Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The True Face of Courage  by FirstMate

Chapter 2, Afraid of the Dark?

Mercifully for the three searchers, the journey through the tunnel was short and uneventful.  In fact, mere yards past where Elrohir had fallen, the tunnel turned sharply and opened up into a large cavern, giving the searchers a welcome respite from the confining, still rat-fill tunnel.

As the trio walked out into the open chamber, Estel carefully studied his brother’s form ahead of him.  He could see how tensely Elrohir still held himself and Estel’s disillusionment grew while he tried to adjust to a new reality.  He had heard so many stories about his brothers but never before questioned whether or not they were true.  He had grown up knowing that his brothers were bold, courageous, fearless warriors…heroes.  But Elrohir wasn’t brave at all!  How could he even call himself a warrior if some stupid rats could make him run?  The young man glanced over at Legolas and then looked away as a new feeling washed over him—shame.  What must the Prince of Mirkwood think?  Estel was appalled to know that Legolas had seen his brother’s disgrace.  He had always been so proud of the twins—proud to be their brother—but now he was embarrassed and didn’t want to imagine low Legolas’ opinion of his family must now be. 

Soft words from Elrohir broke through Estel’s disturbing thoughts, “He is very close.”  The dark-haired elf cocked his head as he considered and added, “...somewhere in this room, perhaps.”

Elrohir held the torch high as the three searchers circled the chamber slowly, keeping an eye out for Elladan as well as any signs of the men who had taken him.  Very soon, it became clear that there were no kidnappers in the large room, but it also became clear that Elladan was not there.  Elrohir finally stopped when they’d completely circled the room and once more held the torch up as his eyes scanned the edges of the light—nothing but rock met his gaze.  He turned to his companions and asked with quiet desperation, “Did you see anything?  Was there anywhere that Elladan might be?  I feel so certain he is here, but...but...” his words drifted off as he turned his troubled gaze away from the others as his eyes tried to pierce the darkness.

“Perhaps he’s nearby, but in another room,” offered Estel quietly, despite himself feeling compelled to try to soothe away some of the tension that was practically rolling off of Elrohir in waves.

Elrohir shrugged in a very human gesture and shook his head.  “Perhaps...but I do not believe so.  He is here...somewhere,” he finished in frustration and worry.

“If you say he is here, then this is where we should continue to look,” stated Legolas calmly.  “We must simply search the chamber again, taking our time and searching more thoroughly.”

Elrohir looked at Legolas and nodded, grateful for the reasoned suggestion.  “Aye,” he said and then suiting actions to words, once more started around the cavern, although this time going much slower.

About halfway around, he stopped when Estel grabbed his arm.  “Elrohir, shine the light over to the left.  Look behind those rocks...there is a darkness there that may be a hole of some kind.”

Elrohir did as Estel suggested and saw that indeed, there was a large crevice along the floor, previously hidden by some boulders, that was several yards wide and so long that it extended past the circle of light.  The searchers moved quickly to it, all three dropping to their knees as Elrohir shone the light down, trying to see if Elladan was somewhere in the darkness.  They each also called out to their missing companion, hoping to hear an answering shout.

They were disappointed to see nothing but a deep pit lined with small rock ledges and hear nothing except a hollow echo of their own shouts.  Estel and Legolas were grim when they pulled back from the edge, but Elrohir had a different look in his eyes when he sat back and looked at the others. 

“He is there,” he said with satisfaction.  “Perhaps on that ledge just below, but there.  So close I can feel him.”

Estel peered back down, still seeing nothing and then turned to the others with an exasperated expression.  “How typical!  He had this whole cavern and somehow he managed to end up in the only hole around.  And then he hides where we cannot see him.  Only Elladan would be that ornery!”

His observation made the others laugh and the mood lightened considerably until Elrohir removed his light pack and moved as if to climb down into the dark hole.

“Wait,” Legolas cautioned.  “A fall could be deadly.  Wait for a rope.”

Elrohir stopped and looked at Legolas, his face carefully devoid of emotion as he fought the angry words that leapt to his mind.  Under normal circumstances, he knew there would be no talk of ropes.  Elves were strong and sure-footed and certainly capable of climbing the short distance to the ledge.  It was clear, however, that the prince was concerned Elrohir might not be fully in control of his reactions if he came across any other little nasty surprises—furthermore, it galled him to know that Legolas was right.  It was that understanding but also knowing that Legolas’ caution came from caring rather than judging that made Elrohir swallow his biting response and accept the suggestion with a sharp nod.

A short time later with a rope around his waist, Elrohir once again stood at the top of the crevice and looked down.  Unable to help himself, his eyes searched carefully each of the small nooks and crannies, expecting to see myriad sets of beady little eyes shining up at him, but finding nothing but dark, unmoving rock.

Elrohir started slightly when a quiet voice behind him asked, “Are you all right?”

Turning to see Legolas regarding him with concern, he tried to sound nonchalant as he answered, “Aye.  Just planning the best way down.  It does not look like a difficult climb.”

He started to turn back away, but then caught himself.  He owed his friend a more honest answer than that.  Legolas was worried about him and didn’t deserve anything but the truth, as humiliating as it may be.  Turning to fully face Legolas, Elrohir breathed deeply before admitting quietly, “I was checking for rats.  I can see none, but…but I would not wish to be startled and perhaps do something foolish.”  He grimaced as he tried to finish with a trace of humor, “If I fell on Elladan, he’d never let me forget it.”

