Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Against All Odds  by Estelle

Chapter 17 – Unexpected Discoveries

The floorboard creaked loudly as they stepped past the threshold. The air inside the old house was stale and musty. A thin layer of dust covered the floor and furniture, an indication that the house had been unoccupied for quite some time. However, the condition did not give the impression that it had been abandoned since Baran’s death. It looked like someone had been staying there until several months ago, for the house seemed tidy and ordered.

Moving into the kitchen and over to the dining table, Aragorn ran a finger over the surface, drawing a line in the dust. It was on this table that he had knocked over the glass of milk accidentally and earned his first beating. The young man closed his eyes briefly, and when he opened them again, his gaze traveled to a tall cupboard standing in a corner. A few quick strides brought him over to the cabinet, and he saw that one of the glass panes on the door was missing.

“Looks like they neglected to replace it…” the young ranger muttered to himself.

Rows of books sat neatly on the shelves, and one particular title caught his attention. Pulling the doors to the cupboard open, he ran his fingers across the spine of the books and stopped at one with the title ‘Portal to Wisdom’. Aragorn hooked his fingers on top of the book and tried to pull it out, but it wouldn’t budge. Tugging at it a little harder, he dislodged the book and slid it out on its base. Suddenly, the shelves rattled, and the cabinet shifted slowly to the left, exposing a hidden compartment almost as tall and wide as the cupboard itself. Inside the compartment, the shelves were lined with bottles of various colors, shape, and sizes. Unfortunately, none of them were labeled.

“I think we found their stock of merchandise,” Erestor said from beside Aragorn, handing him a small pouch.

“I only hope one of them can help Legolas,” Aragorn said as he picked up the bottles hurriedly and placed them carefully into the bag. After collecting everything, he pushed the book back into place, and the cupboard slid back to its original position. “We should check the garden for any suspicious plants,” the man said, after shouldering the pack.

“Lead the way,” Erestor replied and followed as Aragorn found the exit to the backyard.

Weeds covered the small garden, but what caught the elf’s and man’s attention was a small patch of ground that was devoid of any weeds. Several tall plants, which Aragorn had never seen before, grew in abundance. Bending over, the ranger wrapped his hand with his cloak and uprooted the smallest plant, stuffing it into his pack.

“This may be what we need. I’ve never seen any plant like that before.”

“And the fact that no other plant-life grows beside them tells us that they may be poisonous,” Erestor added.

Aragorn nodded in agreement and surveyed the remaining plants, but none of them looked unfamiliar. Mentally noting the names of all the plants in the garden, Aragorn turned to his left, and his eyes fell upon an old axe and some logs. Without warning, a vision of the past hit him like a boulder, crushing all the air out of him. An apparition of Baran materialized out of thin air and took shape in front of his eyes. He could hear the man's voice clearly, as if Baran were actually there… towering over him.

# “Why is there no wood chopped?”

“I- I can't do it...”

“What do you mean you 'can't'?”

"My hand is hurt... I cannot lift the axe... it is too heavy.”

“Do you mean this hand?” Baran growled and reach out, grabbing Estel's right hand and squeezing the small hand in his much larger one. The small boy howled in pain as Baran twisted his wrist.

“Get inside, you worthless thing!” Baran said as he shoved Estel towards the door. #

The strangled cry that rose from Aragorn’s throat alerted Erestor that the man was once again been assaulted by memories from the past. Stepping over to the human quickly, he was able to steady Aragorn when he staggered backwards, almost loosing his balance.

“Easy, Estel...” the tall elf soothed as he supported the wavering human by wrapping his arms around the man's shoulder and guiding him towards a stool beside a small stone table. “Sit down.” Erestor pushed the ranger down upon the seat and brushed a lock of his wavy brown hair out of his face tenderly.

Aragorn took in several shaky breaths to recompose himself, before apologizing softly to the advisor. “Seems like I’m more trouble than help,” the young man laughed bitterly, his head still hanging and his eyes fixed on a spot on the ground.

“Do not say that, Estel, it was not your fault.” The dark haired elf placed his fingers under Aragorn’s chin and tilted his head upwards until they were looking into each other’s eyes. “Let go. Do not let the past haunt you any longer. I know it is difficult, but you have to try. Baran is dead. He can no longer hurt you.”

“I will not let the memories haunt me anymore.” Aragorn repeated Erestor’s words with determination, as his eyes shone with unshed tears. “He cannot hurt me.”

“Good. Now, let’s go home and let your father work his miracle with the things that we’ve discovered.”

Aragorn looked up into the sky and squinted at the bright afternoon sun. “I hope we’re not too late,” the man said with a deep sigh as he lowered his head.

“Have faith, Estel. Legolas may be young, but do not underestimate the will power he possesses. He is stronger than you think.”

Erestor’s encouraging words drew a soft smile from Aragorn. “You are right, as always.” Reaching out his hand, the man clasped the elf on the forearm and allowed the advisor to pull him to his feet. The two companions made their way hurriedly to their waiting horses.

TBC…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List