Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi  by fan81981

Chapter 31 – Escort

 

Legolas halted the company just inside the Woodland Realm’s borders. The sun was sinking and soon it would be dark. They would camp here tonight and separate in the morning. The Company immediately dismounted and took strategic positions around Legolas and his friends.

 

Rhinure looked at her Spymaster, Eruannë, who shook her head, indicating that the area was secure. Then, and only then did Rhinure order the Avari to dismount. If Legolas noticed this hesitation, he did not comment on it.

 

He was still fuming at Rhinure’s insensitivity – her arrogance in planning this “ambush”. She had not only humiliated him in front of his men and his friends, she had deliberately driven the point home that there was no trust between the Prince and Princess.

 

*~ A simple exercise, my Lord. I wished to see how well your scouts would perform. They did not do particularly well. ~*

 

So much scorn in those words, Legolas could still hear them ring in his ears. What had she hoped to achieve with this exercise? Prove the incompetence of his men? Show that the Avari were better than they were? All she had succeeded in doing was widening the gap between the two races – and between herself and Legolas.

 

Legolas threw down his sleeping roll on the ground, unrolling it with his foot. He glanced at the Avari; it was hard to make them out against the dark trees. They avoided the fire built in the centre, preferring to keep to the edges of the group. He could not make Rhinure out in this sea of black. Where was she?

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“Are you sure about them?”

 

“Yes.”

 

They did not perform well, Mistress.”

 

“They did not expect the attack. Who would expect Elves, especially the Princess’ people, to attack?”

 

“Mistress, that is no excuse. The Lost Ones will not cheerfully announce their presence. These elves are too used to fighting an obvious evil – black and white. Can they fight the grey as well?” Eruannë looked at the Wood-elves sitting around the fire.

 

“I believe so, Spymaster. They will adapt. They have done so before and will do so again. They have fought the shadow for a long time, they are good warriors.” Rhinure was confident about this. She was confident in her husband’s people, she had to be if she was going to fight the doubt and mistrust of the entire Clan. She would save the Avari from all dangers – even themselves if she had to.

 

“They will never trust us,” Eruannë said quietly, observing the stiff gait of the Wood-elves, the suspicious looks that they turned on the Avari.

 

“As long as they fight with us, their trust is of no concern to me. They are free to feel what they wish. It is their right,” Rhinure turned to look at Legolas. He was angry, she could feel it even from this distance. She hoped she had not made a mistake, she knew that Legolas was upset at what he thought was a humiliation. But it was the only way she knew to shake up the Elves. They needed to be on their guard more than ever. With Sauron gone, they were so close to victory. It was so easy to become complacent and Rhinure could not let that happen. She could not, she would not.

 

And if the forfeit she had to pay was her husband’s goodwill, then so be it.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

^Still fuming are we?^ Gimli asked, looking down at the frowning form of his Elven friend.

 

Legolas did not bother getting up from his pallet, ^Yes, I am. Do you have a problem with that?^

 

^Not really Elf, fuming is good for one – that is if one knows the reason one is angry.^

 

^I know why I am angry.^

 

^Would you tell me because I do not understand?^

 

^How can you say that Gimli? Did you not see the way she treated me?^

 

^I saw the way she showed you up. Or more precisely, revealed your complacency.^

 

^Complacency! That is unfair.^

 

^Yes Elf, very unfair. I know you did not expect your allies to attack you but it does not change the fact that you were ambushed. If she had been the enemy we would have been dead by now.^

 

Now Legolas did get up, cheeks flaming, ^I cannot treat my wife’s people as the enemy!^ Before Gimli could say another word, Legolas, ^But maybe I should. Either way, we will be more alert from now on. If you do not mind, I will go see my wife now. I think there are some things we need to speak about.^

 

Legolas walked off towards the Avari, aware that all eyes were on him.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Rhinure watched as Legolas left the comfort of the Silvan fire and came towards the Avari gathering. Though the night was cold the Avari had built no fire, preferring to remain in the dark where their enemies could not see them. Their cloaks were enough to ward off any chill and Avari stubbornness took care of the rest.

 

It also meant that Legolas has no idea where Rhinure was. He stopped near the closest Avari and asked if he, or she, knew where the Sacrifice was. The Elf looked at the prince, not saying a word. And he would not no matter how much Legolas asked. If the Sacrifice wanted to talk to this Prince then she would do it herself, he was not about to tell Legolas where to find her. It would be an intrusion.

