that she had already had help. “A good friend came by and assisted me,” she said, hoping no further explanation would be required.

Beyond the door, Stella spied a certain reflection in the looking-glass inside the foyer. Taking a step back into the hallway, Stella saw that her husband had gone on to greet the last of the local guests. “Come on out, Peregrin,” she called out, using his given name. “Merry had to leave to greet some late arrivals.”

“I was the one to help her button up,” Pippin offered, stepping into view. “She was so upset.”

“I know that you’re nothing but a gentlehobbit, Pip, but others may not be so quick to agree. Be careful, all right?”

“I’m sorry, Stella,” said Sapphira. “It’s all my fault. Everyone seemed so busy…and being a nursemaid, I understand that children need looking after.”

“Yes, children need tending to because they don’t know how to be patient--unlike adults.” Estella knew her comment was not lost on the young couple. She then smiled, “You both look absolutely splendid! Let’s go now and get Everard and Laurel. We are going to have a wonderful time at my birthday party!”

* * *

“Hullo, Miss Posey,” said Merry, albeit a bit stiffly. “I’m glad you could make it to Stella’s party.” He looked about her, “Where is your escort?”

“My brother brought me here then returned home,” she remarked casually, handing her cloak to the servant nearby. “I hope you don’t mind me staying the night…do you?”

Merry waited for the server to step away to hang up the garment. “You may stay as long as you wish providing you’re not here to make trouble for Pippin,” he spoke in a low voice.

Posey puzzled at his words, “Trouble?”

Just as she spoke, Estella, Everard, Laurel, and Pippin emerged from the guest tunnel on their way to the dining hall…with Sapphira on Pippin’s arm. The little group was chattering away and never saw Pippin’s old flame standing in the parlour. “Oh…” mumbled Posey. Anxiety rose in her heart at seeing Pippin courting another lass so soon after… Well, no matter. “No…” she replied as she walked past Merry, “no trouble whatsoever.”

~ ~ ~

“Pippin,” Sapphira whispered, “there’s a lass sitting at the other end of the table staring at us.”

Throughout the birthday meal, Pippin had eyes only for the lass sitting beside him. Merry had not the opportunity to tell Pippin about Posey arriving unaccompanied. He thought to tell his dear friend after supper when the guests were free to mingle about. Until then, why ruin Pippin’s supper?

“Is it someone you know?” Pippin asked, then took a sip of wine to wash down the scrumptiously roasted meat. “Estella has family in the Northfarthing as well.”

“No,” answered Sapphira. “I don’t remember seeing her before in my life.”

Her?, Pippin thought, then spied the familiar face as he set his goblet down. “Posey,” he said aloud.

“Is she someone you know?” asked Sapphira.

“I used to.” The dark-haired lass met his gaze from the far end of the long table. Where was her lad-friend? Pippin quickly brought his eyes back to Sapphira then smiled a bit nervously.

Sapphira felt there was trouble behind Pippin’s smile. She tried her best to pay the lass no mind, but found it difficult to do so. How well did Pippin know her? Sapphira pondered on this question through the rest of the meal, but the only idea Sapphira could come up with was that Posey was a past love. How recent was their love? Every time she looked up, the dark-haired lass would be glaring in Sapphira’s direction. Probably very recent, she guessed.

~ ~ ~

Merry-making and dancing was soon to begin now that the gift-giving was almost finished. Pippin received a pair of gold studs with his initials engraved in them. Sapphira received two matching silver hair-combs with deep, dark blue stones decorating the handles. “The gems are to go with your name,” said Estella. Sapphira decided they were so beautiful that she just had to put them in her hair immediately.

“Thank you, Stella,” said Sapphira to her newfound friend. “It was so thoughtful of you. Happy birthday!” She stood up then gave Estella a friendly kiss on the cheek, taking Pippin by the hand she said, “Come by the window with me, Pip.”

“Why?” he asked, though he did not go unwillingly. He allowed her to drag him across the room while the rest of the gift giving went on uninterrupted. Sapphira led her beau to an open window where both could still see the gift giving going on.

Sapphira took her own plain combs out of her hair then put one of Estella’s gift in Pippin’s hand. “I need you to hold this and tell me if I have them straight or not,” she said, then proceeded to use her fingers to comb strands of her hair up and behind her ear, using the faint reflection in the window to guide her hands. Pippin stood watching the lass fix her hair with an amused expression on his face.

She nudged him with her elbow, taking the other comb from his hand. “Stop it--you’re making me laugh now!” When finished, Sapphira fluffed her hair behind her head. “How does it look?”

Pippin tried his best to appear serious. “One is higher than the other,” he said, trying to hold back his grin. He reached up on the supposedly erred side then took out the comb. Pippin smoothed out the same strands of hair that fell out of the comb with his fingers, then gathered them together, gently sliding the comb once again into her hair. “Wait,” he said with a smile, holding her back when she tried to walk off, “I’m not finished.” He sized up his handiwork on both sides and then smoothed her curls by letting his fingers glide through the silky locks.

Sapphira sighed, “Seems my hair must be a net of tangles, Mr. Took.”

Pippin continued to smile, taking great pleasure in the feel of her soft curls. “Not anymore,” he said, then took her hand in his as they walked back to their seat. “Though I might need to freshen it up a bit before the party is done,” he added with a wink.

All I want is a few moments of Pippin’s time, Posey reasoned to herself. She wanted to explain her rash behaviour a couple months ago; she wanted to tell him that she still loved him. However, the sight of Pippin playing with another lass’s hair was too much. She watched as the lovebirds slowly walked back to their seats hand in hand, sharing a quiet jest. Posey made her way quickly to stand almost directly behind Sapphira’s chair. The opening at the lower part of the back would work to Posey’s advantage. She raised her wine goblet to take a sip as the couple made to sit down. While the other guests attention was busy elsewhere, Posey brought her glass down in time to splash a small amount of the red wine onto the seat cushion as Sapphira settled into her chair. 

Initially, Sapphira thought she felt something odd when she sat down, then shrugged it off thinking that perhaps it was the warmth of the cushion. After all, she had been sitting in it for well over an hour before she got up to put the combs in her hair. The dancing would start as soon as the fiddle player finished tuning her instrument, so perhaps getting up and moving about on the dance floor would do her--and the cushion some good.

Soon, the music started up and all the guests grabbed their partners to join the host and his birthday lass already doing the Springle-ring on the floor.

“Come on, Pip!” Pervinca shouted over the music and laughter. She and her husband Merimas were passing by the young wallflowers still sitting in their chairs. “You and I used to dance the Springle-ring when we were children!” she shouted again while kicking up her heels.

“All right,” said Pippin standing up. He was not about to be shown up by his sister. He held out his hand to his lovely lass, “Shall we dance?”

Sapphira smiled, taking Pippin’s hand she stood up from her chair.

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List