Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Merry Life  by Anso the Hobbit

Title: A Merry Life: Flying
Author: Anso the Hobbit
Beta: Marigold

Characters: Merry, (Saradoc)

Timeline: Buckland SR 1389 so Merry is seven years old

"Come on, you can do it," your da said, as he lifted you onto the pony, adjusting the cinch and stirrups to make you secure and comfortable. The pony, Dancer, was used to having little hobbits on his back, and stood very still while you got used to sitting way up there all by yourself. You had of course ridden a pony before, but then you had been safely seated before your da or Frodo. Slowly your da led the pony into the paddock just beside the stables, and walked you around in circles on the inside of the fence. It was quite some distance down, and you wondered what might happen if you fell off. The pony was tall enough to leave you seated just above your daīs head, and it made you dizzy to think about falling so very far down to the ground.

A few days later, after you were secure enough to ride in the paddock alone, your da saddled his own pony too, and the both of you rode through the gate together and over the grassy slopes of Buckland. You felt like you were flying as Dancer quickened his pace into a trot. Your da laughed then, as you waved to him, both of you grinning wide and proud. This was fun, and your earlier thoughts about falling off were soon forgotten. You wished that Frodo could see you now, but you knew heīd be proud of you, and as soon you had put the pony away under your da`s careful tutelage, you ran to find Frodo and tell him about your wonderful achievement.

*****

You were glad now, that you had been taught how to master a pony, as you rode together with the Rohirrim, astride Stybba. Stybba, who seemed to know his riderīs distress and worries, was gentle and easily ridden despite his high spirits as he ran alongside the horses. When you put him to bed for the night, he nibbled your hair and bumped your chest, accepting your ministrations and putting his nose in your pockets, searching for treats, just like the ponies at home.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List