Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Avoidance  by Stefania

AUTHOR'S NOTE

"Avoidance" began its life as movie verse with much respect paid to book canon. This is its final chapter, although it will have an epilogue with two scenes that people have requested. As those of you who have followed along with me know, the story has grown into a personal merge of both book and film that I like to refer to as the "Steffverse." I hope that you have enjoyed your journey into the Steffverse with Faramir and Eowyn.


Last but not least, many thanks to Raksha, Shield Maiden of Rohan (SMOR) and Linda Hoyland who have helped me, reviewed my drafts, and been patient with my little aberrations from canon. You folks rock!!

******************************************************************************


CHAPTER 23: The Steward, the Lady, and the King

Faramir placed both his hands on either side of his wife's head and kissed her brow. Then he whispered, "I love you, wild 'Wyn. I will never doubt you again. Now, tell me when you first knew you loved me."

Oblivious to the party guests surrounding them, Eowyn leaned in to her husband and said, "Don't you remember, 'Mir, when you returned to me from the Field of Cormallen with unexpected company?"

*****************************************

The sight before Eowyn's eyes gave her pause, although it did not completely surprise her. There behind the Steward's wide table sat two fine, strapping men in the prime of their lives. They did not mark her quiet entry. Both were preoccupied, turning to Peregrin Took behind them, who poured golden liquid from a large bottle into their glasses. The King of Rohan raised his glass and regarded the beverage curiously. He took a sip, and then clinked the glass appreciatively against the glass of the Steward of Gondor.

Eowyn's stomach had churned for two days straight. Her hands had sweated. Her nerves were constantly on end for fear of what might happen when her brother met her betrothed. And now, after 48 hours of non-stop fretting on her part, there they were, downing sparkling wine and carousing like a pair of long-time friends. What if they had sealed a fate for her different from the one she wanted--and without consulting her in the bargain? Eowyn's fingers gripped the edges of her sleeves, and her chin rose defiantly.

Then Eomer turned toward the door. His face was purple as a beet; his wiry eye brows rose over the familiar dark brown eyes. The new King of the Mark sat up at alert attention and regarded Eowyn in his usual, straight-forward fashion. "Sister," he said simply and lifted the glass of sparkling wine in her direction. Her first instinct was to leap to his side, to hug him and drink in the sight of him. But she would not move, not until she found out what they were up to.

And as for her betrothed? He rose, ever the well-mannered Gondorian, and greeted her graciously: "Welcome, my love." His magnificent blue eyes bore into hers. Her body automatically heated to the point where she feared that both these formidible men might see how badly she perspired under Faramir's inquiring gaze.

"My dearest lord," Eowyn's words were sweet but she took care that her expression only gave cool acknowledgement. Just why had Faramir returned with Eomer in tow?

Faramir moved to Eowyn's side and kissed her hand in formal greeting. He then offered her his arm and escorted her to the chair that Pippin placed between King and Steward. Merry joined them at Eomer's side, while Pippin deftly stepped aside to serve Faramir.

"I am a new king," Eomer began. Eowyn cringed. Her brother typically was very emotional, very direct, and very impatient with fools and sisters that he was about to dress down. Eowyn was not about to be made her brother's fool. Knowing Faramir, he probably figured out what Eomer was going to say before her brother fashioned the words."

"I know much of war and strategy and little of peace and government," Eomer continued reasonably. "Not like you, my sister. You learned governance at the side of Theoden King and later Grima Wormtongue, for whaever he was worth. Yet when I asked you to come to me, for the love that I bear you, and the help that I needed, you stayed here in this city, ignoring my pleas. Finally, when I needed you the most, I got a cold piece of parchment, announcing, in Westron legal terms yet, that you intended to marry a man I knew only by reputation." Eomer's thick eyebrows lifted into a scowl. Eowyn returned him a hard glare but did not respond.

