Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Chocolate  by Elvenesse

Chocolate

Faramir entered the room and turned to summon the servants who waited in the hallway. The occupants of the small sitting room broke off their conversations as the servants entered the room carrying a large chest.

Aragorn looked up from the corner where he had been conversing with his wife’s grandparents and father. “Faramir, I know you were called away, but could this not wait until morning?”

“It could, my lord,” he replied, “but on this occasion I believe that you will not mind me interrupting.”

Arwen rose from the sofa where she was sitting with Éowyn, and walked over to examine the chest. “Do you have need of the servants, Faramir?” she asked.

“No, my lady.” He turned to the servants and dismissed them. The men bowed and left the room. “This is a wedding gift from the princes of Far Harad, and is a small token of their good faith. I have had the box and their contents examined to ensure that they are safe.”

Aragorn came over to help Faramir place the chest onto the table in the middle of the room. Celeborn, Galadriel and Elrond came over to the table to join them.

Faramir looked over to Éowyn, and asked, “Would you please take the kettle off the fire and bring it over here.”

She laughed, “You are being very mysterious, but I shall do as you ask.” Éowyn brought the kettle over to the table and placed it on a thick square of material. Faramir threw back the lid of the chest to reveal many white muslin bags and some cooking utensils.

Arwen pulled out one of the bags and opened it to reveal many small dark beans. She looked up, puzzled. “What are they? Surely they would not send us beans as a wedding gift.” She noticed her father smiling at Celeborn and Galadriel, and said, “Adar, do you know what they are?”

Elrond replied, “It is over an Age since we saw them last, but yes, I know what they are. I will let Faramir explain them to you though.”

They looked at Faramir as he took a handful of the beans and placed them inside a small, ornate grinding mill. “They are called Coco Beans, and it is when they are ground that they reveal their precious nature.” He pulled another bag out of the chest and opened it to reveal a finely ground dark powder. “This has been sweetened, as the beans themselves are somewhat bitter.” Faramir removed seven mugs and some of the utensils from the chest as he continued to explain. “You mix this with water and milk, to form a hot drink.”

“Like steeping herbs?” Éowyn asked, “What is so special that they have been sent from Far Harad?”

Celeborn surprised her by answering in Faramir’s stead. “They will be rare even in Harad, and it is their taste that makes them especially pleasing.”

Aragorn said, “Adar, would you and lord Celeborn explain how you know of these things?”

“They came from Númenor,” Elrond said, “there are plants, such as athalas, that were gifted to my brother’s people. When the first ships sailed back to Middle-earth, they bore with them gifts for those at Gil-galad’s court - which is where Celeborn and Galadriel and I were at the time. The beans would not grow in the climate of Lindon, and so we had to make do with the gifts we received occasionally. I suspect that when the Númenoreans began to sail further afield, they came to Harad, where the climate appears to have been more appropriate.”

“From what I was told by those that delivered them to us,” said Faramir, “the plants are jealously guarded by Harad’s princes.” He placed a small ladle full of the powder into each mug, and then picked up the kettle and poured water into each one. A delicious aroma arose as he stirred the liquid carefully.

Galadriel looked at her husband. “Does this not bring back happy memories of Lindon, when the land was at peace for a time?” she murmured softly.

Celeborn placed a gentle kiss on her temple and answered, “Happy memories indeed, my love.”

Faramir then poured milk from a flask into each mug, and the drink turned deep brown in colour. “I was told that this is called a chocolate drink, and I also have the recipe for making this into a solid form if it pleases you. I enjoyed this drink very much when I tried it. It is much better than those dreadful concoctions they make you drink at the Houses of Healing,” he added, pulling a face at Aragorn.

Aragorn simply laughed and reached for two of the mugs, handing one to Arwen. When everyone had one, he proposed a toast, “To peace and trade with the princes of Harad.”

They all carefully took a sip of the hot drink and after a few mouthfuls, Arwen said, “I think that trade with Harad has now become a necessity. Adar, why have you not mentioned such a delicious drink before?”

“All of Númenor foundered, apart from such things that Elendil rescued,” he replied, “but I will tell you of the first delegation to Lindon now, if you wish.”

So they all went to sit on the balcony overlooking the city, and listened to Elrond’s tale as they savoured their drink and watched the sun set over the mountains.

*******

Written for Allie_Meril.

I don't know if Celeborn and Galadriel (or indeed Elrond) would have been in Lindon at the time the ships returned to Middle-earth (and I'm too lazy to check). So it might be AU.

Disclaimer: Tolkien’s world and all his characters belong to Tolkien Estates, New Line Cinema, etc. This is done for the purpose of enjoyment only and I receive no money for playing in such a wonderful sandbox.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List