Legolas smiled briefly at Elrohir’s attempt at levity and then offered hesitantly, “I could go instead.”  In all honesty, he knew he was more fit at the moment to climb down into the crevice, but he didn’t want to upset Elrohir by implying he was incapable of attempting his brother’s rescue. 

Elrohir didn’t take offense, however.  Instead he shook his head and sighed.  “Nay.  I must go.  Elladan is sure to require care, as he has not answered any of our calls.  In spite of any other…concerns…I am still best suited.”  He rubbed the back of his neck as he continued, trying to ease some of the tension as he planned, “If you guide the rope, Estel can hold the torch over the edge, providing some light as I climb.  Then once I reach Elladan, one of you can lower a torch down with a second rope.”

Legolas had to agree with Elrohir’s plan—it was as good as any other—but he wasn’t happy to think of Elrohir climbing into the darkness when he was still shaken by his encounter with the rats.  Without any better options, though, he nodded reluctantly and said, “If that is what you wish, I agree the plan is solid.  I am ready on the rope when you are.”

Elrohir nodded, waited for Estel to shine the torch over the edge, and then carefully began his descent.  It wasn’t long before Elrohir began to feel more and more jumpy, expecting any moment to see a furry rodent’s face pop out at him from one of the many shadowy recesses that Estel’s torch couldn’t illuminate.  Only by thinking of his twin waiting below, with unknown injuries, could he keep focused and somewhat steady. 

Not too far down into the hole, Elrohir reached the first small ledge.  It was barely big enough to stand on, however, and certainly had no place for Elladan to be hiding.  A problem arose, however, when he put his foot down below it and found nothing.  The light couldn’t penetrate the darkness below the ledge, so Elrohir had to lie on his stomach and feel beneath it, trying to find some kind of foothold in the dark.  Unfortunately, he found that under the ledge was a deep hollow, so eventually he was forced to lower himself over the edge and hang from his fingertips while he swung himself inward, his feet scrambling for some kind of toehold.

On the third swing, he was successful, although the result left him hanging onto the underside of the rock in an almost horizontal position.  He took a moment to steady himself, and then slowly inched his way downward until he was once more upright, clinging to the rock face.

*That’s another one you owe me,* he thought darkly, as he kept climbing downward, just beginning to reach the end of the circle of light from above.

Seeing glimpses of another, larger ledge below him, Elrohir continued his way down, watching for signs of Elladan, but also for anything that might be moving in the darkness.  He found nothing amongst the many small crevices, but once he reached the ledge, he did find his main quarry.  Almost no light reached this level, but through the bond the twins shared, he could sense Elladan, curled up against the inside edge of the ledge.  Where he lay was completely black, however, so Elrohir could tell nothing of his condition by sight.  He reached in the darkness and found his twin, then ran his hand lightly over his head, rejoicing to find a warm, living body beside him. 

He leaned out so he could see the others anxiously waiting above and called, “I have found him, but he is not conscious—send down a torch, so I may determine what is wrong.”

A torch, tied to the end of a second rope was quickly lowered and Elrohir caught it quickly as it slid down the rock wall.  He untied it and propped it up in a small cranny before turning to his brother, inhaling through his teeth as he clearly saw for the first time the severity of bruising and scrapes that seemed to cover Elladan.

“Now, what have you done to yourself this time?” he murmured as he began his exam.  Dark caves, rats, indeed the rest of the world disappeared as Elrohir pushed away everything but his concern for his twin and determining his injuries.  Quickly, he ran his hands over Elladan to search for hidden wounds—his face becoming grim as he added up the tally:  a concussion, several broken ribs, a badly sprained left wrist, a deep gash in his right forearm, an assortment of cuts and deep bruises over much of his body, and what appeared to be a dislocated shoulder that had already been popped back into place.  Nothing life threatening, but the combination of injuries was bound to be painful and of more immediate concern, there was a real danger that the broken ribs could puncture a lung if he was moved incorrectly.

Sorting out what he needed to do, Elrohir gently straightened Elladan’s limbs, being careful to not jar his ribs in the process.  Then he called up to his companions, who had watching quietly from above, trying not to distract him while he finished his examination.

“He is injured, though with care he will recover nicely,” Elrohir called, to their great relief.  He continued more seriously, “He does have some broken ribs, however, which must be bound before he can be moved.  Could you take my cloak from my pack and tear it into long strips, then send them down to me?”

Acknowledging their understanding, Legolas and Estel quickly moved to fulfill his request while Elrohir waited with a hand on his unconscious twin, hoping Elladan could somehow feel the contact and know he was safe. 

At the top of the crevice, there was a flurry of movement as Estel laid out Elrohir’s cloak and Legolas pulled a short dagger out of his boot, only pausing a moment to regret cutting into the rich, beautiful cloth before tearing the first long strip.  While the prince quickly turned the cloak into a pile of strips, Estel dumped out the contents of his own small pack and began stuffing the strips into it, planning to use it to lower them and a few other supplies to Elrohir.

Just a short while after he’d called up, Elrohir saw the pack being lowered over the edge of the rock and he reached up and caught it deftly.  Focused only on caring for his twin, he emptied the pack and then quickly, but efficiently, wrapped his brother’s torso as tightly as he could without hurting him.

