Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Road to Edoras  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 10

After a moment, Targon turned. “Master Fredegar, Lord Éothain, if you please?”

Freddy and Éothain rode up to join Targon.

“I think that this is something that does indeed bear investigating. Éothain, if you would not mind leading the rest of the company on from here, I will go aside with you, Master Fredegar, and perhaps another of the hobbits, and we shall see what we may discover about this unfortunate discovery. We shall met with the rest of the party again in Tharbad.”

Freddy nodded solemnly. This was unexpected and unsettling. “I think that I shall take Mosco with me, and leave Berilac in charge of the hobbit embassy.”

Éothain also agreed to the plan, and they went to present it to the rest of the company.

“I will accompany you as well,” said Mistress Poppy. “As a healer, I should be able to determine something about the cause of death. It is possible that it may have been an accident of some kind--I think I would be able to tell.”

Targon agreed to the sense of this. Legolas and Gimli also wished to accompany them. So the six of them turned aside from the main body of the company, and followed Eradan.

As they rode off, Viola looked anxiously after her mistress. She felt uncomfortable being left on her own this way, but she was glad she needn’t go to view the body. It was not squeamishness, exactly--after all, she was used to gruesomeness as an apprentice healer, and had seen her share of dead bodies. It was, instead, the awful idea of *murder*. That was simply something hobbits were not equipped to deal with.

Beri rode up to her. “Are you all right, Viola?”

She blinked and looked at him gratefully. “Yes; I just hope my mistress will be all right.”

Beri nodded. “I am sure she will. If you don’t mind my saying it, and I mean it in the nicest way possible, but Mistress Poppy seems like a tough old bird.”

Viola giggled. “In the nicest way possible?”

“Well, I do mean it as a compliment!” He grinned. “Face it, there are very few hobbitesses of her age and station who would even have considered coming away from the Shire like this. I do not think there is very much at all that would daunt *her*.”

The apprentice laughed. “I have never seen anything daunt her yet.”

“There,” said Beri, “you see?”

“Thank you, Beri. I do feel much better.”

“You are most welcome, Viola.” He gave her one of those lopsided Brandybuck grins that reminded her a good deal of his cousin Merry. He was not nearly so imposing as his cousin, but she thought he was every bit as nice-looking…

Just then Éothain gave a call, and the group moved out once more, a smaller company for now, by six.

__________________________________________________

Eradan led them off the road and onto a little used path. He had only come up the road so as to meet their party, for he wanted to make sure that he would not miss them. But it would be far quicker to strike across country and get back to where Mellor awaited them.

For awhile, they had to ride single file, as the path wound its way among some brush and copses of trees, but the country soon opened out into a more or less exposed area, and they were able to ride abreast again.

Targon rode up alongside Eradan. “If you do not mind my saying so, Eradan, your accents are not those of the North. In fact, I would daresay you are as Gondorian as I am.”

“You are correct, Captain Targon. I am from Gondor, from the White City originally, in point of fact. I was a Ranger in Ithilien, in Prince Faramir’s own company. When volunteers were called for, to go North and help keep watch over the land of the Ringbearer until the depleted ranks of the Northern Dúnadain would once again be filled out enough to properly undertake the duty, I was eager to come.”

Freddy had come up alongside as well, and he now asked “What made you so eager to come and help guard the Shire?”

Eradan looked down at the earnest young hobbit on his sturdy pony, and smiled. “As I said, I was of Captain Faramir’s company in Ithilien. We actually saw the Ringbearer while he was on the Quest, and his companion Samwise. In fact, our Company *captured* him.”

Mosco, riding just behind, with Legolas, Gimli and Mistress Poppy, perked up his ears. Perhaps this would be an opportunity to hear more of what Frodo and Sam had done while they were gone.

Freddy’s eyebrows rose. Merry had told him a good deal, but this was new to him. “Captured him?”

“Yes, we had orders from the Steward to capture any who were found wandering in the land without his leave.” Eradan looked a bit uncomfortable, but he thought he might as well tell it all. “Their lives should have been forfeit for their trespass. I was not among those who actually took them, I was back at our headquarters in Henneth Annûn, but I saw them as they were brought in, bound and blindfolded. All of us were amazed at them, and had no idea what they were. We thought halflings--hobbits--a mere myth. I am not sure what we thought they actually were.” He stopped speaking for a moment, as they navigated a particularly stony bit of path.

“I am sure we expected that after being interrogated, they would be slain, as the Lord Denethor had ordered. Yet Faramir spoke with them for a long time, and I for one, observing them, did not think they were spies of the Enemy. In fact, I found myself feeling sorry for them, for I began to like what I was seeing. They were so trusting and open, and courteous. I truly felt badly that their lives would be forfeit.” He stopped briefly and looked about, and then took a slight turn to the left.

"Still, my captain treated them as guests and gave them at least as comfortable a bed as we knew ourselves. I, along with three of my comrades, was on watch at the Forbidden Pool. While there, a strange creature, small and dark, came. We sent word to my Lord Faramir. He came forth, observing, and set archers to watch. Then he wakened the Ringbearer (though we knew not that it was he). It was with his coaxing that we were able to lay hands on the creature, and we were not gentle. It shrieked and cursed and writhed with a strength that was surprising. It took three of us to hold him, and he bit my friend Beren on the shield-arm so hard that it tore the flesh and drew blood.” He shook his head at the memory. “We knew not what it was then, but of course it was the creature Gollum, a tricky and treacherous thing, cunning and cruel, but quite insane to judge from its rantings.”

He paused briefly, as if remembering, and then continued his tale. “Imagine our shock the next day, when Captain Faramir released all three of them; not only released them, but provided them with some provisions, and gave Lord Frodo leave of the land for a year and a day, him and any who traveled with him.”