"While my sister hides in Minas Tirith, her intended at least has the courage to meet me in person, with an impressive bribe that goes a long way in paying for the loss of such a valued sister. A sister who defies the wishes of her family and ignores the needs of her country At least her betrothed was sensitive to the bridal customs of the Mark--some of them, anway."

Eowyn loved Eomer but resented his insistence that he knew what was good for her, better than she did herself. She retorted, "Eomer, for the first time in my life I put my needs ahead of the Mark. I needed to heal, and then I needed to become a healer. While all this went on, I met the man I want to spend the rest of my life with. It is that simple. And what of you, my quiet lord Steward?" Eowyn turned to Faramir and tossed him the same peeved expression as she had Eomer. "Was it my brother's idea to come here, or did you persuade him?"

Faramir slowly turned and leaned over Eowyn. He took his time before speaking, a ploy Eowyn recognized from the many times she had seen him resolve conflicts in the Steward's Council. On his face was the opaque, negotiating expression that he maintained on such occasions, though she knew that Faramir was subtly assessing her brother's mood and, most likely hers, too, before speaking. He finally said:

"Eomer King is fond of Gondorian beer, so I brought him many casks in one of the wains, as part of your bride price. We've set up a beverage distribution between the Steward's distillery and the shops and taverns in Rohan. Eomer's merchants will then have the rights to ship the beer north to the mannish lands along the Anduin, and even to King Thranduil's halls, assuming that the wood elves have a taste for human beer."

"Excellent response!" Eomer slapped his fist on the heavy table and raised his empty glass. Merry quickly refilled it. Then her brother sank into his chair and said, "The Steward is too polite. In deference to you, he glosses over the highpoint of our conversation in my tent yesterday."

"And what might those words be?" Eowyn glared at Faramir.

"Pippin, a glass of sparkling wine for the Lady," Faramir smiled mildly. In just a few seconds, the glass was in Eowyn's hands. She was torn between the urge to kiss that evasive, bow-shaped mouth or to toss half the contents of her glass onto Faramir's expression-free face--saving the remaining wine for Eomer's obstinant mug, of course.

"Ah," said her brother. He leaned back, tugged at his beard for a moment, and then finally responded, "I asked him if you had had sex."

Eowyn slammed her full glass down and spilled wine over herself and Faramir.

"AS IS MY RIGHT TO ASK AS YOUR NEXT OF KIN," Eomer bellowed at her, "and your sovereign, I might add."

Refusing to speak, Eowyn took the napkins that Pippin handed her and wiped herself off. In the silence that followed, she picked up her glass and took a sip of the remaining contents. She wished the holbtyla weren't present. Merry probably could be discrete, but Pippin? He always meant well, but unless Faramir had trained him otherwise, Peregrin Took spoke without thinking rather too much. There was no getting around it now, she sighed.

"I TOLD HIM THAT OUT OF RESPECT FOR MY BETROTHED, I WOULD NOT DISCUSS SUCH MATTERS WITH HER BROTHER!" Faramir suddenly burst out and then abruptly sat back. His fingers tapped the side of his glass but he did not drink. Eowyn, however, had a sip of wine.

Eomer shook his head, slid an arm over Eowyn's shoulders, and, in a more moderate tone addressed Faramir: "My Lord Steward, you are forgiven for not knowing the common law of the Mark. For us, it is extremely important for their families to know if an unwedded couple has had sex prior to requesting marriage. If the couple has made love, then they must marry. That is our common law. It is my right as a brother to ask my sister this question, and as the King I have the right to demand the answer." *

Calm now, Faramir said, "So I told him yesterday that in Gondor the only time a man must legally respond to the question of sex with a woman not his wife is if the woman has accused him of rape or of not supporting their natural children. Right?"

"So you said," Eomer grumbled.

"Then I reminded him that though he might be King of Rohan, he stood in the heart of Gondor. And until the Coronation, the final arbiter of the law in this land is ME." Faramir emphasized. Eomer nodded gruffly.