Next, using the rope that Legolas had insisted he put around himself, Elrohir fashioned a sling under Elladan’s arms and when he was confident it would hold him without causing undue strain, Elrohir called up to the others to begin pulling the injured elf up.  He eased Elladan up as far as his arms could reach and then, disregarding Legolas’ certain disapproval for climbing without using the second rope, he slowly made his way up the wall alongside his brother, helping to guide his ascent and keep him from being bruised or bumped any more than necessary.

When he got near the top, eager hands pulled Elladan the rest of the way up while Elrohir scrambled up by himself, giving Legolas an apologetic look when the prince glanced at the unused second rope in annoyance.  Then he knelt down and turned his attention once more to his twin.

“Are you certain he will be all right?” asked Estel, hovering over Elrohir’s shoulder.

“Aye,” he answered distractedly.  “Although I will be glad when we get him back to camp.  I need several items stored there to finish caring for his injuries.”

The younger twin reached forward and brushed the hair away from Elladan’s face, his hand trembling slightly as he did so.  His training told him that his brother would be fine, but fatigue, worry, and that unpleasant encounter with the rats had unnerved him and found himself disheartened that, even though he was finally reunited with Elladan, it would still be long hours before he could sit and have a quiet conversation with his twin.

It was only when he pulled his hand back and saw that he’d left a red streak on Elladan’s face that Elrohir noticed his hand was covered in blood.  He looked at it stupidly and then his eyes flew back to Elladan, wondering if, through carelessness, he’d allowed his brother to receive a fresh wound.  He started to lean forward to check for additional injuries when Estel’s voice stopped him.

“Elrohir, you’re bleeding,” Estel said with concern.  Despite his ambivalent feelings regarding his brother, he couldn’t help but be dismayed to see Elrohir hurt.

The younger twin looked again at his hand, almost in a daze—in his worry about Elladan, he had actually forgotten the rat bites.  Now that he paused to consider his own state, however, he realized that not only were there several large gashes on his hand, but his head and back hurt far more than anything else.  Pain aside, however, when he looked at his hand with the dark crusted blood mixed with bright red fresh blood, he shuddered as he unwillingly remembered falling to the ground only to be covered with swarming, biting rats.  Obviously, climbing up the wall had reopened the earlier wounds and it was once more bleeding freely.  He grabbed a short scrap of cloth that was a leftover from his cloak and wound it quickly around his hand, dismissing unwelcome memories by saying tensely, “’Tis just a small bite, Estel.  Naught but a scratch and nothing to worry about.  It is Elladan we must be focusing on now.”

“But…”

“Nay, it does not even hurt,” he said before changing the subject abruptly.  “I really must properly care for Elladan’s injuries as soon as possible, so we should start our journey back immediately.  I will carry him, if you two will lead the way.”

With those words, Elrohir picked up his brother and stood, looking at his companions impatiently.  Now that he had Elladan, thinking once again about the rats reminded him just how much he hated this underground hell and he wanted to get out!

Legolas and Estel exchanged quick glances at Elrohir’s hurried actions—mere moments ago they were pulling Elladan up and now Elrohir was ready to rush off.  Still, he was the healer so if he thought Elladan was ready to be moved, they were not about to question him.  Somewhat bemused by the sudden turn of events, Legolas picked up his small pack as well as Elrohir’s, motioned for Estel to pick up the torch, and without further word, headed back the way they’d come.

The group started across the cavern and quickly reached the small tunnel where they had entered it.  Legolas and Estel of one accord paused and looked back at Elrohir, uncertain about reentering the tunnel which must still contain any number of rats.

Elrohir himself, however, glared at the two.  His insides may be twisted in knots at the thought of once more facing those horrid little beasts, but with Elladan in his arms, there was no power on Arda that would keep him from taking his twin to safety.

“Go on!” he snarled.

Sharing another wordless look, Legolas and Estel seemed to come to a decision and the two moved into the small passage, Legolas in the lead with Estel behind carrying the torch.  Elrohir followed with Elladan in his arms, once more ignoring the rats as they scurried amongst his feet.  However when he stepped on one accidentally and it shrieked in a high-pitched tone, he stopped dead, pulled despite himself once again back to a time of despair and darkness.  Some of his distress must have found its way to his twin, though, for Elladan at that moment made a murmuring sound and turned his head to rest more firmly on his brother’s shoulder.  Drawn out of the past by the motion, Elrohir looked down at the motionless form in his arms and after a deep breath, once again walked forward through the tunnel.


The small group continued through the passages, moving quicker than their initial journey now that they no longer had to search for signs of Elladan and go down every side passage in hopes of finding him.  Still, it took them at least another day to make their way out of the darkness, but at last the exhausted group left the caves and walked back out into the early afternoon sun.  Its warmth and light were a relief as they raised their faces to bask in the sun’s welcoming glow, thankful to be out of the cold damp underground.  They were not able to rest yet, however, as they still had to journey to the camp that they’d set up outside town.  Another hour passed before they finally reached the camp and Elrohir carefully lowered Elladan to the ground before collapsing wearily next to Legolas and Estel.

At first, no one moved.  While Elrohir savored the opportunity to do absolutely nothing, in the back of his mind he knew that he should be going through his packs and finding the supplies to finish caring for Elladan’s wounds.  But…he was beyond tired, beyond exhausted.  He had tapped into his reserves long ago and they were used up as well.  His head was pounding as he slumped against a tree, too weary to even make himself comfortable as the rough bark jabbed into his bruised back.  Too many days of worry and no sleep accompanied by that grueling journey underground had been followed by carrying his brother while his back became more and more painful…well now that it was all over he wasn’t sure he had any energy left and so he just sat, staring unseeing.