They began to pick their way along a stony trail that led towards a copse of trees. “In the days after that, we speculated about these strange travellers, and what they might mean. I must confess we were all quite wide of the mark. Most of us believed they had come on the orders of Lord Denethor, on a secret errand, and with secret orders for our captain. We could not begin to imagine why else he would have flouted the order to execute any trespassers, for though he might feel sorrow and pity, he certainly had always followed his duty. Yet it turned out that we were wrong all around. And well for us that our captain did *not* follow his orders that time, for it would have spelled disaster for all of Middle-earth, and we would now all be in the Dark Lord’s thrall.”

“I think that our Lord Faramir has a wisdom beyond that of most men,” said Targon, “and perhaps a sort of foresight was upon him. That is something that comes to him, it is said, from time to time. He is not of the lineage of the King, but he is nevertheless a true son of Númenor.”

“Aye, that he is,” said Eradan. “The next time I saw the Ringbearer was as I stood with rank upon rank, on the field of Cormallen.” Tears sprang to his eyes. “I shall never forget that as long as I live, the sight of those two brave, small persons--still clothed in the rags in which they had been clad when they were saved from the destruction of the Black Land. When I had seen them before, it was clear they had journeyed through many sorrows and hardships, but on that day, seeing their emaciated forms, the bruises and cuts barely healed--what they went through to carry out their purpose--my heart was fairly wrung with admiration and pity.”

Targon nodded solemnly. He had not the good fortune to be among those who had battled before the Black Gate, and were there to welcome the Ringbearers with praise, for he had been among those whose lot was to defend the City when the worst had come to pass. That the worst never came was solely due to Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee. He said so.

Mosco listened in amazement. It was clear there was a good deal he had yet to learn, but this was more than he had known before.

Eradan stopped briefly once more, and again, the path bore just slightly more to the left. “At any rate, after the King had returned, and Captain Faramir was Steward of the City, and Prince of Ithilien, he called for some who had been Rangers there to volunteer to come North, to fill out the ranks of the lost Rangers here, and to guard the land of the Shire. Only those who had families to take care of did not volunteer. Lest he strip Ithilien of its own defenses, he chose our number by lot. I was lucky enough to be one of those who could go. I am very glad that I did. I have been privileged to meet more hobbits--even the Ringbearer’s cousins, Sir Peregrin and Sir Meriadoc, and my partner, Mellor, is by way of becoming a very dear friend.”

He halted and held up a hand. “Listen. That is the sound of the streamlet near which we made our discovery. We shall follow its course until nightfall. Then in the morning it should only be a couple of hours until we come to where Mellor awaits us with our sad discovery.”

________________________________________________________

They made a small campfire, and got out their bedrolls, all except Legolas, who said he was going for a stroll.

Gimli watched him go. “He’ll probably spend the night in the nearest tree looking at the stars,” he chuckled.

They did not try to cook, except for Mistress Poppy making some tea, but instead ate cold trail rations. As they chewed the leathery strips of meat, Freddy caught Mosco’s eye, and they both shook their heads ruefully. Mistress Poppy grumbled that this was unhealthy, and that a body could not survive forever on such a diet.

“We are not meant to survive on it forever, Mistress,” said Targon, chuckling. “Just for tonight, and in the morning--”

“And doubtless on our way back to meet the others, and whenever it rains, and whenever we run out of anything else to make. No, I am sure it is not forever.” But her tone was wry, and she was only half-serious in her complaints. After a while, the three hobbits, Gimli and Eradan settled in to sleep, while Targon took the first watch.

The next morning they rose early with the first light, and taking their meal as they rode, made their way down the stream, which was indeed rushing very fast and was swollen with the recent rains. Freddy was happy to learn that the other Ranger awaited them on *this* side of the stream and that they would not be obliged to ford it.

The Sun was well up when they approached the place where Mellor awaited. Eradan gave a whistle like a thrush, and got another in response. They came around a curve, and saw there another Man, older, a bit more grizzled and shabby than Eradan, sitting by a small campfire, leaning back against a rock, his long legs stretched before him. He had apparently been whittling. He put down the knife and small piece of wood and rose to greet them.

“Well met, Eradan!” he said. “I am glad that you have returned safely and swiftly.”

Eradan dismounted, and the others did the same. “Mellor, these are Targon, son of Cirion, and Captain of the envoys sent to the Shire; Prince Legolas Thranduilion and Gimli son of Gloín, of the Nine Walkers. And Master Fredegar Bolger and Master Mosco Burrows, ambassadors from the Shire, and close kin to the Ringbearer. And this is Mistress Poppy Burrows, a Healer from the Shire. Everyone, this is my partner, Mellor son of Meneldil.”

There were of course the usual courtesies, and then Mellor said, “I suppose that we should see to the errand that brought you here. Follow me.”

He led them a short way down the stream, where it cut through a shallow gully. There a number of small boulders had slid down and partially blocked the stream, causing it to flow around the other side. If the boulders remained, the stream would eventually cut itself a new watercourse there. But where the rocks had fallen away lay a blanket, obviously covering something.

Freddy and Mosco took deep breaths, steeling themselves for the unpleasant task of seeing this body. Mistress Poppy walked over to the blanket briskly. “Well, let us see.”

Mellor somberly pulled the blanket away, and the hobbits, even Mistress Poppy gasped in horror. The body was mostly decayed away, but it was clear that the skeleton had been subjected to violence. Still enough of the garments were left to be able to tell that this was definitely a Shire hobbit.

Freddy had no doubt whatsoever, nor did Mosco, that they were looking at the remains of Ted Sandyman.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List