 

Rhinure rose before Legolas took could take offence at the Avari’s reticence. “My lord, I am here.”

 

Legolas turned at the sound of the familiar voice. A black figure, indistinguishable from the rest was standing a little to his right. How did these Avari tell each other apart? Then the figure started to walk towards him, and even through the cloak, Legolas thought he recognised the way the hips moved, the way they swayed. Yes, this was Rhinure.

 

When the figure reached him, he reached up and pushed the hood down, revealing Rhinure’s face. If she was surprised at his sudden action, she did not show it. Anyway, Legolas did not really care; he needed to see her face.

 

“My lady, a moment of your time.”

 

Rhinure left the Avari circle, to follow Legolas towards the light. They stopped midway between the two parties, allowing both an equal opportunity to listen in. And most were.

 

“My lady, if you would be so kind as to explain the morning’s incident.”

 

“I believe I already did. It was a test of your scouts.”

 

“An ill-advised one.”

 

Rhinure titled her head, and her eyes turned challenging, “Really, my Lord? How did you come to that conclusion?”

 

“It has created more mistrust between two races which should be working together.”

 

“The Avari are still willing to work with the Woodland Elves.”

 

“Does it not matter to you, my Lady, how my Company feels?” Legolas asked, voice falling even further. His eyes were taking a now recurring angry shade.

 

“No, my Lord. It does not matter how your Company feels. All that counts it how the perform. And they did not do well enough. They need to be more alert, even you must admit that.”

 

“Yes I do. But there are other, more gentle ways of proving your point.”

 

“My lord,” Rhinure’s voice was cold now, “Your enemies will not be gentle with you.”

 

Legolas leaned in, pinning Rhinure with his blue eyes, “My Lady, you are not our enemy.”

 

Both rulers stared at each other, black staring into blue, neither giving an inch. Neither was willing to back down or admit that both might be equally wrong. The Avari had shown that the Mirkwood Elves were not as safe as they believed. However, the anger and resentment their actions caused was not helpful.

 

Finally, Rhinure spoke trying to explain, “My Lord, I am Avari – this is the only way I know how. I did what I thought best for us – and for you.”

 

Legolas gaze softened and he smiled, figuring this was the closet thing he would get as an apology form Rhinure. “My Lady, if you had concerns about my Company you could have come talked to me.”

 

“My Lord, this morning you were not willing to let me accompany you. How much credence would you have given me if I had criticised your Company?”

 

Legolas had to admit that Rhinure had a point, he would have dismissed her censure as he did her own ability. It was one thing to admire her skills with the bow but completely different to admit that she might be capable enough to lead in battle. Rhinure watched Legolas’ face but did not say anything.

 

*~You still do not understand who I am. I am the Sacrifice. I do all this because I believe it to be the best course of action. You still do not see me as an equal. I am still just another elleth to you. ~*

 

“My lord, humiliation may not be a nice teacher but it is an effective one. Look at your elves now - they are more alert, more cautious.”

 

Legolas had to admit that this was true; his Company was watching the trees with more determination than he had seen in a while. Though he did not like what Rhinure had done, he had to acknowledge that it had worked.

 

*~ I just wish that you did not feel that you have to trick me, coerce me to make your point. ~*

 

“Will that be all, my Lord?”

 

Legolas nodded, still keeping her eyes on her face. Rhinure lifted her hood back into place, becoming Avari. Legolas watched her walk back to her people, eyes never leaving her figure until the shadows swallowed her.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

The first day passed without incident, unless one counted the tension between the Avari and the Wood-elves. The last morning came and with it the time for the final parting. Legolas clasped both his friends tightly and promised that he would come to visit as soon as time permitted. None commented on the fact that time flowed differently for the Firstborn.

 

^I will see you again, my friends,^ Legolas promised, giving his solemn word.

 

^We believe you,^ Faramir smiled, while Gimli tried to steady his mount. ^And maybe by that time Gimli will have learnt to control his horse.^

 

^It is not my fault. Legolas gave me a defective horse.^

 

^I will have you know, Master Dwarf, that that defective horse has one of the finest bloodlines that Mirkwood has to offer,^ Legolas said mischievously.

 

^Remind me to send my condolences to King Thranduil.^

 

At this point, Gimli’s steed had had enough of these insults. Without a toss of his head, he starting walking towards his master’s home, ignoring Gimli’s protests.

