Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

From the noteboook  by Anso the Hobbit

Title: The Trouble With Responsibility
Author: Anso the Hobbit
Characters: The hobbits, Aragorn
Timeline: Minas Tirith, SR 1419
Note: h/c and fluff. Be warned. ;) Not betaed.
Disclaimer: Not mine. They just own me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Merry?” Pippin said quietly as he opened the bedroom door. It was time for supper and Merry should have woken up after his nap now. He had stumbled off to bed after coming from the day's duties, claiming in need of some sleep before he was ready to meet the world again. Opening the door further Pippin saw Merry was laying curled into a tight ball on the bed, apparently fast asleep.

“Pip?” Merry`s head appeared from the covers, his voice muffled by the heavy blankets.

“Yes. You have been sleeping for two hours. Is everything all right?” Pippin came fully into the room and sat down at Merry`s side. “You look warm.”

“I don’t feel well. My stomach hurts.” Merry tried to sit up, but flopped back down. "It took some time before I fell asleep." Merry burrowed down in the blankets again, tucking them up under his chin and sinking his head deep down into the pillows.

Pippin touched his cheek. “You’re running a fever. Does it hurt a lot?”

Merry nodded. “I tried being sick earlier but I couldn’t manage. I just gagged and nothing came up,” Merry said.

“Poor Merry!” Pippin rubbed Merry's shoulder through the blankets. "Is there anything I can get you? Do you want me to rub your tummy? That sometimes help when it aches," Pippin said soothingly. "Or find some dry biscuits and a bit of water or tea for you? Have you eaten at all since breakfast?"

“I don’t think I could handle food now, Pip. But maybe some water, please?”

“Of course,” Pippin patted Merry's arm and went to the kitchen to fill a pitcher with fresh water and find a mug. He climbed up on a chair and made a plate of dry toast to bring Merry in case he would want to eat anyway when presented with the food.

Merry had closed his eyes while Pippin was gone, but opened them as Pippin sat the things down on the table by the bed. He poured water into the mug and steadied Merry as he sipped at it.

Merry lay down wearily and sighed. "What time is it, Pip? Have the others come back yet?"

“It’s soon time for supper, but we’re alone I think. Frodo should be back soon though. He has been in the library all day and Sam has been with him, saying that now that everything was over he had time to study the lore of the elves. He didn’t get to do much of that when we were in Rivendell, you know." Pippin helped Merry lie back and stroked the hair back from his face. “Now, how about that rub, eh? I am sure it will help, Merry. I`ll be gentle.” Pippin smiled reassuringly. Merry had rubbed his tummy on more than one occasion when Pippin had had some sort of stomach pain and it had often helped.

Merry nodded and tried to relax under Pippin's gentle ministrations. The rubbing didn’t make the pain worse and it was good to feel the coolness of Pippin's hands.

Pippin gave Merry’s belly a final pat and tucked the covers up around him nicely again. "How’s that?"

“Better,” Merry mumbled. The soft rubbing had made him sleepy again and he turned over onto his side and curled up. “I think I`ll take another nap. Don’t eat all the mushrooms, Pip,” Merry slurred and was asleep between one breath and the next.

“I'll save some for you. That is, if we're having mushrooms. I don't know what we will get. It’s not my night to cook." Pippin looked at his sleeping cousin. “Actually, Merry, it’s your turn, but since you are sleeping your way though supper I suppose we will have to manage without you." Checking that Merry was sleeping peacefully, Pippin stoked up the fire and lit a candle which he placed on the table by the bed in case Merry should wake up or need something. Just as Pippin turned to leave, Merry's eyes flew open and he grabbed Pippin by the hand. 

“Pip, I think you should get Strider," Merry whispered before letting go and sinking back into the bed.

Pippin tried to hide his shock of hearing Merry actually asking him to get Aragorn. Instead he said “I’ll go get him at once.” He squeezed Merry`s arm reassuringly. “But I’ll get Frodo to sit with you first.”

Merry nodded and curled up again. Pippin watched him disappear beneath the blankets then ran out of the room, remembering just in time to close the door quietly. “Frodo!” He ran out into the kitchen, where Gimli, Frodo and Legolas were arriving.

“What`s wrong, Pippin?” Frodo asked in alarm. He put his books down on the table and ran over to Pippin, taking his shoulders to calm him.

“It’s Merry. I need to get Strider!”

“What?” Frodo said. “What’s happened to Merry?”