It was only when Elladan stirred and looked over at him blearily that Elrohir conjured up a small smile for his twin and from somewhere found the will to move.  Elladan needed him.  His fatigue would just have to wait.

“So you’ve finally joined us,” said Elrohir as he knelt beside Elladan.

Elladan squinted up at his twin as he tried to piece together just where he was and what had happened.  Finally deciding that his throbbing head wasn’t going to let him do that quite yet, he settled for merely answering quietly, “Aye.”

Elrohir patted his shoulder gently and said, “I take it you are not feeling quite yourself, are you?  Relax for a bit and we will have you feeling better shortly.”

Nodding was out of the question—even thinking of moving his head made him queasy—so Elladan murmured once again, “Aye,” and closed his eyes as he drifted asleep, knowing that whatever had befallen him, he could trust Elrohir to take care of things until he was feeling a bit less like he’d been squashed by a troll.

Both Legolas and Estel had heard the short exchange and came over to greet Elladan, but he had already fallen back asleep by the time they reached his side.  Disappointed, but understanding, they stood off to the side waiting to see if they could be of use.

Elrohir didn’t address them immediately, as it took a moment for his tired brain to decide what it was he needed them to do.  Crushing fatigue was making it hard to think, so he looked at them both blankly for a bit before shaking his head to clear his thoughts.  With a deep sigh, he said wearily, “I will need to properly treat Elladan’s injuries now that I have my supplies.  While I focus on that, could you please build a fire and…and perhaps prepare something to eat as well?  I am not certain I have the stomach for food, but when Elladan awakens again, he may be in need of a hot meal.”

Legolas murmured his concurrence and quietly began to clear away a spot where he could dig a fire pit.  Estel didn’t move, however, and instead stood looking, not at Elladan, but at Elrohir with an expression that the younger twin couldn’t read.  The look on Estel’s face was perplexing, but the tired elf simply didn’t have the energy to figure out what was going on in the boy’s mind, so he prompted a touch impatiently, “Estel?…”

Startled back into awareness, Estel adopted a neutral expression and said quickly, “I will gather some wood,” before rushing off to accomplish his task.

For awhile, no one spoke as the group went about their respective chores and the only sounds were those of each of them quietly working.  Elrohir tended to Elladan’s injuries, Legolas worked on the fire pit, and Estel came and went as he brought twigs and branches for the fire.


It wasn’t long before Elladan once again stirred, this time pulled out of that comfortable haziness by a sharp, grinding pain in his side.  Something was biting him!  His eyes flew open in alarm and he tried to rise, but was held down by a careful, yet firm hand.

“Lie still.”

The injured elf responded instantly to the command and relaxed, for not only was the voice as familiar to him as his own, but the tone was uncannily like his father’s when dealing with unmanageable patients.  The resemblance made him want to smile, although he didn’t dare.  Elrohir was usually a very amiable sort, but even through his fog Elladan sensed that for some reason his brother wouldn’t be in the mood to share in the humor.

He was distracted momentarily from Elrohir’s ministrations when both Legolas and Estel came over, noticing that he was once more awake.  He took the time to greet each of them before a warning look from Elrohir shooed the others away.

Elladan lay quietly while his twin worked, concentrating on keeping his nausea under control as well as making no sounds of pain as Elrohir began the careful process of binding his ribs.  His indrawn breath on a couple of occasions were a clear enough indication, however, that he was finding the ordeal rather trying, so Elrohir stopped what he was doing and rummaged through his packs, finally pulling out a small pouch which Elladan eyed longingly.  He had a matching one and knew exactly what was in it—a good selection of dried leaves amongst which there were several that could be used to treat a variety of ailments.  

He made no protest when Elrohir handed him a few to chew, not even when the bitter taste made him want to gag.  Almost immediately, the nausea began to recede and the pain in his side lessened dramatically.  It was only then that he truly began to take notice of the others and sensed an unusual tension.  There wasn’t anything he could put his finger on exactly, but his rescuers were simply too quiet.  The usual friendly banter or even regular conversation was missing entirely from the somber group.  Either there was more wrong with him than he thought, or something else had happened.  As the herbs pushed the pain farther into the background, he began to feel concerned.

Finally he broke the unnatural quiet when he asked, “What is it, Ro?  You and the others seem…unsettled.  What happened?  Clearly you found me—was there a fight?  Were any of you injured?” he concluded with a touch of alarm.

Elrohir knew his brother shouldn’t be worrying himself about anything right now and continued to dress Elladan’s wounds while answering calmly, “Legolas and Estel are fine.  And it seems you got yourself away from those men, so there was no fight.  Now you lie quietly while I see to your wounds, hmmn?  Save your strength and no more talking.”

Elrohir’s words caused Elladan to wonder...how had he managed to escape from the men?  He thought back, finding it hard to remember much other than never-ending darkness, pain, and loneliness.  Then the pieces started to fall back into place.   Ignoring his brother’s order to lie quietly without talking, he said, “I did nothing to escape from the men…they simply left me, knowing it was too dark to find my own way out.  And they were right.  It was so dark in the cave that I became lost and I could not find the path.  I had no torch, so I could only feel my way and I…I fell...a few times.  That is where I gained most of my injuries, truly,” he admitted bit shamefully, “not from anything the men did to me.  In truth, they were idiots who acted before they thought through the consequence of their actions.  I do not believe they ever had any real intent of hurting me, being more foolish than evil.” 