 

Legolas and Faramir burst out laughing. ^I guess this is goodbye, your highness.^

 

^Only for now, my Lord.^

 

Faramir turned to Rhinure who has been watching this from the side, “It was a pleasure meeting you, my Lady.”

 

Rhinure bowed her head, “The escort will make sure you get home safely, Lord Faramir. I keep Morion by my side this time. Eruannë will be taking his place, if you have no objections.”

 

“None, my Lady.”

 

Rhinure signalled Eruannë to take her place, “Inko sehe salaamat wapis bauchana.” (Get them home safely.)

 

Jee, Malkin.”            (Yes, Mistress.)

 

Aur apni ankhein kholi rakha, mujhe in insano ke barey may jitnee maloomat ho sake chahein hai.”     (And keep your eyes open, I want to know as much as possible about these humans.)

 

Eruannë saluted her Sacrifice and gave the signal to move out.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Legolas watched as Faramir and Gimli disappeared in the trees.

 

“Come little one, we need to be getting home,” Herenion’s gentle voice brought Legolas back. He turned around to notice that Rhinure had left him as well. He smiled at his bodyguard and turned his horse towards home.

 

The next few hours were spent in silence. Legolas already missed his friends but he kept his eyes on the trees. He had been disgraced once, he was not about to let that happen again. He was proud to note that every Silvan Elf was watching the trees closely. The Avari, well they were being Avari – hood ups, backs straight. It was difficult to know if they were watching anything, let alone the trees. However, Legolas was confident that they were prepared for any surprise.

 

Which just goes to show that one cannot be prepared for everything.

 

Legolas knew that something was wrong, he could feel it. As he peered in the trees, he thought he caught movement. He signalled his company to be on alert. Trouble was coming.

 

Suddenly, a dark figure crashed through the trees, cradled in the arms of a Silvan scout. Legolas watched in horrified fascination as the horse came to a halt. The two Elves swayed, and the Avari pitched forward. It was then Legolas realised that their was a knife imbedded in the Avari’s back – an Orc knife.

 

They were under attack.

 

Legolas immediately had an arrow nocked, “Guard, to me. We are under attack!” He let the arrow fly, unerringly catching the first orc who broke through from the trees. He had his second arrow away before any of the Elves could string their bows.

 

Legolas quickly scanned the area, the terrain offered no advantage to the Elves, the trees would make it difficult for the archers to see their targets clearly. This was going to be a close battle, requiring knives very soon.

 

He also noticed that many of the Avari were missing. As he fired arrow upon arrow, taking another orc down with it, he wondered where they had disappeared. An orc jumped joined from the tree, screaming in its rage. It did not hit the ground alive; Legolas’ arrow caught it in the mouth.

 

The orcs were many in number, too many – how had they managed to get so close to the borders? It did not bode well for Mirkwood. The elves were being pushed back, slowly but they were being forced to retreat nevertheless.

 

A horrible scream made Legolas turn, just in time to see an Avari plunge his dagger in an Orcs back. Before anyone could react the Avari caught another orc in the throat, then casually melted into the shadows when the orcs turned attention towards this new threat.

 

It was only then did Legolas realise what the Avari were doing. They were using the trees, weaving in and out of the shadows to kill the enemy. One Avari would kill an orc drawing the attention to himself. As soon as the Orc turned their backs to the shadow other Avari would fall on them, slitting throats, digging blades into unprotected backs. They were assassins – fighting on their home turf. They were not fighting the orcs, they were butchering them. Legolas turned back to the battle, confident that the Avari would be able to handle themselves. He had seen such a fighting style before, he had taught them to others on enough occasions to know their efficacy.

 

Legolas was running out of arrows, and the Orcs were getting closer. He saw Herenion draw his blades, getting ready to fight on foot. Legolas jumped down from his horse, giving himself room to manoeuvre. He grimly withdrew his blades – it was time to dance with death.

 

A small group of orcs broke through at Legolas’ left and Faelon stepped forward to meet them. More orcs poured through that little opening, smelling a weakness in the Elven defence. Legolas stepped forward to help his lieutenant, blades flashing in the morning light.

 

Orcs fell under his onslaught, but more took their place. They were pushing the Elves back – Legolas did not know how long they could last like this.