"So I invited him to visit Minas Tirith in an unofficial capacity," Faramir continued,"so that he might ask you the question that I, out of deference to you, refused to answer."

To Eowyn's surprise, Eomer threw back his head and laughed resoundingly, "What a capitol fellow this Steward is, and so well-mannered, though he can swear as well as the most eloquent warrior of the Mark. I admit that you did well on choosing him, sister. I suspect he will go far in Aragorn's government."

But then Eomer glared at Eowyn, "So what is it, Sister mine, did you have sex with this man?"

Eowyn rose to her feet very slowly, turned to face her brother, and then turned to face Faramir. The words came from her mouth, so cold and so forceful that she almost did not recognize herself: "I did and I do not regret it for a minute. Thus, by the common laws of the Mark and by the Gondorian contract of betrothal, no one but Faramir or I can legally dissolve our engagement, Eomer King!"

"So be it," Eomer nodded, with a magnamity that Eowyn hadn't expected. "So be it. I approve the marriage as your brother and king. I confess that I had heard much about Faramir, Denethor's son, both from Gandalf and Erkenbrand who, like you seems to have fallen in love with Faramir. I am quite impressed by your choice, Eowyn. The Steward of Gondor is an ideal husband for you, a union of the great families of both our countries. And curiously, Imrahil's daughter insists that you are both in love, which is a rare thing indeed for a marriage between the nobility.** But are you pregnant, sister?"

"I am not pregnant!" Eowyn declared with a strong air of finality. She was ready to wring her brother's intrusive neck. She had had enough of this verbal sparing between the two men most dear to her. No longer caring what they thought, she said bluntly, "My menses have come. I presume you two are learned enough to know what that means?"

At the same time that Faramir said, "No baby," Eomer grumbled, "Bad mood. Not to be trifled with."

"I've had it with the two of you," Eowyn sighed. "When I first arrived, you acted like great friends, only to start arguing and manipulating the moment I came into the room. I am not a bad sister or a princess who has forgotten her country. We will marry in Rohan, with your leave, brother, and have the big ceremony with all the panoply that befits the Lady of Rohan. That is, if Faramir agrees?"

"I would have the ceremony in Rohan, in any fashion that you desire, my love. Weddings are women's work, after all. My only request is to have it done in a few months."

"Request denied!" Eomer scowled. "The Mark is a shambles. It needs reorganizing and a written code to record the common laws. I will do it, but I need my sister's help. When my country is set on the right foot, I will see you two married."

"That might not be for years," Eowyn quietly bristled.

"It doesn't have to take years," Faramir said. "I do not know exactly what Aragorn, son of Arathorn, plans for me. As a private citizen, I can help you. The House of Hurin amassed a huge fortune in real estate and goods, which have nothing to do with the treasury of Gondor. I'm happy to fund a hospital in my family's honor, in Edoras or another place of your choice. Plus I have some experience now with setting up a government. I could give you counsel."

"Brother, I agree to come to Edoras alone after the Coronation," Eowyn offered, "in return for living until that time in Minas Tirith wherever I please. Faramir and I can both help you rebuild Rohan, if you agree to hold our wedding a year after my return to the Mark."

"Done," Eomer finally relaxed. A slow, beaming smile spread over his lips.

"Then I will join Eowyn some months after her return to Rohan, depending on my responsibilities to the new Gondorian government," Faramir said, "just to make sure there is no reniging on the contract of betrothal."

"There won't be," Eomer extended his hand over Eowyn's body. Faramir reached out to shake it. Eowyn placed her right hand atop theirs.

"Well, I'm glad that's done, then," Pippin interrupted. "It's a bad moment when people you love don't agree. That's what we say in the Shire, of course."

"Oh Eomer, I am so glad to see you," Eowyn could restrain herself no longer. She reached for Eomer and wept as he cradled her in his arms.