“He's sick," Pippin explained and continued in a rush. "He asked me to, Frodo. Merry never tells me he’s not feeling well or asks to see the healer. Something is very wrong. Will you go sit with him?”

“Of course I will.” Frodo started walking towards the hobbits’ bedroom.

“Wait, Pippin. I’ll go find Aragorn,” Legolas said. “I am swifter on my feet than you and your cousin need you.”

Pippin nodded thanks and followed Frodo into the bedroom. Merry was not asleep but lay shivering, completely covered by the blanket.

“Merry?” Frodo said softly. “How are you feeling?” Frodo climbed up on the large bed beside Merry and started rubbing his back.

“Not so good,” Merry mumbled.

“Pippin tells me your stomach hurts. Have you tried to lie on your front or lie on a pillow beneath you? That might help." Frodo reached for a pillow and placed it in front of Merry so he could take it if he wanted. Merry mumbled some inaudible thanks and pressed the pillow to him and curled up around it.

In the meantime Pippin had started lighting more candles and saw to that the fire burned merrily. Merry was running a fever, but it would not do him good if the room was chilled.

Aragorn arrived with Legolas a few moments later and went straight for Merry while Legolas went back to Gimli in the kitchen. By now Merry was dozing, Frodo was still rubbing his back and singing softly, now and again checking Merry's face.

“Merry?” Aragorn sat down on Merry's other side and placed a hand on his brow, stroking the curls away from his eyes. Merry lifted his head from the confines of pillows and blankets and looked at him with watery eyes.

“Hello, Strider.”

“Legolas said you had asked Pippin to find me and that you feel sick. I know that you don’t easily admit to not feeling well, so I'm guessing that you are hurting pretty much?" Aragorn asked, peeling away blankets and feeling along Merry*s right arm and hand, which were too hot like the rest of him. No bad dreams were causing this ailment then.

Merry nodded and told him what he earlier had said to Pippin. "I tried being sick."

“Anything else?” Aragorn asked, now gently prying away the pillow Merry was clutching.

“I feel so tired and weak. It feels like I could sleep for an Age but for the pain. I’m sorry to take you away from your duties and the Lady Arwen, Aragorn," Merry said trying to sound contrite but was too miserable to make an actual effort.

“Sssh. Do not say such things. You are my friend and I am concerned when you are not well." Aragorn said. "Can you manage to lie on your back?"

“I`ll try.” Merry rolled onto his back and scrunched up his face as his body stretched out.

“All right,” Aragorn said as he finished poking and prodding. Merry had tried to lie still, but it was obvious that he was in too much pain. Even the slightest pressure caused him pain and Aragorn frowned when Pippin said he was able to rub Merry¨s belly just a short while ago and that it felt normal, except for the heat of his skin. Merry had not yet regained the soft and rounded belly of a proper hobbit that he had when they left for the Quest - none of them had.

Aragorn continued to ask Merry questions about what he had eaten that day and the previous and if some of the foods were new to him.

“I had that funny yellow fruit that looks like a pine cone but is sweet but also a bit sour," Merry said. "Other than that I can't remember anything unusual.”

“A pineapple?” Aragorn asked.

“Yes," Frodo said. "I remember Merry liked it quite well. He did eat quite a bit of it."

“I found it goes lovely with those oranges,” Merry said. “They are truly lovely!”

“He loves those too,” Pippin said.

Aragorn smiled. "How many oranges did you eat, Merry?"

“Three,” Merry admitted. “And almost a whole pineapple.”

“And he had some of that green fruit Sam loves so much.” Pippin added.

“What green fruit? Did you eat something that wasn’t ripe, Merry?”

“No it was ripe all right. Quite juicy too actually,” Merry said. He had curled up again and was clutching the pillow. “It was one of those kiwis."

“Merry,” Aragorn said. “All the fruits you have been eating are full of acid. A little of all of them is good, but not the amounts you have been consuming."

“I suppose,” Merry said. “But that isn’t why my stomach hurts. I usually drink some milk if I feel I have to much acid and I had some earlier today."

Frodo and Pippin looked at Merry worriedly. “Merry?” Frodo said, edging closer and stroking his hand comfortingly though Merry’s hair. Pippin climbed up beside Frodo and reached for one of Merry’s hands. Merry looked at them gratefully and closed his eyes for a moment. He was so tired, but it hurt too much to sleep.

“How are your duties, Merry?"

Merry opened his eyes again. “What do you mean?”

“I know that you work hard to do your best for Éomer and Rohan. Éomer told me yesterday that he was very pleased with you but also a little worried because you work harder than you need to." Aragorn said.

