Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

ET's Dribs and Drabbles  by Elena Tiriel


Renewal


In flame was I wrought; by flame renewed:

Fired. Red-hot coals purify my flesh, burning away traces of tainted blood.

Beaten. Heavy hammer-strokes meld my broken bones.

Folded. My spine stiffens, fusing strength upon strength.

Again and again do I suffer this handling, until...

Quenched. I hiss at the shocking chill, tightening my sinews.

Polished. Runes of protection adorn my burnished skin.

Sharpened. Keen is my bite.

By my maker's skill am I hardened on the outside, flexible within — reflecting the radiance of Anar, the resilience of Isil.

After an Age of shame, I am once more fit to serve.



Anar and Isil are the Quenya names for the Sun and the Moon; the name of Elendil's sword, Narsil, is a combination of the roots of these two words.

Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

The Fellowship of the Ring, LoTR Book 1, Ch 10, Strider

The Sword of Elendil was forged anew by Elvish smiths, and on its blade was traced a device of seven stars set between the crescent Moon and the rayed Sun, and about them was written many runes; for Aragorn son of Arathorn was going to war upon the marches of Mordor. Very bright was that sword when it was made whole again; the light of the sun shone redly in it, and the light of the moon shone cold, and its edge was hard and keen. And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Andúril, Flame of the West.

The Fellowship of the Ring, LoTR Book 2, Ch 3, The Ring Goes South

But before all went Aragorn with the Flame of the West, Andúril like a new fire kindled, Narsil re-forged as deadly as of old....

The Return of the King, LoTR Book 5, Ch 6, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

[Galadriel] gave [Aragorn] a sheath that had been made to fit his sword....

'The blade that is drawn from this sheath shall not be stained or broken even in defeat,' she said.

The Fellowship of the Ring, LoTR Book 2, Ch 8, Farewell to Lórien

'The light of Andúril must now be uncovered in the battle for which it has so long waited. There is war in Rohan....'

The Two Towers, LoTR Book 3, Ch 5, The White Rider

I have recently become fascinated by the process of Japanese sword-making. Though that process differs from making a straight sword, I derived much inspiration for this drabble from step-by-step pictures of a true master making a samurai sword here. (The Japanese sword visual glossary is also a helpful reference.)

For Imhiriel's birthday, January 2008.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List