"Sister mine," Eomer sniffed in return. Eowyn could feel his tough, stocky body shaking as though to keep from breaking down entirely. Her brother's voice choked with emotion as he said, "Why would you think I would deny your wedding with the Steward? I do not deny that you and Aragorn would have been a worthy match, but in the end, I am not the one who must live in that marriage. You would have been unhappy in the end, I fear."

He lifted Eowyn's chin and stared firmly into her eyes, "I watched you hand the cup to Aragorn on that day when we celebrated after the battle at the Hornburg. You looked at him with adoration, and he returned your gaze with affection. Many marriages are arranged where the couples have no such fondness for each other.

"But what I see right here between you and Faramir is a different story. I can't find fitting words to describe it. There seems an unspoken connection between you that anyone would envy. I would consider myself lucky indeed if I find such joy with whoever becomes my wife."

Through her tears, Eowyn vaguely heard Faramir beckon, "Come sit down, my good halflings, the formal part of this meeting is done. Have some sparkling wine and celebrate with us." She sat up slowly and grinned to see Faramir change from negotiating Steward to genial host, pouring wine for Merry and Pippin.

"I believe I know now what happened between us," Eomer said as he raised his glass to everyone at the table. "Eowyn avoided speaking to me about marriage. Faramir avoided asking me for Eowyn's hand. And that was because Aragorn avoided determining what to do for a wife and what to do about the Steward. he saved your lives, of course, but then avoided having to deal with you. It's all Aragorn's fault," he chuckled. "Problems of a new ruler."

"Speak for yourself, brother," Eowyn retorted. "You avoided coming to me after you had set up camp on the Field of Cormallen. You could have left one of the Marshals in charge. You could have taken a boat down the Anduin...."

"In that case, we are all guilty of avoidance," Faramir laughed. "And now, by your leave, Eomer king, can I have my betrothed? There is something I would tell her."

"I am not a package to be bandied about," Eowyn huffed as Eomer slid her over to Faramir. Nevertheless, she did not struggle when Faramir lifted her slightly onto his lap. He lowered his lips to her ear, but the volume of his speech was far louder than a lover's murmur, "I met with Aragorn."

Eowyn stiffened. "And?" her voice was barely above a murmur.

"He congratulated us and asked about your health. Then we worked on plans for the Coronation," Faramir said and then kissed her cheek.

"Aragorn signed the beer distribution drawn up by Faramir and myself," Eomer chimed in. "Just to make sure that it carries over into his reign. Yes, I showed up sometime after the King met the Steward. Aragorn needed to know that in the end, I was quite pleased about your upcoming marriage. "

"Guardsman, another bottle, this time of mead!" Faramir yelled out. Eowyn felt his body sigh and then relax beneath hers.

And so the five of them continued in a celebratory mood long past time for the evening meal.

*******************************************************

"It was when you got angry and refused to tell Eomer if we had made love!" Eowyn laughed. The heads of several female guests turned toward them and then quickly turned away. "Who could not love someone who would stand up to her brother?"

"Really!" Faramir chuckled. Then he chuckled again. "You realized that you loved me because I had strength of will to not be intimidated by your brother. And therefore not by you."

"That's not what I mean."

"It certainly is."

"You're trying to read my mind again."

"I don't have to now. Come, my love," Faramir gave her his arm, which she took gracefully, and they led the party guests into the Great Hall of the White Tower.

*************************************

AUTHOR'S NOTE

* Several chapters in Avoidance mention that in the Mark unmarried couples who have sex are by law required to marry, especially if the woman is pregnant. The strictness of the law is to prevent unwanted pregnancy and indisriminate sex between the young 'uns. But the law can also be used to force unwilling families to let their willing children marry. This is absolutely my invention and has nothing to do with Book or Movie canon.

** In my story "Family Matters," which is archived on this site, Eomer meets Lothiriel when Imrahil delivers Faramir's contract of betrothal to Aragorn.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List