“I am glad to hear he is pleased, but there is a lot to do. He needs all the help he can get.” Merry said.

“I am sure that there are many tasks that need to be done, but Merry, don't you think that you do more than your fair share of them?" Aragorn asked gently.

“I am his servant, I could do no less,” Merry looked Aragorn square in the eye. “It is my duty to do what I can for Rohan and its King.”

Aragorn sighed. Stubborn hobbit! Sometimes Merry was too responsible and to well aware of his duties. He had tried to look out for signs of what he feared now was ailing him, but Aragorn understood now that he hadn't seen them in time. "Merry, your duty is first and foremost to yourself. Éomer is your friend. I do not think he would like to see you work yourself into a stupor. He came to me because he was concerned that you might do just that. You are a Knight of Rohan, a Rider, but you are also a hobbit. And if nothing else, I am sure that there is someone back in the Shire, in addition to your cousins and friends here, who would like to see that Merry Brandybuck is well and happy. Don't you agree?"

Merry nodded sheepishly. “Yes.”

“I thought so.”

Frodo looked from Merry to Aragorn. “What’s wrong?”

“He is overworked." Aragorn looked at Merry again. "You have worked harder than you can handle. When you don't see the signals the body starts to protest and that is why you are feeling sick now."

“Is there anything you can do?” Pippin asked.

“Not much. He needs to rest and restore his energy. I will provide a tea for his stomach pain but other than that rest is the only remedy for this. Merry, I am saying this as your friend and healer: You are to rest and I am talking to Éomer to take you off duty for the rest of the week and next. Also, I am going to give you some exercises you can use to train yourself to take the signals before things go too far." Aragorn rose. "I will be back shortly."

For several seconds the three cousins looked at each other in silence. Frodo was furious and Pippin was scared, Merry observed.

“How could you?” Frodo asked angrily. “Have you learned nothing?”

“Yes!” Pippin said. "How could you scare us like that?"

“’M sorry,” Merry said weakly, shying away from them a little and burrowing deeper in under the covers. “I just wanted to do my best and show my worth.”

“Merry! You have shown your worth to Rohan and Gondor and all of Middle-earth ten times over and more! What do you have to prove?" Frodo asked a little more gently.

“It’s just that we are hobbits, and small, and everything here is so big. People look upon us as children. Yesterday I watched a woman look at me in wonder, rub her eyes and look at me again before shaking her head. It was not an experience I’d like to repeat."

“I am sorry about that, Merry, but we are something out of legend for the people here, you know that.” Pippin said, shaking off the memory of a similar experience he had had himself.

“And if they don’t take me for being a child they take me for a page," Merry said. "That isn¨t so bad in itself, because I want to do what I can to be of help, but it doesn't help them understand that I'm not a child either."

“I suppose,” Pippin said. “But working yourself into a stupor doesn’t make things better. If you are as old and wise as you try to be you should have seen the signals."

“Mr. Frodo?” Sam's voice could be heard calling from the hallway.

“We’re in here, Sam!” Frodo said. "Please come in.”

“Oh,” Sam said, seeing the cousin-pile on the bed. “I am sorry if I am disturbing anything important.” He looked closer at Merry. “Are you all right, Mr. Merry? You do look a might unwell if I may say so. Should we get Mr. Strider?”

“He has already been here.” Pippin said. “He’s gone off to make some tea for Merry. I bet it is a nasty and foul-tasting one.”

"Pippin!” Frodo said.

"I'm sorry, but don't you think he deserves that after acting so foolishly?"

Frodo tried not to laugh but a small snicker escaped anyway. “I suppose you’re right.”

“Hey!” Merry sat up slightly. “Don’t I have something to say in this?”

“No.” Frodo said and pushed him down again. Turning to Sam he said. "He’s worked himself into a state and has fever, exhaustion and a stomach ache to show for it.”

“That's a shame,” Sam said. "What happened?"

“Oh, just a bit of foolishness and wanting to be of use." Merry said. “I have had my share of being overlooked and considered a bother and a bag to last me a lifetime and probably tried to hard to show that I could do what was asked of me."

“And a good bit of what was not asked, I warrant?" Sam said.

“Yes, that too,” Merry admitted and ducked his head, blushing.

“So, now that we have all agreed that you are a fool and have taken your mouth too full, I’d say that you have learned your lesson and won’t do it again?" Pippin said, crawling closer to Merry, who by this point was almost about to fall off the bed on the far side, and drawing him closer, covers and pillows and all.