Elrohir didn’t respond at first, not feeling quite as generous to those who had threatened his twin and then left him to his fate in the tunnels.  For his twin’s sake, however, he made an effort to sound lighthearted and said with a faint smile, “Then you most certainly should lie still and let me tend to those injuries you heaped upon yourself.  If you are not healed by the time we get home, you will have to tell Ada how you managed to injure yourself and he will not allow us out of his sight for years.  It will be your fault if we are treated like elflings for decades.”

Elladan lightly scowled at his twin.  True or not, it was irritating to be reminded of how some of their previous exploits had landed them in trouble with their father, who had a tendency to treat them as elflings every time they came home in less than perfect condition.  He was about to say something grumpy back to Elrohir when he saw his twin wince when he reached back for a jar of healing paste.  Realizing that Elrohir had never answered whether or not he’d been injured, Elladan carefully studied him, seeing for the first time the rips in his clothes, the crude bandage wrapped around his hand, and the stiff way he held himself.  Not in any mood for subtlety and happy enough to redirect the conversation away from the cause of his own injuries, he asked bluntly, “So, how were you injured?”

Elrohir paused for a moment before answering as lightly as before, “I am fine.  You need to be worrying about yourself, brother.  Concentrating on healing and resting.”

Elladan wasn’t convinced by his brother’s easy words.  Elrohir was just plain daft if he thought he could hide things from him.  Determined not to be put off, he challenged, “That is no answer.  Your hand is bandaged and I can see many other small wounds…”

“Just scratches,” said Elrohir with a slight shrug as he once more started dressing his brother’s wounds.

“…and you are moving stiffly...”

“From carrying around a lump of a brother,” said Elrohir with a touch of a grin.

“…and you are pale...” pressed Elladan.

“Fatigue,” dismissed his brother, starting to frown as he continued to work.

“…and your hands are shaking…” said Elladan stubbornly.

“No doubt from that same fatigue or hunger,” Elrohir countered from between tightly clenched teeth, his tone warning Elladan to cease.

“…and you are acting tense...” said Elladan, not ready to concede.

“Enough!” roared Elrohir, throwing the cloth he had in his hand to the ground and glaring at his brother.  Feeling three sets of eyes on him, Elrohir took a deep breath and finished in an annoyed voice, “Anyone would be tense if they had a dimwit of a brother who prattled on when he should be resting.  Now be still and let me tend to your injuries before I am tempted to give you new ones!”

One look at his twin’s face and Elladan lay back quickly, kicking himself mentally.  Although Elrohir’s threat was delivered in jest, it was clear that the younger twin was genuinely upset.  Elladan closed his eyes with a wince for his own stupidity.  He should have known better.  Maybe he could blame the concussion for scrambling his brain, because he normally was much better at handling his brother.  He could tell that Elrohir was deeply troubled by something, but needling him was the wrong way to find out what.  From long experience, Elladan knew that Elrohir could be uncommonly stubborn at times and if he were truly upset, pressing him would only make him withdraw into himself, becoming impossible to reach.  The prudent thing, therefore, was to simply do as Elrohir asked and rest while his twin calmed down. 

For long minutes, no one said anything as Elrohir continued to work silently, giving Elladan a chance to relax and let his thoughts float as one-by-one his injuries were tended.  Elladan also had to admit that it felt good to simply lay back and let Elrohir take care of him.  It wasn’t the first time he was grateful for his twin’s skill as a healer and after Elrohir had finished rewrapping his ribs in real bandages and properly treating his shoulder, he sighed in relief.  The lessening of pain was such a welcome change after days of crawling about injured in the darkness.

Elrohir noted a bit of color return to Elladan’s face and felt some of his own tension recede as Elladan relaxed.  “Feeling better?” he asked quietly, lightly squeezing Elladan’s forearm, causing the injured elf to open his eyes and smile up at his brother.

“Aye.  My thanks,” he said.

Elrohir shook his head as he started to clean some of his brother’s smaller cuts and scrapes.  “Since when is there a need for thanks between us?” he asked solemnly.

Elladan smiled again at his brother, but his smile faded when he noted that Elrohir wouldn’t meet his eyes.  Taking the opportunity try again to dig for answers to his twin’s obvious unhappiness, Elladan reached up and grabbed Elrohir’s hand, stopping him for the moment.  “Perhaps there isn’t a need, but I am grateful to you for coming for me, especially into that cave.  I know it cannot have been easy for you, Ro, and I am sorry my carelessness caused you to have to endure yet another trip underground.  I hope it was not particularly unpleasant?”

Elrohir didn’t pull his hand away, but shrugged, trying to make light of the endless days he had walked through the darkness, feeling like the walls would close in and suffocate him while he watched every dark hole for swarms of rats.  “I cannot pretend to you I enjoyed it, but Legolas and Estel were with me…and we had torches to light our way.  Did you really expect me to not come for you?”

“No,” Elladan answered softly.  “In truth I would expect nothing else.  I knew it was only a matter of time before you found me.  But I still wish you had not had to go down there.”