 

Legolas winced in pain as an Orc blade sliced through his arm. The orc howled in delight to smell blood – Elven blood, sweet blood. Legolas brought his other arm to catch the orc in the throat cutting off the hellish sound. Only then did he look up to see dark figures come behind the Orcs. And one of them was Rhinure, he was sure of it.

 

He watched in fascination as Rhinure sliced and killed the orcs around her. She was light on her feet and her movements economical. It was like watching poetry in motion, but a dark poem. Rhinure whirled around to gut the orc behind her – innards spilling to the ground.

 

The sharp movement caused her hood to move back and Legolas could now see her face. It was so cold that Legolas felt himself freeze. This was not battle, this was vengeance. Rhinure was enjoying this – there was a sense of rightness in her movements. This was what she was good at, this was what she was built for – death, killing, battle.

 

Watching her, Legolas realised what it meant to watch Death in her element. Never had Rhinure looked so comfortable than with a weapon in her hands, not even at their wedding. Legolas watched with rising nausea as her blades were knocked out of her hands. That did not stop her for a second, she ducked under a blade, hands coming up to snap the orcs neck. She then picked up the orc blade and continued killing.

 

This was the elleth he had married – that thought ripped into him like nothing ever had. This is the elleth he had wanted to make love to, this elleth covered in blood and gore with delight dancing in her eyes.

 

Rhinure hacked off an orcs head and looked up, meeting Legolas’ stunned blue eyes. Her eyes were lifeless. She was Avari, the Sacrifice – this is what she did. She brought death with her, and only know did Legolas fully understand that. Those eyes, which had looked at him with such passion now burned with the desire to kill – blood lust.

 

Legolas felt ill, but he forced himself to move, kill, to numb himself to the disgust that boiled in him. His movements were swift and deadly, brining down orc after orc, but even with all the death around him, all the existed was Rhinure’s unfeeling eyes.

 

Once again, their eyes met over the battle, cold black and revolted blue. For the smallest of moments, Rhinure forgot to move. It was as if time had suddenly ended, all she could see was Legolas looking at her with utter disgust in his face – she did not see the orc coming behind her.

 

Legolas quickly threw a dagger over her head, catching the orc right between the eyes. Rhinure’s eyes widened, Legolas’ actions had left him open – he did not see the orc coming behind him, unnoticed. He would not see it in time.

 

“Morion,” she screamed, causing the Guard to turn around. He immediately saw what was happening and leapt forward.

 

There was no time for him or Legolas to do anything, no time to defend. All Morion could do was take the blade that was meant for Legolas.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Legolas turned and saw Morion fall to the ground, impaled by an orc sword. He drove his remaining knife in the now unarmed orc’s throat, bringing death immediately.

 

It was as if the Second Guard’s falling brought a temporary lull in the battle. Legolas bent down to check Morion’s injuries – they were severe. He needed to be treated immediately, or he would not survive.

 

“Move away from him.” Legolas looked up to see Rhinure standing over him, eyes colder than ever before.

 

All the Elves were looking at the Prince and Rhinure. For now, no more orcs appeared.

 

Rhinure crouched next to Morion. “Mistress.”

 

“I am here, Second Guard.”

 

“I am not going to make it, Mistress.”

 

“Yes, you will.”

 

“Mistress, I am not. Do it.”

 

“No.”

 

“You promised.”

 

“I will not.”

 

“You must.” Morion thrust his Blade into Rhinure’s hand. “You said you would, you gave me your vow.”

 

Chachu …               (Uncle)

 

“Mistress,” Morion gasped in pain, as his blood seeped into the leaves, staining them red. “You gave me your vow.”

 

“We can still move you.”

 

“Mistress,” Rhinure turned around to see Ehtewen, “More Orcs are coming, they will be here soon. We must leave – NOW.”

 

Rhinure nodded, taking the Blade in her hands. Her voice was completely flat, “As I have vowed.”

 

With that, she drove Morion’s blade into his heart, her eyes never leaving his.

 

As the cold metal cut his heart bathing it with his blood, Morion sighed, his Blade would remember – he would be remembered. “Shukarya.

 

Rhinure rose, still holding the dripping sword. Without wiping the blood off, she drove the sword home into its scabbard and slung it over her shoulders.

 

“Move out.” Her voice was emotionless.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

A/N: Rhinure means “Cold Flame” – I think. Just assume it does.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List