Merry nodded. “I shall learn to listen more to my body from now on." He said solemnly.

“Good!" Pippin said sternly, looking Merry in the eye. "Do you promise?"

“I promise, Pip, I promise.”

“Good.” Frodo said and then he and Pippin reached over and hugged Merry tight.

“I am thinking," Frodo said, "that you were caught unawares this time since you didn't get one of your bad headaches now.”

“Yes,” Merry said. "I didn’t think I had been overexerting myself when I started feeling sick, I was more worried about doing my duty than what could be wrong with me." Merry sighed and let Pippin fluff the pillows before settling more comfortably in the bed. “And to be honest, I thought I would be better for a nap.”

 “You aren’t and we'll just have to hope the rest and Aragorn’s tea will do the trick. Where is he anyway?"

“I hope he got caught up on the way," Merry muttered. "I do not want any of his awful concoctions."

“Awful or not Merry, you are going to take them, if I have to pour them down your throat myself. You have to take responsibility for your actions. You who are so concerned about being responsible all the time should know that better than anyone." Frodo admonished.

“Yes, Cousin,” Merry said. He was growing increasingly tired and the pain had eased a little. He sighed. Some sleep would be nice now. He turned a little on the pillow and tucked his hands in under his head and was soon asleep, listening to the others soft murmurs and Pippin's cool hands placing a cold cloth on his face.

“Poor lad," Frodo said fondly, watching Merry fall sleep.

“Well, someone ought to see about supper,” Sam said. "I’ll go get things started.”

As Sam was about to open the door, Aragorn entered. “I am sorry my friends, but I was delayed. Our friends the Dwarf, the Steward of Gondor, the King of Rohan and a certain Lady was quite persistent in their demands about the state of our Knight of Rohan here. I eased their worries, but I am curtailing Merry's visitors to you today, so he can get some proper rest." Aragorn said.

He placed a tray of various phials and covered cups on the table by the fire and looked over at Merry. “How is he?"

“I think the pain has lessened a bit, for he is sleeping again.” Pippin said, watching Merry’s face carefully. “But it feels like the fever is up a little."

Aragorn nodded. “I suspect it will rise further as he relaxes and his body gets to work." He prepared a tea and sat down beside Merry on the bed, softly shaking his shoulder. "Wake up now, Merry, just for a little while."

Merry turned over and in the sleepy moments of wakening thought it was morning. “Hullo, Strider. It can’t be time to get up yet? It`s dark and I’m tired."

“No, it`s not time to get up, Merry.” Aragorn chuckled. He placed a hand under Merry’s back and lifted him slightly. “Here, drink this.”

Merry opened his eyes and remembered that it wasn't morning at all and that he had promised to drink whatever foul concoction Aragorn would make. Merry sighed and let the drink pass through his lips. As he predicted, it tasted horrible and he gagged. Aragorn hastily gave the cup to Frodo and reached for the empty chamber pot that stood under Merry's bed and just barely managed to hold it in front of Merry before he was violently sick.

At last Merry lay back wearily. "That was awful."

“I should think so yes, by the look of it. And there*s plenty more over there if you want," Frodo said nodding to the table. “And you promised.”

“He promised what?” Aragorn asked.

“Oh, we just had a cousinly talk about responsibility and straightened some things out." Pippin said nonchalantly, averting Aragorn's curious gaze and concentrating on brushing Merry's curls from his forehead.

“Ah." After knowing the hobbits for almost a year, Aragorn had learned the hard way not to interfere when the cousins had a discussion going. "Do you think he has learned his lesson, then?"

“I hope so,” Frodo said. “I think he should know that he got an eye-opener when he realised that he could have other symptoms than a bad headache after exerting himself too much."

“That is true." Aragorn nodded in approval. "Good thinking. Now, I`ll let this Rider get some rest and go have supper. I suppose you want to eat here? I warrant he'll want some company when he wakes up again."

“Yes, thank you,” Pippin said and sat down beside Frodo, the both of them settling down comfortably for a night of cousin-watching. “So, Pip. He can’t get away with this. What do you suppose we should do?”
“Hm… We should think up something really nasty. I don’t suppose Aragorn’s remedies are bad enough.”

“No,” Frodo shook his head smiling broadly. "We definitely need to think up something."

“Well, since it looks like we’ll be sitting here some time we might as well get to work,” Pippin said, rubbing his hands, a mischievous smile lighting up his features and for the moment chasing away the worry that had settled in his eyes.

END





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List