Elrohir nodded and met Elladan’s eyes for just a moment before turning away.  It was fleeting, but it was enough for Elladan to see a haunted look in those eyes that Elrohir couldn’t completely mask.  Hating to see Elrohir distressed in any way, the older brother in Elladan wanted nothing more than to confront his twin again and demand to know what was upsetting him.  However, he didn’t want to cause him any further grief, so he swallowed whatever he might have said and decided to say nothing more for now, laying quietly while Elrohir finished cleaning and caring for the rest of his injuries.

After Elrohir had completed everything he could do, tucked Elladan under a blanket, and had put away his supplies, he sat at his brother’s side, wanting to be near him, but looking a bit lost with no further tasks to distract him.  This tense silence went on for awhile, but at last, unable to watch his brother’s distress without doing anything, Elladan decided the best way he could help his twin was to find a way for him to unwind and regain his inner peace.

Knowing he was being very obvious but hoping that Elrohir would not take offense, Elladan said, “Elrohir, I was just thinking…could you possibly go to the river and catch some fresh fish for dinner?  I am famished, as I have not eaten in days.  It would help me regain my strength and I would be ever so grateful…” he finished with the same pleading look he had tried to use on their parents when they were small.

Elrohir raised an eyebrow at Elladan’s fake look of pleading and fought a smile.  He wasn’t fooled for a moment.  He knew Elladan was trying to give him a graceful excuse to go off on his own, but understanding that Elladan had an ulterior motive didn’t make him any less appreciative of the chance to sit by the peaceful river and soak up some of its peace himself.  With gratitude in his eyes, he played along and said, “Aye…if it is fish you desire, I will catch you the biggest, fattest one I can find.  That is, only if you promise to rest while I am gone,” he added.

After gaining Elladan’s promise that he’d take it easy and reassuring himself that his brother would be fine if he left for awhile, Elrohir pulled out a hook and fishing line from one of his packs and was turning to leave when his eyes fell on his little brother, now sitting against a tree and watching the twins intently.  Estel had been curiously silent ever since Elladan’s rescue and Elrohir berated himself for not taking better care of the young man—he had been consumed with the need to care for his injured twin and felt bad that he’d neglected Estel in the meantime.  The teenager was seldom so silent, and Elrohir was concerned that Estel had been upset by the whole ordeal. 

Pushing aside his own desperate need for time alone, Elrohir called over, “Estel, our famished brother has asked for fish for dinner and I have promised to catch him a nice fat one.  Would you care to join me?”

The young man’s response caught the three elves completely by surprise.  Now that the immediate crisis was over and he’d had time to think about Elrohir’s actions in the cave, he’d once more been consumed with disgust, so with unveiled scorn in his voice, Estel answered, “You wish someone to go with you?  Why, Elrohir?  Afraid it’s going to be dark soon?...that you might run into something out there?  Who knows what might be lurking about—there may even be field mice skulking about in these woods.”

His elven brother stood like a statue, not believing he’d heard correctly.  Never had he ever heard Estel use that condescending tone on anyone, let alone anyone in the family.  It just wasn’t his way.  But then Elrohir looked into his brother’s face and knew that he hadn’t imagined it.  The eyes that had always shone with love and respect now held a disturbing mix of contempt, disgust, disappointment, and even anger.  Elrohir literally felt himself grow cold as he came to terms with what his little performance in the caves had cost him.  His beloved brother had seen his reaction to the rats and, as a consequence, had lost all respect for him.  It might even cost him Estel’s love.  Elrohir couldn’t believe how cold and empty that made him feel.

He opened his mouth to respond, but initially no sound came out.  He tried again and the second time, he was more successful even though his voice was barely audible.  “Perhaps…” he said woodenly, “perhaps it would be better if I went alone.”  And before anyone could say anything else, the stricken elf turned and vanished into the forest.

Estel’s eyes followed the elf as he stood grim-faced, staring down the path where his brother had disappeared.  A piece of him felt satisfied—he had felt a certain power in putting Elrohir in his place and letting him know that he did not approve of cowardly behavior.  His moment of contentment was short-lived, however.  His budding feelings of satisfaction started to slip away as Elrohir’s face flashed before his mind’s eye and he once again saw the look of shock, hurt, and finally pained acceptance on his brother’s face.  Estel knew he had hurt the younger twin like never before and something inside him was saying that he had been very, very wrong to do so.

Before he could decide how to respond to that pang of remorse, however, he suddenly felt himself being bodily lifted from the ground and then shoved back against the tree.  In shock, he jerked his head up to find that he was staring into the furious eyes of his oldest brother.

“Your wounds…” was all he could say before Elladan interrupted.

“Hang my wounds!” he growled.  “What do you think you were saying?”

Estel’s shock at being manhandled by his enraged brother chased away any regrets and his mood shifted quickly to anger as he shot back defensively, “You didn’t see him in the cave, Elladan.  He was scared!  Elrohir was scared!” he finished contemptuously.

Elladan didn’t let his squirming brother go, but turned his head to Legolas and demanded, “What happened?”

Legolas had raced over after Elladan when he saw the older twin kick off his blankets and fly over to Estel.  He knew that Elladan shouldn’t even be sitting up right now, let alone using all his energy to hold up his youngest brother.  Hoping to calm the situation down, he said quietly, “It was a rather tense time, Elladan.  Days of endless searching in the darkness and then…near the end, we encountered a rather large group of rats.  I did not see exactly what happened, but apparently some caught Elrohir by surprise.  They…upset him.”

Elladan dropped his little brother unceremoniously and staggered back. 

“Damn,” he breathed in dismay, slowly sinking to his knees as his injuries caught up with him.  He closed his eyes in heartfelt sorrow as he imagined Elrohir once more facing his nightmare without him.  Not again.  He had been hoping it was just being in the cave that was bothering him.  Not more rats.  “Oh, Elrohir,” he whispered.

Estel, misreading Elladan’s reaction as a confirmation of his own feelings, said triumphantly, “Now you see what I was talking about.  He was scared!”

Estel’s words brought Elladan’s focus back to his littlest brother and he said harshly, “I expect he was.  Your point?”

At the angry words, Estel pushed to his feet and scowled—surely Elladan wasn’t mad at him when he should be upset with Elrohir’s behavior!  He crossed his arms in front of him and hissed, “Maybe you are not bothered since you did not see, but I am ashamed to think of my brother as a coward.”

Struggling to his feet as he was overcome by rage, Elladan grated out, “A coward?  Elrohir?!  You are not only arrogant but a fool as well!  How dare you?” 

Estel backed up a step, for the first time in his life actually fearing his brother.  He had never seen such anger directed at him and didn’t know what to do.  Even injured, Elladan could be hugely intimidating.  Then, like an unexpected savior, a calm voice interjected, “Elladan, you need to rest.  It will not help Elrohir if he comes back to find you have further injured yourself.  You promised him.”

Elladan whipped his head around, ready to tell Legolas exactly where he could put his suggestion when the quick movement made him dizzy and he nearly passed out.  The world spiraled around him, dousing his rage like nothing else could and with great effort he choked out, “Legolas…I…I…”

Legolas quickly grabbed his swaying friend, whose face had suddenly lost all color.  Ignoring Estel, he easily picked Elladan up and carried the semi-conscious elf back to the soft pile of blankets that had been prepared for him earlier.  Laying Elladan back down, he shook his head.  “That was foolish,” he scolded gently.  “Elrohir would have your ears if he had seen you.”

Elladan drew in an unsteady breath and nodded, but as the dizziness faded, his anger began to spark again as he remembered what had pulled him from his bed.  In a weak, but hard voice, he said, “Aye, but Estel…”

Legolas hushed Elladan by lightly covering his mouth.  Then with a shake of his head as warning, he removed his hand and thought quickly before speaking.  He, too, had been shocked at Estel’s words and could only imagine how Elrohir had taken them.  But he was also sure that Elrohir would feel even worse if Elladan did more damage to himself on his behalf, so his first duty was to calm down the still-upset elf.  Soothingly, he said,  “Never mind him right now.  Estel is very young and needs to be taught a few lessons, not the least of which are compassion and respect.”  Then almost reluctantly, he added, “But I have seen these past weeks that he is a good lad.  He is in all probability regretting his words and he will make things right with Elrohir when he sees him.”

Elladan shook his head slightly.  Legolas didn’t know Estel like he did—the young man did have a good heart, but was not known for saying things he didn’t mean.  He would have to be made to understand before he backed away from his stand.  He would have to be told.

Elladan groaned lightly as he thought about telling the tale of Elrohir’s earliest encounter with rats.  It was a long story and he didn’t feel up to telling it right now.  Right now his body was screaming for him to close his eyes and let the beckoning darkness pull him in.  Maybe if he closed his eyes for just a moment he could gain enough strength and then he could play big brother and make Estel understand.  Aye...if he could close his eyes for just a moment.  Elladan felt his eyes droop shut and with a sigh, allowed himself to start to drift away.  When he felt himself actually falling asleep, however, he momentarily fought it, not wanting to give in completely.  Then utter weariness finally overcame the injured elf and his head fell to the side as he slipped into a deep, healing sleep.

“Sleep well, my friend,” said Legolas softly as he tucked the blankets around Elladan.  He smiled a bit sadly as he stood up.  This was not at all what he’d imagined when he’d decided to visit the brothers in Rivendell.  Elladan was injured, Elrohir was upset, and Estel was sulking.  What a mess.  At least Elladan was resting peacefully for at the moment, Elrohir was hopefully finding solace by the river, and Estel…well, now that Elladan was asleep, Legolas could admit to himself that he was still angry with Estel and was content to let the boy sulk for awhile.


While Legolas had been tending to Elladan, Estel simply watched them.  He couldn’t remember the last time he’d been so upset.  For hours he had been reeling from seeing his ‘fearless’ brother so shaken by some silly little rats, and now he still felt that flutter of shocked fear that had accompanied having Elladan’s full fury directed at him.  Certainly he’d irritated the twins from time to time over the years, but he couldn’t remember either of them actually being angry with him before and the experience left him more upset than he’d like to admit.

He stood there, silently watching as Legolas made sure Elladan was comfortable.  On one level, Estel wanted to join them and smooth things over with Elladan—to make him understand so he wouldn’t be so angry.  But he also wasn’t ready to back down, so when he saw Elladan close his eyes and go to sleep, he gladly accepted the excuse to not say anything for now and instead went to gather some wood for the fire.

When he returned, Legolas was again working on the fire pit, clearing away brush and rimming the shallow hole with stones. 

The young teenager approached Legolas a bit hesitantly.  Estel had calmed himself down while gathering wood and now struggled with what to say to the elf.  Not only was he appalled that Legolas had witnessed Elrohir’s behavior in the cave, but he was also not very happy that the prince had heard Elladan berating him.  He was desperate to distance himself from the shame of both events and decided at the very least he needed to show his new friend that he didn’t approve of Elrohir’s cowardice.

Estel said quietly, trying not to arouse Elladan, “I should have known Elladan would take his side.  They always do.  Maybe if he’d seen what we did he would think differently.”  When he got no response from Legolas, who kept silently building the fire pit, he added conspiratorially, “You know what I speak of.  You saw him as well as I.  Elrohir is no warrior.  He was afraid.”

But Estel was in for one final, major disappointment.  Legolas had been trying not to say anything to the boy, feeling that it was a family matter between Estel and the twins, but now he could no longer hold his tongue.  He turned to Estel with an angry glare and hissed quietly, also aware of the sleeping Elladan, “Yes, he was afraid, but that does not make him any less a warrior.  How is it you do not comprehend?  Clearly I overestimated your maturity.  Up until now, I was able to forget what a child you are, but it is clear from your lack of understanding and your callous words that you are no more than a squawling babe who should have been left home in the nursery.  I have no interest in hearing you speak with such disrespect for your brother, so be quiet and leave me in peace!”  And then he turned his back on the astonished young man.

Shocked into silence by an overwhelming onslaught of emotions, Estel dropped his wood with a clatter, stalked over to the packs, and then began randomly yanking out the things they would need to prepare dinner.  Pride smarting from Legolas’ words, upset with Elladan, and…and unable to sort out what he was feeling with regards to Elrohir, Estel was awash with an almost uncontrollable desire to break something. 

As he continued to throw the contents of the pack onto the ground, he allowed the anger to grow until it overshadowed everything else and suddenly knew he had to get out of there.  Yes, he should have known they all would stick up for each other.  After all, they were elves and he was just a human…no, a “child” according to Legolas.  Well perhaps it was time for this “child” to part company with them.  Perhaps he no longer wanted to hear any of them either! 

He marched over to his own pack but before he could do more than pick it up, he heard the weak voice of his brother call over, “Estel, put your pack down before you do something stupid.”

Not even caring that he had woken his brother, he seethed with anger.  Now he was being stupid?  He shook his head and snapped, “Why should I stay here with you?  You are all upset with me and I have done nothing wrong.  Elrohir was the one who acted badly in the cave, and yet I am accused of being a child.  Elrohir was the one who behaved as a child, not me!  But you refuse to see that and berate me for speaking the truth.  So I am done traveling with you.  I am going home.”

“Alone?  I think not,” said Elladan, struggling to get an elbow beneath him.  Once again becoming dizzy from expending too much effort, he called breathlessly, “Legolas, if he tries to leave, stop him.  Sit on him if you must.”

Legolas nodded in response to Elladan’s request and took a step menacingly toward the angry teenager.

“Don’t you touch me!” Estel hissed.

“Estel...” warned Elladan.

“No!  I will not stay.  I am certainly old enough to go home alone.  If you stop me now, I’ll...I’ll just wait until you aren’t watching and leave then,” he threatened.

“Estel!  Estel...just...just hold still a moment,” Elladan finished tiredly, unable to sustain even the energy it took to scold his brother.

He laid back and allowed the fatigue to ease away the rest of his anger with the lad.  In fact, if he hadn’t been so sore and tired, Elladan might have found his little brother’s open defiance somewhat amusing.  Estel was usually a good-tempered lad and this rebellion was such a departure from his normal behavior that it was almost funny.  However, Elladan was exhausted, he was aching from head to toe, and he was worried about Elrohir—it was all he could to do try to think of a way to calm Estel down and he wasn’t about to make things worse by saying so and further annoying the boy.

For just a moment, he flung his bandaged right arm over his face, wishing he could drift back into blessed, pain-free oblivion.  But he knew it wasn’t an option and dropped his arm back to his side as he decided, “Legolas, he will have to be made to understand.  He must be told about what happened when we were children.  Would you help me up?  I cannot tell the story from the flat of my back.”

The elven prince looked over at the fuming young man, who still stood with his pack in his hands while scowling at the elves.  Legolas considered the ill-tempered teenager carefully.  He really liked Estel and saw in him the beginnings of a great friend, but right now he was upset with the youngster.  It took a lot for the prince to lose his temper, but for once that threshold had been crossed and he was having a hard time keeping himself from giving Estel another tongue-lashing.  He knew the courage it had taken for Elrohir to continue through those passages with rats scurrying underfoot and also knew how Estel’s contemptuous words must have hurt his long-time friend.  And now his childish defiance was beyond irritating.  He knew that Elladan was right, though.  In the first place, the young man couldn’t be allowed to wander about the forests alone and in the second place, there was Elrohir to consider—if Estel could be made to understand, an apology could go a long way to help ease the younger twin’s darkened spirits. 

Legolas went over to Elladan and started to help him up, but almost instantly realized that his friend really should remain lying down.  Elladan looked so drained—the injured elf clearly shouldn’t be sitting up and Legolas gently laid him back down and said quietly, “You rest for now.  I will tell Estel what he needs to know.”   Then he turned to the young man.  “Estel, come here,” he ordered, trying to keep any lingering irritation out of his voice.  “I have a story to tell you.”

**************

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List